• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
PS5 - $499 +
PS5 Pro - $599 +
PS+ (8 years x $80) - $640 =
-------------------------------
$1740 for consoles this gen to keep up with midrange PCs

I dunno boys... PC gamers can also sell their parts and reduce the upfront costs of upgrading too.

Used to be that you spent $350 on a console, lasted you for 7 years, and the thing was $99 by the end. Game devs used to get better with the hardware and visuals drastically improved over the gen too.. Now, they've got you spending $500+ every 3-4 years.

Why are you including an optional service where games are included every month months analysis?

Nice way to be completely disingenuous. Your $3k monster rig in 2020 is now basically outclassed or roughly on par with a $599 console in 2024. So how’s that looking?

Xtib81

Man, that slight CPU bump isn't looking great. The dream of GTA 6 running at 60fps is most likely dead.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Why are you including an optional service where games are included every month months analysis?

Nice way to be completely disingenuous. Your $3k monster rig in 2020 is now basically outclassed or roughly on par with a $599 console in 2024. So how’s that looking?
Don't bother replying to takes like this.
True, but it was to be expected. Considering it's the same tactic as with the PS4 Pro.
Is it still 256-bit? If yes, then it's a frequency increase to 2,25Ghz over 1.75Ghz of the PS5.

A base ps5/xbox series x can still last you the entire generation.

Nobodies being forced to upgrade.

Feel free to give the top engineers at sony and ms your advice on how you can make a console for $350 this gen that lasts 7 years and it will be $99 by the end of it.
Same goes for PC.

You missed the point. It's not that the price was $350... it was that there was 1 console per generation. Devs could focus on that console, and make great experiences for it.

Now, they're pissing around developing multiple console tiers per generation, you have games which still try to support previous generation consoles as well... you have multiple modes inside of games... performance... quality... Ray Tracing... 120hz... 40fps mode.... VRR mode.... They're literally turning console gaming into PC gaming. x86 architecture... PC CPU and GPU technology... they're needlessly complicating all this shit instead of actually just buckling down and developing the right experience for their game and giving it to everyone.

Same goes for PC.

You missed the point. It's not that the price was $350... it was that there was 1 console per generation. Devs could focus on that console, and make great experiences for it.

Now, they're pissing around developing multiple console tiers per generation, you have games which still try to support previous generation consoles as well... you have multiple modes inside of games... performance... quality... Ray Tracing... 120hz... 40fps mode.... VRR mode.... They're literally turning console gaming into PC gaming. x86 architecture... PC CPU and GPU technology... they're needlessly complicating all this shit instead of actually just buckling down and developing the right experience for their game and giving it to everyone.
It really does not. Last gen, PC GPUs that looked great when PS4 came out were struggling heavily as we neared the end of the generation.

Huh? If you want to play online... you're paying for PS+ essential.

Hell, aren't cloud saves even still paywalled behind PS+? 😄

Gaiff

I have tried telling people for awhile they were going to be let down when they see the specs on paper but wait until they see how it runs the games.
I have little doubt Sony's first-party devs and competent ones will use it very well. What worries me are third-party devs like Warner Bros with Gotham Knights who locked the game to 30fps because their piece of shit CPU performance was so single-threaded that even powerful PC CPUs couldn't run it at 60fps.

The thing with brute strength as I mentioned is that it allows for fuck-ups to impact performance less. We know smart design choices are the way to go but not everyone knows how to use their resources at their disposal properly.

tmlDan

Just putting the actual cost of the console out there.. since there's lots of PC price talk.
The actual costs of the console for most is the standard price at launch and you never buy one again. PS Plus is also not mandatory.

Any other talk is just you making stuff up to put it on par with PC's

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have little doubt Sony's first-party devs and competent ones will use it very well. What worries me are third-party devs like Warner Bros with Gotham Knights who locked the game to 30fps because their piece of shit CPU performance was so single-threaded that even powerful PC CPUs couldn't run it at 60fps.

The thing with brute strength as I mentioned is that it allows for fuck-ups to impact performance less. We know smart design choices are the way to go but not everyone knows how to use their resources at their disposal properly.
I am afraid the 30 fps monster is here to stay awhile longer

Honestly have only talked about 1 specific game that is a shooter that already has a 120 fps option and how great it looked running 120 fps

jm89

I have tried telling people for awhile they were going to be let down when they see the specs on paper but wait until they see how it runs the games.
That's why i'm not dissapointed.

I looked at what they did for the ps4 pro and just set my expectations that's it's not going to be a huge upgrade.

The actual costs of the console for most is the standard price at launch and you never buy one again. PS Plus is also not mandatory.

Any other talk is just you making stuff up to put it on par with PC's
This is disingenuous. We're in a thread of people talking about upgrading their console.

PS+ also IS mandatory... if you want to match the PC experience of being able to play online.

I mean, I can make PC dirt cheap too by ignoring all the obvious ways in which costs are added to it...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
True, but it was to be expected. Considering it's the same tactic as with the PS4 Pro.
PS4 Pro got a 30% boost in clockspeeds. this is a paltry 10% increase.

watch this video. several games are cpu bottlenecked with rt on even when paired against the 3080 and ryzen 3600. it is impossible to get 60 fps so alex just recommends turning off rt. they needed way higher cpu clocks at the very least especially since they are not going from zen 2 to zen 4. this is a huge fuck up because all those RT improvements in the GpU will now go to waste.

Gaiff

In what way? The Framerate is quite stable, if that’s the case then the 10% boost should help.

Regardless devs aren’t going to target anything that is more cpu intensive than the base consoles
In that it can dip below 60fps because the CPU isn't fast enough to feed the GPU.
How's the cpu crap?
It's an old Zen 2 slower than the 3600 desktop counterpart and those haven't aged particularly well. The anemic cache further exacerbates the problems.

The ACV in the PlayStation 5 Pro runs at a higher clock speed over the standard PlayStation 5, resulting in the ACM library having 35% more performance...[GPU] Rendering 45% faster than PS5

PS5 Pro plot is thickening.

Last edited:

watch this video. several games are cpu bottlenecked with rt on even when paired against the 3080 and ryzen 3600. it is impossible to get 60 fps so alex just recommends turning off rt. they needed way higher cpu clocks at the very least especially since they are not going from zen 2 to zen 4. this is a huge fuck up because all those RT improvements in the GpU will now go to waste.

I highly doubt they didn't think of this. They probably have an approach to off-load RT-heavy stuff from the CPU with RDNA 4 and whatever modifications they made.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Uh, I've got over 450 free games from Epic.... and they continue every week... lol

Not to mention all the free ones from Steam and GOG from time to time.

Uh, what games ? Either way, your less performant monster rig from 2020 still cost more than a ps5 pro in 2024 even including all the disingenuous comparisons you added

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Cue Alex Battaglia tears. The guy said AMD didn't have anything in the pipeline worthwhile for PS5 Pro to be compelling with RT.
Sad Arrested Development GIF

2d platformers are a toss up, both methods work fine and it's all up to preference

Keyboard is pretty good for fighters all things considered.

Rhythm games let me know you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Every popular rhythm game works better on keyboard than on controller and it's not even comparable. Unless you mean games that require specialized controllers to play (i.e Beatmania IIDX with the turntable, Sound Voltex with knobs, DDR with the dance mat) which aren't the same as a Dualsense.

Nah, keyboards are only good for fighters up to a point xD. A 2D fighter like Street Fighter, keyboard is a no-go for grapplers. Unless they're mixed-input semi-grapplers like Alex from 3S where you only need half-circles and not full-circles. I mean you can still kind of buffer full circles off a jump but that is not easy to do consistently.

Rhythm games it matters more about latency and input re-mapping.

winjer

DF has a 3600 with a latency of 90ns. So that CPU is not performing as it should, so that test is invalid.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Nah. When prices were sky high on GPUs, I sold my previous part for more than it cost me when I bought it. I made money off owning that GPU lmao. The GPU I currently have smokes the PS5 Pro.

Yeah that’s not replicable

And the GPU you have now will be “smoked” by PS6

So you’ll be forced to buy another multi thousand dollar PC to beat a $600 console

The cycle repeats

Last edited:
Top Bottom