• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2014 |OT| Return of 18 hour Fasting, From Dawn till Dusk. Hard Mode Redux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my new job I have to do presentations to customers (typically over WebEx or GoToMeeting), which take about an hour plus. Usually my voice is so hoarse by the end because I need to talk a lot so I sip water during questions. Going to be difficult to adjust without sounding like that lady who smokes through her throat.

This is also my first year fasting after my celiac's disease diagnosis, let's see how I fare without bread. Probably going to need a lot of veg.

Schedule is going to be crazy though. I usually can't sleep after eating in the morning..so I'll be awake at 3:30..? I'll see if I can end up catching 1.5-3 hours after, but I doubt it.

What does all of that translate to desi food? :p I know no food will last more than 6 hours in your belly, but it's always good to know the better variety.

Uhh, maybe an egg/kheemah and parata/puri combo with a lot of some type of fruit juice ot water+fruit (maybe mango, that;s desi)

That's has proteins, carbs, water, sugar, and still classifies as somewhat desi

orochi91

In my new job I have to do presentations to customers (typically over WebEx or GoToMeeting), which take about an hour plus. Usually my voice is so hoarse by the end because I need to talk a lot so I sip water during questions. Going to be difficult to adjust without sounding like that lady who smokes through her throat.

This is also my first year fasting after my celiac's disease diagnosis, let's see how I fare without bread. Probably going to need a lot of veg.

Schedule is going to be crazy though. I usually can't sleep after eating in the morning..so I'll be awake at 3:30..? I'll see if I can end up catching 1.5-3 hours after, but I doubt it.

Oh man, best of luck. This might be a tough month coming up for you.

Lack of food and water I can manage, but sleep is way too crucial to mess up.

man I remember my mom would always make fruit salad and chaat masala for iftar. Now I just eat dates pretty much. Miss those days

I can't handle suhoor all month, I always try for the first few days and end up giving it up a week in because it makes me too tired. Does that happen to anyone else?

I can't handle suhoor all month, I always try for the first few days and end up giving it up a week in because it makes me too tired. Does that happen to anyone else?

Have you tried keeping an alarm
Sometimes I'm really really tired, and sort of sleepwalk my way through it, do Fajr, and go straight back to sleep
It's all about adjusting your sleep schedule. In the days before Ramadan starts, try waking up for Fajr earlier and earlier, so your body gradually adapts

Being at a state wrecked with depression and anxiety this year makes me dread Ramadhan.

That and a caffeineless day.

I don't skip days though, but yeah. I hope I'll be fine this year.

Funny to see certain users turning out to be muslim. I'm ready for it, though it's always the forst day that's going to be the hardest. I'm usually not that hungry during the days so i am going to try hitting the gym before iftar( anyone else familiar with workin out surinf this month?). My goals are certainly to eat less after iftar and turn down on the sugar as well.

Last year I went gym a few times before iftar but won't be doing that again.

I had no energy and couldn't really work out like I wanted to do.

I hardly sleep during Ramadan.

Sleep pattern goes all over the place.. Wish I could work half days..

Would make it so much easier.

We should all make hijrah to more tolerable locations lol.

Is there any fully ideal place, in terms of comfort? Lower (higher for southern hemisphere folks) you get the less crazy extremes for summer and winter you get, but it also means the more hot and humid it gets

You just fast wherever you are at the time. Shouldn't really bother you unless you mean to be at religious sites during Ramadhan

Tizoc

Heh I always write it as 'Ramadhan' with an H. Ramadan mubarak everyone, and just to clarify: Can you wet your lips or does that break your fast?

Is there any fully ideal place, in terms of comfort? Lower (higher for southern hemisphere folks) you get the less crazy extremes for summer and winter you get, but it also means the more hot and humid it gets

You just fast wherever you are at the time. Shouldn't really bother you unless you mean to be at religious sites during Ramadhan

There is no "ideal" place but there definitely are better places. The Arabian Gulf is a prime example. I have lived there and you do not really need to be out in the heat for long and the fasts are relatively shorter than Europe and North America in the summer. Air conditioning is plentiful and unlike Europe and North America, there is little foot travel required for anything.

But again, there is little to no need to change one's sleeping schedule in such areas because the salah times are more or less consistent, where you can easily fit in Isha and Taraweeh and get a good night's sleep before suhoor. You don't see large differences between winter and summer as you do in the more northern or southern parts of the world.

Heh I always write it as 'Ramadhan' with an H. Ramadan mubarak everyone, and just to clarify: Can you wet your lips or does that break your fast?

Your wudhu is not complete if your lips are not wet so it does not break your fast because we have to make wudhu for salahs. Taking a shower is also not an issue.

As long as water (or anything else) does not go down your throat, you're good.

Tizoc

Man I forget many of you are gonna have it rough. Over here
Fajr Prayers: Around 4 AM
Magrib: 7 PM

Tizoc

Fasting during July
in the Arabian Gulf

The Demon's Souls of Ramadan Months

Just do what we do bro: Sleep all day, chillax all night.
Doing the usual ramadan stuff of course.

Ah man I lookin' forwrad to these babies
Luqaimatis.jpg

Best when crunchy mmmmmmmmmmmmmm~

My mind is ready, my body hopefully is too. Its odd having Ramadan this early in the year, not that Im complaining. I welcome it for not only the religious reasons but also for the stalls. Every Ramadan in Brunei is like a new season of cheap but delicious break fast food.

Btw, anyone got any good type of foods to eat for sahur, to get through the day without feeling the impact of no energy? Or foods to avoid during sahur?

I would say that fasting in the middle east is easier just because society adapts to it. Sleeping during the day more, more activity during the night, etc. As opposed to life in the west where society proceeds as usual.

Have you tried keeping an alarm
Sometimes I'm really really tired, and sort of sleepwalk my way through it, do Fajr, and go straight back to sleep
It's all about adjusting your sleep schedule. In the days before Ramadan starts, try waking up for Fajr earlier and earlier, so your body gradually adapts

My problem is really that unless I sleepwalk downstairs and eat my food with my eyes closed I absolutely can't go back to sleep afterward. :( but maybe I'll give that a shot

My problem is really that unless I sleepwalk downstairs and eat my food with my eyes closed I absolutely can't go back to sleep afterward. :( but maybe I'll give that a shot
I have the same problem. Once I wake up, eat and pray, I have really difficult time going back to sleep. The wudu really destroys the sleep. When I was in college I used to eat at around 12 or 1 before going to bed and wake up normally around 8.

There is no easy solution. I use eye mask which helps sometimes especially as its getting brighter outside. But I guess it goes back to what I was talking about earlier on whether you are the master of your body or vice versa.

I would try getting up at suhur this time, but since I am crashing at a friend's (non muslim) place for a job over the summer, I don't want to mess up their sleep schedules since they work as well

LNBL

I'll be starting my first day of fasting in 40 minutes or so! Wish you all an amazing month and hapiness

vareon

You can drink coffee and tea right?

Wait so you're not supposed to drink even water?

No, no drink and food at all.

If you're trying this for non-religious reasons, try to start slowly. Fasting is a rather fun way to give flavour to your routine days.

Nutter

Ramadan months will continue to be tough (long days and hot) for the next 4-5 years. Then when its in early may it should be ok.

Aim_Ed

First Ramadan I'm spending on my own 5 hours away from home. 19 hour fasts without my mom's cooking is going to be tough, I'm hardly eating these days in the first place. :(

LNBL

20 minutes left for the iftar, i'm not even that hungry or thirsty even though i started fasting around 03:15 and its 22:15 now.

Ahmed360

Ramadan Kareem everyone.

My body is ready, unfortunately spiritually I'm not :L
Have not been very religious lately.

I know tons of people who gain weight during Ramadan. They get super excited during Iftar, and binge eat like crazy.

Well, I lost most of my weight in Ramadan, I used to be 120kgs, dropped to 89!
Of course that took like 4-5 months, but Ramadan was my motivation.

qazqaNii

Almost done for the first day! 10 more minutes, the times up here is insane we open "now" 11 pm and 'stop' eating at 3 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom