• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer

Tau

Why the FUCK no pc? Denuvo has proven to be highly successful, why not use that?

RDR2 will probably release on PC with a similar time frame GTAV came out on PC.
Either save up for a console (you have a year till it releases) or just sit quietly several months more....whilst majority of us ride into the sunset

jevity

I haven't read the whole thread, but are people focusing on how crazy the level of granular details are when it comes to the physics ? If this holds up in the end, we are looking at a game with unprecedented interaction physics.

Just look at the scene with the two small rodents in the field. One of the rodents is moving the foliage, one blade at a time, as it proceeds.

In another scene, a man walking next to his horse. The horse is carrying a dead animal and on top of how natural the animation of both the man and horse is, the dead animal on the bacl of the horse even has it owns physics.

In a third scene, a scruffy dog is gradually displacing some mud on the street. Also in this scene, we are shown something I have never seen in gameplay before. The vultures eating the pig, each pull on the carcass from different directions. Not only does the pig physically react to every single pull, you can also see how each pull result in the vultures ripping out individual pieces of meat off the pig.

Examining these scenes even further, looking at the placements and animations of npcs as well as the camera angles, it becomes obvious to me, that the mentioned scenes are not cutscenes, but gameplay seen from a different angle. Perhaps even seen from a first person perspective.

So the question that remains is this.

Will all these animations and their implications show up in the final game, or is this situation similar to what happened to GTA V ?

Maybe the extra power of the new hardware, will result in a game where we will not see a significant decrease in the detail and range of animations, between the reveal trailer and the final release.

RDR2 will probably release on PC with a similar time frame GTAV came out on PC.
Either save up for a console (you have a year till it releases) or just sit quietly several months more....whilst majority of us ride into the sunset

This is Rockstar were talking about no way it hits its scheduled release.

Just like how they port Red Dead Redemption to PC a year or two later and a lot of people bought it again. Oh wait.
Yeah, absolutely nothing has changed in the last 6 years. It's not like they've released all of their other games since Red Dead on PC, right? It's not like Redemption was the exception, not the rule, with almost every GTA game, Max Payne 3, LA Noire, Manhunt, and even Bully getting PC releases, right?

Moongazer

In all honesty I'd love to see this game turn into Rockstar's take on Blood Meridian but that might be something too intense even for the most jaded out there in interactive form. If they could make a character like the Judge, well shit this could be GOAT.
R* would need serious balls to do something like this. Stuff from that book has not even made it to film let alone in a big budget game. Blood Meridian has a very different perspective on the West than most people are used to and I'd like to see some more inspiration from the book and McCarthy in general. R* are about the only dev who could possibly pull it off.

dreamfall

Has any open world game successfully implemented a true season-cycle? That is, something that isn't pre-baked to change seasons according to where you are in the story?

Yeah I don't think so?

But god damn, Bully and Mafia 2 did it so well. Even when triggered by story progression, it's such a change of pace. I hope they include it.

Venture

Dynamically changing seasons would be a nice technical achievement but it doesn't really work from a story perspective. It would specifically draw attention to how much time has passed in-game. Plus there may be missions that would only make sense to play at certain times of the year. Having it tied to the story progression like in Bully makes more sense.

Bandit1

I noticed the rifles in the trailer had slings. I guess RDR2 will pull an Uncharted 4. The real question is, will we still be able to hold more than one long gun?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Looks very cool. It's just a teaser to give us a feel for the atmosphere of the world and it did that well, I thought. I do love a Western though, so maybe I'm biased.

Got a strong Warren Ellis/Nick Cave vibe from the music.

Interesting that they mention wondering what it would be like to have snow when RDR had that up in the northern part of the map.

I remember my mind being blown when I first encountered that. Was not expecting the snowy area at all.

Looks very cool. It's just a teaser to give us a feel for the atmosphere of the world and it did that well, I thought. I do love a Western though, so maybe I'm biased.

Got a strong Warren Ellis/Nick Cave vibe from the music.

I often have the Jesse James soundtrack going on custom music when I play RDR. Works perfectly.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
They need to make Cops n Robbers style mode for RDR Online. Something like 3:10 Yuma: one team has to get a VIP to a train and another team has to intercept them.

eso76

GameInformer spotted a nice detail

Changing Seasons?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...g-down-the-red-dead-redemption-2-trailer.aspx

damn, that would be really cool

They infer changing seasons from a falling leaf ? nah.
you'll get the occasional falling leaf from a tree that's completely random and is only there to make things more dynamic.Which is good enough.

That is, if that wasn't simply hand placed by those guys at R° for trailer purposes.

At least, there's a lot of snow in the distance though...

Bandit1

They need to make Cops n Robbers style mode for RDR Online. Something like 3:10 Yuma: one team has to get a VIP to a train and another team has to intercept them.

That would be a cool mode. I think someone else mentioned a mode where you would have one team on a moving train and another trying to board. That'd be fun too.

Parmenide

Oh c'mon, release the thing simultaneously, it's 2016, and I don't even game on PC. Also, do we know if the trailer was in game?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That would be a cool mode. I think someone else mentioned a mode where you would have one team on a moving train and another trying to board. That'd be fun too.

That sounds good too! Defend the Bank too, maybe? So many team games they can do.

They need to sort out proper online dueling too. The start of RDR deathmatches were fun, but I wouldn't mind a The Quick & The Dead style duel tournament too.

Simo

I think the best thing is that whatever mode that doesn't make it, I'm sure their creator mode will be there so we can just make our own like GTAV!

Likewise for the Editor too...man, I might spend too much time making my own movies. Lol

Tau

This is Rockstar were talking about no way it hits its scheduled release.

Don't disagree with you there, but considering the attention to detail people here are fragmenting based off the teaser trailer it would probably be realistic that it is possible to a delay then....but i wouldn't be complaining since it takes time to whip up a game with such intricacies.

dreamfall

Let the absurd speculation begin!
It wouldn't be a R* game, without the wild stretches of inferring shit from meaningless details.

ONE LEAF FALLS, AND SETS ALL THE RUMORS ABLAZE!

I kind of love the absurd speculation phase, let the imagination run wild with all the hopes and dreams for a new open world game that might finally get it all right baha.

It's also ironic because in a couple months time, they'll be the only ones with info that we'll be chasing :/

bengraven

2017: Rockstar releases RDR2 for Xbone/PS4 at $60, millions buy it
2019: Rockstar releases RDR2 for PC at $60, millions buy it

That's why.

202X: Rockstar releases RDR 2 for cell phones, triples their earlier sales. (Only 5% get around to playing it)

Bandit1

That sounds good too! Defend the Bank too, maybe? So many team games they can do.

They need to sort out proper online dueling too. The start of RDR deathmatches were fun, but I wouldn't mind a The Quick & The Dead style duel tournament too.

RDR's multiplayer is one of the only online experiences that really drew me in. I usually don't care much for multiplayer, but I could do gang shootouts and freeroam for hours on end with a couple of my friends. And I loved the opening draw of gang shootouts too.

Kinyou

The whole posse at the end looks so great. Hope they'll manage to make you feel really part of that group
Great soundtrack. I can easily believe that would work.

It would be awesome if Rockstar got them to score the game.
Nick Cave being part of the soundtrack would be absolutely amazing

If there's no word on a PC release by the time this comes out, this will be the game that convinces me to join this console generation. Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games I ever played (and, due to the technical superiority, the game that convinced me to get an Xbox 360 to join my PS3). If this one is half as good, it'll be worth a new system.

Yeah I don't think so?

But god damn, Bully and Mafia 2 did it so well. Even when triggered by story progression, it's such a change of pace. I hope they include it.

I guess there could be a bit of that if it's sectioning off parts of the map, like the last game had a river that lowers height to become crossable towards the end of the story. Map leak suggested the game starts in a small section of the mountains so could use snowdrifts or other things to limit your progress. Doubt there'll be a proper seasonal cycle, definitely not just from a falling leaf.

Chumley

Banned
Just like how they port Red Dead Redemption to PC a year or two later and a lot of people bought it again. Oh wait.

It's been extensively documented why that game is never going to be remastered or ported to PC. The engine was a mess and it would basically require rebuilding the game from the ground up to get it onto new systems. Rockstar is more interested in making new games than devoting the resources to doing that, Xbox One BC is the best we're ever going to get.

It's kind of a strange time right now developing a game. RDR2 has been in development for a few years now. The PS4Pro was just announced and coming out next month while the Scorpio will be coming out sometime next year. Rockstar is probably just playing it safe for now announcing the game on current systems. I'm sure once all the consoles are out they will see if they can improve anything on the upcoming systems, then they will probably announce the PC version.

Solo

So you played RDR and thought it was the best game ever.

And then you stopped playing games.

OK, I guess that makes no sense.

? I played games for 20 years pre-RDR. Then I played RDR in 2010 when it released. I played games for 3 more years after. Then I lost interest. RDR might be my favorite game in my near 25 years of gaming experience, and one who's sequel could get me back into gaming. What's hard to understand?

Stiler

Speaking of seasons , you have to think about GTA V. It had EXCELLENT Snow tech in it's "intro" and then they up and just dropped the ball by not having it in the main part of the game, like wtf?

A ton of people commented about that and how awesome the snow area looked with snow that actually had depth to it (like Uncharted/AC3).

Hopefully since it's using an updated version of that engine that they listened to people and indeed will have seasons and snow like that.

Speaking of seasons , you have to think about GTA V. It had EXCELLENT Snow tech in it's "intro" and then they up and just dropped the ball by not having it in the main part of the game, like wtf?

A ton of people commented about that and how awesome the snow area looked with snow that actually had depth to it (like Uncharted/AC3).

Hopefully since it's using an updated version of that engine that they listened to people and indeed will have seasons and snow like that.

They add the snow back to the world during Christmas and new years events in GTA Online.

It'll have snow areas for sure, and should at least be a step up from the one in RDR :p

Parham

Banned

The economics of releasing a PC game in 2016 are much more different than 2010. Unless there are technical hurdles to releasing RDR2 on the PC, as there were with RDR, I don't see why they wouldn't release on the PC eventually.

Simo

It'll have snow areas for sure, and should at least be a step up from the one in RDR :p

Love snow areas and playing games with them in the fall and winter, especially living here in Michigan. lol Not sure why though but I just do. Spending the hours in Skyrim or Tall Trees in RDR, so I can't wait to see the snow in the new engine especially with the more realistic looking lighting that we saw in the teaser.

To be fair, the bulk of GTA V takes place in Southern California where snow is exceedingly rare. Just because you have the tech doesn't mean you should incorporate it in areas where it doesn't make sense.

As to the idea that RDR 2 has seasons based on a single leaf falling from a tree... that feels like a stretch. But, hey, could happen (maybe in line with certain story events as opposed to shifting seasons happening in the broader gameworld continuously). There was certainly enough diversity of environments in RDR that I think it's jumping to conclusions to say there are likely seasonal changes as opposed to just "here's the snow section."

Audiophile

PastelImpressiveApe-size_restricted.gif

Hope the sky actually looks like this in parts of the game.

Top Bottom