• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
107 story missions. Holy fucking shitballs.

Definitely going to be playing as honorably as possible. Seems like it’s pretty easy to gain unwanted attention, especially if you fuck up by bumping into the wrong person or stealing something with too many eyes around. Don’t need those bounties on my ass.

Given what some reviews have said - it is paced pretty well despite the larger number of story missions. Roughly 25-35 hours to complete the story. I am hyped for that. I love a good paced, well structured story that isn't bogged down with repetitive side content. Currently my only major issue with AC Odyssey.

107 story missions. Holy fucking shitballs.

Definitely going to be playing as honorably as possible. Seems like it’s pretty easy to gain unwanted attention, especially if you fuck up by bumping into the wrong person or stealing something with too many eyes around. Don’t need those bounties on my ass.

I try to play honorably too but there's always some asshole that makes me put them in their place. :messenger_loudly_crying:

I tried to be patient and wait until the turn of the month, I've pretty much exhausted my entertainment budget for this month...

...but fuck it, I have it preloaded. Just watching a hockey game that'll end at 9PM. After that, I've still three episodes of "The Haunting of Hill House" to watch, and then it'll be midnight. I've a nice bottle of Scotch to keep me company/warm. Next day I'll "work from home" (I mean, I may answer a few emails, but that'll be the extent of it). Yay for hedonism!

I'm working from home tomorrow too for a couple hours before PTO kicks in. Tonight/tomorrow will be fantastic!! :messenger_beermugs:

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I try to play honorably too but there's always some asshole that makes me put them in their place. :messenger_loudly_crying:

I’ll make sure to handle those situations with a gun if they occur far enough away from a town. Otherwise I’m just gonna stick to minding my own business. Still gonna greet and talk to people though.

Walking through a town in first person and the level of detail is insane.

Opened a random door in the hotel and walked in on an NPC shitting. :messenger_grinning:

edit: A funny clip I got from one of the first side mission about 2-3 hours into the game (doesn't contain any story spoilers). Watch where you're riding.

https://streamable.com/c9e4i

I should've waited to clip it. The animations of the horse struggling were distrubingly real.

Didn’t the DF video state that base PS4 was a bit better than Xbox One S?
I was going based on the article. They speculated the better One S framerate could be because of the slightly higher CPU speed. Not a big difference between them though.

Last edited:

DryvBy

They need to have 2 GOTY awards. One will just be the "Red Dead obviously won" GOTY award and then the follow up game since there's no way RDR2 is gonna lose.

I have it on good word mine will be here really early tonight.

HeadsUp7Up

Staying up late to play this tonight before I head out of town tomorrow after work for the weekend, can’t wait to play!

On another note Xbox gamers add me for when multiplayer drops. Adult with an 18 month old and full-time job so I generally play late nights or weekends, central time zone.

Gamertag: PikturePerfekt

Raven117

Given what some reviews have said - it is paced pretty well despite the larger number of story missions. Roughly 25-35 hours to complete the story. I am hyped for that. I love a good paced, well structured story that isn't bogged down with repetitive side content. Currently my only major issue with AC Odyssey.
I thought most had the game at 60 hours for main story.

They need to have 2 GOTY awards. One will just be the "Red Dead obviously won" GOTY award and then the follow up game since there's no way RDR2 is gonna lose.

I have it on good word mine will be here really early tonight.
Two GOTY awards, one for Dream Daddy and one for everything else.

I am mostly going by the EZAllies review by Brandon Jones. It was stated that the core story was about "two dozen" hours.
~25 for the core story is actually what I'd prefer. It's clear they invested a lot of time into various side stories and emergent gameplay mechanics. That's where the meat of the game is, anyway. I mean, people have been ignoring R* open-world stories since GTA III. It's nice that it's there, but I want the open-world itself to have all the attention.

Anyone with an early copy of Deluxe or Ultimate mind giving a better description of the bonuses? Particularly this:

Gameplay Boosts, Cash Bonuses & Discounts: This collection of exclusive Story Mode boosts, bonuses and discounts will help Arthur to survive out in the harsh wilderness and better provide for his gang members and their camp. The Core Stat boost benefits Arthur’s Stamina, Health and Dead Eye Cores. Earn more cash during robbery missions with the Van der Linde gang, and when hunting and selling animal carcasses. Receive discounts on all upgrades to the Van der Linde gang’s camp.

How big is the boost? Is it passive or a consumable? Can you turn it off?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You need to enable the sound on the player. I think it was spoiler tagged so it is off by default.

So horses do cause crunch.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Anyone with an early copy of Deluxe or Ultimate mind giving a better description of the bonuses? Particularly this:

Gameplay Boosts, Cash Bonuses & Discounts: This collection of exclusive Story Mode boosts, bonuses and discounts will help Arthur to survive out in the harsh wilderness and better provide for his gang members and their camp. The Core Stat boost benefits Arthur’s Stamina, Health and Dead Eye Cores. Earn more cash during robbery missions with the Van der Linde gang, and when hunting and selling animal carcasses. Receive discounts on all upgrades to the Van der Linde gang’s camp.

How big is the boost? Is it passive or a consumable? Can you turn it off?

I think it is like a 5 to 10% increase.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
~25 for the core story is actually what I'd prefer. It's clear they invested a lot of time into various side stories and emergent gameplay mechanics. That's where the meat of the game is, anyway. I mean, people have been ignoring R* open-world stories since GTA III. It's nice that it's there, but I want the open-world itself to have all the attention.

Same. As much as I love a good long epic like a Persona, Final Fantasy, or Dragon Quest - I also prefer the good lengthed games like GTA or RDR that don't completely waste your time with side attractions that feel necessary or pad out the game time.

Seems pretty negligible then. I'd still like an option to turn it off. Kinda hard to get specifics on it since every search result just parrots what R* which isn't very detailed at all.

I think the bonuses are tied to trinkets you equip like amulets and such. Just don't equip said trinkets and you should be fine. This is just a guess though since I'm impatiently waiting like most of us here.

Same. As much as I love a good long epic like a Persona, Final Fantasy, or Dragon Quest - I also prefer the good lengthed games like GTA or RDR that don't completely waste your time with side attractions that feel necessary or pad out the game time.

For me, I think 35-40 hours is a perfect campaign length. I can see how more than 40 is too much for some and less than 30 maybe not enough for others

Wunray

Anyone know when the game installs the extra 50 gb for the digital version? cause my own hasn't done it yet, downloaded the 98 gigs but there is supposed to be an extra 50 right?

Anyone know when the game installs the extra 50 gb for the digital version? cause my own hasn't done it yet, downloaded the 98 gigs but there is supposed to be an extra 50 right?

If you've got it installed on your ps4 then you should be good. The 50 extra GB was just necessary storage space during install. After installation 98GB should be the correct size.

I think the bonuses are tied to trinkets you equip like amulets and such. Just don't equip said trinkets and you should be fine. This is just a guess though since I'm impatiently waiting like most of us here.

R* lists the Talismans as a separate things which is why I wanted clarification.

Talisman and Medallion Gameplay Bonuses: These special Story Mode items will give Arthur a helping hand whenever they are equipped. Attaching the Eagle Talon Talisman to his boot, Arthur’s environmental awareness skill will last longer. By carrying the Iguana Scale in his personal Satchel, Arthur will take less damage while riding on horseback.

R* lists the Talismans as a separate things which is why I wanted clarification.

Talisman and Medallion Gameplay Bonuses: These special Story Mode items will give Arthur a helping hand whenever they are equipped. Attaching the Eagle Talon Talisman to his boot, Arthur’s environmental awareness skill will last longer. By carrying the Iguana Scale in his personal Satchel, Arthur will take less damage while riding on horseback.

Well shoot, I really have no idea then. I knew there were trinkets though! :messenger_winking_tongue:

Gtafans93

I'm determined to match my in-game looks and outfit to Brisco's.

giphy.gif
Yes! You I like. Imma get me comet, Bowler and Daisy and then Imma be an honorable man.

Dunki

Welp only played like an hour since it it 1 in the morning and I need to work tomorrow but so far its really cool. I just wish there would be no snow XD

Fun fact: Darkies has been translated in the German version with Neger. So was Darkies a common term or did they not dare to say the N word?

Otherwise god damn this music is some Sergio Leone shit. Its fucking great

TLZ

Banned
Just bought it.

Whatever the system, this game is a looker. Enjoy it on whatever system you have everyone.

Fun fact: Darkies has been translated in the German version with Neger. So was Darkies a common term or did they not dare to say the N word?
I'd say they of course used the N word during that time, but they can't use it in this game now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom