• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Topher

Gold Member
That's still 67 FP16 TFLOPS,the PS5 isn't exactly 10TFLOPS even. As long as the final numbers are 67,it can be 67. Whatever.
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Only problem is that these TOPs are only going to benefit in AI upscaling.
Yes the downside of Pro consoles - this will likely only get used for cosmetics - but then again it's not like we got anything more on PC GPUs to date.
Still - even for cosmetic enhancements - Denoising and Frame Gen are two obvious use-cases we will probably also see. The latter in particular - would be much more practical on a console and 'hopefully' someone uses it for extrapolation, which would actually reduce generated frame latencies as opposed to current solutions in PC space.

But yea for really interesting stuff (like subspace physics and other fun things that would augment games beyond visuals) we'll have to wait for a mainline console, or another 5 years of PC GPU evolution, first.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No. The PS5 GPU is in the same gen as Ampere,the Pro would be equivalent to a comparable Lovelace GPU.
Sure. pick a 4000 series card thats equivalent to a 3070. i dont know of one so i chose the 3070. i know the 4070=3080, and there is no way a 6800 is a 3080. AMD released the 6800xt to compete with the 3080.

good thing is that unlike the 6800, this thing will have great RT performance so it will keep up with the 3070 where as the 6800 was trash compared to the 3070 in rt games performing even worse than a 2080 iirc. we are finally getting nvidia level rt performance in consoles so not sure why everyone is so upset at the 3070 comparison.

All this is assuming this gpu performs like its tflops count suggests, and not the 45% figure Sony has given. If this thing performs as well its tflops then it would be more powerful than the 3070 Ti, but still not close to a 3080. There is big gap between a 6800 and a 3080.

z4C7JjW.jpg

Loxus

That's still 67 FP16 TFLOPS,the PS5 isn't exactly 10TFLOPS even. As long as the final numbers are 67,it can be 67. Whatever.
What has changed about Zenji Nishikawa's 3DGE: Radeon RX 7900 XTX/XT? Explore the secrets of the Navi 31st generation, which has achieved significant performance improvements.
The total number of CUs of the Radeon RX 7900 XTX is 96. The operating clock (boost clock) is 2.5 GHz. There are four SIMD32 operators per CU, and each SIMD32 operator can perform integration sum (2 FLOPS) for 32- bit floating point points (FP32).

96 CU x 4 SIMD32 arithmetic units x 32 FP32 arithmetic units x product-sum x 2.5GHz

It can be calculated with . In other words, it is as follows.

96×4×32×2×2.5GHz=61.44 TFLOPS

Let's apply this to the PS5 Pro using 60 CUs.
60 CU × 4 SIMD32 × 32 FP32 × 2 × 2.18GHz = 33.5 TFLOPS

60×4×32×2×2.18GHz = 33.5 TFLOPS

FP32 = 33.5 TFLOPS
FP16 = 2 × 33.5TF = 67 TFLOPS

Loxus

Why not just say i was wrong but either way PS5 pro doesn't have a dedicated chip and just uses AMD's tech?
lol what's with people's allergy of being honest and forthcoming?
AMD calls them dedicated.
AMD's word is above everyone else.
wM0XURC.png

The problem is most people think if it doesn't work like Nvidia’s implementation, it isn't dedicated.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

What has changed about Zenji Nishikawa's 3DGE: Radeon RX 7900 XTX/XT? Explore the secrets of the Navi 31st generation, which has achieved significant performance improvements.
The total number of CUs of the Radeon RX 7900 XTX is 96. The operating clock (boost clock) is 2.5 GHz. There are four SIMD32 operators per CU, and each SIMD32 operator can perform integration sum (2 FLOPS) for 32- bit floating point points (FP32).

96 CU x 4 SIMD32 arithmetic units x 32 FP32 arithmetic units x product-sum x 2.5GHz

FP32 = 33.5 TFLOPS
That an even number,the actual FLOPS could be 67,999,999,999,999.

60x64x4=15,360. 15,360x2.2= 33,792.

33,792x2 =67,584.

Last edited:
3600 had cooling if I remember correctly and yeah I forgot about ram and ssd. But controller in entirely optional.

Power cable comes with psu, HDMI cables are dirt cheap so we are going into too much details here...

Yeah in 2019 pc comparable to (not yet released) PS5 would be over 1000$.

Controller's only optional for specific genre of games like FPS or strategy games IMO. Racing games, fighting games, 2D platformers with precise controls, rhythm games etc., you would really need or at least vastly prefer a controller to using KB&M (or get specialty controllers like arcade sticks for fighters, which are pricier).

Very poor, cherry picked shot of AW2. The Order is artistically great, but it's still a PS4 game dude, poor textures and it's soft as all hell. Not to mention that horrendous aspect ratio.

Hellblade 2 has the same aspect ratio, just sayin' 😉

I almost think they might have a better shot at selling this Pro in comparison to the last one. Just because this has been a strange generation, where we are seeing some impressive new effects but they come with such a high cost to IQ that at times IQ can look worse than last-gen. In some instances the payoff is there (the Matrix demo, I would say AW2 and things like that) but in others the effects don't hit hard enough to make the IQ situation seem ok. That's an opening that could be exploited depending on the price.

If this ML implementation gets them from 1080p to 4k as good as DLSS, that could be huge in comparison to FSR (especially the levels that have been being used on console, FSR performance isn't exactly a looker).

A small chance that would be enough, but considering there have been so few current gen-only AAA games in general so far going on four years, some PS5 owners who wanted to get more out of the base system before jumping to a Pro might not feel the jump up would be worth it when they haven't gotten a lot out of their PS5s, in terms of games pushing the base platform.

PS5 (and Series X) were sold on having a lot of games like the Matrix demo or the first UE5 demo within the first few years, but the number of actual games hitting near those levels can probably be counted on two hands. And a lot of those have been cross-gen titles (mainly Sony ones), and most have been ported to PC already (if they were exclusive to console for a couple years).

IMO any potential issue for PS5 Pro isn't the hardware itself; it looks great. Instead it's potential lack of value proposition to the majority of would-be customers. How many hardcore/core PS5 owners were watching all these 1P games go to PC and decided to buy or upgrade their PCs for double-dipping games at maximum performance? How many purchased a PSVR2 and feel they haven't gotten their money's worth, and might not buy a Pro because of that?

Those are questions about perceived value to the Pro I think Sony have to answer with outside of the console itself. Part of it'd require substantive changes to policy they've been running with the past couple of years now.

Codeblew

Which IMHO is today’s 3d niche. I’d rather have games run better than have reflective lighting from a trash can. I just really hate how all new tech focuses on some new niche instead of fixing the last gen’s issues first!

Sony should imho double the cpu and gpu components and added 6-8 additional ram. Yes that’s going to cost more. It make the pro 699. Enthusiasts would have no issue paying the premium and the 5 still exists for the peasants.
If they do that, then that will make the PS6 not look so great in 3-4 years after the pro release.

shamoomoo

FP32 = 33.5 TFLOPS
That an even number,the actual FLOPS could be 67.99999.

60x64x4=15,360. 15,360x2.2= 33,792
Clearly you don't understand how to calculate TFLOPS.
I don't understand what's so confusing?
Forget the slight error,we were giving an even amount of FP16 of 67 TFLOPS, 67.5 or 67.9 is 67. The PS5 and Series X aren't exactly 10-12 TFLOPS even.

Loxus

That an even number,the actual FLOPS could be 67.99999.

60x64x4=15,360. 15,360x2.2= 33,792

I don't understand what's so confusing?
Forget the slight error,we were giving an even amount of FP16 of 67 TFLOPS, 67.5 or 67.9 is 67. The PS5 and Series X aren't exactly 10-12 TFLOPS even.
If that was the case, it would of been stated.

How about this, believe it's 2.18GHz now?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Those are questions about perceived value to the Pro I think Sony have to answer with outside of the console itself. Part of it'd require substantive changes to policy they've been running with the past couple of years now.
I think it's simpler than that.
The multi-SKU strategy is nearly 2 decades old now, and it worked much the same before as it does now. People focus a lot on spec deltas but both MS and Sony had no problem selling 'added value' SKUs at 100$+ before, and Nintendo did a lot of it (at smaller deltas) for a good decade before the first 'Pro' console arrived as well.
I think all of the companies have good data on how/why SKU-options work on the market by now.
Halo/premium product is there to increase ASRP, and increase engagement with core userbase (users are more active around the time when they buy new hw, so it re-engages 'upgraders') - but it's not there to drive volume - expect other SKUs to be repositioned downwards when this comes out.

shamoomoo

If that was the case, it would of been stated.

How about this, believe it's 2.18GHz now?

We are only talking about 0.72 MHz difference. Also,if that's your proof of Kepler being correct then why are you so insistent that Pro is going with 54 CUs when Kepler already stated the CU count is going to be 60/64?🤔🤔

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think it's simpler than that.
The multi-SKU strategy is nearly 2 decades old now, and it worked much the same before as it does now. People focus a lot on spec deltas but both MS and Sony had no problem selling 'added value' SKUs at 100$+ before, and Nintendo did a lot of it (at smaller deltas) for a good decade before the first 'Pro' console arrived as well.
I think all of the companies have good data on how/why SKU-options work on the market by now.
Halo/premium product is there to increase ASRP, and increase engagement with core userbase (users are more active around the time when they buy new hw, so it re-engages 'upgraders') - but it's not there to drive volume - expect other SKUs to be repositioned downwards when this comes out.
Exactly.

Paying more for a bigger hard drive or a better screen, cool.

8jhyqd.jpg

Quantum253

So is PS4 compatibility going to be maintained with this?..
I don't see why not? Nothing will come out, compatibility wise, for the 5 Pro that couldn't run on PS4/PS4 Pro. I could see the PS4 being completely phased out when PS6 is launched, however.
Most of the PS+ games are still the PS4 versions.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I don't see why not? Nothing will come out, compatibility wise, for the 5 Pro that couldn't run on PS4/PS4 Pro. I could see the PS4 being completely phased out when PS6 is launched, however.
Most of the PS+ games are still the PS4 versions.
Wasn't PS4 BC contingent on a hardware butterfly design of 36 CU's. Both PS4 Pro and PS5 had 36CU's no?

Loxus

We are only talking about 0.72 MHz difference. Also,if that's your proof of Kepler being correct then why are you so insistent that Pro is going with 54 CUs when Kepler already stated the CU count is going to be 60/64?🤔🤔
Because you're going with his 60/64, so you have to go with his 2.18GHz.
It's that simple.

Quantum253

Wasn't PS4 BC contingent on a hardware butterfly design of 36 CU's. Both PS4 Pro and PS5 had 36CU's no?
I get what your saying now. I'm sure whatever games were/are PS5 only will be interchangeable on the platform, but I don't think Sony is ready to stop making a PS4 version(s) because they have the Pro. Of course, they could severely limit the amount of last gen titles produced

Wonder how long it takes DF to do their breakdown video of the specs.

And the pain Alex will be in during
do they report on rumors/leaks?

well, i gues they are going to talk about it in their podcast, but to make a dedicated video with this info i dunno. i think they are going to wait until something official.

GoldenEye98

I get what your saying now. I'm sure whatever games were/are PS5 only will be interchangeable on the platform, but I don't think Sony is ready to stop making a PS4 version(s) because they have the Pro. Of course, they could severely limit the amount of last gen titles produced
I have no doubt that they would like to keep it. But I'm saying it may be technically difficult once they move off that 36CU design. As far as I remember PS4 BC is running on half of the chip (ie 18CU's) of both PS4 Pro and PS5. There was stronger amount of hardware design dependency with PS BC than with Xbox.

I'm not saying it's technically impossible..... but on a 60CU chip with newer architecture it may be more difficult to implement.... and this being a niche product maybe they said fuck it...

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Let's watch a tech channel telling us again how new and cool tech is not needed.
Live look at Alex seeing Tom confirming the leaks were real.

Sad Am Fine GIF by MOODMAN

do they report on rumors/leaks?

well, i gues they are going to talk about it in their podcast, but to make a dedicated video with this info i dunno. i think they are going to wait until something official.
Richard mentioned in one of their videos he would likely do a sort of "what to expect" from the PS5 Pro based on the leaks but now they have a lot more info to breakdown.

bender

What time is it?
I have no doubt that they would like to keep it. But I'm saying it may be technically difficult once they move off that 36CU design. As far as I remember PS4 BC is running on half of the chip (ie 18CU's) of both PS4 Pro and PS5. There was stronger amount of hardware design dependency with PS BC than with Xbox.

I'm not saying it's technically impossible..... but on a 60CU chip with newer architecture it may be more difficult to implement.... and this being a niche product maybe they said fuck it...

I'd think PS4 game sales are too lucrative to say "fuck it".

GoldenEye98

I'd think PS4 game sales are too lucrative to say "fuck it".

Maybe not for a pro model...

PS4 Pro was a small fraction of the PS4 install base and that launched a year earlier in the generation than PS5 Pro will.

This is niche device relative to the PS5 base model.

Last edited:
It would be, but we're missing the point: if we assume that the whole thing won't cost more than $700 and Sony must make a profit on it, we shouldn't expect a GPU worth $600 inside.
Nothing says Sony needs to make a profit on it they can break even or take a small loss like they did the base ps5

Top Bottom