• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real vs Fake Neo Geo AES carts...or how to NOT get ripped off

VGEsoterica

I'd assume it's pandemic related but lately I've noticed a ton more Neo Geo AES games for sale. Kind of makes sense (sadly) as I'd assume collectors who are hurting financially due to the pandemic and job losses need money coming in. Sucks big time this is the case but sadly it's also the reality.

Which means the scammers and bootleggers trying to pass fakes off as real games for thousands of dollars know about it too! A casual browse of eBay last week and I spotted two clearly fake AES games for sale well in excess of $1000 (one for $1500, and one for $4500). Which means some poor buyer could have dropped almost 5K on a bootleg made with maybe $100 worth of parts (I reported the items to eBay, but still)

I had to reorganize part of my collection anyway, so I made a video on the topic to help others avoid buying bootleg games passed off as the real thing. But a few things not mentioned, as you can't photograph them are ; the smell! If you have AES games, you know they have a certain distinctive smell. Like old cigarette smoke mixed with hot vinyl car seats from the 80's and a weird plastic chemical smell. Sounds gross but they all smell the same...and bootlegs / conversions made with repro parts DONT smell like this! Also if it's from France (sorry to any French Gaf'ers, but it's true) the likelihood of a fake goes up as it seems to be a hotbed of conversions and bootlegs.

Unfortunately the reality is on a good day AES fakes are out there! And now with tons of retro games hitting the market, the odds of fakes goes up with it! Wish it wasn't the case but the shitheels looking to score a quick payday are out there!

Hope everyone reading this is safe, healthy, and not experiencing anything that causes them to have to sell their collections!

But if anyone has any more questions leave them in the comments. I particularly hate scammers / bootleggers in the AES scene, as it's both ruining the hobby and a lot of their conversions destroy existing games, which also sucks!

I love the Neo Geo, wish I had the dough to afford one. I was pretty happy with the Mini, as a cheapo solution, I just wish it had a few more games and better variety.

Here's a random Neo question I'll leave here. Are all Neo Geo games made by SNK, were there any third party Neo devs?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I know collectors are going to collect, but if I had real NeoGeo hardware, I would just get the NeoSD and be done with it. Even 20 years ago it seemed like a minefield and I can't even imagine what it is like now.

Last edited:

kingbean

As much as I love snk I couldn't afford to collect for the neo geo. It's just too damn pricey.

Good info though. I get you on the smell lol. But I figured the mvs carts would smell worse being in arcades and all before the smoking ban.

VGEsoterica

I love the Neo Geo, wish I had the dough to afford one. I was pretty happy with the Mini, as a cheapo solution, I just wish it had a few more games and better variety.

Here's a random Neo question I'll leave here. Are all Neo Geo games made by SNK, were there any third party Neo devs?

Neo Geo def had third party devs. Most were made by SNK but not all

kingbean

Metal Slug 1, Waku Waku 7, Magician Lord, Neo Turf Masters, Shock Troopers, and WindJammers are some of my favorite 3rd party games on the Neo Geo.

I burned my old AES using a genesis font.

I sold the carcass for 10$ and my room smelled like plastic barbecue for 5 days.

Sorry, back to the thread, yes, i was fooled once buying a original (but not) AES game.

I wish they'd release a proper mini, with some more games and a controller that doesn't suck.
I paid 50 for mine on Amazon, but would gladly pay a 100 for another revision that added what I'm looking for. Drop the screen too, just make it a mini box like the others.

Bankai

Emulation has been so great for Neogeo for so long, that I never really considered buying the hardware (which was WAY to expensive back when the console was still alive AND still way to expensive now).

McCheese

I have an almost full AES set (sans 2 titles) - I think the last one I picked up was almost 8-9 years ago now. To be honest, I had never considered fakes, is it a fairly recent thing or is it worth opening them up if they are > 8 years old?

I honestly expected the prices to come down a bit now those cycle-accurate FPGA cores exist, but I guess folks who just wanted to play the games went the MVS route.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

What was the Aero Fighters 3 drama?

I can’t even remember the whole story, but potentially someone paid 30K for a forgery. I don’t know if it was ever decided if it was real, but I believe the consensus was it wasn’t legit. So someone may have gotten taken for thirty thousand dollars.

I mean the game I mentioned in the video is 3K if real,and it’s next to a game that goes for 1.5-2K (MotW, which is a legit cart) but Neo collecting legit can go into the tens of thousands for a single game

diffusionx

Gold Member
I can’t even remember the whole story, but potentially someone paid 30K for a forgery. I don’t know if it was ever decided if it was real, but I believe the consensus was it wasn’t legit. So someone may have gotten taken for thirty thousand dollars.

I mean the game I mentioned in the video is 3K if real,and it’s next to a game that goes for 1.5-2K (MotW, which is a legit cart) but Neo collecting legit can go into the tens of thousands for a single game

it makes me wish I invested in Metal Slug AES back when it was only $1500 or so. It’s 10 times that now.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

I have an almost full AES set (sans 2 titles) - I think the last one I picked up was almost 8-9 years ago now. To be honest, I had never considered fakes, is it a fairly recent thing or is it worth opening them up if they are > 8 years old?

I honestly expected the prices to come down a bit now those cycle-accurate FPGA cores exist, but I guess folks who just wanted to play the games went the MVS route.

8-9 years ago makes you safer but you never know. Mostly back then it was just the exotic games that were getting the boot treatment

just mail them all to me and I’ll check them. I’ll mail them back I swear ;)

Last edited:

manzo

Thanks for making these threads. Insanely interesting.

i only have MVS games to play on my supergun, decided to stay the fuck away from AES.

VGEsoterica

Thanks for making these threads. Insanely interesting.

i only have MVS games to play on my supergun, decided to stay the fuck away from AES.

thanks. I enjoy making them and talking about rare and obscure stuff. In this instance I also don’t want people to get ripped off lol

yeah AES is terrible these days. Prices are insane. I rarely add anything to my collection outside of cheap common games I haven’t gotten yet

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
lol the common games aren’t that bad. You can still get a console for a decent price and some of the best games are cheap. Sam Sho 2 is still a bargain
I went the NGCD way.

(And a MiSTer+ self modded neogeo to usb thingy)

ALL HAIL THE DANCING MONKEY.

Last edited:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
AES collecting is crazy, I've paid a LOT for late era titles.

The cheaper, legit route is to get a MVS-AES converter. MVS carts are waaaaaaaaay cheaper. Unless you start collecting full kits. I've paid dumb amounts for full kits. Granted MVS bootlegging is fucking rampant too.

Is Neo Geo the most expensive system to collect for? I feel like every single game is like $200-$300 and if we are talking about ENG versions...$1000s?

Last edited:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
It's pretty fucking pricey.

A combination of rarity, notoriety and quality you don't really see anywhere else.

Dazrael

I’ve got an AES but just stuck with a Neo SD Pro. It’d be great to have a genuine cart collection but the expense of the more desirable titles is prohibitive. The only genuine cart I have is Gunlord and I‘ve got Kraut Buster on preorder. As for everything else? Flashcarts all the way.

VGEsoterica

Is Neo Geo the most expensive system to collect for? I feel like every single game is like $200-$300 and if we are talking about ENG versions...$1000s?

That’s a good question. On an “average price per game” I bet it is. Some of the rarest games go for tens of thousands too, but they do the same on other consoles as well like NES / SNES.

but you can still get some awesome games on the cheap like Sam Sho 2 and 2. So some of those games can be cheaper than common but great games on other platforms on occasion

If it’s not the most expensive though it’s probably second!

Trimesh

Banned
I used to have an AES and a bunch of carts, but the prices got so absurd and out of sync with the entertainment value of the games that I sold them all. Well, nearly all - I still have a copy of 「あしたのジョー伝説 」 (AKA "Legend of suckass Joe") somewhere, because it's a game so bad that I literally couldn't even give it away.

VGEsoterica

I used to have an AES and a bunch of carts, but the prices got so absurd and out of sync with the entertainment value of the games that I sold them all. Well, nearly all - I still have a copy of 「あしたのジョー伝説 」 (AKA "Legend of suckass Joe") somewhere, because it's a game so bad that I literally couldn't even give it away.

Lolol it’s so bad it’s good

Bar81

Unless you're planning on being a counterfeiting expert AES is the dumbest shit ever. I'm saying that as someone who decided to rebuild a very small collection 5-10 years ago and had to buy a jeweler's loupe and practically undertake forensic analysis to confirm authenticity.

These days the counterfeiting is likely so good no one could tell the difference. If you just have to collect something, move on to something that doesn't require you to regularly deal with scumbags, particularly in the counterfeiting axis of evil - France, Spain and Italy.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Unless you're planning on being a counterfeiting expert AES is the dumbest shit ever. I'm saying that as someone who decided to rebuild a very small collection 5-10 years ago and had to buy a jeweler's loupe and practically undertake forensic analysis to confirm authenticity.

These days the counterfeiting is likely so good no one could tell the difference. If you just have to collect something, move on to something that doesn't require you to regularly deal with scumbags, particularly in the counterfeiting axis of evil - France, Spain and Italy.

it really does get that deep. I didn’t show a loupe in the video as it’s impossible to focus on, but if I do acquire anything high value it’s a process and a half. You can still spot a fake but it gets more and more intense yearly.

I also won’t buy anything from the Euro sellers. It’s the den of bootlegs

cireza

This is a complicated time for collectors, we must be very careful. I personally stopped collecting for many consoles years ago, and as far as retro consoles are concerned, I only bought some Sega-CD and Neo Geo CD games in recent years. Cartridges have become way too expensive, and there are some really good replacement solutions out there.

When I think of the Neo Geo, even now I think of the Console in a manly room with a Fireplace and everything made of Mahogeny Wood, the chairs the footstool and the old TV panel (the one that is likely 40 inches wide with those old knobs for channels) and the room itself full of Cigar smoke from the exepnsive kind you get from Cuba.

And across the mantle, there are Ivory and Porcelain Antiques you can only inherit from your grandfather.

The Carpet is made of Shag and looks like a mix between a Browny White.

As a kid it really looks impressive and manly. The Price certainly gves me that vibe from the early 90s as it looks and plays ahead of its time.

Please tell me I am not alone in this imagination!

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

When I think of the Neo Geo, even now I think of the Console in a manly room with a Fireplace and everything made of Mahogeny Wood, the chairs the footstool and the old TV panel (the one that is likely 40 inches wide with those old knobs for channels) and the room itself full of Cigar smoke from the exepnsive kind you get from Cuba.

And across the mantle, there are Ivory and Porcelain Antiques you can only inherit from your grandfather.

The Carpet is made of Shag and looks like a mix between a Browny White.

As a kid it really looks impressive and manly. The Price certainly gves me that vibe from the early 90s as it looks and plays ahead of its time.

Please tell me I am not alone in this imagination!

lol you just described my dream game room. Deep leather couch and chairs, wood paneled walls, and a vintage globe that opens up to a gin bar

VGEsoterica

This is a complicated time for collectors, we must be very careful. I personally stopped collecting for many consoles years ago, and as far as retro consoles are concerned, I only bought some Sega-CD and Neo Geo CD games in recent years. Cartridges have become way too expensive, and there are some really good replacement solutions out there.

the upside is people now know you need to look out for repros / boots of expensive games. And outside of the Neo Geo AES, every other game cart (NES/SNES/Genesis/N64) is screw based ; opening them up for good board photos takes twenty seconds with the right bit. So sellers can’t lean on the “I don’t know how” excuse.

most sales of high value games I see now that are cart based have pcb photos included from the start.

AES is tricky as the carts are held together with retention clips. One wrong move and you snap one and take hundreds off the potential value of your game. Or you crease the cart label. So scammers hide behind this...”sorry I don’t want to take the risk but it’s real, trust me” style

CD boots are even easier. Just ask for the engraved code in the ring of the disc. It's manufacturing specific, so it’ll match a known real disc. Foolproof. If the seller won’t offer it, I would pass. Granted I’d just be doing this for the extremely rare and expensive stuff, but it’s a good option!

Last edited:
Top Bottom