• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regular New 3DS vs. New 3DS XL?

I bought the regular sized N3DS and I have to say I am starting to regret it. I had the N3DS XL and though the pixel density/faceplates/smaller form factor would be my preference.

Well, I was wrong.

What issues are you having with yours?

I think it's just the overall feel and screen size. I didn't think I would miss the extra screen real estate as much as I do. Also, I find the smaller form factor harder to hold. I tend to cramp up a lot more. I have fairly small hands so I was expecting the experience to be more comfortable.

I think it's just the overall feel and screen size. I didn't think I would miss the extra screen real estate as much as I do. Also, I find the smaller form factor harder to hold. I tend to cramp up a lot more. I have fairly small hands so I was expecting the experience to be more comfortable.

I'm semi-OK with the screen size vs the 3DS XL, even though I'd prefer the larger screens. My issue is my hands start to really cramp up. Guess we are having similar issues. What do you plan to do?

I hope the manager at Gamestop is cool and lets me exchange this for the new 3DS XL.

I'm semi-OK with the screen size vs the 3DS XL, even though I'd prefer the larger screens. My issue is my hands start to really cramp up. Guess we are having similar issues. What do you plan to do?

I hope the manager at Gamestop is cool and lets me exchange this for the new 3DS XL.

I don't know yet. I might just stick it out at this point and see what next gen has to offer.

lights

How long have you had the regular. Perhaps you'll eventually get used to the screen size.

I bought the Pokémon n3DS and moved over from my n3DSXL. No regrets. LOVE the cover plates (I've actually gone completely overboard with the). Here's a screen comparison from a spot pass after I transferred. HDR makes the n3DS colors look off

5wATJlv.jpg

The screen is notably sharper on the regular and its fed lighter and fits into a pocket easily. Word of advice though, some faceplates scratch/scuff easily do I actually got a nice TPU cover from Amazon Japsn since they ship worldwide now.

The pixel density is clearly sharper on the regular, but the XL seems to have better color. Maybe it is the angle

phanphare

Banned
I've gone from a launch 3DS, to an XL, to regular n3DS, and the n3DS is hands down the best one to go for, a perfect balance of screen size to pixel density, and the smaller size and lower weight make it the most comfortable to play for any extended period of time.

Plus, SNES coloured face buttons and cover plates put it up there with the OLED Vita looks wise! It's just a damned sexy little system and easily the best handheld Nintendo has ever made for my money.

all of this

I don't know yet. I might just stick it out at this point and see what next gen has to offer.

I got lucky, the store manager at the GS I went to allowed me to return it. Though I had to get everything put on to a GS gift card which was a fair compromise. They were out of the Hyrule Edition XL, so I have to go to another GS to get it later tonight. I still feel like in many ways the n3DS is the better machine, just wish it was a bit bigger but not as obnoxiously large like the XL. Too bad it wasn't more comfortable for my hands, I really think the faceplates is a neat idea.

TheFuzz

Figured this thread could do with a bump because of the "wide" release of this bad boy at the end of next week.

super-mario-3d-land-edition-new-nintendo-3ds.jpg

I really want to hear any impressions of those who made the switch who haven't commented. I personally will be doing this so thoughts are definitely appreciated.

Synless

I have owned every version of the 3ds (OG, XL, 2ds, N3DSXL, and RN3DS). My favorite version is definitely the Regular N3DS. My cons with the XL are the weight and shit pixel density. The large screen is nice, but that doesn't mean much when it is a mess IQ wise. I also like how I can customize the RN3DS with faceplates.

TheFuzz

I have owned every version of the 3ds (OG, XL, 2ds, N3DSXL, and RN3DS). My favorite version is definitely the Regular N3DS. My cons with the XL are the weight and shit pixel density. The large screen is nice, but that doesn't mean much when it is a mess IQ wise. I also like how I can customize the RN3DS with faceplates.

Is the hinge/build quality any better than the nXL?

Top Bottom