• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn, Tequila Works and Frozenbyte Sign up to Gamestop's Publishing Program

Nudull

Banned
I find Gamestop trying to gain a foothold in sales *and* publishing a little troubling. It's not like Valve, where just one platform is involved.

I'm really not sure this is a smart move. Making games exclusive to your store just means some people buy it digitally instead. Every digital sale is a step closer to the all digital future.

Sinking themselves perhaps?

If they are publisher then they will certainly push physical copies. But won't abandon digital sales as it makes more cash. It will be interesting to see how they perform as publisher.

DrArchon

I'm really not sure this is a smart move. Making games exclusive to your store just means some people buy it digitally instead. Every digital sale is a step closer to the all digital future.

They still make money off of digital sales, just less money. They're publishing all versions after all.

I for one welcome our Gamestop publishing overlords. Anything to get more physical versions of smaller games that would've been digital only before (except for limited run special edition things).

Given how much of the market they have - particularly in NA I don't really see that as such a huge problem.

I'm sure they'll get partners in regions outside of where they operate too

tebunker

Banned
You would think, too, that Gamestop would enter in that limited physical release market too. Those releases seem to be working and a lot of people like the idea of having a previously digital only game in a physical format.

They could do well going with that approach especially if they limit the print runs, don't over saturate the market, and offer limited edition stuff or collectors edition stuff. It would go well with their think geek business that sells geeky tat.

There is definitely still a market for physical games and there may always be, but I think the returns and expectations need to be managed.

Hahs

No - it's a good move. It's not hurting anything to have another pusher of videogames from the perspective of a developer.

GS is essentially doing that anyway already (slanging videogames). They're main go-to is marketing. For devs (hungry devs) its a god-send...just another option to get our games out there...could be lucrative for both GS and devs.

Top Bottom