• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

hawk2025

What the...

2015-02-1823_08_53-1tqskmv.png

Oh wow, that's scathing. :O

Following the steak analogy?

Looks like fast food though lol

Hors D'Oeuvres are appetizers.
I would expect a very negative review.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is that escargot on the first head? Not exactly fast food. "Hors d'oeuvres" (stupid pun on "order" I guess) means "appetizer". So the analogy isn't to fast food but, well, small bites that leaves you wanting for more I guess.
What the...

2015-02-1823_08_53-1tqskmv.png
Am I weird to be annoyed that they misspelled "hors d'oeuvres"?

Tangeroo

It's not really a defense, but I like those things. The Wolf Among Us and Wolfenstien are a couple of my favorite games from the last 12 months.

Don't get me wrong. I love Wolf Among Us but it cost me $25 and offered a lot of narrative branches which allowed for repeat playthoughs.

I also really enjoyed Wolfenstein and despite being a linear game, the gameplay presented a lot of wide open environments which allowed for multiple tactics for engaging/dispatching enemies. Wolfenstein also has a greater variety of weapons and enemies/enemy behaviors than The Order.

w00zey

I bring up these points because I am on the fence on whether or not I should get The Order and these are valid questions that need to be answered before I make my decision. Right now, I'm leaning towards not buying the game until it hits the $30 mark and people who are defending the game have no answers to these criticisms.

You want people to give you a magical reason to think contrary to what you do. If you don't think QTEs, not a lot of enemies, linear gameplay, etc is your thing then what can anyone say that would be an answer? Maybe because some people don't find those criticism to hinder their game experience as much as you.

Tangeroo

You want people to give you a magical reason to think contrary to what you do. If you don't think QTEs, not a lot of enemies, linear gameplay, etc is your thing then what can anyone say that would be an answer? Maybe because some people don't find those criticism to hinder their game experience as much as you.

I'm looking for a reason to buy the game despite the shortcomings. Is there something I don't know about the game that other people do that makes it overcome these limitations? Is it really that hard for people to explain why it's worth the $60 to them in a way that we can relate to?

I know this might be hard for some people to believe, but people can change their minds about things. I can be convinced if there's a compelling argument.

w00zey

I'm looking for a reason to buy the game despite the shortcomings. Is there something I don't know about the game that other people do that makes it overcome these limitations? Is it really that hard for people to explain why it's worth the $60 to them in a way that we can relate to?

People are hoping that the complete package warrants a great experience...regardless of said short comings. I'd also venture to guess that most people that are excited for it don't think the negatives you perceive as large as being that big a deal. So it isn't exactly apples to apples.

Oh and if you are like me you bought it for 50 and will sell it for at least 35 so in the end it certainly will b worth 15 dollars to play through (*fingers crossed at least*)

So, I'm apart of the crowd that works 8 to 9 hours a day, has a wife, and in the future a kid. I used to love games that was super long and would take me a while to beat but that was when I was able to play video game for 10 to 12 hours a day. If a game is under 10 hours and it entertains me then I'm okay with it. Sadly, I'm almost at the point where if a game is 40 plus hours, I almost never get to finish. I understand RAD is coming out left and right to defend their game, a lot of blood sweat and tears went into their game and something all of them worked on is getting completely trashed before the majority of the public is getting to play it. I know that would break my heart.

I find this game an oddity, it's weird that console exclusives get put under a microscope and the amount of emotion that gets dedicated to it from both sides. I'll be purchasing the game on Friday because the wife is excited to watch me play it (she likes the setting) and I'm genuinely interested in the game and have a feeling I will enjoy it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else find it crazy what the gaming culture has become the bigger the industry gets? When I was a teenager playing Final Fantasy vi I would have never thought it would've been anything more than a niche nerdy thing that had a small community in most towns or schools.

Tainted

Hors D'Oeuvres are appetizers.
I would expect a very negative review.

Not necessarily...for it to be a 'very' negative review, it would have to fail in every aspect (ie gfx, sound, story, gameplay). If you want to read into their 'appetizer' analogy....then they loved certain aspects of it, but they just wanted more.

I'm predicting somewhere in the 70-80 range

Ishan

ironically appetizers often cost as much as the main course and fuck yeah I still want to buy them. They're awesome. But then again I wouldnt want just the appetizer. I want both.

Think the analogy works well from what ive seen of the order :p

Woo-Fu

Banned
Would you pay full price for them :D

Perhaps that should be rephrased as, "Would you pay entree prices for them?" That said, when you're charged entree prices for appetizers you usually get much larger portions.

It would seem in the case of this game you're getting charged entree prices and not getting an entree-sized portion.

The easy solution for everybody is to not buy the game until the pricing is worth your while---which is the easy solution for every game, regardless of amount of content.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
The Game Informer guys are pretty great, but whatever.

Well, I should have clarified. I really didn't think that image was a big deal; actually, it's pretty funny. I was speaking more generally that nothing should surprise people when it comes to video game journalism.

Stimpack

Well, I should have clarified. I really didn't think that image was a big deal; actually, it's pretty funny. I was speaking more generally that nothing should surprise people when it comes to video game journalism.

Ah, I see what you mean. I've honestly never followed "games journalism" coverage, but I know what a hot topic it's become. I've learned in the past couple of years that nothing at all surprises me when it comes to video games. Whether it be from creators, journalists, or consumers themselves. Everyone seems insane at this point.

I feel bad for RAD, this video already has over 160,000 views and is the top comment on the podcast beyond page on IGN. It's hilarious but it's really damaging the game.

Have to admit i got a laugh from that video
i hope its not true though

i think if this game was not a ps4 exclusive it would not get half the crap thats been thrown at it

Sometimes appetizers are my favourite part of a meal.

It's one thing to have appetizers before a meal but it's something else entirely when you have to make do with just appetizers..

i think if this game was not a ps4 exclusive it would not get half the crap thats been thrown at it

Nothing gets a free pass these days, look at what happened to games like Watchdogs and Assasin's Creed for example. If anything, exclusivity gave it a shield and some guaranteed sales it would have missed otherwise (the shill comments from the parody video are a good enough explanation of this.)

Scrulox

Neo Member

Really? Cause I don't see nearly the same level of crap thrown at The Last of Us and Bloodborne. You could argue that The Last of Us is a cinematic game too, and the average time to beat it is 15 hours. You could beat The Order in half that time which has a worse story and inferior gameplay with less variety than The Last of Us. On top of that, The Order also has no content at all outside of its campaign.

Just because you call it a cinematic experience doesn't mean it's ok to sell pretty much one third of a game both in terms of quality and quantity at a full game's price. A lot of people have watched pretty the entire game on youtube, and their opinions honestly reflect that they wanna discourage a game like this being made again.

And I honestly think that if the game isn't a PS exclusive and isn't heavily promoted as the next big thing, nobody would defend its obvious flaws. Remember Ryse?

The last of us was made by what many consider to be the gods of programmers.....the game was also pretty good and had multiplayer

Bloodbourne im not going to get into as my opinions of the game might start a flame war
but that game is designed as an rpg so a longer amount of content is expected

The issue many people may have with the order is they are paying 60 bucks for a game you could finish in a matter of hours....me personally i dont care as i have it preordered
And did not have to pay for it.....if i was paying for it and it clocked in a six hours long id be pretty pissed as i have not had much to enjoy this last 12 months in terms of ps4 exclusives and if this ends up being a trend then..well.......

Phreak47

Think I'm going to try to score this from a Redbox since it looks like I'll need it about 2 nights tops. Contributing to this thought are a couple of shitstains in the impressions thread that posted spoilers and now I know something about the ending, god dammit.

Oh and I love that fucking video.

And evidently, there's a Cockney Spanish word for plebs. Who woulda guessed.

Nah, Ryse got murdered, Titanfall as well and that game definitely didn't deserve it. You can make an argument that Ryse and The Order deserve the grief

I don't know if one of you already found this, and as i can't make a new thread i will just leave it here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...r-la-duree-de-vie-des-jeux_videogames?start=2

Back in 2010, Ru Weerasuriya said in an interview: "I want editor to let us make games of 2 hours long, 2 or 3 hours - outstanding stories that are very short. The many we are thinking this way, the better - we will go to our editors and say: "no listen, we don't want that big budget for ten or twelve hours long, give us a smallest budget, give us a budget but let us do shorter games" - stuff that people can buy for less money, but will consider as great - i paid this,but this was a wonderful story -. And i believe this will happen soon, we are putting pressure and i hope it will happen."

Top Bottom