• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

HDD Installed (model # & size): OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
Cost of HDD: $200
Boot from cold time: about 16 seconds to the "press PS button" prompt, or 13-14 seconds to the health and safety warning
Boot from standby time: not sure
Game boot times (from XMB to actually playing, Disk/Digital):

Knack Disc (post-install, not first boot): about 25 seconds from XMB to "press start" screen

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Samsung 840 EVO SSD current price list:

1 TB = 494,90 €
750 GB = 404,89 €
500 GB = 289,90 €
250 GB = 150,89 €

laptop3vjfx.gif

That is a massive difference! Why?

Not sure what his testing consists of, but my interpretation of standby boot is when the console's light is orange and my tv is no longer getting a signal to press the ps button and start my stopwatch when the console beeps, and then stopping the stopwatch when the PS4 is back on the main screen. tried it 4 times now and it's 3.5 seconds everytime.

That's what i'm doing as well. Just tried again and hit 17 secs. I have every app closed, USB power turned off and i have a PS4 camera. Maybe that's adding extra time for me? What's your settings like?

Rizzilio

Neo Member
That's what i'm doing as well. Just tried again and hit 17 secs. I have every app closed, USB power turned off and i have a PS4 camera. Maybe that's adding extra time for me? What's your settings like?

Huh. I did it with no apps open, I have a PS camera, and I have usb charging on. I even tried it with resogun still being an open app and I still hit 3.5 seconds. Other than me having a HDD at 7200 rpm and you having an SSHD 5400 rpm I can't see why ours would be so different. Video below shows my standby mode booting from the ps4 beep to UI in roughly 3.5 seconds.

Video

DBT85

Ok, early scores on the doors. Would be nice if we can work out this boot from standby thing guys! Can you both just confirm, are you doing full standby or just "low power state" standby?

uMj3wGd.png

I'd be interested to know if you speed change with the Camera unplugged.

Krakn3Dfx

PS4 doesn't support TRIM, right? Seems like an SSD drive might have issues in the system down the line? Would the SSHD have fewer problems?

Ok, early scores on the doors. Would be nice if we can work out this boot from standby thing guys!

uMj3wGd.png
Sheesh, that 3 second standby boot is something else. It'd be nice if someone else could try out Resogun/Killzone/Contrast to see if that speed translates into games as well.

graywolf323

Ok, early scores on the doors. Would be nice if we can work out this boot from standby thing guys! Can you both just confirm, are you doing full standby or just "low power state" standby?

uMj3wGd.png

I should be able to fill in the missing gaps for the stock drive later tonight when I get home since I have those four games (though I have digital versions of them all, what is P?)

DBT85

I should be able to fill in the missing gaps for the stock drive later tonight when I get home since I have those four games (though I have digital versions of them all, what is P?)

P is Physical :) I've now added that to the sheet for the next time I grab a screen.

Thank you very much for your help.

If you can, do everything you can, not just the missing ones.

USC-fan

Banned

uMj3wGd.png

Bravo

Dont know why tech sites havent done this for us!

madmook

Guessing P is for physical disc version (though it should fully run from drive after fully caching/installing).

Edit: beaten. Myself, I'll probably get a Samsung EVO, but my PS4 gets delivered tomorrow from Amazon, and right now I'm more worried about getting a DOA system. :(

Shahed

uMj3wGd.png

I'm pretty sure the 2nd and 3rd on the list are the exact same drive. Not sure why there's a performance discrepancy.

Anyone have a way to test how much hotter the PS4 runs at with a 7200rpm drive?

Most newer SSD's have built in TRIM as I understand.

If only the drive has it though, you still need to do periodic reboots and idles to let the garbage collection happen. At the OS level, its always monitoring and doing it so always going into standby only(not a proper shut down) wouldn't be quite as bad.
I'd be very hesitant to put an SSD in a console that you don't always fully shut down when done, if you cared about data at all.

Rizzilio

Neo Member

uMj3wGd.png

Didn't know there was an option, I just went to standby mode when I hold down the PS button. I'm assuming that is low power standby, and if so where would I go for this 'full standby'?

knitoe

There's no way standby is 3.5s. I have retry it a few times and consistently getting 25s. I go into standby mode by hitting PS button, selecting standby mode, wait until the console light turns orange, restart by hitting PS button on controller, and 25s later, I can select something.

DBT85

Huh. I did it with no apps open, I have a PS camera, and I have usb charging on. I even tried it with resogun still being an open app and I still hit 3.5 seconds. Other than me having a HDD at 7200 rpm and you having an SSHD 5400 rpm I can't see why ours would be so different. Video below shows my standby mode booting from the ps4 beep to UI in roughly 3.5 seconds.

Video

Hot damn. Video now working

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
the 1 GB SSHD is not aviable on amazon anymore:

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

*tears*

th4tguy

Sheesh, that 3 second standby boot is something else. It'd be nice if someone else could try out Resogun/Killzone/Contrast to see if that speed translates into games as well.

That is the drive I have as well. I have a 3 second standby to start boot time and would love to try load times for games but they aren't done downloading yet..... Maybe sometime tonight when they are done, I'll be able to.

DBT85

That is the drive I have as well. I have a 3 second standby to start boot time and would love to try load times for games but they aren't done downloading yet..... Maybe sometime tonight when they are done, I'll be able to.

Just to confirm which you wrote rather clearly already.

You have the same drive, and have the same fast Standby Boot time of 3 ish seconds?

Any times you can post when you get the chance will be most welcome.

th4tguy

Basically what I'm seeing in this thread is the ps4 benefits tremendously from 7200 rpm hdd compared to 5400 rpm and even sshd 5400 rpm

Rizzilio

Neo Member
Okay maybe this is what's going on - Link to PS support site for standby

If you have no options checked for standby features, it will just shutoff, even if you select to go to standby.

There are three methods are available for entering Standby Mode:

Touch the power button on the front of the PS4 for at least 1 second, until the system beeps. Hint: If there are no check-marks set in the settings under (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Standby Mode], there is no need for Standby Mode and the system turns off completely.

Basically what I'm seeing in this thread is the ps4 benefits tremendously from 7200 rpm hdd compared to 5400 rpm and even sshd 5400 rpm
That's what it's looking like so far. If that 3.5 second boot time translates similarly to games, then I know what drive I'll be going for!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... seems like it might be worth going to at least a 7200 RPM drive. Going to wait for some more results to come in, though.

knitoe

People saying 3.5s standby. Are you going by when PS4 turns off or when it comes back on? The video posted above clearly shows ~25s for the later which what I am getting.

DBT85

People saying 3.5s standby. Are you going by when PS4 turns off or when it comes back on? The video posted above clearly shows ~25s for the later which what I am getting.

That video he puts it in standby, leaves it until his screen is running the screen saver. Then you hear the beep as the console turns on and 3-4 seconds later it's at the menu.

The gap in the middle is just him leaving it to go dead and the TV to realise it lost signal.

Please check the OP, there are some instructions there that might help you enable faster Standby times.

Isn't the 2nd drive int the Excel spreadsheet the same drive? Why is the difference in boot from standby so drastic (3.5 sec vs 25 sec)?

I think they might be the same. But I'm not 100%.

knitoe

That video he puts it in standby, leaves it until his screen is running the screen saver. Then you hear the beep as the console turns on and 3-4 seconds later it's at the menu.

The gap in the middle is just him leaving it to go dead and the TV to realise it lost signal.

Please check the OP, there are some instructions there that might help you enable faster Standby times.

I see now. I was measuring from ON > selecting standby > standby (orange) > ON. While, 3.5S is from standby (orange) > ON.

kyser73

Video

God DAMN that's fast. Bookmarked that drive on Amazon, although gonna wait a while as I can see myself needing it atm.

viveks86

Okay maybe this is what's going on - Link to PS support site for standby

If you have no options checked for standby features, it will just shutoff, even if you select to go to standby.

Very interesting! No wonder people were reporting similar times for cold boots and standby. This should definitely go in the OP for people to test for themselves. 3.5 seconds is fantastic!

If we get the corresponding number for 5400 RPM, and it's within 5-8 seconds, I won't bother upgrading for a while

Top Bottom