• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gxgear

The fact that they have shipped over 6m and will likely hit 7m+ before the quarter ends means they can't have estimated near 5m sales or they would be tooled up for 5m worth of production, which they hit towards the end of December by my calculations.

Shipped or sold?

Kinan

Well, those are shipped, but at the beginning Wii sold almost anything it shipped, so I added it:

ps4saleslong272uht.png

PS4 is the fastest selling home console in history so far.

EA probably are regretting nothing, they must got a lot money from MS for all those exclusivity deals.

EA have been chasing CoD money for years and if Titanfall had been on all formats they may have had it.

Now the best they can do is release Titanfall 2 on PS4 sometime (maybe a year or 2) after Destiny is released which could well have cornered the market on the world biggest selling console by then.

I think taking money up front will be proven to be a massive mistake. It may have been a ton of cash in the short term but if it comes at the cost of $b every year then it will have been foolish in the extreme.

It's all speculation of course but I don't know any franchise that has not released the first iteration on a format going on to dominate it. Time will tell but they must be concerned at the very least.

Shadownet

Banned
That number would be a lot higher is Sony could produce more PS4. It's almost impossible to find a PS4 in store in the US right now.

The inclination angle of the PS4... it's not "strictly-strictly"(I mean the inclination angle goes down a little after about 3 weeks) increasing... and that within the first 2 months? Production-wise it doesn't seem logical and all other lines do increase strictly.
Did a manufacturing line explode, did interest drop after 3 weeks right before christmas?!? Did they keep shitloads in storage before launch and then somewhat steadily emptied their mega-storage instead of just selling them straight away on day 1??!

...no, really. I have no idea.

Jack cw

Anyway, looking at this, Titanfall definitely does seem like that last bulkhead before a proper price drop and kinectless SKU. If Titanfall doesn't manage things on its own, it's either that or - most probably - cede very strong dominance to Sony. Maybe PS2 style dominance or close to it.

This is true. After TitanFall, there is actually nothing coming for a long time that could act as "system seller". The only option if TitanFall doesnt move as many consoles as expected is a price cut and/or ditching Kinect, but that would kill any confindence in the system as Microsoft would directly admit failure. I dont think there is much to do for Microsoft. This generation was lost before it began and right now its heading to a PS2 like era.

Some people don't understand that most games played are third party games, so people buy the console that's cheaper. It's not rocket science.

Exactly.

Cheaper console and better versions of third party games are likely to be enough to win this war alone even before you take into account the massive first party lineup that's no doubt coming.

Sony have pulled a blinder.

The inclination angle of the PS4... it's not "strictly-strictly"(I mean the inclination angle goes down a little after 2 weeks) increasing... in the first month? Production-wise it doesn't seem logical and all other lines do increase strictly.
Did a manufacturing line explode, did interest drop after 2 weeks right before christmas?!? Did they keep shitloads in storage before launch and then somewhat steadily emptied their mega-storage instead of just selling them straight away on day 1??!

stock diverted for the japanese launch and we had rumors that units were being air freighted for december instead of shipping which inflates dec numbers but causes a vacuum afterwards

ZehDon

EA have been chasing CoD money for years and if Titanfall had been on all formats they many have had it...
Well, it's worth noting that Call of Duty didn't begin its march to domination until the second entry. An obvious component of the EA/Microsoft Titanfall deal was marketing. With Microsoft selling Titanfall for EA, EA get to save a bundle on promotion, and are free to take the franchise multiplatform once Microsoft have done all the hard work establishing it. It's a fantastic deal for EA - you'd be hard pressed to get a better one in this industry.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Great now we need a DriveClub date. Speaking of which, people were saying that the April 9 date is fake because it is a Wednesday, however April 4 is PS Plus Update day..mmmmm.

Yes, the date appears to be a European release date and PS+ gets updated on a Wed here.

Suzzopher

We've seen nothing of DriveClub for months, there is no way it'll be released in a month with absolutely nothing being seen of it for so long. I think we'll start hearing more about the game in the next month with a June launch.

derExperte

As a European who's now been waiting 7 weeks to get a replacement unit these numbers start to really piss me off. How about throwing us a bone here, Sony?

edit: Unbelievable, right after posting this I check my status online and it looks like they found a PS4 for me right this morning.

Copenap

Where is the tablet stuff coming from, is that a new meme I've missed?

Good numbers, really looks like PS4s will remain absent from retail shelves for quite some time. A lot of people here were expecting a sold out PS4 at release and the following months but I think only very few people would have believed you if you told them by March it is still basically impossible to find one in retail and who knows when this will change.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some people don't understand that most games played are third party games, so people buy the console that's cheaper. It's not rocket science.

Reminds me...every time I go into my local Smyths there are a bunch of lads on the PS4 demo kiosk. Playing Fifa.

It is kind of blindingly obvious. It's the better machine for these games - and the next 5+ years of next-gen games - at a lower price.

Where this gets more dangerous again for MS is when we verge into PS4 having so much social proof that it becomes a no-brainer choice for the wider market too. The more popular PS4 is, the more likely this manifests. We may already be verging into this territory - and may explain why it's still selling so well?

MS and Sony had a situation with PS3 and 360 where either were viewed as a viable choice and pretty equally popular. Microsoft needs to at least get XB1 into that position and pretty soon, or network effects on the market could swamp them. If they leave it too late things could become irretrievable on this front - if there is a kinectless SKU coming I'd expect we'll see it fairly sharply after Titanfall.

Well, those are shipped, but at the beginning Wii sold almost anything it shipped, so I added it:

PS4 is the fastest selling home console in history so far.

Wii was an anomaly, the console with the most inconsistent sales ever. Pumping out 20-25m consoles a year for 3 years straight, and then a nosedive into oblivion. PS4 will follow a healthier sales pattern like the PS consoles.

So far PS4 is tracking above Wii but that may not last long. (wii numbers are shipped)

Wii Q1 March 2007: 5.84m
PS4 Q1 March 2014: 6m so far, likely end up 1m ahead of Wii

Wii Q2 June 2007: 9.27m

Wii Q3 Sept 2007: 13.17m (this is where I expect the PS4 to fall behind, even in the summer Wii still sold 4m)

Wii Q4 Dec 2007: 20.14m

ReaperXL7

Nah, surely not. And "cancellation of exclusives"?
They have canceled more than the one "unannounced SSM game" now?
Anyways, SCE has more AAA teams than the competition.
They have canceled several new IP's/games in the last gen (8 Days, The Getaway, SCEE London Action Game, SCEE Cambridge Game, etc.) and still had the most 1st Party Games.
Quite funny how some people are acting now, because one game got canceled at the start of this new gen. Happens every gen. But I'm sure these people know that, but are still ignoring it, just for the sake of bad news ;)

The plural was a mistake, but I make no bones about the fact that I'm very salty that of all the studios they went after it had to be SSM. They are my favorite Sony WWS developer and now we have to wait for who knows how long to see anything from them, and when we do it will likely end up being God of War 4. I'm a big fan of the series but I was excited to see a new IP from them.

Currently? I think all regions will announce something ;)

Last Guardian confirmed.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Some people here are predicting that Xbone will outsell PS4 in March (NPD only). My only prediction is that PS4 will continue to sell every unit shipped. If the Xbone>PS4 crowd are accepting that PS4 will be sold out they have to assume that the Xbone will sell more than all the units Sony are able to ship.

Sure, Microsoft have a lot of stock but that kind of increase in sales is around 100% sold. Has a console ever made that kind of a jump in a month?

darkwing

A lot of people here are predicting that Xbone will outsell PS4 in March (NPD only). My only prediction is that PS4 will continue to sell every unit shipped. If the Xbone>PS4 crowd are accepting that PS4 will be sold out they have to assume that the Xbone will sell more than all the units Sony are able to ship.

Sure, Microsoft have a lot of stock but that kind of increase in sales is around 100% sold. Has a console ever made that kind of a jump in a month?

the PS3 when MGS4 released?

A lot of people here are predicting that Xbone will outsell PS4 in March (NPD only). My only prediction is that PS4 will continue to sell every unit shipped. If the Xbone>PS4 crowd are accepting that PS4 will be sold out they have to assume that the Xbone will sell more than all the units Sony are able to ship.

PS3, from May to June 2008 I think.

ps3mgs4bundle.jpg

S¡mon

Banned
The inclination angle of the PS4... it's not "strictly-strictly"(I mean the inclination angle goes down a little after about 3 weeks) increasing... and that within the first 2 months? Production-wise it doesn't seem logical and all other lines do increase strictly.
Did a manufacturing line explode, did interest drop after 3 weeks right before christmas?!? Did they keep shitloads in storage before launch and then somewhat steadily emptied their mega-storage instead of just selling them straight away on day 1??!

January stock was flown in by airplane into December.

Simpel explanation: exhaustion of stock.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
the PS3 when MGS4 released?

What were the sales figures in those months? Before, during and after. Where can we get those numbers?

We're expecting somewhere the same shipped from PS4/Xbone in Februari that we had in January, right? So, with sales at 280k for PS4 we're expecting close to that amount this month as well. If the Xbone is to overtake the PS4 in March we're basicly saying it'll sell 300k or more? I don't see a month in the near future that the PS4 isn't sold out so that's what I assume going in to this.

RedAssedApe

Banned
We've seen nothing of DriveClub for months, there is no way it'll be released in a month with absolutely nothing being seen of it for so long. I think we'll start hearing more about the game in the next month with a June launch.

That's when Watchdogs is coming out though ;)

Bgamer90

Banned

Unless the console has really compelling games/features as seen with the PS2 still remaining a higher price than the competition even though it was the older console.

But yep, price is definitely playing a huge role.

Huggers

Amazing number congratulations to Sony. Some turn around from their last launch. I'm very happy with mine.

Microsoft need to get rid of Kinect and get their price below Sony, like now. Sales reputation only snowballs into more sales. All the momentum is with Sony. They need to do something drastic. There are no games for Kinect that anyone cares about. Even if there were most gamers don't want it imo. Don't be stubborn. Get rid of it

Kaako

Felium Defensor
We've done our part so far. Developers, now is the time to step up your games and deliver! Make this gen a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom