• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG tops 7m sold copies and 600k concurrent users

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's steam reviews for you,game added a crate system like csgo (but at the same time they also have free crates) but there was major backlash against it. Then there's the reviews that are making up shit like getting banned for honking their horns close to a streamer (and being unaware about it being a streamer), those are 100% bullshit and are just feeding a streamer hate drama.

I saw several people leaving negative reviews because they got banned for honking the car horn near streamers without even knowing (or so they say, not that it matters), that's the sort of thing that prevents me from buying it, it seems pretty common to get banned for annoying streamers and I can't afford to lose £30 because I kill the wrong person or dare use the horn.

It hit critical mass in like June. After that the rate of sales just keeps increasing. There is no sign of a plateau.

I'm not even sure how they'll manage to get servers going with a 100 man peer 2 peer host.

I'm sure it will have dedicated servers on console. I'm wondering more about the lobby, that will probably have to change at some point. 100 players on the same small island is the most hardware taxing part of the game and you get it every round.

I saw several people leaving negative reviews because they got banned for honking the car horn near streamers without even knowing (or so they say, not that it matters), that's the sort of thing that prevents me from buying it, it seems pretty common to get banned for annoying streamers and I can't afford to lose £30 because I kill the wrong person or dare use the horn.

Ha ha, pretty common? It probably happened to a couple dozen people and they were almost certainly stream sniping. I don't necessarily agree with banning for stream sniping but you aren't going to do it by accident. Hardly the reason to avoid the game.

You have gotta be fucking kidding me lmao

Venfayth

7 million sold copies

Less than a few dozen confirmed bans for "stream honking" or non-stream-sniping

Do the math

The real question is how many toasters come with this game already installed. Having that in mind, I don't think 7m copies is anything to write home about. Who has an uncle or grandmother that doesn't own a toaster?

Ne0n

Banned
As much as i despise this overrated game, I'm glad of it's success, it's great for PC gaming, the ammount of people that are gonna jump ship to PC because of it. ALOT. pewdiepie streaming it alone is gonna bring in hundreds of thousands..

Purkake4

Banned
As much as i despise this overrated game, I'm glad of it's success, it's great for PC gaming, the ammount of people that are gonna jump ship to PC because of it.
Are people really overrating it? It's a popular and fun game, not the pinnacle of gaming goodness.

Why do I have a feeling that all the purse clutching about this game's success will magically fade away when the console version is available...

I'm sure that's legit. Like all those people that had their brother cheat on their account and get banned from games unfairly.

MUnited83

For you.
Neither of those things happen so you're pretty safe. Don't fall for dumb edgelords making up lies in the internet.

Grassy

Nice to see the salty PUBG hot-takes are getting saltier and hotter. I guess that comes with the territory though.

Glad theyve found success, game is trash.

Drdisrespect showing a lot of frustration with the game recently.

You're right, the game sold 7 million copies because it's trash...

DrDisrespect has played probably ~1000 hours of PUBG in the last few months alone. He forces himself to play 6-8 hours nearly everyday even though he's clearly burnt out. He's honestly been carrying on like a whiny little bitch lately with all his raging and moaning about how bad he thinks the game and devs are. Yet he keeps playing it...

Nice to see the salty PUBG hot-takes are getting saltier and hotter. I guess that comes with the territory though.

DrDisrespect has played probably ~1000 hours of PUBG in the last few months alone. He forces himself to play 6-8 hours nearly everyday even though he's clearly burnt out. He's honestly been carrying on like a whiny little bitch lately with all his raging and moaning about how bad he thinks the game and devs are. Yet he keeps playing it...

the downside of being a streamer. pubg is the hottest game out so he can't risk playing something else unless he wants to lose views bc he's not a summit or lirik that can play some shitty game and still maintain the same viewership

aeolist

Banned
52 hours played and i still have never won a game

don't think i've ever put as much time into something i'm so consistently bad at

Grassy

the downside of being a streamer. pubg is the hottest game out so he can't risk playing something else unless he wants to lose views bc he's not a summit or lirik that can play some shitty game and still maintain the same viewership

Absolutely, I do feel sorry for him that he's in that situation. A lot of the guys he normally plays duos/squads with are practising for the Gamescom tourney too, so lately he's been forced to endure the monotony of Solo games which he obviously doesn't like.

I think once Destiny 2 comes out he'll split his time between the two games and start enjoying streaming again.

cripterion

Absolutely, I do feel sorry for him that he's in that situation. A lot of the guys he normally plays duos/squads with are practising for the Gamescom tourney too, so lately he's been forced to endure the monotony of Solo games which he obviously doesn't like.

I think once Destiny 2 comes out he'll split his time between the two games and start enjoying streaming again.

Destiny wasn't looking hot for the Doc... I think he'll have some fun with the newest CoD. Hopefully.
I understand his frustrations with the game though, I play it with a friend cause it's easy to get a game going but I'm tired of the shit servers, the bugs,the same weapons, same map, the ransom damage, etc...

Glad theyve found success, game is trash.

Drdisrespect showing a lot of frustration with the game recently.

Doc is absolutely the wrong person to base an opinion of any game. I like Doc, but he whines too much about all games.

Watch Grimmmz or TSM_Viss to get a good opinion about the game

Walking simulator has never been more the truth. How people find this game fun is beyond me with all the pay to win crap flooding the game

Then when someone calls a spade a spade there's a rush to downplay with hot takes and bad image macros, just lol.

Wake me up when this doesn't won GOTY, not a very bold prediction. Lol, just lol

"pay to win" LMAO

Didnt know the skirt had some magic sauce for wins lol

m29a

Neo Member

I don't even watch DrDisRespect anymore because he plays duos so much now and gets carried by Viss or Shroud (it's obvious how many more kills they get compared to him, just boring to watch).

But that's his gimmick. The guy he is playing as truly believes he is the best and anytime he loses, of course he thinks it's never his fault, he's the best, already on top of the mountain of success. His fans want that from him, it's all entertainment.

Also, he's played 560 hours since he's owned the game.

As for him continuing to play it, do you really blame him? The guy has boomed in popularity these past 6 months and more. I want to say that 2 months ago he had around 500k followers and now at 800k, he's now up to between 18-20k subscribers as well (based on a tweet from july 8th, he says "20 million" but means 20k. He does that for his concurrent viewers to, says millions.

Only a fool would change up what he's doing.

JoeLT

Really curious to see how it does on Xbox, I'm honestly unsure if it will do well at all. Hell im confused how the game will work on Xbox at all. The game is all about long distance engagements and super fine precision aim. How will that work with a controller? Even with aim assist it will be wonky, feeling the meta on console will be completely different and scopes will be way more OP on console than on PC.

Aters

Density of players is generally very low, and the game's network architecture isn't such that everyone's local machine is doing a ton of tracking of all 100 players at all times. Even games like Battlefield use a "sphere" system where things like hit detection and player movement interpolation get finer grained as players get closer together, I'd have to imagine PUBG is similar in that regard.

That would be great. I'm playing on very low on PC, so graphic downgrade doesn't mean shit to me. I'd love to play it on PS4. I like controller more than mouse and keyboard.

JoeLT

Density of players is generally very low, and the game's network architecture isn't such that everyone's local machine is doing a ton of tracking of all 100 players at all times. Even games like Battlefield use a "sphere" system where things like hit detection and player movement interpolation get finer grained as players get closer together, I'd have to imagine PUBG is similar in that regard.
In comparison to say Battlefield there's never really 60 players within close proximity to one another. Hope their NetCode is efficient enough for 60fps on console, this game won't do as well if it's less than 60 on console.

Asmodai48

Walking simulator has never been more the truth. How people find this game fun is beyond me with all the pay to win crap flooding the game

Then when someone calls a spade a spade there's a rush to downplay with hot takes and bad image macros, just lol.

Wake me up when this doesn't won GOTY, not a very bold prediction. Lol, just lol

What pay to win? And why are you whining about pay to win when you play LoL? Lol, just lol.

Mooreberg

Really curious to see how it does on Xbox, I'm honestly unsure if it will do well at all. Hell im confused how the game will work on Xbox at all. The game is all about long distance engagements and super fine previous aim. How will that work with a controller? Even with aim assist it will be wonky, feeling the meta on console will be completely different and scopes will be way more OP on console than on PC.
Word of mouth will carry it to a ton of initial interest. I think the key thing will be having acceptable performance (and not requiring One X for that to be the case) and fewer bugs than what is tolerated by early access users on Steam. This cannot be a Day Z scenario where it resides in an unfinished state for years. I don't think they intend to let that happen anyway. If handled correctly, lifetime sales across all platforms could match or exceed the best selling COD titles (though obviously over a longer period of time).

Grassy

I don't even watch DrDisRespect anymore because he plays duos so much now and gets carried by Viss or Shroud (it's obvious how many more kills they get compared to him, just boring to watch).

But that's his gimmick. The guy he is playing as truly believes he is the best and anytime he loses, of course he thinks it's never his fault, he's the best, already on top of the mountain of success. His fans want that from him, it's all entertainment.

Also, he's played 560 hours since he's owned the game.

As for him continuing to play it, do you really blame him? The guy has boomed in popularity these past 6 months and more. I want to say that 2 months ago he had around 500k followers and now at 800k, he's now up to between 18-20k subscribers as well (based on a tweet from july 8th, he says "20 million" but means 20k. He does that for his concurrent viewers to, says millions.

Only a fool would change up what he's doing.

I don't want to turn this into a DrDisrespect hijack thread, but as someone who's watched him nearly everyday since April, you can tell he goes out of character when he gets frustrated and just goes off on anger-fueled rants. He's said on-stream before he has anger management issues(after he picked up his mouse and smashed it into the ground playing H1Z1) and it clearly shows in his streams lately.

I like the guy and his character(at times) and of course why would you stop when you're making thousands per day in donations and subs, but you can tell he's frustrated as hell at the moment and not really enjoying it for the most part.

HowZatOZ

Banned
As much as i despise this overrated game, I'm glad of it's success, it's great for PC gaming, the ammount of people that are gonna jump ship to PC because of it. ALOT. pewdiepie streaming it alone is gonna bring in hundreds of thousands..

Can I ask why you despise it so much? Just not your cup of tea?

Edit: Holy shit at all the salt flowing in here. How can you people be so mad at a video game of all things, just chill and enjoy the chicken dinners. There is no pay to win, there is no issue with cosmetics being added to a paid crate system and I very much doubt it has killed your grandmother with how some of you act. I wouldn't be surprised some of you get banned though, some overreaching arguments with little to no evidence backing up your claims.

Ne0n

Banned
Can I ask why you despise it so much? Just not your cup of tea?

The concept is great, but there are many reasons i despise it so much.

-fact it's such a mess performance wise and will never get better (but the devs keep pretending it will to sell more and more copies, optimisation would have been fixed and done by now if they could do it, fact is UE4 is just NOT GOOD at open world multiplayer at this scale and never will be. it will always have serious performance issues, And people with expensive computers will always be playing it on underwhelming settings, making it look ugly.

-it's the bunch of really poor, lazy design decisions, like dumping all the players in the waiting lobby all bunched together when they could be separated and spread out which would totally help performance instead of your first taste being this laggy fuckfest.

-the art sucks, environments blow, character designs shoddy. It's all totally playing it safe and there's nothing creative going on here, just cut and paste generic bullshit. I mean i get it, and look how many copies it sold. but it's shit from a creative standpoint, the menu music is crappy too.

-Most idiotic name ever, and just yeah, who names a game after yourself, unless you're an established writer/filmmaker or something. And if you must name a game after yourself, at least have a short, cool snappy name, 'PLAYER UNKNOWN'? Yeah cool dude. That annoys me too.

I own it and it's pretty fun, but by god is it a terrible hardship to actually play. Runs like shit, looks and plays jank af, crashes, geometry doesn't even load, and there's a bewildering lack of content for the asking price.

JoeLT

-fact it's such a mess performance wise and will never get better (but the devs keep pretending it will to sell more and more copies, optimisation would have been fixed and done by now if they could do it, fact is UE4 is just NOT GOOD at open world multiplayer at this scale and never will be. it will always have serious performance issues, And people with expensive computers will always be playing it on underwhelming settings, making it look ugly.

-it's the bunch of really poor, lazy design decisions, like dumping all the players in the waiting lobby all bunched together when they could be separated and spread out which would totally help performance instead of your first taste being this laggy fuckfest.

-the art sucks, environments blow, character designs shoddy. It's all totally playing it safe and there's nothing creative going on here, just cut and paste generic bullshit. I mean i get it, and look how many copies it sold. but it's shit from a creative standpoint, the menu music is crappy too.

-Most idiotic name ever, and just yeah, who names a game after yourself, unless you're an established writer/filmmaker or something. And if you must name a game after yourself, at least have a short, cool snappy name, 'PLAYER UNKNOWN'? Yeah cool dude. That annoys me too.
Sea of Thieves is an open world mutliplayer game and looks and runs fantastic, even on Xbox One. This definitely isn't the fault of UE4.

Although the points you bring up are true and a bit bothersome, I don't think they're nearly enough to warrant the game being "trash". That's all pretty minor as far as games go, this is like people refusing to buy games because of the icon in that other thread.

Ne0n

Banned
Sea of Thieves is an open world mutliplayer game and looks and runs fantastic, even on Xbox One. This definitely isn't the fault of UE4.

Although the points you bring up are true and a bit bothersome, I don't think they're nearly enough to warrant the game being "trash". That's all pretty minor as far as games go, this is like people refusing to buy games because of the icon in that other thread.

Sea of thieves is a completely different game in terms of visuals the polycount/textures are going to be much MUCH lighter than that of a 'realistic modern' shooter, which has much more complex geometry and higher resolution textures/shadows etc etc.

If you think playing a poorly optimised(forever), laggy, badly designed game with shit art is only 'a bit bothersome' then all the power to you, you will enjoy a lot more games than me.

p.s if it didn't have these issues I would totally love the hell out of it. Another thing that annoys me is the amount of people willing to settle with this and totally be fine with it. It's gonna send out a bad message to studios thinking they can release a janky peice of broken shit and still sell 1000 billion copies

JoeLT

Sea of thieves is a completely different game in terms of visuals the polycount/textures are going to be much MUCH lighter than that of a 'realistic modern' shooter, which has much more complex geometry and higher resolution textures/shadows etc etc.

If you think playing a poorly optimised(forever), laggy, badly designed game with shit art is only 'a bit bothersome' then all the power to you, you will enjoy a lot more games than me.
More complex geometry? Have you had a look at Sea Of Thieves and what it's doing with Netcode for physics simulation with players on ships being affected by bodies of water. The shadows are also an odd point as they're very good in Sea of Thieves. The game isn't particularly low poly or low res either, just because the game has a cartoon art style doesn't mean it's not technically very complex. The fluid simulation in that game is more complex than anything going on in Battlegrounds.

Ne0n

Banned
Yes. I've looked at it and watched loads of gameplay. And no, there's no way it would even come close to what battlegrounds is trying to render/calculate at a single given moment. If you think otherwise you don't know what you're talking about.

and yes, the water in sea of thieves is amazing, but it is not real time physics at play but still very cleverly engineered! - Same with the destruction.

I don't really understand what point you're trying to make here anyway, yes, a better studio can make better design decisions than the DEVS at PUB, kinda what i was saying from the start.

Ne0n

Banned
Not mad, just giving my opinion on reasons that make me dislike it.... Like i said i don't really see terrible performance and netcode as 'trivial' either.

Ne0n

Banned
Among other things, as I stated.

I also said if it didn't have any of those issues I would love the game. like i said, the concept is fantastic.

How about you stop getting mad at someones opinion?

HelloMeow

Who cares about the title, or "art" in a battle royale game as long as they're having fun.

I do. The inconsistent quality, theme and realism of various assets is very distracting. Some areas look great and in some places it looks like a 12 year old had some fun with a level editor.

I find the lunatics driving around honking their horns to the tune of god bless America more distracting than shitty art assets, but to each their own.

HowZatOZ

Banned

Those are fair arguments, but my only problem with these arguments is you keep saying "it will never get better" or "poorly optimised(forever)" which in fact it has no evidence of being stuck in a poorly optimised state "forever" due to its continued development. I would agree with you if the game did in fact never launch, or launch at a poorly performed state and had no work to rectify that. This however is not the case with it currently being in early access and development very much active, to the point where patch plans have now changed to accommodate larger updates but be tested for further time frames.

With your point on graphics, that's really a user defined aesthetic and each to their own there. I personally enjoy its ARMA style, and have no qualms with how it looks for its realistic nature. For the lobby, I see no performance issues on my end but I can understand others may not and who knows it may be changed in the future to accommodate a better method.

On your naming point, to that I say who cares? PlayerUnknown is a very well known name in the modding scene and also in the general Battle Royale genre scene for PC. He initially created a mod spinoff from DayZ, to then going into H1Z1's spin off and also an ARMA 3 mod as well. He is seen as the grandfather of battle royale for PC and I don't stress about the naming.

At the end of the day its a video game, and each to their own on the enjoyment of said video game. I respect your opinions and I'm grateful that you didn't just slide by slinging shit and never elaborate.

Those are fair arguments, but my only problem with these arguments is you keep saying "it will never get better" or "poorly optimised(forever)" which in fact it has no evidence of being stuck in a poorly optimised state "forever" due to its continued development. I would agree with you if the game did in fact never launch, or launch at a poorly performed state and had no work to rectify that. This however is not the case with it currently being in early access and development very much active, to the point where patch plans have now changed to accommodate larger updates but be tested for further time frames.

It's cute that you think the performance will get better and not stay the same.

These type of popular early access steam games never leave alpha or beta. It will become a bloated mess until it dies just like all the others that have failed to fill the void. It's a trend at this point and people keep falling for it.

It will never be in a finished state, why would it be? it's making them money hand over fist.

Javier23

Banned
It's cute that you think the performance will get better and not stay the same.

These type of popular early access steam games never leave alpha or beta. It will become a bloated mess until it dies just like all the others that have failed to fill the void. It's a trend at this point and people keep falling for it.

It will never be in a finished state, why would it be? it's making them money hand over fist.
Lmao. Ignorance truly can be a wondrous thing.

Top Bottom