• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare might not be forced to make Kinect games but anything else gets canned

Porcile

I wonder how the Rare vets feel about Retro essentially getting carte blanche to work on a franchise which they created. While all their legacy I.P projects either get cancelled or are left to rot.

McLovin

Ms should just sell Rare back and its ips they dont do anything with them...
I wish Nintendo would. Rare has a bunch of experience with current-gen tech. They could make the Wii U sing. I would actually consider a Wii U if that ever happened. Could you imagine a Rare/Nintendo Goldeneye? A new real Banjo Kazooie?!

oVerde

Banned
A karting game, they had prototyped a karting game, whoa!

Make a nice and new Viva Piñata, add Kinect at will, no problems if the core is kept.

I wish Nintendo would. Rare has a bunch of experience with current-gen tech. They could make the Wii U sing. I would actually consider a Wii U if that ever happened. Could you imagine a Rare/Nintendo Goldeneye? A new real Banjo Kazooie?!

Nintendo wouldn't need Rare to do that. well they need the rights to the franchise but i doubt they would be any help actually making the games.

Jawmuncher

Some of those cancelled ideas didn't sound too bad.
Seriously MS let rare have a go at something non kinect related again.
If they're given the go I think they'll finally make something worth our while.
I know they want to get out of the negative image they currently have.

They knew it themselves...
iyOPpc7inlIn6.gif

That gif makes me want to cry.

It's the only game that would make me buy an X1.

I'd be there fucking Day 1 if it lived up to the first two games :(

ElRenoRaven

And now I'm sad again. Thanks OP. I think that ultimately what MS did to Rare is what pushed me over the edge in my dislike of them. So many great games killed. Staff treated like crap and driven away. The few that remained were then let go.

Let's not forget one of the largest crimes MS committed. Conker Live and Uncut with no censoring transforming into Conker: Live and Extra Censored....errrr....Conker Live and reloaded with even more censoring then Nintendo. Yes They censored it worse then Nintendo did the original. Why the hell do you do that?

gohanrage

Dang I absolutely Loved Rareware During the NES, SNES and N64 Days. I bought Starfox Adventures for Gamecube. The Main reason I purchased an XBOX 360 was because Microsoft had Bought Rare. One of the First games I bought at Launch was Kameo. I think Microsoft are liers saying Rare isn't forced to only make Kinect games. If they were allowed to make other games these prototypes wouldn't of been cancelled

I had one issue with Kameo. You were a Fairy who could Fly but you couldn't fly over top of water. You could fly unlimitedly over land but would fall in water if you tried to go over it flying.

Dang I absolutely Loved Rareware During the NES, SNES and N64 Days. I bought Starfox Adventures for Gamecube. The Main reason I purchased an XBOX 360 was because Microsoft had Bought Rare. One of the First games I bought at Launch was Kameo. I think Microsoft are liers saying Rare isn't forced to only make Kinect games. If they were allowed to make other games these prototypes wouldn't of been cancelled

I had one issue with Kameo. You were a Fairy who could Fly but you couldn't fly over top of water. You could fly unlimitedly over land but would fall in water if you tried to go over it flying.
Yeah, I got a Xbox and Xbox 360 for Rare too man.

Looking at that list of cancelled games, this was the type of diversity that Microsoft needed in their first party line up...

All thrown away for Kinect sports and irrelevant avatars.

Vaiim

They knew it themselves...
iyOPpc7inlIn6.gif

Lovin' it.

Such a sad fate Rare suffered, thanks Microsoft. I unfortunately have zero confidence they could make a great game on par with their previous hits any more. Too much damage has been done, plus they instantly went downhill without Nintendo's guiding hand - the expertise and support that Microsoft lacks.

Hindle

Banned
I think Rare were always going to suffer the decline that happened to them. In thier heyday they were the best developer in the world releasing classic game after classic game in a variety of genres. They were a product of thier times. I'm just glad I was around to see a studio like that really because it's something I doubt will happen again.

Rares new audience Probabily sees them as a great studio. It's great they managed to find a new fanbase I suppose.

Sydle

Lovin' it.

Such a sad fate Rare suffered, thanks Microsoft. I unfortunately have zero confidence they could make a great game on par with their previous hits any more. Too much damage has been done, plus they instantly went downhill without Nintendo's guiding hand - the expertise and support that Microsoft lacks.

I still feel Viva Pinata is as good as anything else they've ever released.

I am sure if he's bombarded with messages literally every day about games he'll have to react and do something - it's how i got him to respond about a Phantom dust 2 lol

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Where have all the main people responsible for all time greats like Donkey Kong Country, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Conker etc. etc. gone to?

It's always heartbreaking looking into cancelled projects and wondering what could have been. Rare as we enjoyed it is no longer around and will likely never be back. The good news is we'll always have a generation or two's worth of great games to fondly remember.

Gartooth

Yeah, I got a Xbox and Xbox 360 for Rare too man.

Guess I'll join the party too, the promise of Rare developed games is what compelled me to pick up a 360 primarily for a new Banjo-Kazooie. Of the Rare games on 360 I've enjoyed every single one with the exception of Perfect Dark Zero which I did not play.

Darksol

Where have all the main people responsible for all time greats like Donkey Kong Country, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Conker etc. etc. gone to?

Quit or gone elsewhere for the most part. There was a lot of fallout when MS bought Rare and started stepping on their toes.

Hubble

I cried when reading this... So sad to see a studio's creativity shunned and it not allowed to express its freedom. It is only this where you will get the best out of a studio and its happiness.

Now that Kinect Sports Rivals has a Giant Bomb Quick Look (some of their funniest content is for Kinect games), I was reminded of this thread.

Is there a single person at Rare that has been there since the old times and has witnessed this depressing set of events since Kinect?

Peff

Now that Kinect Sports Rivals has a Giant Bomb Quick Look (some of their funniest content is for Kinect games), I was reminded of this thread.

Is there a single person at Rare that has been there since the old times and has witnessed this depressing set of events since Kinect?

Leigh Loveday still works there, I think. And by work I mean manage the Twitter account. There are a bunch of people from the Banjo team and others around too, but probably not that many.

Woffls

Banjo-Karting sounded rad. Building a kart racer around the vehicle construction in N&B is a great idea. It would expand the tactics of kart racing in a meaningful and user-friendly way.

Biker19

Banned
Some of those seemed really interesting. More exclusive IPs Microsoft could've used in their arsenal.

I agree, especially towards the E3 2010 years & up for Xbox 360, but no, they want to focus on Kinect, Halo, Forza, & Gears throughout the past 4 years before Xbox One came about.

Gregg Mayles - joined 1989
Steve Mayles - joined 1992
Louise Ridgeway - joined 1999
Gavin Price - joined 1999
Nick Burton - joined 1998
Paul Cunningham - joined 1995
Peter Hentze - joined 2000
Dave Rose - joined 1997

Seen some people from 2004/05/06 as well.

Not many (I was going round in circles and searching further I considered a waste of time if I'm honest) but probably more than people would have you believe.

Ive seen a couple of others that were at Rare in the late 90s but are elsewhere within MS too

Fun fact: Head of Lift London is Lee Schuneman who was a game director at Rare from 1996 and did a lot of work on some of their older stuff (notably Diddy Kong Racing)

Leigh Loveday still works there, I think. And by work I mean manage the Twitter account. There are a bunch of people from the Banjo team and others around too, but probably not that many.

Gregg Mayles - joined 1989
Steve Mayles - joined 1992
Louise Ridgeway - joined 1999
Gavin Price - joined 1999
Nick Burton - joined 1998
Paul Cunningham - joined 1995
Peter Hentze - joined 2000
Dave Rose - joined 1997

Seen some people from 2004/05/06 as well.

Not many (I was going round in circles and searching further I considered a waste of time if I'm honest) but probably more than people would have you believe.

Ive seen a couple of others that were at Rare in the late 90s but are elsewhere within MS too

Fun fact: Head of Lift London is Lee Schuneman who was a game director at Rare from 1996 and did a lot of work on some of their older stuff (notably Diddy Kong Racing)

Thanks for finding this out. I wonder if any of them have spoken out about in some interview that those kind of games won't ever happen, and they're stuck in this place until Kinect games stop selling.

Thanks for finding this out. I wonder if any of them have spoken out about in some interview that those kind of games won't ever happen, and they're stuck in this place until Kinect games stop selling.

Well I assume they're not locked in chains, if they wanted to leave as others have done they would have. Perhaps they still like it there?

jeff really didnt know how to play either sport. like, he wasnt even trying. haha.
They might have had time to practice if it wasn't for Rare's penchant for toddler levels of handholding, slow unskippable dialogue, cut-scenes, and the Xbox's crazy long load times. The coach being an ass was just the icing on the cake.

Everything about that video was painful to watch. Except maybe Vinny's dancing.

And whats with not being able to use your own Kinect avatar for the quick play? That's Fable 3 levels of WTF-ery.

EBE

And Vinny aces a perfect game as soon he gets a go on the tennis!

The condescending coach reminded me of the Rider, Meet Horse...Horse, Meet Rider dude.

haha. i hadnt seen that one. "let me reintroduce you two.." absolutely terrible.

They might have had time to practice if it wasn't for Rare's penchant for toddler levels of handholding, slow unskippable dialogue, cut-scenes, and the Xbox's crazy long load times. The coach being an ass was just the icing on the cake.

Everything about that video was painful to watch. Except maybe Vinny's dancing.

i kind of feel like the handholding is necessary though. they didnt play the tutorials, missed out on all the nuance of stuff like bowling and had a terrible first experience with it. it was fun to watch though

anyway, i dont feel like Rares kinect output is a "depressing set of events"
i think theyve been really creative and resourceful with the tech - id LOVE for their body scanning tech to be used in something like a new Perfect Dark (multiplayer)

i do hope MS are genuine when they say theyll be letting Rare off the leash to pursue other things. its about time

Top Bottom