• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

prag16

Banned
Is ot possible to get a stable and well-paced 60 fps with a gtx 970 if you don't mind turning down settings?

Right now it is impossible, UWP aggressively intercepts frame buffers so frame time is all over the place regardless how high your fps is.

Impossible is a very strong word. I'm running pretty smoothly on a 970 with a mix of medium/high settings. I definitely wouldn't characterize it as "frame time is all over the place". I don't have tools monitoring it and I don't have proof, but if I'm not holding 60 throughout, it's pretty damn close.

Not sure why the handful of people in this and the other topic reporting pretty good results with a 970 are basically being ignored, drowned out by a chorus of "lol even Titans and 980ti's serve up unplayable garbage!!!!"

That sucks :/

Just fwiw, this can't be entirely down to UWP. The Windows Store version of Tomb Raider played wonderfully.

Again, can't necessarily take that as gospel. I'm not the only one who has has actually played the game (unlike the majority of this thread) and is reporting something different. And yeah, I was also gonna ask where he's getting that "UWP aggressively intercepting frame buffers" thing from. (In case there's any question, I'm anything but a Microsoft fanboy; I've never owned a Microsoft console.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm not about to go around shitting on people for "not being grateful". But me, personally, well I guess grateful isn't quite the right word. But I'm happy I don't have to buy an xbone now for just one game. If they fix it, all the better. I'll no doubt do multiple playthroughs, so I'll at least hold out for my second one for a while in hopes of improvements, even if I'm not totally "unhappy" with the current state.

And for the record while the blatant MS defenders are out of their minds, I also feel like it's disingenuous to go around telling people, "lol, even if you have a 980ti you're FUCKED." The blatant apologists are out of line, but the "other side" isn't devoid of some hyperbole either.

Every frametime graph out there that I've seen screams out "fucked" to me. Especially considering there isn't even the option to smooth things out using third party tools like there usually would be.

To me, this is the definition of a fucked pc port:

- Unstable framerate regardless of hardware or setting selected
- Unstable frame times
- No SLI/Crossfire support
- No Gsync/Freesync support
- No way to get it rendering at your native resolution of choice
- No 3rd party tool support to clean up framerate or blur
- Patch is possibly going to take weeks to appear if the UWP version of Tomb Raider is anything to go by

Every PC centric benchmarking website has also said its fucked (look in the OP) and you will find that the discussions that are taking place on other PC forums and even Remedys own official forums are exactly the same. But all of this is just hyperbolic I guess.

Sorry, but standards are standards and they have been set a long time ago. The moment we all start compromising to this degree then we are sending out a message that this is acceptable, then ultimately it will be us as paying consumers who are going to be fucked in the future.

vcc

Every frametime graph out there that I've seen screams out "fucked" to me. Especially considering there isn't even the option to smooth things out using third party tools like there usually would be.

To me, this is the definition of a fucked pc port:

- Unstable framerate regardless of hardware or setting selected
- Unstable frame times
- No SLI/Crossfire support
- No Gsync/Freesync support
- No way to get it rendering at your native resolution of choice
- No 3rd party tool support to clean up framerate or blur
- Patch is possibly going to take weeks to appear if the UWP version of Tomb Raider is anything to go by

Every PC centric benchmarking website has also said its fucked (look in the OP) and you will find that the discussions that are taking place on other PC forums and even Remedys own official forums are exactly the same. But all of this is just hyperbolic I guess.

Sorry, but standards are standards and they have been set a long time ago. The moment we all start compromising to this degree then we are sending out a message that this is acceptable, then ultimately it will be us as paying consumers who are going to be fucked in the future.

To be fair, you can play just fine at 25-60 fps. It may not look smooth or be a good use of you $1500 rig but it'd be playable. Just look worse than it ought.

vcc

Super doper 25-60fps framerate is not "fine".

I lived through 15 fps doom. I'm sure folks can do 25-60 fps QB. It's not acceptable that a game that looks okay is performing so bad and especially not okay that all routes to fix it are closes but it's playable so if someone wanted to pick it up for PC it's not the end of the world. Although they should probably wait for a sale.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thank you Microsoft for protecting all the good pirates out there!

tumblr_inline_o4i8ypRBhY1tinwwq_500.gif

Holy shit, lol. Jack Sparrow memes get me all the time. Such an awesome character.

prag16

Banned
I lived through 15 fps doom. I'm sure folks can do 25-60 fps QB. It's not acceptable that a game that looks okay is performing so bad and especially not okay that all routes to fix it are closes but it's playable so if someone wanted to pick it up for PC it's not the end of the world. Although they should probably wait for a sale.

People do definitely have different definitions of what they consider playable. Myself I tend to favor framerate (and vsync) above other considerations. On my 970 with medium/high settings I'm definitely not seeing wild 25-60 crazyness very often if at all. The IQ is far more noticeable than any alleged frame rate problems.

Is there an easy utility I could install to measure frametimes or does UWP make that a laborious process?

All the frame time graphs I've seen where they complain seem to be using ultra/maxxed settings. Any out there with 970s running say medium settings?

The PC performance topic is less help then I'd have hoped; seemingly very few people in there who actually have the game especially in the more recent pages of discussion. Hopefully digital foundry's writeup will explore various settings rather than just cranking everything up to max like most of the other articles seem to have done.

theultimo

A sale will never happen

And I'm suffering through at 900p locked 30 because it's actually smoother then 60 vsync

I just cant get FISHER! THATS ONE ALARM TOO MUCH! IM ABORTING THIS MISSION! Out of my head though

theultimo

People do definitely have different definitions of what they consider playable. Myself I tend to favor framerate (and vsync) above other considerations. On my 970 with medium/high settings I'm definitely not seeing wild 25-60 crazyness very often if at all.

Is there an easy utility I could install to measure frametimes or does UWP make that a laborious process?

All the frame time graphs I've seen where they complain seem to be using ultra/maxxed settings. Any out there with 970s running say medium settings?

The PC performance topic is less help then I'd have hoped; very few people in there who actually have the game especially in the more recent pages of discussion.

My 970m (desktop 960) runs 40-60 at 1080p with min framerates dropping to 30 or 20 sometimes on medium detail. The problem is frame times are a mess, so if you are used to g sync the judder is off the scale.

If you lock it to 30 it seems to be better with stutters and juddering due to vsync working better, but sometimes there is input lag. But having it locked to 30 I drop it to 900p and have high detail.

But in the end, nothing can ever change. The stutters will continue until the end of time.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
How can you say there's no benefit?

I haven't used Photoshop in ages but third-party add-ons and mods used to be very useful. Sounds like possibly the opposite of beneficial.

Nokterian

Wow, haven't seen a dev respond so arrogantly for requesting FOV changes since... The Darkness 2?

And totalbiscuit going nuts over it and for good reason really low FoV makes me dizzy. Have you seen the FAQ? Also a trainwreck it's like they don't know what there doing or it is just pure arrogance.

prag16

Banned

It's not unanimous. Here's one from today that's far more positive: http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/quantum-break-pc-performance-analysis/

I believe PC World said it was basically fine also. So no, not everything is screaming "fucked fucked fucked". Hell a few posts above is a guy basically running on a 960 (relatively weak at this point) and doing better than you would ever expect reading the "fucked fucked fucked with a 980ti" narrative.

Not everything has to be one extreme or the other (except I guess it does; this is the internet).

It's not unanimous. Here's one from today that's far more positive: http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/quantum-break-pc-performance-analysis/

I believe PC World said it was basically fine also. So no, not everything is screaming "fucked fucked fucked". Hell a few posts above is a guy basically running on a 960 (relatively weak at this point) and doing better than you would ever expect reading the "fucked fucked fucked with a 980ti" narrative.

Not everything has to be one extreme or the other (except I guess it does; this is the internet).

Wow, that does look smooth. Better than some other videos I've seen so far.

Come on, Microsoft, give us our keys already. I want to put it through my own wringer.

theultimo

Yeah it all depends on the detail settings.

If you are expecting 1080p ultra maxed options at 60 fps, I can see why you would think its fucked.

Medium and low settings show that older cards scale nicely.

Just don't expect full options.

hmm that is smooth and way smoother than what I am getting on a 970. Doesn't seem to matter what I change (resolution settings etc.) I still cant get it to run at what feels like any more than about 15 fps

Running these settings (captured via obs, shadow play is broken in UWP)
https://youtu.be/43FygpUOqP4

Perfectly smooth to me, but don't expect ultra detail

Actually looks the same as what I get, those videos look exactly how the game plays for me. To me that doesn't feel smooth at all (nor do your videos look it), guess I am more sensitive to this than I realised.

Still I will carry on playing, enjoying the content so far.

Edit: the settings you show are the same as mine too

theultimo

This is more accurate and show off the frame pacing issues encountered as i adjusted obs settings to recording: ptetty much what you can experience on lower end hardware

Now its smooth enough for joystick control, but i wouldnt want mouse/kb because of the latency bw frames

This is on medium detail with a 960 class, i think 970/980 can handle high just fine.

Its not perfect, but at least its playable, unlike its broken feeling.

I did get this version free from xbox one pre order, so i didnt pay it as well...jut a nice tradeoff.

https://youtu.be/yyHVIjp2gT4

I hereby summarize this thread with: "Don't believe all those benchmarks, you should play the game yourself, it's smooth."

Very convincing, especially for the potential buyers.

tuxfool

Banned
This is more accurate and show off the frame pacing issues encountered as i adjusted obs settings to recording: ptetty much what you can experience on lower end hardware

Now its smooth enough for joystick control, but i wouldnt want mouse/kb because of the latency bw frames

This is on medium detail with a 960 class, i think 970/980 can handle high just fine.

Its not perfect, but at least its playable, unlike its broken feeling

This looks horrible. I'm sorry, but not everybody is as tolerant as you are.

theultimo

This looks horrible. I'm sorry, but not everybody is as tolerant as you are.

well yeah its not the best situation. I know its broken in the underlying standards, but at least it does work. I, having fun with it currently, i would have more fun with a proper port though yes.

Its not perfect, but at least its playable, unlike its broken feeling.

I did get this version free from xbox one pre order, so i didnt pay it as well...jut a nice tradeoff.

https://youtu.be/yyHVIjp2gT4

...Wait, you got your code? I haven't heard of anyone getting their code yet.

MaLDo

well yeah its not the best situation. I know its broken in the underlying standards, but at least it does work. I, having fun with it currently, i would have more fun with a proper port though yes.

But you said perfectly smooth just above....

theultimo

But you said perfectly smooth just above....

I should say perfectly smooth compared to the xbox version. Frame times are all over the place yes.

I might have misspoke with that - it still is a janky port, but its playable to a fault. its just you have to lower standards, and not many people would considering the price you pay for it and PC performance you get in return. Its a lose lose scenario right now and i would recommend no one buy it currently yes.

Now i am mad as hell that it could be better. I would love to play this with a mouse and keyboard, but the stuttering is unreal with it.

ethomaz

Banned
Estes some time watching the videos posted here...

Smooth...

Hell no... even in video it looks terrible to play.

Remedy please...

- Fix the framerate
- Give option to disable temporal resolution and get native
- Optimize the dam game

My 970m (desktop 960) runs 40-60 at 1080p with min framerates dropping to 30 or 20 sometimes on medium detail. The problem is frame times are a mess, so if you are used to g sync the judder is off the scale.

If you lock it to 30 it seems to be better with stutters and juddering due to vsync working better, but sometimes there is input lag. But having it locked to 30 I drop it to 900p and have high detail.

But in the end, nothing can ever change. The stutters will continue until the end of time.
1080p is actually just 720p upscaled.

Even in 5K the game still looks blurry.

theultimo

Estes some time watching the videos posted here...

Smooth...

Hell no... even in video it looks terrible to play.

Remedy please...

- Fix the framerate
- Give option to disable temporal resolution and get native
- Optimize the dam game

Well I didn't push it to ultra, that's a slideshow :lol. I guess I'm used to jank playing destiny for so long.

Yes there is underlying issues that need to be address before anyone buys this. Sadly, I do wish it was a win32 game as some of the options could be fixed easily if given the chance.

Doikor

Right now it is impossible, UWP aggressively intercepts frame buffers so frame time is all over the place regardless how high your fps is.

Are you sure its UWP? Killer Instinct seems to be nice and smooth 60fps that you expect from a fighting game. (or is just that frame timing goes to shit when it can't maintain 60?)

theultimo

Are you sure its UWP? Killer Instinct seems to be nice and smooth 60fps that you expect from a fighting game. (or is just that frame timing goes to shit when it can't maintain 60?)
The latter, if you cannot do a sustained 60 fps it drops to 30 for frames until 60 comes back, which makes qb for instance stuttery.

Gsync would help immensely here.

dsk1210

We need to repro issues, research them, analysue and then we can say whats up. Please have some patience.

Sorry man but did you play the pc version At all? The frame times are shocking, no native resolution, and no quit button.

It seems like a great game, but surely some QA should have been done on the PC version.

derFeef

I wonder if the resolution thing is a "choice" for the PC version as well. If so.. They can leave it in there, but I also I want to have an option to use it or not.

What the heck are they doing at Microsoft?
This is the third game launching at their store (after Gears Ultimate and KI) with serious problems, while denying features and holding back patches for days (as seen with Rise of the Tomb Raider) on the basis of security and QA.
What a way to introduce their new platform.

Top Bottom