• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what can Trump and his Republican Congress do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What I don't get is why you treat Trump as if he was a true Republican or even if he's gonna listen to his party policies

Do you get what a Congress is and what the Congress can do?

And Trump was the Republican candidate and ran on an extreme Republican platform.

radcliff

For financial regulation, I would imagine Dodd Frank is going to be repealed, or at least substantially changed. Not sure about Sarbanes Oxley, that was a bipartisan act and has been in place since 2002. I could see him making small changes to Sarbanes Oxley, like removing 404b (requiring an external auditor's opinion on management's assertions about its internal controls), more exemptions for small businesses and startups, or decreased fines and penalties for executives.

bill0527

I think Obamacare is gone. The premium increases along with decreases in coverage and a raise in deductibles and copays has hit the middle class too hard. I can only hope that something sensible is put in its place. Hillary was right that there are a lot of good parts to Obamacare that need to stay.

Pepboy

Seeing Trump as someone who wants to achieve anything else than his own well being and fame is a very amusing perspective. Good luck with that!

He doesn't give a fuck about negotiating with the Congress or gaining some good will. The elections proved him that being a TV star and talking a lot about anything is enough to be successful. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a TV show like Chavez.

I think you've been in the GAF bubble a little too long. (That and I'm not sure if you read my comment about him potentially doing it just to be spiteful. Specifically I never said he necessarily wanted to achieve goals that fit a particular political philosophy. But he will definitely do whatever trick he can to achieve whatever goal he feels like pursuing.)

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Trump is a businessman, he is going to govern in that way. What that means is he will likely ignore any social issues that don't effect the countries "Bottom line".

Gay Marriage will be fine
RvW will be fine

Obamacare is that depressed bill in the school house rock video, only instead of sitting on capitol hill, it is sitting on death row.

Trey

I think Obamacare is gone. The premium increases along with decreases in coverage and a raise in deductibles and copays has hit the middle class too hard. I can only hope that something sensible is put in its place. Hillary was right that there are a lot of good parts to Obamacare that need to stay.

Premiums are dramatically higher without Obamacare. Difference is people are just eating the tax penalty which is hurting more people.

I can see gop stripping out the mandate, which effectively kills the ACA.

ColdPizza

Banned
Legalization of gay marriage isn't undone in the fucking slightest. It gets undone if and only if Trump gets a replacement for Scalia in and replaces another liberal justice (or Kennedy) on top of that AND this court decides to grant cert to a case challenging a new anti-gay marriage law that somehow hasn't gotten struck down by any lower level court that can read the Obergefell verdict.

I'd like to point out that Republicans typically don't undo social advancements like this. There's more pressing matters to attend to. The hope is that Trump truly does pivot now that he doesn't have to cater to his most fervent base.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
If he has a spine he would kill NAFTA and raise import taxes on goods not made in America to astronomical heights. It would be interesting to see if forcing companies to make stuff in america would work. Theoretically, if it worked, jobs would come back to the US and leave places like Mexico and China.

They can direct their intelligence agencies to use the vast amounts of data they have collected on everyone on the planet to destroy their opponents.

People didn't take Snowden seriously enough because they couldn't imagine anyone except Obama in power. Gotta stop those terrorists and their couple hundred yearly murders right?

Also they can let climate change run rampant which will lead to our extinction by the end of this century.

I'm banking on this one. We are already at the point of no return, but voting this craziness into the most powerful position in the world will pretty much accelerate the process.

Jarmel

Banned
How would that happen?
They need a majority I believe to rewrite procedural rules. In the past neither side wanted the filibuster gone but due to how extremist the Republican party is now, there's no little benefit for them to not nuke the filibuster and have complete free reign while they run everything.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I'm banking on this one. We are already at the point of no return, but voting this craziness into the most powerful position in the world will pretty much accelerate the process.

Climate change will not lead to humanity's extinction. It'll kill a lot of people, and wipe out species, but humanity will survive.

Don't forget the dismantling of the first amendment!

He said he was going to have "a long talk" with the media and open the libel laws so he can sue people who he believes treat him unfairly. Even if said lawsuits prove groundless, they'll certainly have a chilling effect on free speech.

The precedent for libel is set by th Supreme Court and can only be changed by them or a constitutional amendment.

If he has a spine he would kill NAFTA and raise import taxes on goods not made in America to astronomical heights. It would be interesting to see if forcing companies to make stuff in america would work. Theoretically, if it worked, jobs would come back to the US and leave places like Mexico and China.

In reality, Trump isn't going to fuck over himself and his business like this.

Theoretically, this won't work too.

alternade

Its hard to repeal a supreme court case , gay rights wont be taken away
It's not when you control the government. It will be repealed and likely cause to outright ban it will be presented within 2-3 years.

This is the worst possible scenario for the LGBT community in a century. And that's putting it lightly.

It's not when you control the government. It will be repealed and likely cause to outright ban it will be presented within 2-3 years.

This is the worst possible scenario for the LGBT community in a century. And that's putting it lightly.
How will it be repealed? List the steps.

Do you understand what trade wars are?

WedgeX

Banned

There is nothing theoretical about this. Hoover tried this in 1930 and it sunk the US into lower depths of the Depression.

Shadybiz

Rural America isn't getting shit money wise. But guns and religion are safe.

Agreed.

Pissed me off so much...Clinton's plan was to make public college free to people with less than what, $125k income? That's most of the people in the rural America group. That's a good way to change careers if you were in coal, manufacturing, etc. But no...you instead chose to believe that Trump was going to manage to get your jobs back. Un-fucking-real.

seanoff

it doesnt work. go and do some reading about what would happen. its not pretty.

tkscz

It is bad that Obama expanded presidential power significantly.

It is good no one ever got rid of the filibuster.

Not really. Congress still kept slapping down his plans (took about 6 years before Obama care became a thing as congress refuted it so many times). At this point, it's less about parties and more about who likes or hates Trump in Congress (let's be honest though, it's always been that way with Congress). Hopefully, majority of Congress aren't behind him

Roe v. Wade - safe, SCOTUS does not overturn past decisions lightly and it will require decades of small rulings chipping away at it first. Most of the anti abortion work has been done at the state level and has been undone by federal courts.

Gay Marriage - safe, Trump doesn't really care at all and is smart enough to know enough Americans support it

Obamacare - who knows, something is gonna happen

immigration - DACA (dream act for kids who came as refugees) repealed as it was done by executive order by Obama. The full effects are really hard to untangle.

Muslims - all bullshit talk, he can't really do much except tell the FBI/DHS/TSA/etc to screen anyone brown a little bit more, deny more visas to citizens from Muslim countries

Trade agreements - who knows. TPP dead, NAFTA unchanged, Brexit means new agreements with England over 10 years. China, big question mark

Wall to mexico - never was gonna happen, more money spent on border patrol and possibly tarriffs/trade war with Mexico is real though

Affirmative action - there isn't that much at the federal level anyways, maybe less at the outsourcing level but most of this was rigged anyways - big companies were subcontracting jobs to minority companies to win bids and keeping most of the money

Social Security, medicaid - untouched

Federal Budget - who knows?

People thinking GOP will be able to control Trump are wrong. If anything, he spearheaded the triple-win night and has shown a remarkable ability to neutralize politicians who oppose him. The party, aside from the neo-con wing, will fall in line with his strategy. Or he'll just destroy them.

thefro

It's impossible to untangle it and it's a losing issue for Republicans. They may do something to chip away and pass "religious freedom" BS but the right to marriage will stay.

Onemic

Climate Change policies are pretty much guaranteed to be done.

Science funding cuts is also a near guarantee.

Everything else is unpredictable.

Oynox

Didn't read the whole thread but is it really possible to influence SCOTUS decision in the future? That would be the most devastating thing, wouldn't it?

Bookoo

But wouldn't then those countries rates import taxes on our goods which could result in the US producing less?

cress2000

I want to believe his republican congress won't be stupid enough to let him play dictator. But I don't know how much faith I have in that. It's gonna be a weird four years.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Roe v Wade and Gay Marriage requires either Kennedy or a liberal justice retiring.

Everything else requires a nuke of the filibuster, which will probably happen, and there's nothing democrats can do to stop it.

Social Security and Medicare won't be touched for current or near seniors. They're the ones voting Republican and that say stuff like "keep government hands off my medicare". It could be reduced for millennials though.

Jag

Didn't read the whole thread but is it really possible to influence SCOTUS decision in the future? That would be the most devastating thing, wouldn't it?

His appointments will have a massive affect on the morality laws of this country for decades. One of his few explicit promises was to stack the court with 2nd Amendment conservatives, who will most likely have strong religious beliefs as well. Probably throw a pro big business Judge or two in also. It will be much more devastating than his 4 year term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom