• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Quake 6" Tease found in Xbox Direct

Draugoth

Gold Member
Yesterday saw the latest edition of Xbox Developer_Direct, where Microsoft studios presented news of their eagerly awaited games. The highlight was the first gameplay of Indiana Jones and the Great Circle, the latest title from MachineGames. However, it seems that the studio ended up revealing more than that.

Players with more attentive eyes noticed that during MachineGames' presentation, in one of the white frames that the camera ends up filming, there is a mention of a new game from another Microsoft franchise.

As you can see in the image below, you can see that in the left-hand corner it says 'AKE 6'. Gamers believe that the full text is QUAKE 6, with the Quake franchise symbol just below the phrase. This would indicate that a new game in this classic FPS franchise is in development.

sHXoLj4.jpeg

There… was a Quake 5?

I find it amusing that the only reason a Quake “franchise” exists is because they couldn’t think of a good name for Quake 2 that wasn’t already in use. I always read all their .plan files back then, and remember someone saying they gave up searching and just went with Quake 2.

Last edited:

R3TRODYCE

Sometimes I feel out of touch…I always say who wants that when I see old titles coming back.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Wait, there was Quake 5?

Seriously though, I would rather prefer for MachineGames to first finish their Wolfenstein series. We still have some loose ends. That being said, Quake game from them makes a lot of sense as they not only worked on expansions for Quake and Quake II remasters, but also their devs shown to be very interested in this franchise

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So which one is 5, Quake Wars or Quake Champions, lol. I'd vote for the former though neither had a campaign. It was pretty rad for 2006. Kind of like, what if UT2004's Onslaught mode was made with id Tech 4 (yeah the Doom 3 iteration) and Enemy Territory classes in two different factions.

Hope we get a campaign this time, you can't revive pure arena shooters as anything other than some temporary Fortnite event nowadays, sadly.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Let's hope they realize that no one actually cares about arena shooters (other than reminiscing about how much they love Q3A/UT99 online) and they make a Quake 1-inspired boomer shooter instead.

Bulletzen72

Oh! Yes please! No Strogg though! I want that gothic Lovecraftian techno mashup! I miss Shamblers, chainsaw wielding ogres. fiends etc!

Reactions: Isa
What if they save the Gothic style for a new Hexen?

0k3fh1h04dj91.gif

KH07aK.gif

wVocEv.gif
I don't think that's going to happen, honestly. It would be sweet if it did, but that's more Gothic / Fantasy.

Even though I massively prefer Quake 2 to Quake, I have to agree, I think a modern take on Q2 would just feel like Doom 2016.

edit - Squarepusher fan's triggering emoje made me re-evaluate, I want Quake 2 modern, I was a fool!
Agree to disagree!

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
If it’s a new quake I really hope they go back to the gothic style/story of the first game. That could be quite unique nowadays. There’s loads of sci fi games at the minute. Also write Trent reznor a blank cheque for the soundtrack!
Demon Lava GIF by Xbox
They kinda did with Doom Eternal. It has icy gothic stages, medieval stages, and lots of color to balance stuff like a old fun cartoon

I agree though

Apocryphon

There… was a Quake 5?

I find it amusing that the only reason a Quake “franchise” exists is because they couldn’t think of a good name for Quake 2 that wasn’t already in use. I always read all their .plan files back then, and remember someone saying they gave up searching and just went with Quake 2.
It’s true. They were originally going with ‘WOR’ which would obviously have been horrible 😂

What if they save the Gothic style for a new Hexen?

0k3fh1h04dj91.gif

KH07aK.gif

wVocEv.gif
Microsoft own the IP but I wouldn’t want them to give it to id Software tbh. Most of the original staffers have moved on but if they make Hexen game I would still rather it went back to Raven. John Romero is the only member of id that was involved with Heteric and Hexen.

Oh! Yes please! No Strogg though! I want that gothic Lovecraftian techno mashup! I miss Shamblers, chainsaw wielding ogres. fiends etc!
This would be my preference too. I’ll accept a clumsily written shared universe if I must to get Lovecraftian Quake levels and enemies on modern id Tech but I’d really rather it didn’t have any Strogg connections at all. I expect they will go all Return to Castle Stroggenstein though unfortunately.

From Machine Games?

giphy.gif
I really hope so. At this point they have more experience with Quake than the current id team. Quake 1 style gameplay, Dimension of the Machine/Arcane Dimensions style level design, Lovecraftian aesthetic, Quake 3 style multiplayer, horde mode, 2-4 player co-op, a roguelite or raid mode, modding support and some sort of built in map making tool… 🤩

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Everyone's favorite person Nick mentioned this was a thing over the summer. I believe he said it was supposed to have a female protagonist.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Apocryphon

Wait, there's a Quake 5?
Quake
Scourge of Armagon
Dissolution of Eternity
Dimension of the Past
Dimension of the Machine

Wishful thinking I know 😂

They obviously count Champions as 5.. though that just makes me feel bad for Quake Wars: Enemy Territory.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Quake
Scourge of Armagon
Dissolution of Eternity
Dimension of the Past
Dimension of the Machine

Wishful thinking I know 😂

They obviously count Champions as 5.. though that just makes me feel bad for Quake Wars: Enemy Territory.

Lol, I thought Champions was just an evolved Quake Live, which was basically Quake III.

Top Bottom