• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit troll apologizes for trump CNN gif/all those racist remarks

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Some people think that it's the justice system's job to enforce the law, not a media corporation and internet mob justice.

If he broke the law he should be prosecuted under the law.

End of story.

Putting a name to a public action is not delivering justice, saint god. It's not like someone digged into his private conversations.

Some people think that it's the justice system's job to enforce the law, not a media corporation and internet mob justice.

If he broke the law he should be prosecuted under the law.

End of story.

Did CNN prosecute him? When?

Did CNN broke the law? What law?

Did an internet mob broke any law? Which laws?

Nepenthe

After everything that's happened, we're still arguing against this idea that a man is getting blackmailed into not making memes because he made a meme and that hurt CNN's feelings? Really?

Really?

Mesoian

After everything that's happened, we're still arguing against this idea that a man is getting blackmailed into not making memes because he made a meme and that hurt CNN's feelings? Really?

Really?

As I've watched this whole thing unfold, I've found that people are generally pretty afraid of the concept of making a meme and having their name attached to it. A lot of people see this as their ability to shitpost without consequence as being attacked by CNN.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Really?
Yes, some people truly are thick as a brick. And I'm not talking about the awesome Jethro Tull album.

Koomaster

This is like saying; 'I know where the cockroach hides in the house, but I'm not going to tell anyone where.' Should have just posted his name to the story like what normally happens in news articles. Not sure why this guy has any right to privacy over this.

Nepenthe

As I've watched this whole thing unfold, I've found that people are generally pretty afraid of the concept of making a meme and having their name attached to it. A lot of people see this as their ability to shitpost without consequence as being attacked by CNN.

You think this would be the wake-up call to say "Hey, maybe I should think about the personal and social consequences of my online fuckery possibly blowing up and becoming mainstream knowledge in an era of unprecedented political acknowledgement and news coverage of the Internet, and start producing content that makes me at least look like a decent human being.

...... Nah, I deserve the right to threaten those niggers on a public website without people knowing it's really me. Stop ruining everything CNN."

JCizzle

I do wish they spent more time reporting on actual policy than investigating who made a gif on Reddit, yes.

The public is severely misinformed about the problems with health care in this country and it's surely in no small part because of the coverage (and subsequent debate) that dumb shit like this gets.
Do you think CNN has like one reporter or something? Somehow this was such a big effort for them that it required all their reporters to drop everything else they were working on? I mean, goodness. I'm capable of multitasking let alone an entire news organization. It probably took someone half a day to figure this shit out.

Mesoian

You think this would be the wake-up call to say "Hey, maybe I should think about the personal and social consequences of my online fuckery possibly blowing up and becoming mainstream knowledge in an era of unprecedented political acknowledgement and news coverage of the Internet, and start producing content that makes me at least look like a decent human being.

...... Nah, I deserve the right to threaten those niggers on a public website without people knowing it's really me. Stop ruining everything CNN."

I mean, these people don't want self-reflection. Shitposting makes them feel good. I'm reminded of the story about the guy who was married for 10 years and his wife found out he was a notorious chan troll. She asked him to stop and he refused. They split up over it. He ended his marriage because he would rather shit post.

That's where we're at in society.

What I get from this is that some people suddenly don't know the difference between journalism and doxing.

One of the things I learned from this whole thing is that a lot of people don't know what doxxing actually is.

Random17

Despite that guy being an asshole (at best) - we join a lot of these websites with a pseudonym under the expectation that other posters and lurkers don't know our real identities, and more importantly our real life counterparts don't know our pseudonyms. True anonymity on the internet doesn't exist - if someone or some organisation wanted to find out who you are they can do so really easily.

However, there's still an expectation in most people's minds about the separation between forums and real life. If that wasn't the case, people would be posting their own personal details left right and centre - most don't and on many websites such as Reddit it is against the TOS and for good reason.

That means you can delve into your interest groups without fear of judgement - heck I would be very uncomfortable with anyone IRL reading my post history even though it lacks objectionable content. Especially when it goes back years, and there's stuff I may regret and find embarrassing to explain without context.

I'm not comfortable with the situation because large, private organisations doxxing posters sets a dangerous precedent - CNN definitely isn't the first to do so - but it's a very dickish thing to do. Yes, the poster's views are godawful, but doxxing isn't limited to those with godawful views, it can be used against anyone. Breitbart doxxing posters who are anti-Trump would be the nightmare 'revenge' scenario, for instance.

Unfortunately, the only reason this blew up is because it plays on the Trump narrative, and as such the right came out in force on social media. Either way, CNN handled this poorly - they shouldn't have followed this guy at all. That meme made no difference to their organisation and they've done far more damage responding rather than shrugging it off.

GrapeApes

I'm not comfortable with the situation because large, private organisations doxxing posters sets a dangerous precedent - CNN definitely isn't the first to do so - but it's a very dickish thing to do. Yes, the poster's views are godawful, but doxxing isn't limited to those with godawful views, it can be used against anyone. Breitbart doxxing posters who are anti-Trump would be the nightmare 'revenge' scenario, for instance. Unfortunately, the only reason this blew up is because it plays on the Trump narrative and as such the right came out in force on social media. Either way CNN handled this poorly - they shouldn't have followed this guy at all. That meme made no difference to their organisation and they've done far more damage responding rather than shrugging it off.
Good thing no one is actually reporting on this guys identity. Again, it's not like CNN decided to look this guy out the blue. If Obama shared something from a left wing nutbag who talked about killing entire groups Breitbart would not be the only one looking into this scenario. CNN would report that too. People acting like this guy wasn't interjected into a national news story. Stop carrying water for this guy.

rjinaz

Whew now CNN is to blame for people getting fucked over by Republicans on healthcare. The leaps and bounds people will go to because they feel sorry for a Racist, that didn't actually get outed but instead the reporter has been the one receiving threats. Because they were mean to him :(

Lothars

Despite that guy being an asshole (at best) - we join a lot of these websites with a pseudonym under the expectation that other posters and lurkers don't know our real identities, and more importantly our real life counterparts don't know our pseudonyms. True anonymity on the internet doesn't exist - if someone or some organisation wanted to find out who you are they can do so really easily.

However, there's still an expectation in most people's minds about the separation between forums and real life. If that wasn't the case, people would be posting their own personal details left right and centre - most don't and on many websites such as Reddit it is against the TOS and for good reason.

That means you can delve into your interest groups without fear of judgement - heck I would be very uncomfortable with anyone IRL reading my post history even though it lacks objectionable content. Especially when it goes back years, and there's stuff I may regret and find embarrassing to explain without context.

I'm not comfortable with the situation because large, private organisations doxxing posters sets a dangerous precedent - CNN definitely isn't the first to do so - but it's a very dickish thing to do. Yes, the poster's views are godawful, but doxxing isn't limited to those with godawful views, it can be used against anyone. Breitbart doxxing posters who are anti-Trump would be the nightmare 'revenge' scenario, for instance.

Unfortunately, the only reason this blew up is because it plays on the Trump narrative, and as such the right came out in force on social media. Either way, CNN handled this poorly - they shouldn't have followed this guy at all. That meme made no difference to their organisation and they've done far more damage responding rather than shrugging it off.
Sorry he doesn't deserve any respect or freedom from his identity being unveiled, I think CNN should have released it but fine they warned him. People like this troll don't deserve the benefit of the doubt and hopefully when he does something else they will release his identity.

Good thing no one is actually reporting on this guys identity. Again, it's not like CNN decided to look this guy out the blue. If Obama shared something from a left wing nutbag who talked about killing entire groups Breitbart would not be the only one looking into this scenario. CNN would report that too. People acting like this guy wasn't interjected into a national news story. Stop carrying water for this guy.
Yeah I don't get the defense for this guy at all.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

You might want to read the thread before posting this stuff. Its been said a hundred times already and its still wrong since they didn't doxx him, he took credit for the gif after the President tweeted it out and already had personal info in his many posts as well as a shit load of bigoted bull shit.

It's interesting to me how all these posts that jump in without reading the rest of thread never begin with "yea, this guy who called for genocide against all non-white races..." and instead always begins with "look, this guy may have been a bit of a jerk or an asshole... BUT"

The Kree

Banned
It's interesting to me how all these posts that jump in without reading the rest of thread never begin with "yea, this guy who called for genocide against all non-white races..." and instead always begins with "look, this guy may have been a bit of a jerk or an asshole... BUT"

It's almost like they all have an agenda.

Top Bottom