• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six, The Division & The Crew have over 10M registered users each, MAUs up 44%

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently Ubisoft's fiscal report is up already: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit...f call final_tcm99-273993_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

Ubisoft said:
Ubisoft’s sales performance in first-half 2016-17 reflects:
 The continued success of the multiplayer strategy aimed at increasing player
engagement:
- The Crew®, Tom Clancy’s The Division® and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege each
have over 10 million registered players.
- A further increase in the number of monthly active users (MAUs), up 43.9% year
on year.
- Higher recurring player investment, with a 132.1% year-on-year rise to
€95.4 million (included in digital revenues).

 Very sharp growth in digital revenues, up 102.6% to €202.6 million and representing
72.0% of total sales versus 48.3% in first-half 2015-16.

ubisoftgamesarumc.png

ubisoftr6nuur4.png

ubisoftdivisiontzu1l.png

ubisoftr62e5ut7.png

Rainbow six is an amazing game, hope it continues for years and years.
That aside, what's with all the reports from game companies? Is the start of November a date most use to report earnings and so?

Gator86

1.4 made me waste a few days with the Division. It's a fun game. Not sure it's enough to keep people engaged, but those who dropped it the second they hit 30 should give it another look.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
1.4 made me waste a few days with the Division. It's a fun game. Not sure it's enough to keep people engaged, but those who dropped it the second they hit 30 should give it another look.
Elsewhere in the presentation they note the actual content releases are targeted for Q3 and Q4 respectively, so I'm curious to see what those are.

To be fair, it's an accurate description of the game.

To be fair, I'm part of that statistic for both The Crew and Rainbow Six: Siege, and it's because I got both for free (The Crew as part of the 25th anniversary giveaways and Rainbow Six Starter Edition as a free gift for purchasing Battlefield 1). So bragging about increasing your userbase when you're literally giving your product away seems like it's not really telling the whole story.

That said, I really do like The Crew a lot, and I'd be playing it more but Battlefield 1 is sucking up my free time.

Jb

What the fuck does registered player mean? Is that a way to include people who downloaded the betas and other demos?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What the fuck does registered user mean? Is that a way to include people who downloaded the betas and other demos?

It varies by company, but usually it's anyone who owns the game or got it free post launch.

Sometimes it includes post launch free weekends, but usually not pre-release betas.

I don't know Ubisoft's definition though.

With The Crew, they recently just gave it away on Xbox One and PC, so that's probably a big factor there. The Division on the other hand just shipped a gigantic amount up front.

Gator86

Elsewhere in the presentation they note the actual content releases are targeted for Q3 and Q4 respectively, so I'm curious to see what those are.

To be fair, it's an accurate description of the game.

The content needs to come out much quicker if they want to sustain this resurgence. You get to the gear cap in a couple hours and I think people will start burning out quickly after just running HVTs repeatedly. I'm excited to see what the content looks like as well.

im_dany

Are they counting also players that didn't pay? I don't know about other platforms but The Crew was a GwG a few months ago and Rainbow Six Siege had two free weekends iirc. Still outstanding results, nobody would've bet anything on those three titles to have this kind of success, and the two I played deserved it.

I dropped The Division a few hours after getting to level 30 but plan on getting back once I have more time, because I really enjoyed the hours before the endgame. Picked up Siege for cheap a while ago and it's been one of my favourite games this gen, sadly there are far too many releasing this fall, had it released in like 2013/14 it would've been an hit.

Jb

It varies by company, but usually it's anyone who owns the game or got it free post launch.

Sometimes it includes post launch free weekends, but usually not pre-release betas.

I don't know Ubisoft's definition though.

With The Crew, they recently just gave it away on Xbox One and PC, so that's probably a big factor there. The Division on the other hand just shipped a gigantic amount up front.

I find it weird that investors and analysts are ok with publishers now communicating nebulous metrics like "registered users" instead of number of units shipped or sold-through. If you don't know exactly what's behind a given metric it's hard to evaluate its significance.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I find it weird that investors and analysts are ok with publishers now communicating nebulous metrics like "registered users" instead of number of units shipped or sold-through. If you don't know exactly what's behind a given metric it's hard to evaluate its significance.

Well, the metrics investors actually care about are cash flow, margin, digital percentage, revenue, and profit, which they all still provide, and are all going in a very positive direction.

One and done "I paid $X for the game and then stopped." consumers are actually not seen as super desirable anymore as well. You want users that keep coming back and spending for dependability and long term income. It matters way more if they're sticking around and spending on high margin digital purchases than if Ubisoft shipped an extra million units at $20 (of which, at retail, they'd see about $3-$4 in profit).

skynidas

Banned

yeah, investors don't give a fuck about how much a game actually sold if the games are bringing in the moolah
SMILEYMONEY-1.gif~c200

Jb

Well, the metrics investors actually care about are cash flow, margin, digital percentage, revenue, and profit, which they all still provide, and are all going in a very positive direction.

One and done "I paid $X for the game and then stopped." consumers are actually not seen as super desirable anymore as well. You want users that keep coming back and spending for dependability and long term income. It matters way more if they're sticking around and spending on high margin digital purchases than if Ubisoft shipped an extra million units at $20 (of which, at retail, they'd see about $3-$4 in profit).

Sure. In the grand scheme of things I get it. Although in this particular case I can't imagine microtransactions and DLC are huge parts of the revenue generated by those 3 games. R6 Siege has the weapon skins stuff but I don't think the Division and the Crew have a ton of them.

I'm happy for Siege and Division both. Haven't played The Crew but that's cool the game still seems to be alive and have a community

Honestly we are at a point now where how many units a game ships does't mean what it used to. Don't get me wrong everyone wants to sell more units but a game that sells 5 million copies but does really well with DLC sales and micro-transactions can drive more profit than a game that sells 7-8 million units for example. Pubs are giving less straight sales now days because it frankly doesn't paint the full picture on how a game is performing.

ViciousDS

Banned
do we have physical numbers with these percentages? For all we know user activity could have been pretty low from these 3 last year at the same time and its just a minor bump....but equaling 44%

Hell Siege and The division weren't even released at this time Last year....so of course YoY is up

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sure. In the grand scheme of things I get it. Although in this particular case I can't imagine microtransactions and DLC are huge parts of the revenue generated by those 3 games. R6 Siege has the weapon skins stuff but I don't think the Division and the Crew have a ton of them.

The Division had a 20% attach rate on its season pass.

I imagine once they're happy with the amount of returning users and their engagement, they'll continue to ramp up on things like microtransactions.

Something also drove up their microtransaction revenue by 130% this quarter, and I believe that the KetchApp acquisition hadn't finished in time.

do we have physical numbers with these percentages? For all we know user activity could have been pretty low from these 3 last year at the same time and its just a minor bump....but equaling 44%

Hell Siege and The division weren't even released at this time Last year....so of course YoY is up

Last we heard Siege was averaging 1.2 million monthly users. So yeah, its massive.

Siege deserves all the success and more. So much more

That game has been doing amazingly on word of mouth and hard work by the devs

I still want it to explode into top tier numbers, but maybe this will happen next sequel. Fingers crossed for year 2 to drive up the game's popularity even more

HonMirin

I've recently gone back to The Division after months of neglect (lack of interest really) and it's much more enjoyable now. Still nowhere near as addictive (read: gluttenous for punishment). They/Ubi seem to have a formula for their games and these result will only strengthen their resolve to stay on that path.

danowat

Banned
The crew is a great example of how gaming as a service can work as a full priced product.

The game wasn't very good when it came out, but they've really put a lot of work into it and it turned out to be really good.

Probably one of the most underrated games this gen.

I like Siege a lot, but i still wish they'd open it up a bit more and give us something closer to Ravenshield. The smaller scale of Siege is just a bit too simplistic for me. I enjoy the defender/attacker gameplay system, but i just miss the more open maps and gameplay style of Ravenshield.

Top Bottom