• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle Fighter announced - Mobile.

Neoxon

I'm surprised that they didn't do this already. Seemed like a perfect choice for mobile devices.

The models do look weird, though.

vala

Chun-li's face day 1 patch, pls!

DIlKvBDWAAE2AWF.jpg:large

(they did this on purpose....)

I spent way too much time on Puzzle Fighter when I was younger. Got excited about this and then saw mobile. I dont like playing anything on mobile.

So did Capcom fire all their art department from the last 20 years and replace them all or something? They used to have such a good handle on art, but now... Ew.

I don't get the art complaints. It looks exactly like Puzzle Fighter..This isn't a new thing.

Unless too many of you were either to young to remember Puzzle Fighter or didn't play it.

MrCarter

So did Capcom fire all their art department from the last 20 years and replace them all or something? They used to have such a good handle on art, but now... Ew.

Check out Monster Hunter World, SFV (Chun in my avatar) and Resident Evil 7 - it's still all there. This art (although yes, the sprites did look great) is clearly a stylistic choice due to what the mobile market likes and due to it being F2P. MvCi is a whole other issue though, that game's art is very inconsistent.

I'll admit, I like the backgrounds. But the characters? It looks like one of those bad "Learn to draw manga" artstyles you see in cheap mobile games ripping off another big franchise.

GG-Duo

I wish people would stop complaining about mobile. It's just a platform - and with it having such a big casual market, it's kind of the perfect place for this.

But man, that art style is soooooo bad.

Because it is one. I wonder if this is Capcom Vancouver's new fate? Mobile games?

It wouldn't surprise me. They moved to a smaller office recently.

Jawmuncher

Check out Monster Hunter World, SFV (Chun in my avatar) and Resident Evil 7 - it's still all there. This art (although yes, the sprites did look great) is clearly a stylistic choice due to what the mobile market likes and due to it being F2P. MvCi is a whole other issue though, that game's art is very inconsistent.

The problem is it's not their consistently across all their titles.

Neoxon

The problem is it's not their consistently across all their titles.
At least with MvCI, an argument could be made that Marvel requested the art style change & Capcom couldn't nail the execution of it. Given the Marvel character choices, the lack of classic Marvel themes, & how other recent non-Lego console Marvel games approached their art styles, it wouldn't be that surprising. This is another situation entirely.

GG-Duo

I think this is a flawed strategy, unless they're deliberately focused on a limited audience

1.) By having this art style, it's making it hard to internationalize. This art is unappealing to markets like Japan or other parts of Asia.
2.) It's also unappealing to *existing* fans of Puzzle Fighter, a group that they could've leveraged as the seed to this game

Piccoro

It doesn't look good at all.
For anyone that needs a Puzzle Fighter fix, just get the HD version on PS360. Much better than this mobile thing.

I honestly don't have a huge problem with the artstyle as long as the gameplay is intact, which it looks to be.

I just want two things out of this. Original vs gameplay and Online. As long as it has that, I'm good.
The FBI should investigate on mobile gaming. It raped and killed too many of our beloved franchises.

This is GAF. This is not a place for casual audience.

We have every right to critique bad and ugly games.
Especially when the ugliness is a fact, not an opinion.

Are you a Capcom fanboy or a Mobile fanboy...?
Christ I get mobile gaming not being your thing, but is it with these embarrassing , low quality posts?

For anyone that needs a Puzzle Fighter fix, just get the HD version on PS360. Much better than this mobile thing.
Yeah but the online scene is obviously dead. This mobile version will be the place to be fair multiplayer until Capcom ever blesses the current gen with a port of SPFHD.

Unicorn

Would love if Capcom would take after neogeo and out up some arcade classics on the eshop for Switch.

Really though, puzzle fighter deserves better than this 😢

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The complain is that Puzzle Fighter (as well as Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix) had amazing sprite work, with a lot of charm and attention to details. And now that part of the game was replaced with this.
Yeah, that's a shame. But the people saying that the game isn't worth playing because of that are insane.

leroidys

HD version looks awful. Stick with Saturn IMHO.
Why do people treat mobile games as something "well, it looks like garbage, but for mobile... it will do it"? It's still a game, and there are a lot of mobile games with great art design. And you don't need some great budget to make a pretty game; Mega Man Legend characters have more charm and look better (even with low-poly models and low-res textures) than those generic booble heads. :/
Different audience, different platform, different pricing strategy. I didn't say I liked it.

Vecks

Puzzle fighter sounds perfect for mobile. I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner. But that art style is eh...

MrCarter

I think this is a flawed strategy, unless they're deliberately focused on a limited audience

1.) By having this art style, it's making it hard to internationalize. This art is unappealing to markets like Japan or other parts of Asia.
2.) It's also unappealing to *existing* fans of Puzzle Fighter, a group that they could've leveraged as the seed to this game

Existing fans of the Super Puzzle fighter is very niche so making HD sprites would seem like a big gamble financially imo. To me, it looks like they are focusing all their efforts on targeting that casual audience that like Clash of Clans etc. with this sort of art style.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit.

"Hey instead of putting in a Monster Hunter character, in order to represent pretty much the one series that's keeping our company alive, let's put in E.Honda."

Fucking geniuses over there at Capcom I tell you.
E. Honda looks like an NPC as part of some sort of store or redemption system and Monster Hunter devs have a history of refusing to allow MH things in crossover games.

Vic_Viper

With all the Card games coming out lately, I can't believe Capcom hasn't released a new Card Fighters! Even without the SNK license.

Would much rather get another one of those over this crap.

Was that SNK or Capcom?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
E. Honda looks like an NPC as part of some sort of store or redemption system and Monster Hunter devs have a history of refusing to allow MH things in crossover games.

Well, I think it's nonsense to push the agenda forward right now especially we heard that Monster Hunter make her appearance in story mode via article and Capcom also got Monster Hunter characters in Street Fighter Vs. All Capcom.

W8lm9bu.jpg

I think we could say that the MH deves have been loosen up and allow their Monster Hunter characters being in cross-over games now. It's plausible that Monster Hunter characters might be saved as future character(s) for the fans to pay for.

Platy

It's plausible that Monster Hunter characters might be saved as future character(s) for the fans to pay for.

It is also plausible that we don't know the full roster of a game that just got announced =P

And he MUST be at the next Pocket Fighter and it would be much easier if they can just tweak the model he has here ;D

Bull. Despite the artwork being different and it being similar to most mobile games in present day the gameplay still looks heavily intact.

Nope we need full hand drawn 2D sprites in a F2P puzzle game releasing in 2017.
/s

It looks like most western mobile games, which I don't think are honestly going to be interested in the game in any case.

People act like 2D is dead when some of the highest grossing mobile apps in the world still use 2D assets. Not all of them of course, but the Japan market is almost dominated by them.

Both 2D FF games (RK and BE) regularly beat the 3D ones in gross + you have Monster Strike, P&D, Granblue, DQ games, FGO, SinoAlice, Dokkan battle, etc. etc.

While most are not true 'pixel' art games I still think this game would perform better in all territories if it followed the current 2D art trends in mobile games.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It is also plausible that we don't know the full roster of a game that just got announced =P

And he MUST be at the next Pocket Fighter and it would be much easier if they can just tweak the model he has here ;D

Yes, if we are going to get one or two Monster Hunter characters for Base Roster then it's more likely we would get more in the future. That's how they would make money on that.

Tweak the model from MVCI into Pocket Fighter?

Top Bottom