• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rumors , APU code named 'Liverpool' Radeon HD 7970 GPU Steamroller CPU 16GB Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think giving developers the freedom, time and money they need (of course there have to be some restrictions) yields in far better results than improved hardware alone. Especially with 2 nearly identical consoles the difference will be game studio not the GPU clock speeds. The problem is that many people expect wonders through new hardware alone but in the mean time budgets are cut, development time gets shorter and shorter - so the big jump to "next-gen" needs new hardware and new ways for developers to make their product stand out.

Well I played most of KZ1, and completed KZ2. Had KZ3 for months (because my brother purchased it) and didn't play it. KZ2 played like trash, story was crap, it looked good, amazing but that doesn't make it into great game. So no, I am not speaking out of my ass, I did play a few KZ games. Just my opinion. They should make engines for other Sony studios.

But I am not going to say that I am not looking forward to their new IP, because I do. Let's hope they deliver

I was a PC gamer with minimal experience with console FPS's and I loved Killzone 2. It's not a ground breaking, 10/10 FPS but I enjoyed it A LOT....

Can these guys improve? Yes, they can. Story is trash in all FPS's...even Half Life. And the gunplay in Killzone 2 was awesome!! It reminded me a lot of FEAR.

Melchiah

Well I played most of KZ1, and completed KZ2. Had KZ3 for months (because my brother purchased it) and didn't play it. KZ2 played like trash, story was crap, it looked good, amazing but that doesn't make it into great game. So no, I am not speaking out of my ass, I did play a few KZ games. Just my opinion. They should make engines for other Sony studios.

But I am not going to say that I am not looking forward to their new IP, because I do. Let's hope they deliver

KZ2 had its flaws, but I enjoyed its grittier approach, and played it through two times. I never bought the 3rd one though.

i-Lo

untitled-2pd9fz.gif

Dunno, seems a pretty high bar considering, iirc, they were running the un-optimized version on 3 GTX 680s.

I'd say a safe bet would be to assume that PS4 should attain the visual quality of BF3 on ultimate settings at 720p@30fps.

RaijinFY

Dunno, seems a pretty high bar considering, iirc, they were running the un-optimized version on 3 GTX 680s.

I'd say a safe bet would be to assume that PS4 should attain the visual quality of BF3 on ultimate settings at 720p@30fps.

Is there any difference between ultimate and very high?

I was a PC gamer with minimal experience with console FPS's and I loved Killzone 2. It's not a ground breaking, 10/10 FPS but I enjoyed it A LOT....

Can these guys improve? Yes, they can. Story is trash in all FPS's...even Half Life. And the gunplay in Killzone 2 was awesome!! It reminded me a lot of FEAR.

KZ2 had its flaws, but I enjoyed its grittier approach, and played it through two times. I never bought the 3rd one though.

totally agree with this. played kz2 and played the kz3 demo, didn't even want to try and play the new one. call it control lag or whatever, the weapons in the second game felt like they had weight and felt like "true" guns. also, much darker setting which i enjoyed too.
killzone games are nowhere the best fps games ever made, but i'll be damned if kz2 wasn't a blast from beginning to end.

Sid

Wasn't it running on a single 680?

And a console that can run BF3 ultra 1080p/30fps could make games that look much better due to a closed platform etc.

Just taking a current game from 720p/30 to 1080p/60 would require 4xthe shader power (geometry wouldn't change).

I don't expect PS4 or the 720 to run games at native 1080p, i think they will go with 720p native and 60fps over 1080p native, lower graphical effects and 30 fps.

I think there's no way Sony/MS would settle on mere 2GB of memory,
which is the same amount their competitor's system has, and which is released on the market probably at least a year before theirs.

If you read my later post than you quoted i did say if there is one thing they might upgrade over the original leak then it would be an extra 2GB's of Ram.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't expect PS4 or the 720 to run games at native 1080p, i think they will go with 720p native and 60fps over 1080p native, lower graphical effects and 30 fps.

I think games will either be 720p/60 or 1080p/30 depending on what developers prioritize.

That Star Wars 1313 E3 footage was running on 3 x GTX 680's combined with a top of the line, cutting edge Intel CPU and 16GB's of Ram and even then it was only getting 30 fps.

Link -

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/star-wars-1313-preview/
The Samaritan demo was also originally shown on a crazy setup like that and has since been shown on lower end hardware. The E3 build was probably super early.

Probably MS and Sony are making "changes" to the hardware to run "ST 1313" and "Watch dogs" as they were seen on E32012

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Probably MS and Sony are making "changes" to the hardware to run "ST 1313" and "Watch dogs" as they were seen on E32012

I still think that 1313 and Watch_Dogs were shown to get MS and Sony to beef up specs because people will now have an expectation of what the next-gen should look like.

Racer30

BF3 launched in 2011. PS4 most likely will launch in 2014. You mean it will drive this at 720p@30fps? Your cellphone will be able to do this in 2014/15. Please do the math people

i-Lo

BF3 launched in 2011. PS4 most likely will launch in 2014. You mean it will drive this at 720p@30fps? Your cellphone will be able to do this in 2014/15. Please do the math people

I guess we'll revisit that statement in 2014/15 then.

I am being extremely cautious with expectation here. That's why I'd rather focus on next gen game market changing to include more F2P games (especially on PS console) and other features than outright specs. I used to dream big till StevieP gently let most us down saying that our eyes are bigger than our stomachs especially with all the bitching about price. Apparently, if it doesn't fit the price range of "certain" members, then the console will be DOA. While I may mock these gormless individuals, for the rumoured specs, we have seen they attain "good" results on PC. I don't think it's realistic to expect a GPU equivalent of 7770 or 7750 (or their series 8 counterparts) down-clocked to around 800MHz allied with an "OK" CPU designed to draw less wattage (once again, I've been told by experts of GAF that going over 200W will cause heat related issues) will run games like SW1313 or Watchdogs without serious optimizations (read: most likely gimped) and/or reduction in resolution to the base HD standard, 720p.

Hmm silly me, I allways assumed this profile represented my own opinion. I guess I was wrong. I appologize.

So now you are speaking for majority?There was no "I"! How this works? aghh

It's sold quite a few copies to date, indicating it has some popularity. It is amusing how you failed to understand basic logic in connecting the dots. I love how you apparently have no concept of the difference between conjecture and statements derived from facts.

Reiko

Banned
I guess we'll revisit that statement in 2014/15 then.

I am being extremely cautious with expectation here. That's why I'd rather focus on next gen game market changing to include more F2P games (especially on PS console) and other features than outright specs. I used to dream big till StevieP gently let most us down saying that our eyes are bigger than our stomachs especially with all the bitching about price. Apparently, if it doesn't fit the price range of "certain" members, then the console will be DOA. While I may mock these gormless individuals, for the rumoured specs, we have seen they attain "good" results on PC. I don't think it's realistic to expect a GPU equivalent of 7770 or 7750 (or their series 8 counterparts) down-clocked to around 800MHz allied with an "OK" CPU designed to draw less wattage (once again, I've been told by experts of GAF that going over 200W will cause heat related issues) will run games like SW1313 or Watchdogs without serious optimizations (read: most likely gimped) and/or reduction in resolution to the base HD standard, 720p.

I highly expect them to be in 720p for optimal performance. 1080p? lmao

A GPU as slow as the 77xx series (in late 2013 or even beyond that) would be incredibly disappointing.

What we know is that Durango development platform is finally running on AMD hardware, as the company taped out GPU which will be in use for the Xbox Next console. The initial Durango XDK (Xbox Development Kit) featured an 8-core Sandy Bridge processor (SNB-E, LGA2011 on a custom motherboard with embedded memory), 8GB of DDR3 memory and Nvidia Fermi-class graphics (GTX 570). The new kit allegedly comes with 8-core FX processor, and Southern Islands graphics, with the final console allegedly featuring Sea Islands, AMD's second generation 28nm GPU hardware.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/there-s...rosoft-xbox-to-be-named-xbox-next-/17552.html

A GTX 570 is like a HD 7870?

Globox_82

Banned
I still think that 1313 and Watch_Dogs were shown to get MS and Sony to beef up specs because people will now have an expectation of what the next-gen should look like.

Am I the only one not that impressed by these two games? Sure they look amazing but do they look that much better then TLOU, GOWA, beyond? I don't think so, and neither will to an average gamer. IF that is the target. I know it's unrealistic to expect the same kind of leap as in previous gens but still.

Reiko

Banned
Am I the only one not that impressed by these two games? Sure they look amazing but do they look that much better then TLOU, GOWA, beyond? I don't think so, and neither will to an average gamer. IF that is the target. I know it's unrealistic to expect the same kind of leap as in previous gens but still.

They look much better.

Only Beyond has almost comparable model fidelity. But Star Wars 1313 has that and higher fidelity environments.

jaypah

Watch_Dogs is an open world game though. Compare that with infamous 2 and the difference is like night and day. I can't even imagine what a GOW with it's "developer controlled camera" could look like.

That article is erroneous. The early Durango alpha kits have 2 quad core xeons, 12GB of ram, and a 6870/6950? GHZ edition.

Is it based in leaked XDK photo?

What if they (MS) change the motherboard (and CPU) and Xeon is not inside?

Can we expect something with this power (8850 or less)?

AMD%20Radeon%20HD8870%20and%20Radeon%20HD8850.png

Racer30

Native 1080p will be standard next gen, of course! Its ok to have low expectations but come on!

Graphics memory bandwith will increase tenfold or close to it, and the majority of tv sets out there will support 1080p in 2014...this is a no brainer! There is no better use of that fill rate/memory bandwith than going native resolution first and foremost.

Are you all here setting expectations unrealistically low so you dont get disappointed?

1080p content push will be huge. Some devs might go 720p, but I feel both console makers will want 1080p content, and Sony more with 1080p 60fps. I've been saying that from the start. They want 3D 1080p content.

Wwiqk.png

HDMI 2.0 is expected to be announced this year.

Reiko

Banned
Native 1080p will be standard next gen, of course! Its ok to have low expectations but come on!

Graphics memory bandwith will increase tenfold or close to it, and the majority of tv sets out there will support 1080p in 2014...this is a no brainer! There is no better use of that fill rate/memory bandwith than going native resolution first and foremost.

Are you all here setting expectations unrealistically low so you dont get disappointed?

Of course! That goes with everything except dating.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar

Sure hope your right, I'd take 1080p native anything at this point!

I mean won't AA become less of an issue as we move up the resolution ladder....given a fixed screen size of course.

AA will always be an issue.

It's noticeable even with 1080p games this gen.

It's less noticeable. At this point, pixel data is more important than jaggies. Not being able to see a bad guy across the screen because he's a 50 pixel blurry mess is a problem that is huge right now.

KageMaru

The ps4 will launch in 2013 and cell phones won't be running BF3 graphics in 5 years let alone 2 or 3.

Is really "impossible" to Xbox Durango and PS4 to have a GPU with the power (or similar) as a GTX 680?

Maybe not impossible but HIGHLY unlikely for multiple reasons.

Those games you listed aren't even in the same ballpark as SW or SD.

Hehe!

I`m expecting 1080p@60fps 4-8x MSSA for the most part. Of course 1080p@30fps for some titles.

You're going to be disappointed.

i-Lo

I'm guaranteeing that in a closed system 1080p will not be mandated. 720p@30fps will still be acceptable although, I expect we'll see a bevy of 720p@60fps titles. I can only think of PD that'll aim for the 1080p@60fps mark for GT6P and GT6.

Don't bet on third party to show a system's potential. It'll be a first party. For Sony it'll be PD, SS & ND and for MS it'll be 343.

I don't think it's setting the bar too low to think it'll be a bit more than marginally better than Nintendo's offering next year pertaining to visuals. I say this because of how obsessed MS and Sony have become to utilize their resources to find innovative UI solutions (kinect, move) than outright hardware advancement. Feels like next gen will be more about making (forcing) players to experience games either hands free (on rails) or wiggle waggle with incredible precision.

Stop setting unrealistic expectations. Do we really need another Sony E3 2005?

Just wait for real specs and then hype yourself.

Video games are suppose to be fun.

Why not be able to dream? Who cares if it leads to disappointment.

dreaming of what could be is just as fun as playing the actual games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom