• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSN

Banned
I guess we are gonna have to edit Adam Boyes's comment so people shut the fuck up about Neogaf not having anything to do with this change.

Kazerei

Banned
If they were just looking at pre-order sales, MS might have thought the problem was the price difference or perhaps the games lineup. But we made it abundantly clear that the problem was DRM. There's really no sense downplaying the effect of gamers' reaction on Microsoft's decision. Even the mainstream media, which barely covers E3, picked up on it. And there have been plenty of cases where negative buzz affects a company's decision.

xaosslug

Erm...nope.

From what I'm piecing together, MS changed their decision on two things:

1. Pre-orders getting hurt/negative press and everything.
2. The army weighed their opinion in.

And if they chose to change it because of the latter then we can assume that this decision was NOT MS's but the people behind the scenes, Big brother, forcing MS to change the decision for the troops and everything.

My opinion ofcourse.

GAF helped get the word out through social media to the mainstream, who likely would have been ignorant to all of this, which impacted pre-orders, of course.

LOL @ the US Army... as if 1) MS hadn't taken that into consideration yonks ago, and 2) the US Army gives a shit about gaming consoles.

anyway, just because you didn't put in any effort/believe in the campaign does not give you the right to take it away from people when the desired is achieved. Just to make yourself feel better.

I'm under no illusion that this campaign is the sole reason for the recent nice happenings, but I certainly believe it helped push things in the right direction.

20cent

Banned
I find quite funny that people really believe that they made Microsoft change their policy because of their epic internet gaming community voice or that what they think count.

They changed how the Xbone will work because of Sony presentation, the unanimous praise for Sony and unanimous hate for MS from the general and vg press/websites after their E3 show. We all knew what it was going to be before Sony's E3, they didn't change it. Sony made them change.

In another hand, did Sony listen to the gamers? maybe.

Sami+

I find quite funny that people really believe that they made Microsoft change their policy because of their epic internet gaming community voice or that what they think count.

They changed how the Xbone will work because of Sony presentation, the unanimous praise for Sony and unanimous hate for MS from the general and vg press/websites after their E3 show. We all knew what it was going to be before Sony's E3, they didn't change it. Sony made them change.

... You're not contradicting anybody. That's what people are saying.

Just because #PS4NoDRM and #XboxOneNoDRM are two different hashtags doesn't mean they were two different movements - it was all one collaborative effort on our part, and we got the ball rolling until it eventually reached critical mass and Microsoft was forced to completely retract all of their policies.

Sony and the extreme mainstream negativity forced their hand, but the reason the mainstream even caught wind of it was because of the movement and Sony's decision, and a huge factor in Sony making that decision was us.

Nobody's implying Steve Ballmer saw #XboxOneNoDRM while he was on twitter, called Matrick up and shouted "CALL IT OFF MAN. ABORT." There are dozens of confounding variables, but the first push came from us. That much is undeniable.

fatty

People who were in this campaign from the start know how instrumental they were in getting their voices heard (Adam Boyes comments, informing news outlets, etc.). For those who just want to enter the thread and do a drive-by claiming the internet backlash had no impact, how about taking 5 minutes and doing a little bit of research next time?

MogCakes

Step 1: Create a tool to unify message (hashtag)
Step 2: spread awareness (twitter, social media, news outlets)
Step 3: vote with wallet (preorder the console that doesn't use DRM from the company that listened to the message being spread)
Step 4: watch the rapidly mounting pressure back MS into a corner and cause them to fold

They changed the Xbox One's policies because awareness of them was spread and disseminated to the public, and said informed public was outraged. Who spread that awareness? Oh right, NeoGAF - the movement from this thread. Meanwhile, people like you sat on their ass and did nothing.

Now get out.

Not sure if anyone actually saw the tweet from Adam Boyes where he actually thanked the OP in it.

They probably don't know half the shit that went on during all of this and are just coming in to thread shit. Ignorant bastards.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

As Evilore said:

#PS4NoDRM is confirmed explicitly by Sony to have influenced Sony's decisions on the DRM front and helped codify the message within the company, and also led to hundreds of news stories which increased awareness with consumers (leading to massively one-sided public perception like with the Amazon poll). That reassurance from consumers led to the confident Sony E3 press conference and Jack Tretton's crowd-pleaser, which fueled even more DRM awareness and pressure on Microsoft.

You're not framing it accurately.

Kato

This winter after some heavy snowfall. Climb up the hill and make a little snowball. Aim for your neighbors car, roll the ball downhill following the snowy slope. When the car gets smashed by a big ass ball tell your neighbor to ignore the ball you aimed at the car but simply blame the snow. Come back and tell us about his reaction.

RpgN

Step 1: Create a tool to unify message (hashtag)
Step 2: spread awareness (twitter, social media, news outlets)
Step 3: vote with wallet (preorder the console that doesn't use DRM from the company that listened to the message being spread)
Step 4: watch the rapidly mounting pressure back MS into a corner and cause them to fold

They changed the Xbox One's policies because awareness of them was spread and disseminated to the public, and said informed public was outraged. Who spread that awareness? Oh right, NeoGAF - the movement from this thread. Meanwhile, people like you sat on their ass and did nothing.

Now get out.

Perfect reply.

I honestly did not expect Microsoft to drop DRM, but it really happened. This is a huge victory and a warning to all companies that try to pull this crap again. Hopefully gaffers and fans in general will stop being so apologetic and try to put up with things they don't like in the future.

As for Microsoft, I don't trust them or think that they did this out of ''listening to fans''. They only did it because they got a lot of backlash from mainstream media and because it was reflected with the pre-orders. I would not be surprised if they plan on trying this again even with the Xbox One later down the line. Then you have this whole big brother Kinect camera. But, I am happy for all the people that genuinely were excited to play on the Xbox One and they were forced to ignore it, now they can enjoy this system like a normal gaming system.

nib95

Banned
I didn't want to make a new post for it because I hate to self-promote like that... but here's a blog post I wrote tonight.

A victory for physical media doesn't have to be a loss for digital innovation

If someone wanted to make a thread I wouldn't be mad.... but, I dont know, probably not thread worthy. But there's a discussion to be had about us wanting to move forward with digital innovations - just not at the expensive of physical goods. I'm trying to start that conversation.

Awesome read. And yes, I agree with much of your post.

Does Krusenstern still stand by his post? ;)

Ah fuck, nearly got an heart attack! I should be careful what I'm talking. Don't know if this counts, but I said I'll tattoo myself if Sony goes completely DRM-free, and they didn't really go completely DRM-free.
Is this a good excuse?

There's still battles to be fought.

Onwards comrades, let's make online on next-gen consoles free and not behind a paywall !!

#XboxNoPAYWALL #PS4NoPAYWALL

I didn't want to make a new post for it because I hate to self-promote like that... but here's a blog post I wrote tonight.

A victory for physical media doesn't have to be a loss for digital innovation

If someone wanted to make a thread I wouldn't be mad.... but, I dont know, probably not thread worthy. But there's a discussion to be had about us wanting to move forward with digital innovations - just not at the expensive of physical goods. I'm trying to start that conversation.
Good post, I always found it strange that the push for digital had to come at the cost of something else. Why not just make digitally purchased content more attractive?

Difference being that Sony did because they cared, and MS because they realized they were getting very few reserves.
Even so, both companies are looking out for the business there are in. But I agree, Sony will have earned a ton of good-will from consumers and I would imagine that they have even won some of the xbox fans over now to purchase a PS4 day one. They had a huge E3 just from being involved with the fans, it was quite incredible, and turned MS around. I've never really dug what MS brought to the industry personally, so I'm not a fan of there products and especially there PR, but it's a win for people that genuinely wanted a Xbone and was truly not supporting it because of DRM and 24-hour check in. Sony still looks to be back on top, but they will have to win the right way now, with the games! Which means everyone wins.

Onwards comrades, let's make online on next-gen consoles free and not behind a paywall !!

Not gonna happen. Sony trying to turn the entertainment division around and subscriptions are the way to go. Perhaps with the right type of exposure, we might get a true PSN subscription where you can pay your $4.50 monthly. I think many would eat that up rather than paying $50 flat fee upfront for the year.

Not gonna happen. Sony trying to turn the entertainment division around and subscriptions are the way to go. Perhaps with the right type of exposure, we might get a true PSN subscription where you can pay your $4.50 monthly. I think many would eat that up rather than paying $50 flat fee upfront for the year.

Yep. Don't be surprised if they start adding streaming Movies and TV shows to Playstation +.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Hey guys, congrats on winning the DRM fight!

I'm wondering if Nintendo fans can get some help and convince Nintendo to end all region locking, even if you aren't a Nintendo fan and aren't planning to get a Wii U or 3DS, it will help the game industry and the fellow gamers, please and thanks! :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585936

That's awesome. I love the Miiverse stuff:

My new post:

zlCfzRBdGP4nCkqvGK

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUYnU-M50rQ

MogCakes

I'd say the only thing that was saved was the Xbone. The PS4 and PC wasn't going anywhere.

Clearly, you haven't kept up with the thread or the responses to the movement elsewhere. Try doing some research before you make a statement like the one you just spewed.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604456

"There were lots of people who gave their opinions on that issue to my Twitter account before E3," SCE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida told Famitsu magazine this week. "It's not that our hardware policies are decided strictly based on user reaction like this, but when we were thinking about what we had to bring across and how to bring it across, it was a very useful source."

:)

S¡mon

Banned

No, maintaining servers and providing services can't be done for free. It costs money and than I think <$5 a month is a fair price.

Thanks. I was hoping bringing up my anxiety would be a positive because I think a lot of people with anxiety disorders go to videogames for the same reason I do... escapism. I'm trying to whore myself into a new job with the help of some of this new found publicity - i doubt it will work and telling stories like that probably don't help, but I felt like it was an interesting part of this whole thing and decided that was more important.

I also wrote up a little essay about what the whole thing was like from my end...

http://petedodd.me/ps4nodrm-xboxonenodrm-in-my-own-words/

MogCakes

Thanks. I was hoping bringing up my anxiety would be a positive because I think a lot of people with anxiety disorders go to videogames for the same reason I do... escapism. I'm trying to whore myself into a new job with the help of some of this new found publicity - i doubt it will work and telling stories like that probably don't help, but I felt like it was an interesting part of this whole thing and decided that was more important.

I also wrote up a little essay about what the whole thing was like from my end...

Good read. Hope it works out for you mate.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hope this helps you, Mortimer! You deserve it, pal.

As someone who's also dealt with GAD for a long time I'm glad you did bring it up. I do think that sharing your experience can help others.

I hope all of this works out for you!

Audioboxer

Anyone like the tshirt I made for the Eurogamer Expo? :p

IMG_20130926_161354.jpg

Only a few people mentioned it, mostly around the Sony booth. I did get two shots on Driveclub instead of 1 for my token and Hollie from PS Access giving me a mention.

Anyone like the tshirt I made for the Eurogamer Expo? :p

IMG_20130926_161354.jpg

Only a few people mentioned it, mostly around the Sony booth. I did get two shots on Driveclub instead of 1 for my token and Hollie from PS Access giving me a mention.

nice shirt. now you just need to find a shop that will do a lenticular print of shu sleeping and put it on a shirt.

Tripolygon

Banned
What a bump. What is is sad yet funny is you can see some of the same people making the same fanboy arguments now. Lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom