• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: FIFA Hijacks 2013 Edition, Now On Playstation 3 (Delete your credit card info)

Rikkun

Removed my cc info and changed pass, thanks OP.

I was getting used to that fast payment, that sensation everything can be yours in a single click..

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Even if this turns out not to be the FIFA fun, still changing the locks on the house might be a good idea.

Fuck you EA for making a target rich environment for these assholes.

Anyway I don't think I've had CC info on PSN ever since the Great Haxx0rs of 2011 so I should be clear.

UberTag

I love you Electronic Arts!
I love you Peter Moore!
What gifts you have bestowed upon us meager gamers!
We are not worthy of your love!
Without the revenue generated from stolen credit cards we would not have the coming of the great Titanfall to save us from the torture of playing other less substantial & less exploitable games!
Thank you for ensuring that I don't need to be skillful at a game in order to feel like a winner!
Please take my money without asking and use it to line your coffers. I have no need of it for my own welfare so long as you flourish!

Heysoos

Is this why I got this email today?

SQv3HR8.png

Pretty sure I deleted my credit card when I sold my PS Vita. Looking into it anyways, thanks for the heads up.

Pretty sure I deleted my credit card when I sold my PS Vita. Looking into it anyways, thanks for the heads up.
It's not confirmed, but that is what I believe to be the case. Certainly, there are hijacks going on, so I would advise everyone to be vigilant.

Heysoos

It's not confirmed, but that is what I believe to be the case. Certainly, there are hijacks going on, so I would advise everyone to be vigilant.

So what's the best way to approach this? I don't currently have any Playstation systems, but when/if I eventually pick up the PS4, I don't want my account to be fucked.

UberTag

It shouldn't even be possible for support to get at your password. It's supposed to be a one way hash that can't be reversed without years of computer work.
Having worked for Xbox support once upon a time I can confirm that phone agents do not have access to customer passwords.
They DO, however, have access to customer information that can be reverse engineered in order to get passwords.

jns

Thanks for the heads-up op, I'm going to change my password and remove all payment info from sen. Honestly, I'm sick of this shit. Sony better a better job of keeping my account safe this time round.

Coppanuva

Had this happen to my account the other day. Got in contact with customer support and got it all fixed up and a refund processing. Can confirm this is going on.similarly, is there any way to remove cc details from steam?

Heysoos

Cool, sweet. Installed KeePass, already had my billing info deleted so I was fine there. Will stay on the look out for now. Thanks for the heads up.

Gadirok

Sony decided to automatically reset my password and sent me an email. Couldn't change it back myself as I made this account back when I had my PSP and forgot my credentials.

Took me almost 50 minutes to get to my turn when I called sony. But when I did finally manage to get a CSR she was pretty helpful, explained what happened and dealt with it fast after verifying some info.

Atleast its all said and done now. I been meaning to change my PSN password for 2 years now when I realize how invested I am with my digital purchases and that I shouldn't treat the password lightly either. My only problem was the wait and thats probably because they're being swamped with calls.

jns

I think he means that after you delete the info, if you hit the save button, it shows an error because all your billing info is gone. I can confirm that as long as you press the delete button, you don't have to"re-save" because your card info is gone.

Once again, thanks for the heads up guys. removing your info is a simple step--but it shits me to tears that account security might be a problem again :(

Smokey

This is why I have only used Live/PSN cards for the past two years. I don't keep any CC info attached to my account anymore.

So what can EA do?
For one, they can stop microtransactions like these. I'd stop it and allow all cards to be accessible at a faster and alarming rate to avoid bullshit like this.

The fact that games have these manager modes with people spending money is a sign of how shitty of a company it is. The fact that their game on PS4 has this fucking mode, and not tournament mode or 2 player online mode shows what their target is for next-gen.

coldfoot

Banned
I sincerely doubt SEN support can access your password. Maybe the hackers got passwords from somewhere else and they access the e-mail on your PSN account because the password for that e-mail was the same one you used to log in to a site somewhere that got hacked, so they just call support to have them reset?
I really think the only way this can happen is either they guess your PSN password from some other password they stole from another DB, or they guess your e-mail password and then proceed.

pompidu

My guess is hackers are posing as support and victim's assume its real support and just give them the password (which no one should ever do). Its kinda amazing how passwords are highly regarded but can break fairly easily.

of course EA would be the backdoor.
Fuck EA.
Worse company of all time.
I can't wait till they let go of the Football simulation exclusivity.
I need a proper football game.
2k we need you.

Yeah, I think they're only able to get into accounts which had the same username/password combination for both their EA and SEN accounts. Because didn't EA get hacked last year?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MS' 2-step protects the whole account in general.

Correct, but you have to enable it under the .Net account. You can't enable it through the 360/720 dashboards/X-box.com AFAIK.

Sez

SQv3HR8.png

Got the same e-mail on spanish on my mexican PSN account.

I haven't noticed any strange charge, etc.

Demigod Mac

Sony decided to automatically reset my password and sent me an email. Couldn't change it back myself as I made this account back when I had my PSP and forgot my credentials.

Took me almost 50 minutes to get to my turn when I called sony. But when I did finally manage to get a CSR she was pretty helpful, explained what happened and dealt with it fast after verifying some info.

Atleast its all said and done now. I been meaning to change my PSN password for 2 years now when I realize how invested I am with my digital purchases and that I shouldn't treat the password lightly either. My only problem was the wait and thats probably because they're being swamped with calls.

Out of curiosity, what info did you have to provide?
What did the reset procedure involve?

If they did it properly (and I would think Sony learned their lesson after the first hack attack) - they don't store the password on their servers - it's a salted hash of the password.
There's no way a rep could just hand over an account's password if that's the case.

But the real question is, was information about the victims readily available on the internet from all these data aggregate sites like Intelius and Spokeo?
It'd be quite easy to fool a customer service rep using easy to guess/research "security" questions.

This kind of crap is why I subscribe to Abine's DeleteMe service. :\

danielcw

Yeah, it's weird Sony is the only company (besides Nintendo) that doesn't do two-step for their online gaming service.

Which ones have 2-step authentification?
I know:
Steam (Steamguard, an extra code via email)
Battle.net (Authentificator, time and secret based code)

I guess Google counts as a game service now.

I also heard about Live in this thread.

What about:
Origin
Uplay
Apple

Probably, but I would think even something like a 24 hours block would discourage most of the hacks. I would also limit the number of players you can transfer at once down to something like three.

Sounds like a plan then.

What the fuck FIFA
What the fuck EA
What the fuck

I'm just having a hard time understanding this and how it works, but it's baffling

FIFA Ultimate Team is a trading card game mode, where you collect trading cards of football players. From these trading cards you form a team that you will be playing games with. Trading cards can be bought with in-game credits or real money and they can be traded between players.

But, you cannot just go and decide to buy a specific card. To get more cards, you need to buy card packs which come in different tiers. More expensive packs come with more cards and the highest chance of obtaining a rare card. Cards are always random.

What the hackers are doing is that they buy tons of the most expensive card pack, send the cards to their main account and sell the cards themselves separately. If you are a buyer, you can only get random card packs from EA but you can buy the exact card that you want from the hackers.

LegoArmo

You can purchase any card from the auction house using in game coins, that can be earned through playing the game. The thing is, the best players can cost upwards of 2 million coins, which would take an unrealistic amount of game time to obtain. Although I did get to around that in FIFA 13 without ever spending a penny.

I don't have any problem with the microtransactions in Ultimate Team. There's plenty of other modes.

It's the same as any trading card game really, for some it's just the joy of opening a pack that they enjoy.

The reason there's a lot of hacking and stealing is more than likely because these Ultimate Team coins can very easily be turned in to real money. There's even been speculation that some of those types have been "laundering" money through this game.

Top Bottom