• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR launching in fall (Gamestop CEO seemingly lets slip)

Unless they do their own PSX style event for PSVR before June, I'm guessing the Price and Date announcement will be made at E3 2016, with a good chunk of their conference on PSVR, showing off the games and features of the headset.

I think it will launch somewhere between July - September (Hopefully July) and it will give them time to make sure the games are ready.

Nikodemos

Yeah, the deafening silence from Sony means it's likely they'll launch in September (with pricing at E3).

They're probably in crunch mode polishing the launch games right now.

Portugeezer

I am still holding out for something at GDC(VRDC).

If not, that is a shame, but as time goes on without the H1 2016 release date, it is somewhat expected at this point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd be disappointed with a fall launch, but I suppose it makes sense. They showed morpheus ages ago in a form that looked pretty good. I realise they've probably tweaked lots of things since though.

I would have hoped they'd have tried to launch alongside OR and Vive this spring.

bryanee

All this waiting is starting to kill my hype. I've started saving for it which I find very difficult and I'm going to end up dipping into the savings if I cant pre-order and pay for this thing soon.

And if it comes out around the same time as NX (if it comes this year) then I don't know if I'll get it.

Chobel

I just don't fucking get it, why announce it's coming in the 1st half when they clearly knew it's not coming in 1st half?

good. I never had a good feeling about it coming out in the spring/Q2. makes way, way more sense to have it come out closer to the holidays.

edit: when did kinect come out? and was it $150?

Pretty obvious. Fall launch with ps4 slim bundle.

So obvious that this would never happen in a million years.

Why would Sony launch what is effectively 2 new products alongside each other?

Sony will have put themselves in the hole setting up production for the VR headset, they are not going to close down their current cash-cow PS4 run, to spend further money ramping up a new line of Slims.

Head.spawn

A two quarter delay to Fall 2016 is perfect timing? What am I reading?

Everyone knows Fall 2017 to be the superior Fall in all regards, it'd be a missed opportunity to not make that the target.

Z3M0G

Makes sense to me. Get it in there along with all of the high-profile exclusives coming later in the year. If No Man's Sky doesn't get delayed, then it might not get PSVR support after all. VR support isn't really something you can easily patch into a console game.

No Man's Sky could easily have complete VR support months before PSVR actually hits market... the product should be 100% ready months before hitting market anyways. There is more to releasing a product than simply the completion of it...

They should

A: Delay No Man's Sky and make it a launch PSVR title
or
B: They should offer an upgrade to the PSVR version for like 10 bucks.

No need to delay. The support will likely be 100% in place by the time of the game's release, and if anything a small free patch could be released to clean up any bugs because NMS could be a big feature for PSVR even if the game releases months in advance.

mnannola

I'm sure by waiting a few months they can shave a little off the price and make sure they have a decent launch lineup. Makes sense.

doby

With Sony reiterating its 'first half of 2016' stance until recently, can they really get through GDC, where PSVR will likely have a large presence, with a 'no comment' type situation until E3?

Called it. Fall release should have been obvious by now. I think at E3 they will announce the launch lineup and then reveal the pricing at Gamescom. I understand this isn't a confirmation but still, it should be obvious by now what with the lack of previews/impressions on VR titles that PSVR is still several months away from release. The extra time may even help them cut costs but I still think $399 is the floor on pricing and $499 being more likely. Their E3 presser, for better or worse, is probably going to be all about VR as well. I'm thinking like MS circa 2010 with their Kinect push (hopefully no skittles moments). Sony's got a huge install base and their going to be pushing this hard at E3, Gamescom, TGS, and PGW. I hope they've got the software lineup to make this thing shine.

Sooo fall means this thing could potentially launch with stuff like rigs,summer lesson,eve,Gt sport! With stuff like ace combat 7, dreams and robison the journey right on its heels? Sold!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What is this delay people are talking about? They haven't announced a date yet.

Falchion

Fall is fine, I want it to be as polished as possible at launch so that it can be a good alternative to Oculus.

What is this delay people are talking about? They haven't announced a date yet.
They announced "first half of 2016". But the thing is, Sony's fiscal year begins in April, so if that statement referred to fiscal year, that means it was due out by October, so fall might not be a delay. Admittedly, that's not what any real person would think they were talking about, nobody except business people think in terms of fiscal year...

Am I the only one that thinks sending it into a usually crowded fall window is dangerous? Especially if NX really is launching this year.

I could totally see NX stealing the mindshare away from PSVR seeing add it's a whole new platform.

No need to delay. The support will likely be 100% in place by the time of the game's release, and if anything a small free patch could be released to clean up any bugs because NMS could be a big feature for PSVR even if the game releases months in advance.

"small patch" doesn't really fit the bill of getting it to run smoothly on VR. Basegame will probably be 30fps anyways.

Taco_Man

Banned
Damned if they do, damned if they don't right? If it came out in Spring and wasn't up to par everyone would complain about how it sucks. If it comes out in the Fall and is spectacular then everyone complains it took too long.

Personally I'm all for the latter, this doesn't kill the hype for me at all, in fact it makes me more excited. The more time they spend fixing the bugs the better.

Audioboxer

If this means better pricing then good, if it launches later this year and pricing is as high as some of the guesses then meh.

Am I the only one that thinks sending it into a usually crowded fall window is dangerous? Especially if NX really is launching this year.

I could totally see NX stealing the mindshare away from PSVR seeing add it's a whole new platform.

I think this is the point. If Nintendo is launching hardware in the fall the only way to match that hype is with your own hardware. NX and PSVR going head-to-head with all the launch lineup comparisons being debated. It's what every gaming media outlet will be talking about and both Sony and Nintendo benefit from all that attention/publicity.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't right? If it came out in Spring and wasn't up to par everyone would complain about how it sucks. If it comes out in the Fall and is spectacular then everyone complains it took too long.

Personally I'm all for the latter, this doesn't kill the hype for me at all, in fact it makes me more excited. The more time they spend fixing the bugs the better.

I'm kinda ok with it too, but please at least put us out of our misery and tell us soon (not Soony) when we can expect it to hit stores, even more so if it got delayed to fall, the wait is killing me.

Breakbeat

Banned
I don't know why some of you are panicking. Sony probably realized that they don't NEED to launch PSVR this quarter, since they have so much in the pipe and sales are better than ever. Better to polish launch games and make sure the experience is as smooth as possible before pushing out a piece of tech this ambitious and untested in the consumer marketplace.

Jerm411

Get it out into the wild in Sept/Oct, let the public proliferate it by word of mouth and playing it, go apeshit with sales on Black Friday/Xmas...

Seems to make sense.

Z3M0G

"small patch" doesn't really fit the bill of getting it to run smoothly on VR. Basegame will probably be 30fps anyways.

The "small patch" wouldn't be to add in the entirety of VR... it would be to perhaps just enable the feature which is already 100% implemented in the game, and perhaps clean up a few bugs they discover during testing between game release and PSVR release.

I'm saying that if NMS releases on time and is planned to support VR, it will release with full VR support even if PSVR releases months later.

Sintoid

They're probably referring to the Project Natal stage "demos" MS pushed several years ago. Some of the most cringe-worthy, and not to mention boring, E3 segments in history.

Actually I checked Youtube and I discovered that during E3 1995 was confirmed with this conference

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fine, I'll just spend all my money on Oculus Rift games for the next six months then. Bah.

Also the last thing I want is a big blow out at E3. You can't easily demo VR on stage, so just tell us the launch lineup and price etc, but no demos please. You should probably do one of them tours in a truck too, to get it in the hands of real people

Top Bottom