• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: 90% of Google Play Revenue come from Games, Japan #1 by Revenue.

coldone

Any data about the Indie/Steam market place. We have three camps now

Indie/MMO(mainly PC) vs AAA (mainly console) vs Mobile (Few guys make most of the money).

Just based on NPD and Famitsu data, Console market should be substantially larger than mobile market.

I wonder when the puzzles vs dragons model will die down in asia. (Pokemon bejeweled with gambling)

Not in a long time since the model has been around for over a decade and nearing 2. (F2P MMO's with atrocious pricing in Asia have been around since Lineage 1 - 1998)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
So 98% of revenue are from f2p game dosn't this mean people want traditionnal games on consoles that's why i don't think Smartphones are the reasons for the bad home consoles sales

I don't think it should be read as such

Game Guru

Can someone describe how this works, like, you win a prize you take it where>?

You take your pachinko balls and exchange them for prizes or tokens and then you leave the pachinko parlor to sell those prizes to a place that is legally a separate business from the parlor but probably owned by the same company. Basically imagine a ticket redemption place where you trade your tickets in for a prize and then sell that prize in a separate building close to the ticket redemption place.

Avixph

You take your pachinko balls and exchange them for prizes or tokens and then you leave the pachinko parlor to sell those prizes to a place that is legally a separate business from the parlor but probably owned by the same company. Basically imagine a ticket redemption place where you trade your tickets in for a prize and then sell that prize in a separate building close to the ticket redemption place.
So just like in the older Pokémon games?

numble

Yeah. Just checking the Aussie store, in the top 50 grossing apps only minecraft and the lego marvel game are not free. And the lego game is highest at #28.

Same thing

http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/top/?device=iphone

Minecraft is the only paid app charting in top grossing chart.

The top paid games make a lot of money, too. Oceanhorn made back it's budget in less than a week. Telltale games make a lot of money. Just looking at top grossing doesn't make too much sense, they represent the most money at over $1 million/day, but that doesn't mean doing a fraction of that is too shabby either. You can be out of the top 10 grossing and still be making over $45,000/day. The App Store is at over $10 billion/year. Plenty of room for revenue even if you aren't making $350 million/year like the top grossing game.

I used to feel like I and Japanese gamers were alike. Now I can't help but look down on their taste for smartphone games. I suspect a few who used to flat out worship Japanese gaming culture will flat out be turned off by this and I don't blame them. I just can't relate to smartphone gamers on any level.

wsippel

Banned
I wouldn't put too much faith in App Annie statistics, I consider them the VG Chartz of the mobile space. Either way, with the EU seeking to curb freemium on smartphones, at least 4 and 5 should vanish from their list soon enough. And publishers exploit the concept so heavily that it's probably only a matter of time until other countries follow suit.

Dat Love Live. Game is really fun though.

aSVN3DS.png

darkwing

The top paid games make a lot of money, too. Oceanhorn made back it's budget in less than a week. Telltale games make a lot of money. Just looking at top grossing doesn't make too much sense, they represent the most money at over $1 million/day, but that doesn't mean doing a fraction of that is too shabby either. You can be out of the top 10 grossing and still be making over $45,000/day. The App Store is at over $10 billion/year. Plenty of room for revenue even if you aren't making $350 million/year like the top grossing game.

basically this, no wonder Japan developers are dropping console games

Top Bottom