• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart peaks at less than 9k concurrent players on Steam, third worst PC launch for PlayStation game

Helldivers 2 will release the same day on PS5 and PC. Will be interesting to see how that does but I expect the numbers to be low on both.

amigastar

It really is a shame that those sony ports don't have more players. I'm personally not that interested into them but it would be nice if they would be successful on PC.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I guess their other option is to go back to not releasing any of their games on PC, at all.
I mean yeah they could do that if they had an idiot running the company. A more sensible option is if they went day and date and recieve the most sales from both platforms due to hype carrying both releases as opposed to less sales on PC 2 years later due to the hype having died down.

Even then, low PC launch sales don't mean shit. on PC it's all about the legs.

Sentenza

Numbers don't lie. If PC players want more games on PC they need to support the games that are coming to PC first.
I mean, they do.
There are "AA" games that outsold Sony ports. Sometimes even by significant margin.
Small indies as well.

What most PC players aren't particularly interesting in buying, on the other hand, is probably YEARS-OLD ports at full price.
It may work for Bloodborne, but Sony is being obtuse about that for some reason.

Last edited:

Ginzeen

Banned
This game was never going to sell crazy well. Its ratchet and clank, its a platformer game, it cost 60 dollars even though its like a 2 years old game etc.

It's an old game selling for a new game price. I have a backlog of old games on my PC already, I'll play those instead.

Also, I know I'll find this game for $20 in a year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's what I've said from the beginning. Launching these two years late...they gotta be cheaper Sony. Like 35 quid or 39.99 at a push.

Either that or launch day one, or at least within 6 months.

ssringo

What most PC players aren't particularly interesting in buying, on the other hand, is probably YEARS-OLD ports at full price.
Bingo. I have no problem with a years late port but, aside from very select games, I'm not paying a premium. I'll just keep waiting or simply forget about it and spend my money on something else.

6 months? Yeah, I'd still buy at full price. Once it gets to a year+ they need to start knocking off a few dollars or adding extra stuff at no cost. And "it costs time/money to port" ain't swaying me.

//DEVIL//

- As usuall, Sony wants to charge a full price on PC for their 2 to 3 years old games.

- They do not release the games that people want, but games didn't sell well in their system and want to sell it to PC gamers. Outside from the 6 years old GOW and spider man( which they sold very well ).

They deserve it. Hope they lost money as in devs costs is more than sales profit.

Learn how NOT to be arrogant and give the gamers want they want. They are the people that put food on your table you retarded mfers. They want GOW 2, Bloodborne, Demon souls remake,

Not a shit port like your face of the last of us and have the nerve to call it a remake or multiplatformer than is decent at best

Someone at Sony think PC gamers are blinded Sony fanboys that buy anything Sony without using their brain. Must be that idiot Jimbo

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Sony sitting on potential goldmines of Demons' Souls and Bloodborne but releases this.

It's not a bad game by any means, but does it sell a lot even on PlayStation? Especially by Sony first party standards? It's an old short single player game with a small fan base. I don't think these numbers are particularly bad all things considered.

Ozriel

M$FT
These 100 dollar 12-hour linear games Sony fans love are just not PC gamer's cup of tea

Just look at the Most Played Steam games

Its all Live Service games

Which is why I find it funny every time someone hates on Jim Ryan for trying to branch out Sony's horribly repetitive First Party output

Why would you even expect single player games to linger on a ‘Most played’ chart?

Sales or revenue should be the only metric you should use for those.

hlm666

I can bet my virginity that DeS isn't going to make much better numbers than this.
huh? the shockingly bad port of dark souls did better than this. Demon Souls would do well on pc. I havn't bought any of sony's pc ports yet but I would buy demon souls day 1 even at the stupid full prices release. Not sure either of us will ever be proven right or wrong though because they seem to not want to port it ever, although the kinda some what souls like remnant 2 is destroying r&c on pc sales wise.

Old-games-nu-prices won't sit well with any customers. Unless they have a simultaneous release. They clearly don't understand how big the PC market is for games catalog.

Raonak

Banned
I think sony have gotta start wondering whether it's even worth releasing PC games at this point.
I think most of the people who are interested in these games already have a playstation console.

Maybe it's better to just stick with multiplayer and F2P games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
- As usuall, Sony wants to charge a full price on PC for their 2 to 3 years old games.

- They do not release the games that people want, but games didn't sell well in their system and want to sell it to PC gamers. Outside from the 6 years old GOW and spider man( which they sold very well ).

They deserve it. Hope they lost money as in devs costs is more than sales profit.

Learn how NOT to be arrogant and give the gamers want they want. They are the people that put food on your table you retarded mfers. They want GOW 2, Bloodborne, Demon soils remake,

Not a shit port like your face of the last of us and have the nerve to call it a remake or multiplatformer than is decent at best

Someone at Sony think PC gamers are blinded Sony fanboys that buy anything Sony without using their brain. Must be that idiot Jimbo
Bb is not a big seller. I believe it did 2 million and then bottomed out. I remember buying it for $6.99 just a couple of years after launch on psn. The order was $4.99 so that should tell you that it was not a non seller despite the internet hype.

Demon souls took a full year to sell 1.3 million on ps5 to 20 million ps5 buyers. Ratchet sold 1 million in just a month. Very poor attach ratio for both but ratchet sold faster. Nixxes was already doing the Spider-Man ports and likely found it easier to port ratchet than start from scratch on another engine. Especially since they are set to work on spiderman 2 next.

People don’t understand that ds and bb were not huge sellers on ps consoles. Bb is over 8 years old and ds didn’t exactly light the charts on fire. I think sackboy over ds is a weird choice but returnal, miles, tlou, Horizon, gow and Spider-Man all make perfect sense to me. Returnal is a pc genre game that should’ve been a success but Sony didn’t realize that pc gamers don’t spend $60 on these rogue likes. Tlou was done by nd internally because they were making factions which was supposed to be a day one game on PC. And nixxes is the best porting studio porting their best selling franchise. Ratchet was a mistake and they should’ve moved on to porting Spider-Man 2 immediately last year but they probably didn’t want to risk a backlash if they got it out Day one.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I think sony have gotta start wondering whether it's even worth releasing PC games at this point.
I think most of the people who are interested in these games already have a playstation console.

Maybe it's better to just stick with multiplayer and F2P games.
Two years late and full price for a questionable port is Sony's MO at this point, but their shareholders will be fine with these kinds of failures as long as PS5 keeps printing money. However, if Microsoft ever gets its shit together and proves Xbox can make bank while launching on console and PC together, Sony's shareholders will start to question why their PC titles are failing.

Last edited:

Fredrik

However, if Microsoft ever gets its shit together and proves Xbox can make bank while launching on console and PC together, Sony's shareholders will start to question why their PC titles are failing.
The Steam concurrent user numbers aren’t that bad for MS games with simultaneous PC and Xbox release, besides Redfall, and that’s with Gamepass eating on game sales and Windows Store version taking away some Steam sales too. Halo is like 250k and Horizon 5 80k.

I think GT7 would’ve sold like crazy with a day 1 PC release, especially if they had the VR version there too.
But we’ll never know.

Sony should get some hints on how popularity are affected with the multiplayer focused games they have planned that could come to PC same day.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Demon soils remake
Kind Of Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

BWJinxing

If they only put out the horizon Forbidden West on PC, I'd buy that full price.

I love ratchet and clank, but I've always brought it on discount.

Astray

Gold Member
How do you know that?
Sony basically just made back the majority of the costs of porting (which are far less than the costs of developing the game). The game will have a long tail via periodic sales and key sites.

Keep in mind that they own Nixxes now, which likely means that they are paying out far less than they would have if they outsourced the project.

Sony's answer "Oh yeah? We still aren't going to release Demon's Souls and Bloodborne".
Not going to make a difference. Only day 1 releases will help but that is not something Sony can do. These type of receptions will only show them it is not worth it to port them to the PC.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... Sony should get some hints on how popularity are affected with the multiplayer focused games they have planned that could come to PC same day...
I believe their GaaS titles are all coming to PC day one. That shows Sony is fully capable and willing to release their titles multi-platform, like Microsoft, but they're trying to milk PlayStation gamers for every dollar, and then milk PC gamers. When push comes to shove, Sony knows PS5 alone can't guarantee their GaaS titles are successful, they need the PC players to help hit critical mass - hence their GaaS titles being treated differently.

Top Bottom