• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption coming in 2017 according to Dev

Ok here's the screenshot excerpt I tweeted on what Take-Two said to my direct Red Dead sequel question: https://twitter.com/firstadopter/status/710851688953942016

Cd1z2BjUAAABqVK.jpg:large

I've already completed the game 2 times, I'll be hugely disapointed if I've been waiting all this time for a remastered version of a game that I wanted a sequel for (more like just another game in the same era). And it's not even releasing this year but in 2017? lol fuck me. Been wanting some news on their next title for the longest time, and this is what I get. :( 2 remastered version in a row from Rockstar now if this rumour has any truth to it.

goonergaz

Because it's a miracle it even works on consoles, it was slapped together and rushed around until things just made sense, unlike other Rockstar titles from that generation it uses a subset build of the engine, to clear it up, here's how RAGE is broken is broken down...

RAGE ERB1
- Rockstar Presents Table Tennis

RAGE ERB2
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Midnight Club LA
- Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

RAGE ERB3
- Max Payne 3
- Grand Theft Auto V/Online

RAGE is developed by Rockstar San Diego, the studio that handles the Midnight Club and Red Dead series, for Red Dead Redemption though it uses neither ERB2 or ERB3, it's like a highly customised split off version of ERB2 mixed with some RB3 features (think of it like a 2.5), The code for that was a complete mess and changes were made daily without being documented during development, and as such no PC version of the code was ever made as they strictly focused on getting the Xbox 360 (which was the main focus of RAGE during ERB1 and ERB2) and PlayStation 3 version of the game stable.

After Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar used the year in which L.A.Noire was being pushed (which doesn't use RAGE) to heavily rework RAGE for a new build which took advantage of both PC and PlayStation 3 features, as well as pushing the Xbox 360 to it's limits, this resulted in ERB3 which debuted with Max Payne 3, which of course had a brilliant PC version compared to the previous PC release which at the time was Grand Theft Auto IV/Episodes from Liberty City.

The ONLY way Rockstar could do a remaster of Red Dead Redemption is if they took the game itself and transfered it over to ERB3 and THEN ported it to PC (which in turn would allow PS4 and XBO versions too), but to salvage that mess of a code and actually put that amount of work into it would cost a lot of man hours.

It's not because "they just hate PC gamers", etc, or anything silly like that, it really is because the game itself is a coded mess and it's a surprise it got stable on 360/PS3, if you look at the assets yourself you can even see things like audio and textures thrown in last minute not packed in the archives properly, etc, as an example of how things were being thrown around right up til gold with the game.

amazing stuff, I guess in the future though they may be able to have some sort of wrap-around emulator for the X360 version which would work on high end PCs PS5/XBnext? - have a better resolution and frame-rate? I'm still waiting on the XBO version to see if it'll offer any improvements would love to play again prior to RDR2

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've never placed any stock in the "RDR isn't on the PC because the PS360 codebases are a mess" rumour. It strikes me as a 2+2=5 thing, like "The PS2 Final Fantasy games aren't on non-PlayStation platforms because they were co-developed/published by Sony".

Urthor

I mean these guys might have a source, they might not, but the fact is it's a very good guess that makes a ton of sense, maybe they've just made up a source and are taking a punt.

Also, wouldn't the best way to port RDR be the Microsoft method. Brute force a fucking emulator on top of the steaming pile of shit, make sure the entire code is in binary because like hell are they letting a proprietary 360 emulator get onto the street, whack it on UWP and let people bruteforce it with 10nm Intel CPUs and Pascal Titans.

UWP might be the devil itself, but sometimes it just feels so good to be so bad yaknow

injurai

Banned
I've never placed any stock in the "RDR isn't on the PC because the PS360 codebases are a mess" rumour. It strikes me as a 2+2=5 thing, like "The PS2 Final Fantasy games aren't on non-PlayStation platforms because they were co-developed/published by Sony".

Especially because Bully when ported to PC entirely changed engines. They just moved the assets and redid all the logic.

SomTervo

amazing stuff, I guess in the future though they may be able to have some sort of wrap-around emulator for the X360 version which would work on high end PCs PS5/XBnext? - have a better resolution and frame-rate? I'm still waiting on the XBO version to see if it'll offer any improvements would love to play again prior to RDR2

Think you posted in the wrong thread and gave this (equally worthless) one a bump.

pelican

Sometimes I think I should send a random email to a website supplying exclusive insider news and see if it gets published.

If you make it plausible I bet someone would pick it up - especially pre-E3 season.

SomTervo

But, um, it's the truth. Multiple individuals who have since cut ties with Rockstar have confirmed it. RDRedemption was made with a half-iterated engine that was terribly managed so that half of the spaghetti code wasn't even recorded - they wouldnt even know what to fix or where to start. It's the only game made with Rage 2.5 and would take hundreds of thousands of man-hours to even get working at a functional level.

AngryMoth

About time...

How did they go from releasing a game every year to taking 4 years to release something original for current gen

About time...

How did they go from releasing a game every year to taking 4 years to release something original for current gen

They were on fire there for awhile. GTA4 in 2008, expansions in 2009, RDR in 2010, LA Noire (not a real Rockstar game but still) in 2011, Max Payne 3 in 2012, GTAV in 2013, GTAV in 2014, GTAV in 2015. And before that they were at least getting a new game out every two years. Three years of GTA5, and it's looking like nothing new this year unless they do a Fallout 4 style launch, which they actually have done before though.

Four years into the current gen cycle and we might actually have a new Rockstar game by the time it releases in 17... This is simply amazing... Just in time for the remaster a year later also for PS4.5... Can't wait...

But, um, it's the truth. Multiple individuals who have since cut ties with Rockstar have confirmed it. RDRedemption was made with a half-iterated engine that was terribly managed so that half of the spaghetti code wasn't even recorded - they wouldnt even know what to fix or where to start. It's the only game made with Rage 2.5 and would take hundreds of thousands of man-hours to even get working at a functional level.

Do you have any links?

Auctopus

'Fallout 4's obviously not coming out this year otherwise we'd know about it already.'

Very different companies. GTA V was announced 2 years before it was released and even then we didn't see proper screens/promos until about 6 months to go. R* work on their own time.

This rumor was posted a week ago on "FragHero" from an anonymous email with no details. The only details... "Red Dead Redemption 2: Legends of the West" does not sound like something Rockstar would release.

It'd be like calling GTAV "Grand Theft Auto V: Crime of the Century"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Who, exactly? I see one GAFer who claims to have left R* in 2015 and that's it (and even if he were indeed an employee, that's not necessarily a guarantee he was in a position to know why RDR has yet to make it off the PS360).

The driving philosophy behind the development of RAGE was that it would allow R* to create then-next-gen games across multiple platforms relatively easily. They're not separate engines unto themselves like, say, UE3 versus UE4; they're modified forks, like Source. That's not to say moving RDR to a more recent version of RAGE would be as simple as pressing a button (humouring the assumption for the moment that the game simply must be ported to a newer version of the engine), but it would also not be tantamount to coding the game from the ground up, as you seem to imply.

I'd also submit that RDR being available as a BC title on the X1 title weakens the theory given BC is a brute-force approach in the form of X360 games running in a virtualised environment, which is to say that many X360 games, particularly those that are genuinely "poorly optimised", are going to be even worse on the X1. That's a large if not the entire reason BC is being implemented on a per-title basis rather than as a general feature.

To be clear, I'm not saying that the theory is incorrect. That wouldn't make any sense. I'm simply not convinced of its veracity.

So, uh... I was just doing a bit of job searching and stumbled across this

I doubt this means anything (game dev making games! Massive shock!) but it seems like they could be ramping up production a bit for something possibly coming out next year

muteant

He's talking about the 6th gen game Red Dead Revolver.
My dream is that Rockstar harkens back to some of the original's batshit insanity for the next installment. And I've yet to play another game where aiming a gun felt so right. That games was really standout in some ways.

Red Dead Revolution. Have it take place in prohibition era North East, with the wildlands of Canada replacing RDR's Mexico.

Either that or go back in time to slavery era and ape Django for style and story. Not sure if a video game could get away with that many n-words though.

Top Bottom