• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO 4K native games (will update the list everytime there is a new game)

Until Dawn and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood are two different games
So which one is getting enhancements?! Please say both! I would happily play through Until Dawn for a fourth time on The Pro.

We're three weeks out from the Pro's release. That is so wild. November 10 will be here in the blink of an eye.

Not likely Witcher is super old now....

Mordor is even older. I doubt we get a patch though and I don't mind.

So which one is getting enhancements?! Please say both! I would happily play through Until Dawn for a fourth time on The Pro.

We're three weeks out from the Pro's release. That is so wild. November 10 will be here in the blink of an eye.

Nothing has been said about Until Dawn getting a Pro patch.

Metfanant

It could be a tough tradeoff in some games. Do you go for a downsampled 1080p resolution with extra effects and IQ goodies, or do you go for a 4k resolution with "original" effects.

What if I have a 1080p Tv and the game has ONLY a 4k mode and not a 1080p enhanced?
I'll have to change from "Auto" to "4k" to play the game in 1080p supersampled?

Be careful that you're not confusing things, or getting your expectations out of whack...

Its likely that "1080p enhanced" modes with the extra bells and whistles will NOT be downsampled...

To downsample, or supersample you need to render at a higher resolution than 1080p...which would likely make the extra effects not possible...

"1080p enhanced" more than likely means render at native 1080p with the extra effects that won't be present in 4k mode, which will be the same as the base PS4, but much higher resolution...

Planet

UD: Rush of Blood already/is going to have Pro support?
We don't know for certain, but it can be speculated that the leak was correct in this also and all VR games are enhanced for Pro (not "work on Pro", all PS4 games since day 1 do that). I guess we will know soon, but I think it will be so.

Mind you, developers are free to do with Pro support whatever they want. The easiest way for them to deal with it is to raise the internal rendering resolution, which is beneficial for image quality especially in VR, but don't expect anything else for most games.

Arlen777

For 4k tv owners: If games dont have option to manually choose between 4k mode and 1080 Enhanced mode, can we limit ps4 video output to 1080, so that we can fool game into thinking its 1080 tv and thus giving us 1080 enhanced graphics/fps?

score01

For 4k tv owners: If games dont have option to manually choose between 4k mode and 1080 Enhanced mode, can we limit ps4 video output to 1080, so that we can fool game into thinking its 1080 tv and thus giving us 1080 enhanced graphics/fps?

The OG PS4 right now lets you set this in the system settings. Leave to auto or specify a preferred res.

Planet

can we limit ps4 video output to 1080, so that we can fool game into thinking its 1080 tv
Actually you don't fool the game because you are using your TV then as a 1080p display. And that means the upscaling will be done by the TV. That might not be the perfect solution, some devices introduce input lag and I don't know if the image quality is worse than what the Pro provides, but I can imagine it is for some displays.

The best solution is that games let you have the option. I hope that becomes the norm.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I got an email through about PES 2017 getting the 4K treatment.

With the advent of Sony’s new PlayStationPro® format, KONAMI’s November 1.03 update will introduce a 4K resolution mode within PES 2017, adding greater visual definition running at 60FPS. The 1.03 update will also see the introduction of key elements centred on KONAMI’s premier partnership teams: Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund. KONAMI has entered into long term partnerships with both teams and November will see extensive additions designed to reflect the match day experience at the English and German clubs.

Yeah I was looking at some of the cards a few days ago and I'm thinking about the BlackMagic Designs Intensity Pro 4K since its the cheapest one I've seen so far. Gonna look at some reviews for it first before buying it.

I have the card and had no problems with it but it won't do 4K recording since it only does 4K30 not 4K60. The more expensive Decklinks would but you're looking at serious cash.

I got an email through about PES 2017 getting the 4K treatment.

I have the card and had no problems with it but it won't do 4K recording since it only does 4K30 not 4K60. The more expensive Decklinks would but you're looking at serious cash.

How did you get that email? Do you need to subscribe for something?

Can you please post a screen grab of those details here? Thanks.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
How did you get that email? Do you need to subscribe for something?

Can you please post a screen grab of those details here? Thanks.

It was through PR yesterday. Attached was a doc with info about it and other pieces.

Edit: They've posted it on Twitter - https://twitter.com/officialpes/status/788711288763510784

CvIPAPEWYAAcErU.jpg

1JlZSDm.png

October 19th, 2016

KONAMI details content for first two free PES 2017 download updates, adding more likenesses, stadia and match day enhancements

Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. has detailed the content of the first two free download updates for its critically acclaimed PES 2017 title.

KONAMI is committed to continually improving the on-field and presentation elements of PES 2017 and will regularly offer free updates throughout the year. The first download will be available at the end of October, with a second to follow at the end of November, and more to follow.

October’s 1.02 update will add a number of improved facial likenesses to players within the game. PES 2017 is globally recognised for its stunning player likenesses and the use of Player ID systems to ensure the on-field stars both move and play like their real-life counterparts. The October file will recognise over 39 players who have excelled in the early part of the season, and will offer photo-realistic reproductions of the likes of Wissam Ben Yedder, Mario Lemina, Aymeric Laporte, Victor Wanyama and Denis Suarez, and will also see their individual playing styles recreated within the game. The 1.02 download will also update the pitch side hoardings and introduce new official boot styles to the game, including the option of choosing a variety of studs.

With the advent of Sony’s new PlayStationPro® format, KONAMI’s November 1.03 update will introduce a 4K resolution mode within PES 2017, adding greater visual definition running at 60FPS. The 1.03 update will also see the introduction of key elements centred on KONAMI’s premier partnership teams: Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund. KONAMI has entered into long term partnerships with both teams and November will see extensive additions designed to reflect the match day experience at the English and German clubs.

Liverpool’s iconic Anfield stadium will be added to PES 2017’s roster on in-game venues, and will also be the first to show the club’s brand new stand within a video game. World recognised Liverpool songs and chants, including ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ will also be heard as the players walk on to the pitch and during matches. Borussia Dortmund’s stunning Signal Iduna Park ground will also be perfectly recreated for use in the game, will both licensed teams will have squad likenesses recreated, bringing the club stars to life.

Both the PES 2017 October and November updates will also add more official iconography and official boot styles to the main game, with kit additions and various bug fixes. More details will be revealed soon.

For more information, please visit us at:
https://www.konami.com/wepes/2017/eu/en/
www.twitter.com/officialpes
www.facebook.com/PES

Media Contact:
Steve Merrett
Voltage PR, 020 3372 0930

About Konami Group
KONAMI HOLDINGS CORPORATION was established in 1973, and became a holding company of the Konami Group on March 31, 2006. KONAMI HOLDINGS CORPORATION covers the fields of "Digital Entertainment Business", "Health & Fitness Business", “Gaming & Systems Business" and "Pachinko & Pachinko Slot Machines Business". KONAMI HOLDINGS CORPORATION went public on Tokyo Stock Exchange in 1988 and the London Stock Exchange in 1999. Home Page URL: www.konami.co.jp. Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. is a wholly-owned subsidiary, responsible for popular franchises like Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill and Pro Evolution Soccer amongst other top sellers. Konami Group is also the manufacturer of the wildly popular Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME, which has sold more than 25 billion cards worldwide. For more information concerning Konami Digital Entertainment and its products, please visit https://www.konami.com

All copyrights or trademarks are the property of their respective owners and are used under permission.

Planet

Sorry to say, but I can't read the keyword "native" anywhere in that press release. It says "a 4K mode", which could very well be checkerboard or other non-native means to achieve it. Also:
- Bound (Native 4K@60FPS + MSAA x2 upscaled from MSAAx8 in normal gameplay / in VR mode: rendering to 4K internal screen which is then supersampled to 1080P display in PSVR + new effects like volumetric lights + sharper shadows)
Not trying to downplay the developer's technical achievements, but for clarity's sake it should make clear that geometry is native 4K, but textures and particles remain at 1080p on the Pro in UHD mode.

vivekTO

Not trying to downplay the developer's technical achievements, but for clarity's sake it should make clear that geometry is native 4K, but textures and particles remain at 1080p on the Pro in UHD mode.

Sorry, are you implying that , the game should not be called native 4k , as it is rendering particles and textures at lower resolution ?? I might be confused with the wordings?

Planet

Sorry, are you implying that , the game should not be called native 4k , as it is rendering particles and textures at lower resolution ?? I might be confused with the wordings?
Hear it from a team member (AFAIK) himself:
I'll write about Bound on PRO. Bound will run in hybrid mode. During normal gameplay we will be using 2160P 60Hz MSAA x2 upscaled from MSAAx8 . It means that geometric quality of rendering will be exactly the same as native 4K, but textures will be sampled for block of 2x2 pixels. In our game we are using almost no textures so the difference is hard to see in motion.
On the other hand we use native 4K in photo mode, which is amazing!
It's worth keeping in mind that it's not just texture sampling that takes place at 1080p but also lighting and any other fragment shader work normally done on a per-pixel basis with the sole exception of geometric coverage.
That's absolutely correct.
Again: it still is great, and it demonstrates the flexibilities the Pro provides for developers to do exactly what they want to achieve better quality.

vivekTO

Hear it from a team member (AFAIK) himself:

Again: it still is great, and it demonstrates the flexibilities the Pro provides for developers to do exactly what they want to achieve better quality.

Oh ok , I was confused. As even some earlier games used to do same thing ,where Passes like Lighting , GI , AO are done in Half Res or Quarter Res , but then all the Buffers is compiled to form a native Resolution internally , whatever will it be.
I though people now arguing that it is not native untill unless everything is rendered at 4K internally(Lighting and Particles) .

Planet

I know it's somewhat bean counting, but what else is this thread about? The thing in this particular case is, the difference between PS4 regular and Pro is huge in geometry, while particles and textures are similar. Unlike e.g. Smite, where the graphics were simple enough to ramp up the resolution in every aspect (afaik). It's at least worth mentioning, if this thread serves any purpose.

But I seem to be in the minority here with the insistence on minor details. Same with PES 2017 PR wording, which nobody seems to mind. Maybe this is just not the thread I'd like it to be and I will stop bickering now.

pottuvoi

Banned
This explains it.
MSAA-Based Coarse Shading for Power-Efficient Rendering on High Pixel-Density Displays.

We saw some similar tricks on ps3 games as well. (Rendered 960x1080 2xMSAA and directly output the MSAA buffer to 1080p output.)

For 4k, it's actually quite nice choice, we will be seeing lot more of these in future. (Especially flat shaded games.)

vivekTO

I know it's somewhat bean counting, but what else is this thread about? The thing in this particular case is, the difference between PS4 regular and Pro is huge in geometry, while particles and textures are similar. Unlike e.g. Smite, where the graphics were simple enough to ramp up the resolution in every aspect (afaik). It's at least worth mentioning, if this thread serves any purpose.

But I seem to be in the minority here with the insistence on minor details. Same with PES 2017 PR wording, which nobody seems to mind. Maybe this is just not the thread I'd like it to be and I will stop bickering now.

Ah Sorry man , that's not my intention was, Feel free to discuss.

My thoughts on PS4pro and Scorpio:In future what we will see mostly is increase in framerates and resolution , but internally the assets will remain same as for PS4/Xbox one , with some additional features like SSR or Volumetric lighting . that's why most current games are implementing Dynamic resolution System, Just so to leverage extra power when provided via these new console upgrades, without any Patches. And my guess is that performance will be all over the Place. As seen in battlefield 1.

That's why The developers (bound) Have to put extra effort to hit the target (native4k) while using unconventional methods of rendering graphics.

Harp

Have we officially gone from the human eye cant see the difference between 720p and 1080p at more then 6 feet so 4k is a waste of time. To breaking down every game on the difference between checkerboard and native 4k of which you can see the difference at more then 5 inches?

Planet

Paying attention to minute details does not mean they are the cornerstone of gaming. You can enjoy games and still have a technical discussions about the finer aspects of how the visuals are constructed. It could even be considered just distantly related - after all, if you crave every bit of detail you can get, there is no alternative to a high-end PC.

Lady Gaia

Have we officially gone from the human eye cant see the difference between 720p and 1080p at more then 6 feet so 4k is a waste of time. To breaking down every game on the difference between checkerboard and native 4k of which you can see the difference at more then 5 inches?

In a thread that purports to list only games that are native 4K how can you not expect a reasonable debate on what constitutes "native?"

Arlen777

Actually you don't fool the game because you are using your TV then as a 1080p display. And that means the upscaling will be done by the TV. That might not be the perfect solution, some devices introduce input lag and I don't know if the image quality is worse than what the Pro provides, but I can imagine it is for some displays.

The best solution is that games let you have the option. I hope that becomes the norm.

Yes hopefully every game will have the option to switch the modes if you have 4k tv. One game that comes in mind is Fallout 4, since i have a 4k tv i dont want to be forced to play it in 4k, i ll rather have better fps

Lady Gaia

Nice article. Still more than a little vague on the implementation of the ID buffer but the basic concept comes across clearly enough. As expected, most AAA title are relying on some form of temporal reconstruction rather than striving for strict native rendering, and some titles are going to opt for upscaling in conjunction with checkerboard rendering to hit what they see as an ideal balance between eye candy and image quality.

It's a great to be a gamer on the receiving end of all this work. Quibbling over the details will remain something of a sport, I'm sure, but for most the games are simply going to look phenomenal whether displayed on a 4K set or in 1080p. I have zero doubt my PS4 Pro is going to make me very happy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nice. Added to OP.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor uses dynamic resolution and is 80-90% of the times native 4K and this not an indie or an old game or remaster and everyone knows how demanding is that game

I don't think it means that it's native 80-90% of the time. I think it means that the resolution is 80-90% the pixel count of 4k.

catspit

I already have a PS4 but I don't have a 4K TV yet... Really struggling with upgrading to the Pro, or just holding off untill I have a better TV. Just not sure if I would even notice the few graphics tweeks for the 1080P people.

Shadow of Mordor was great looking rendered at 1080p on a standard PS4.

At 4K on the Pro it will be game changing.
Such an "old" game getting this support has me considering going for trophy cleanup and getting that Platinum. Yet so many games, so little time! 😐

Top Bottom