• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
has there ever been any evidence that this is what they're doing?
There was some speculation surrounding that when Iwata noted that they were interested in making a more iOS/Android-esque platform, but that statement seems to primarily apply to the operating system concept than the hardware at this point (so think more Windows 10 than iOS).

I could be wrong though.

BiggNife

They will learn by their mistakes. I can believe the same thing could be happened on GAF in the past.

All I know is that reddit's verification process has been proven to have failed in the past while GAF's hasn't. Plus, reddit moderation is much less centralized than GAFs, as every subreddit has its own mods. So unless I see proof that they have a stricter procedure now, I'm going to take any "rumor" there with a grain of salt. Of course, it could be real, but I'm not going to believe it right away like I would with a Bish verified user.

Coolade

Reddit verified doesn't really mean shit though, right?
tYLw8nL.png

According to the Poster, that's what he had to go through to get verified.

Rodin

Can't believe people are happy about x86, or that Nintendo actually went that route. It's simply nonsensical.

It's also probably (hopefully) fake though.

ZOONAMI

So this leak kinda announces a lot:
-BC with Wii U possible with Second Screen Support
-Current-Gen games can run on NX hardwae (at least the console), leading to ports of titles like FFXV, KH3 and other JP titles not being off the table
-Support with My Nintendo very likely

Thank you for sharing this with us OP :). The NX pieces are starting to come together....

Stop with the BC! The reddit post does not say that at all!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Assuming the Reddit mods did the vetting right, and I have no reason to doubt that, then this leak is huge. Second screen support aside it confirms a console and x86. Looks like Nintendo is returning to the arms race ala N64 and GameCube as Microsoft and Sony have started releasing less expensive consoles again.

However, they are NX subreddit mods at the end of the day, so do take it with a grain of salt.

Qwyjibo

So from reading some of these other posts, this would make a handheld aspect of the NX unlikely? Unless it's just a completely separate system?

Bleh.

After recent releases, Nintendo doesn't have any trust from me in terms of home consoles. But a handheld follow-up to the 3DS would have me somewhat interested. Obviously, as long as it maintains the support the 3DS had in terms of games.

mcrommert

Banned
They have to break bc to get on a modern platform...BC is great but it has been the weight around their neck holding them back to the gamecube years and years later

Teletraan1

Banned
though the question is if 3rd party devs want to go through the trouble

They will at least do a bunch of late ports at full price while the existing versions on other platforms can be picked up for huge discounts. When they don't sell they can say "see" and that's that.

maxcriden

x86 means no binary backwards compatibility with WiiU (it's a PPC CPU).

Makes sense to me. Wii U BC has always been considered unlikely since PPC is archaic*.

edit: sorry, I've since been advised that's not the case. My understanding regardless though is that it would add unnecessary cost to the system to include BC if they go w/ x86 (as Neoxon said later in the thread).

Peltz

Not much to this leak other than architecture and second screen stuff. Doesn't sound like a "new concept" yet.

LewieP

Nothing too outlandish there.

My expectation has been that they'd go with ARM on both their upcoming home console and handheld.

Guess Who

Banned
That's exactly what the jaguar x86 cpu is in the ps4. Designed for tablets originally.

Yeah, and that didn't work out very well for them. Jaguar sucked terribly for mobile devices and almost no one used it.

No reason hey couldn't go to AMD for console and Intel for handled. The whole point of x86 is that software would work on both. Plus Intel has been trying to get into mobile so Nintendo could get a good deal from them.

My assumption is that, if Nintendo went AMD for a console, they'd certainly use an APU like the PS4/XBO. If, hypothetically, Intel was used for the mobile version (which would be pretty weird to me, tbh), what do you propose they do about a GPU? Intel's GPUs aren't terribly competitive, especially at really low wattage, and it'd hurt the supposed "mobile and console as one platform" proposal if the mobile device has a completely different GPU architecture in any case.

Well yeah but no BC.
The industry has made a statement that BC doesn't matter, so yeah.
I imagine they can add to the VC line up (GCN+Wii) on the console and remaster the best Wii U titles that aren't getting sequels any time soon like Bayonetta, Xenoblade, Zelda U (not MK8 nor Splatoon since MK9 and Spla2oon will likely happen rather quickly)

Asd202

They will at least do a bunch of late ports at full price while the existing versions on other platforms can be picked up for huge discounts. When they don't sell they can say "see" and that's that.

Isn't this the same guy that said to expect 3rd party ports early-mid 2017 if the console lanuches in 2016? So yeah...

bomblord1

Banned
Makes sense to me. Wii U BC has always been considered unlikely since PPC is archaic.

This is patently false. The PPC architecture is newer and considerably better than x86 from a purely architectural standpoint. However it hasn't had the massive backing of Intel and AMD to get to the current power and performance thresholds x86 sits at.

The third parties in mid 2017 thing sounds like it only applies if they started right now. I'm sure some have had dev kits for a while though

Honestly, none of this info sounds out of the question. In fact, this seems like what most people would expect from a Nintendo console release in 2016. Nothing "groundbreaking" here

I wonder if the NX will even have a huge gimmick attached to it like the Wii and Wii U. The only truly game changing technology out there that I know of is VR (something they've stated they have no interest in atm), so I'm curious to see if Nintendo can actually deliver something of equal or near innovation.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't want another PS4 with Nintendo games. I'd rather Nintendo go for the unified platform route and have a ARM console so all games have cross play and cross buy with their next handheld.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm really pleased that Nintendo have finally seen sense and gone down the X86 route. I don't care about BC. I want a machine that going to powerful and have easy ports.

will current gen is in year 2 /3 so no shit NX can handle current gen games?

honestly, if the 4/5 year console cycles are true then Nintendo should have waited for an entire new gen.

ZOONAMI

Yeah, and that didn't work out very well for them. Jaguar sucked terribly for mobile devices and almost no one used it.

My assumption is that, if Nintendo went AMD for a console, they'd certainly use an APU like the PS4/XBO. If, hypothetically, Intel was used for the mobile version (which would be pretty weird to me, tbh), what do you propose they do about a GPU? Intel's GPUs aren't terribly competitive, especially at really low wattage, and it'd hurt the supposed "mobile and console as one platform" proposal if the mobile device has a completely different GPU architecture in any case.

Just saying that the current systems use mobile cpus. So x86 mobile cpu for Nintendo from amd shouldn't be surprising. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a new amd x86 cpu in the handheld. Hopefully that will be 14nm though and efficient.

Dr.Acula

Banned
"Can handle ports of current-gen games."

That reads like they can easily port Wii U/3DS (?) games to the new platform, but it doesn't explicitly state backwards compatibility so it's likely a way to sell you your older games on the new platform.

Unless they mean ports as in ports of PS4/XBone games, like Tomb Raider or AssCreed.

I'm so sick of people treating x86 as some sort of silver bullet without understanding what it actually means.

An equally powerful ARM based CPU would be just as good.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Xbox One has BC with thier ppc last gen platform. Limited, sure, but it's there.

EDIT. Yep. You are right.

From what the OP said. It doesn't sounds like NX is going to be a powerhouse. I doubt it will have the power to emulate WiiU.

Davey Cakes

Would something like mario maker work if the second screen was your tablet?
Well, there's nothing that Mario Maker requires that a regular tablet wouldn't. Things like buttons and a resistive screen aren't absolutely necessary, just nice for a game like that.

I think Nintendo is going to pull the reverse of what they did with Wii U. They'll continue to support two-screen games but will give the player options as to what screen they can use.

This way, it's like if the Wii U released with the Gamepad as optional, which is clearly what a lot of people would have preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom