• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 beta firmware adds DualSense controller sound enhancements and Share Screen interactions

Shin-Ra

The most positive thing I can say about this update is it’s quick. Even the wireless controller firmware update!

But copying shit to/from USB like PS4 saves is still slow as moleasses(sic) and PS5 save backup is still stuck behind a cunty PS+ subscription. We’d better not lose console competition or SIE will continue to ignore the competition with their free cloud saves and proprietary SSD.

Shin-Ra

The option to enable ‘Sign In with Passkey’ has arrived, on my account at least.

PlayStation.com passkey support pages

When you create a passkey, PSN deactivates both your password and 2-Step Verification so best to make sure your email account’s accessible for backup access.

Last edited:

gamer82

currently on the beta but the sounds enchancements i dont rerally hear much diffrence , probaly my surrounds setup is just drowning it out but it kinds seems pointless to have this.

mitchman

Gold Member
Is impressive how slow steps this console had with add features.
The majority of new features will be in the SDK targetting developers, bug fixes they will not mention ("stability improvements"), and work on future software features for new or existing hardware.

Shin-Ra

That ship has sailed. They'll never give us back free cloud saves.

We had it so good on PS3.
I don’t remember any free PSN cloud saves but wouldn’t care if quick USB PS5 save copies were possible.

I still don't trust this.
No rush if you have a strong password, preferably with 2SV and a password manager automatically checking the url of the site requesting a password. Authenticator app (TOTP) is more secure than SMS for 2SV but either are better than no 2SV.

FWIW, PSN’s passkey implementation just works for me using iCloud Keychain on multiple devices. You don’t have to navigate to a specific passkey login page and there’s no redundant 2SV so login is quick.

The main issue I’ve encountered is the PS App assuming you have one PSN ID. Signing into extra accounts on console, scanning the PSN QR code ends up signing into the same account the PS App is already signed into. My solution for this is to use my phone, which doesn’t have the PS App, using the web browser login.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
  • Controller speaker enhancements. The controller speakers can now produce higher volume sound, allowing you to hear in-game sounds and voice chat audio more clearly.
Thank F. Every time sounds comes out of there on the PS5 I was all like.
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think that has more to do with the persons mic settings than the speaker on the controller
It was super low on the PS5 compared to the PS4. It was due to the noise cancelling, which they seemed to resolve with this update. The speaker could handle louder sound, just as it does on the DS4, they just had the volume capped in the firmware.

Shin-Ra

Retweeted by the primary PlayStation X account.

Still seems to be a staged, regional rollout. My US and JP accounts still don’t have the option.

All my accounts now have passkey settings.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
As the new year kicks into high gear with an amazing slate of PS5 game releases like The Last of Us Part II Remastered, Tekken 8 and Helldivers 2, along with FINAL FANTASY VII Rebirth later this month, we're pleased to roll out another PS5 system software beta today with a number of quality-of-life enhancements and new features.

While beta access is limited to invited participants in select countries*, we plan to release the update globally in the coming months. If you're selected to participate in the beta, you'll receive an email invitation today when it's available to download. Some features available during the beta phase may not make it into the final version or may see significant changes.

Let's jump in to the newly added features:

DualSense wireless controller built-in mic and speaker audio enhancements

We've updated the device software of the DualSense and DualSense Edge wireless controllers to improve their sound features.

• Controller speaker enhancements. The controller speakers can now produce higher volume sound, allowing you to hear in-game sounds and voice chat audio more clearly.
  • Improved noise cancellation. The mic input quality on these controllers has been improved, courtesy of a new AI machine learning model. Background noise from button presses and game audio are suppressed, resulting in a better voice chat experience. Install the system software beta and update the controller device software to enjoy enhanced clarity of your voice chat audio when using the controller mic.
  • With this update, you may feel that the sounds coming from your controller speaker may sound louder. You can adjust the controller speaker volume from the control center.
Image of a white DualSense wireless controller on a white background

Share Screen Interactions

Players watching Share Screen in full screen mode can now use pointers and emoji reactions to interact with the host's gameplay.

• Viewers can move a pointer around, send a ping or draw a line on the shared screen, allowing them to highlight certain objects or areas to guide the host player more accurately.
  • Viewers can send emoji-based reactions to the host's screen to visually encourage and celebrate gameplay actions.
  • Note: this feature is available by default but can be turned off by the host in the Share Screen settings. Both the host and the viewer must be participating in the beta to use this feature during the beta period.
PS5 UI screenshot showing pointers and emoji reaction on the The Last of Us Part II Remastered gameplay screen

Adjust Brightness of PS5 Power Indicator

You can now adjust the brightness of your PS5 console's power indicator.

• Go to [Settings] > [System] > [Beep and Light], and then select [Brightness].
53504940481_9834c571b9_h.jpg

Things I don't understand about the controller:

Why does it emit sound?
Why does it have a jack under the sticks? Why not on the top side?
Force feedback is useless. I haven't played any game that could elevate the gaming experience in any way with vibration. It's a gimmick, throw it out.
Bring back the banana controller!

Unknown?

Why does it emit sound?
Force feedback is useless. I haven't played any game that could elevate the gaming experience in any way with vibration. It's a gimmick, throw it out.
You want a jack on the top so the wire can drape across your controller?

Roxkis_ii

"Improved noise cancellation."

Thank you Jesus!
I'm so tired of people joining overwatch matches just to have to hear the game audio twice.

StueyDuck

Does anyone ever use the share screen.

Aside from once showing a friend a new game. I think I used it once, was keen to play breakpoint with a friend and we'd try PiP to see each others screens. While cool he was very anti using it.

Is it really big enough to put so many features in it?

mitch1971

Does anyone ever use the share screen.

Aside from once showing a friend a new game. I think I used it once, was keen to play breakpoint with a friend and we'd try PiP to see each others screens. While cool he was very anti using it.

Is it really big enough to put so many features in it?
I first used it as a novelty many moons ago. I've used it only a few times since when playing coop, as it helps when playing games that for some stupid reason allows me to put a marker down on the map that can't be seen by my co-op partner (I mean who decided that's a good idea?!). I suppose I would of used it more as I play coop a lot, but I forget it's there most of the time. And to answer your last question, no it's not big enough - a waste of programmers time.

I like the controller sounds for audiologs or the handheld thing Cloud has in Rebirth. It's the main drawback of the Portal imo.
When I go from Portal to console I always forget how much comes out of the controller and how much I like it.

skit_data

Nice with better noise cancellation on the controller and the dimmable light on the console. Outside of that there isn't much for me personally. I always keep my controller speaker off because those small speakers just sound tinny and off when combined with my 5.1 setup.

They added Dolby Vision gaming to their flagship tv late last year but still nothing for PS5......

Sony has a really good relationship with Dolby, but they've had a lot of implementation issues with their hardware and while Sony Electronics support Dolby Vision, these devices are largely sold at a profit. PS5s are sold at a loss, so to incrue a greater loss for something most people aren't clamoring for isn't something SIE is looking to do.

It would be nice if Sony would allow you to buy a license for dolby vision from the ps store and maybe take a cut themselves. I think that might be the only real answer here.

Diva

Neo Member
I think they broke something with the new update, looks like issues with Passthrough sound connetction. I'm using soundbar connected to TV and now if PS5 is turned on and i turn off/on TV, sound disappears. But if i go to PS5 settings and change back and worth output settings like Output Device or Audio Format - it works again.

A.Romero

Why does it emit sound?
Joke?

I mean, you mean the jack for the headset that would be hanging from your head? You want the cable to hang in front of you and not around the controller, right?

WitchHunter

Banned
Joke?

I mean, you mean the jack for the headset that would be hanging from your head? You want the cable to hang in front of you and not around the controller, right?
Nop, if it's under and you are slouching in your chair you have to raise your hands, otherwise the large jacks that hifi headsets use would bump into your belly...

It's fucking annoying.

Top Bottom