• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

GHG

Gold Member
It's been a near flawless experience for me ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I take it you like your frametimes spiky then.

I'd ask anyone who says "it's smooth" or "flawless" to provide further information in the form of framerate information and frametime information. Without it, you're not helping other people make a decision.

This port is a crying shame as the game looks great and I would have actually taken it upon myself to upgrade to Windows 10 for this game if they fixed the issues with UWP like we have long been promised. The port itself is a mess and UWP certainly isn't helping. But we should just be thankful and take what we get right guys?

Hmm after all this drama, finally got to play the game and its pretty smooth at 1080 all settings maxed to ultra. Of course it SHOULD be given the specs - 32GB RAM, 4790K with Titan X

Game looks good - its not as detailed or sharp as say The Division but I am happy with it

Dont notice any frame pacing issues

Unless I can buy Quantum Break, and Gears Ultimate on Steam without UWP how are we not forced to put up with this bullshit when we want to play these games?

You just don't buy the game? I made that clear. It's a simple concept to grasp. I don't plan on supporting the game through the store. Definitely not at $60 and in its current condition. They can fuck right off.

So how long until MS drops pc gaming again? Must be right around the corner.

"well people didn't buy the games anyway and no one wanted to use our brilliant windows 10 store"

"well people didn't buy the games anyway and no one wanted to use our brilliant windows 10 store"

If I had to guess, it will be soon. They'll say something like "we put high quality AAA games on the Windows platform and PC gamers didn't buy them."

hlhbk

You just don't buy the game? I made that clear. It's a simple concept to grasp. I don't plan on supporting the game through the store. Definitely not at $60 and in its current condition. They can fuck right off.

I 100% agree with that. That being said for some they would rather try to put up with this bullshit than not play the game they have been waiting years for. Hence why people are saying they're being forced to do so.

GHG

Gold Member
If I had to guess, it will be soon. They'll say something like "we put high quality AAA games on the Windows platform and PC gamers didn't buy it."

Basically. The wording will be something along the lines of "we were committed but the appetite from the PC community wasn't there".

Basically they will make it our fault, like they always have done.

derFeef

They won't quit out, what makes people say that? Wishful thinking? They need to improve a lot and fast, not quit.
Next big game is Forza and we will see how that goes.

Honestly this looks the brighter future right now. Yes pin it on me microsoft, "i only play f2p and mmo please i dont deserve wonderful Xbox AAAs".

hesido

This may be so that Xbox-only gamers don't feel cheated for having no true exclusives (it has to be shared with the PC!)

/kidding

This sounds like a forced port to push MS's new policies. (When exactly was the PC version announced?)

Pjsprojects

Meh. As long as I can get XBO performance without having to actually buy an XBO, I'm happy. It's more than I was expecting before the PC version was announced.

Same for me as long as they never intended a true PC Steam version from the start.
I'd rather at least be able to play X1 exclusives than not.

Same for me as long as they never intended a true PC Steam version from the start.
I'd rather at least be able to play X1 exclusives than not.

I don't really mean any disrespect, but you're definitely the kind of consumer MS is looking for.

"Hey, even if it doesn't live up to the standards that have been set on PC for years, I'll take it. It's better than never playing it at all or having to pay $300 for XBONE!"

ISee

They won't quit out, what makes people say that? Wishful thinking? They need to improve a lot and fast, not quit.
Next big game is Forza and we will see how that goes.

I don't think people really wish for Microsoft to quiet. Some gafers are just a bit pessimistic after all the crap we had/heared from Microsoft over the last ~ 10 years (or so). It's understandable, at least for me.

I'm happy with the idea of getting 'some' xbox exclusive games on PC. Microsoft finally supporting PC gamers would be awesome, but as you mentioned not in the current form...

wazoo

I will not buy anything BEFORE they really fix vsync/gsync issues.

This would at least help for framerate stability.

wazoo

I don't really mean any disrespect, but you're definitely the kind of consumer MS is looking for.

MS do not care about core PC gamers. They want the money from console and casuals owners. Since Windows mobile and X1 are flops, they think they can get them back on W10.

LewieP

i understand that top managers are clueless. They most surely do not know anything about video games except "it makes apple tons of money", but guys like Phil Spencer. Come on, how can they green light such mess ? They work to establish this UWP and fails on any criterion that takes 2 min to evaluate.

Phil Spencer is the public face of Xbox, but whenever it comes to decisions that are bigger than Xbox, and relate to Microsoft's wider corporate strategy, he just does what he is told by the suits upstairs.

At best his hands are tied on certain issues, at worst he's just a PR puppet.

Zemm

Don't forget the shit mouse and keyboard controls, that would be near the top of my list of unacceptable port features.

Kezen

Banned
Can people please not support MS' pc effort, they'll keep doing it if people buy them.

Don't worry. Sales for Gears UE and QB PC must be abysmal and rightly so considering how botched the PC ports are at launch.

They don't deserve much at all with those wretched PC works.

It's quite impressive just how rapidly and insistently Microsoft decided to prove my point for me.

It's almost like *gasp* they don't give a shit. I mean, sorry for my ignorance, outside of DX12, what good has MS done for PC gamers in the past 10 years? Or have actually come through on good faith?

harSon

Banned
I take it you like your frametimes spiky then.

I'd ask anyone who says "it's smooth" or "flawless" to provide further information in the form of framerate information and frametime information. Without it, you're not helping other people make a decision.

Had to install Visual Studio on this computer, but using PresentMon from GitHub - it seems like I'm fluctuating between 56 to 61 frames per second at 1080p / ultra settings.

Rymuth

Zc9DDBD.jpg
Saved.

GHG

Gold Member
It's almost like *gasp* they don't give a shit. I mean, sorry for my ignorance, outside of DX12, what good has MS done for PC gamers in the past 10 years?

It remains to be seen whether dx12 is actually anywhere near as good as they claim. So much for improved multi-GPU support and cross manufacturer multi-GPU support when none of their flagship first party titles support it. And wasn't it supposed to reduce CPU overhead as well?

Dx12 was being touted as a gamechanger by some people last year. The reality has been far from it so far.

Mohasus

It's almost like *gasp* they don't give a shit. I mean, sorry for my ignorance, outside of DX12, what good has MS done for PC gamers in the past 10 years? Or have actually come through on good faith?

Xbox 360 Controller/Xbox One Controller/Xinput
Windows 7/Windows 10
DirectX11
Ori and the Blind Forest
Age of Empires II HD

Bluth54

Microsoft once again showing us how much they care about PC gaming!

I feel really bad for Remedy, a decent port of Quantum Break put on Steam would probably sell pretty well.

It remains to be seen whether dx12 is actually anywhere near as good as they claim. So much for improved multi-GPU support and cross manufacturer multi-GPU support when none of their flagship first party titles support it. And wasn't it supposed to reduce CPU overhead as well?

Dx12 was being touted as a gamechanger by some people last year. The reality has been far from it so far.

True. I mean, haven't there been performance charts for DX12 for the last good while and it hasn't been that much of a jump?

SomTervo

"Hey, even if it doesn't live up to the standards that have been set on PC for years, I'll take it. It's better than never playing it at all or having to pay $300 for XBONE!"

What's wrong with that? Sounds perfectly reasonable.

If the game wasn't £50 and i wasnt getting some bug preventing me from buying via other Region's storefronts, I would have it in a heartbeat.

If I have to bump a few settings lower to get good performance, that's fine - and it will probably be comparable to/better than the XBO version.

Microsoft once again showing us how much they care about PC gaming!

I feel really bad for Remedy, a decent port of Quantum Break put on Steam would probably sell pretty well.

Well, Microsoft thought people woukd rush out to their smartphone appstore.
There's a reason why people are mostly on Steam.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Game is £50 in the UK, I don't even like spending £30 on a PC game lol.

Xbox 360 Controller/Xbox One Controller/Xinput
Windows 7/Windows 10
DirectX11
Ori and the Blind Forest
Age of Empires II HD

For the 360/One controller, it's kind of a given to have drivers for it, but both were primarily designed for a console, not a PC.

Windows 7/10 were inevitable regardless and if they tried to make it a closed garden, it would killed them, so basically, it kept the status quo there.

DX11 didn't do THAT much for gaming. Kind of like how DX12 is now or when the jump from 9 to 10 was. Not that much.

While published by MS, the developer was the one who made the decision to have it on PC/Xbone (and it's on Steam as well). So not so much MS as it is with the dev's decisions.

AoE II HD is basically an easy cash grab. It's a great HD remake, but it's not really big and doesn't make up for the lack of support elsewhere or making things better for PC gamers.

c0de

Neither is Vulkan. Both DX12 and Vulkan put a lot of responsibility to devs which *can* lead to better performance but that is not necessarily the case. In fact, devs have to get used to it until there will be any benefits.
It's just that many asked for it and MS gave devs the possibility to do it.

Poster#1

this really doesn't help to convince people they are being serious about PC gaming.

How can they fuck up this bad after GFWL?

Hawk269

MS do not care about core PC gamers. They want the money from console and casuals owners. Since Windows mobile and X1 are flops, they think they can get them back on W10.

How is the Xbox One a flop??? Because it is in 2nd place? Being 2nd does not mean it is a flop. The b.s. some people post is amazing.

GHG

Gold Member
How is the Xbox One a flop??? Because it is in 2nd place? Being 2nd does not mean it is a flop. The b.s. some people post is amazing.

When you take into account the amount of market share its competitor is eating up then yes, it is a flop.

Top Bottom