• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone summarize why this thread is 300 pages

tumblr_lznlek5zyL1qdes1mo1_500.gif

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
You know, if people keep up the pee thing and the pee gifs and all that for months he's going to go even more crazy.

It's going to be awesome.

Xtyle

I don't know how respected MSNBC is on here but I find this Morning Joe (1/16/17) points out all the issues of Trump and gives us a good picture of the months a head of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxc8HWfFsgY

My prediction is regardless of what comes out of the dossier/Russia investigation, they will get rid of Trump soon because he's not functional as the top guy, period.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't know how respected MSNBC is on here but I find this Morning Joe (1/16/17) points out all the issues of Trump and gives us a good picture of the months a head of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxc8HWfFsgY

My prediction is regardless of what comes out of the dossier/Russia investigation, they will get rid of Trump soon because he's not functional as the top guy, period.

I still think that anyone who thinks the GOP will get rid of their own candidate is deluding themselves. They will not risk the damage to the party, no matter what comes any (probably half assed) investigations.

Xtyle

I still think that anyone who thinks the GOP will get rid of their own candidate is deluding themselves. They will not risk the damage to the party, no matter what comes any (probably half assed) investigations.

They will if he can't function and we clearly have already seen that every day.

Trouble

Banned

There is a point at which it damages the party more not to remove him. Who know if it ever reaches that point, though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Really was expecting this story to develop into something further. Have we gotten any updates on an investigation?

For all of Trump's incompetence in most things, he is an absolute master of manipulating the Press. Politicians will study him as a Master Class in manipulation.

You think this John Lewis thing is a coincidence? His rants about SNL? It's a distraction. This Russian scandal is off front pages. Replaced by news about him continuing to complain about a TV show, and news that he's insulting a hero. Both things he's done before. It gets him bad press that has no impact on him, and the Russian thing is now forgotten by most.

Xtyle

For all of Trump's incompetence in most things, he is an absolute master of manipulating the Press. Politicians will study him as a Master Class in manipulation.

You think this John Lewis thing is a coincidence? His rants about SNL? It's a distraction. This Russian scandal is off front pages. Replaced by news about him continuing to complain about a TV show, and news that he's insulting a hero. Both things he's done before. It gets him bad press that has no impact on him, and the Russian thing is now forgotten by most.

True
Not sure how long that will work though as it will pile up.
Using your example, when there are new developments on the Russia investigation, it will go on front page.

And I am not sure it's been forgotten because he recently just tweeted about it attacking the IC again, and also bringing Russia to upfront with the sanctions.

So yes, you are right but again, hard to see it working out long for him especially now the media knows his pattern and strategy.

The press forgets about things even without fresh scandal. He naturally creates new scandals at a somewhat even rate, only slowed when the staff hinders his communication, which they no longer have reason to do. At least the Lewis comment sprang from the intelligence briefings, though that probably has been lost in the mix for many.

These things take time

Reading these political threads I sometimes wonder how the average person out there thinks investigations and politics works. If 24 hours pass without something dramatic happening, there's inevitably going to be a bunch of people here complaining that the whole thing is fizzling down. Are people really that impatient? There was a huge influx of news regarding this case during the weekend, and yet people act as if the whole thing stopped up.

I think maybe the entertainment industry has fucked up people's expectations of the news world.

Shadybiz

Reading these political threads I sometimes wonder how the average person out there thinks investigations and politics works. If 24 hours pass without something dramatic happening, there's inevitably going to be a bunch of people here complaining that the whole thing is fizzling down. Are people really that impatient? There was a huge influx of news regarding this case during the weekend, and yet people act as if the whole thing stopped up.

I think maybe the entertainment industry has fucked up people's expectations of the news world.

Yeah agreed, this is a serious investigation...it's not a season of "24." This shit takes time...a little patience is needed.

True, but people are also accustomed to the breakneck pace of the campaign (which still seemed to last a decade.) That was driven by the whims of a madman though, not fact-checking and bureaucratic process.

ezekial45

Banned

I would think that keeping Trump would damage the party if/when more of the leaks and details of his Russian involvement are revealed. This isn't going to stop, and even when Trump's approval rating is at the lowest for any incoming President, and how much damage he causes with his twitter, I would think that the GOP will realize that he's damaging them by simply being there.

So I do think they'll go for it when they can.

ZOONAMI

Well, hopefully not the IC.

But yeah the press swallows this shit up way too easily and leaves important shit in the dust.

Inner circle trump Russian connections were reported on in October but then seemingly dropped by the organizations reporting them, thus completely dropped by most of the public.

Steel

Banned
Sorry for not scanning this huge thread, but I want to know.

What, if anything, from this report has managed to be confirmed?

That Obama and Trump were indeed briefed about the report, that the person who made the report is an ex-MI6 agent who also broke the FIFA corruption scandal. That the FBI chose not to investigate it till McCain got the report and prodded them to investigate it. That the Senate is opening its own investigation into the issue.

Beyond that, it's still wait and see.

antonz

Exactly and he openly stated as much in an interview
With Twitter, “I can go bing bing bing and … they put it on and as soon as I tweet it out,” he said about the media’s compulsion to give his every tweet the “Breaking News” treatment.

That Obama and Trump were indeed briefed about the report, that the person who made the report is an ex-MI6 agent who also broke the FIFA corruption scandal. That the FBI chose not to investigate it till McCain got the report and prodded them to investigate it. That the Senate is opening its own investigation into the issue.

Beyond that, it's still wait and see.

Sigh. None of that has to do with the contents.

So fuck all still.

Damn. Nothing will come of this except fucking gifs.

BowieZ

Banned

So fuck all still.

Anyone who can corroborate anything substantial in the report is now the most wanted person in the world.

It's not necessarily as straightforward as "it would have come out by now".

Steel

Banned

So fuck all still.

Hard to say. If they already had some of the report conclusively proven, then he would've been in jail before the leak. Investigations of this sort take time.

So fuck all still.

Opening up NSA to share data with the rest of intelligence agencies should be a big help. Hope they find something, but at this point I feel he is definitely taking office on Friday.

MarionCB

People are too impatient--with good reason, sure--but this will takes months at least. It could be years. Watergate took a year and it was simple compared to this; just the international nature of this one alone makes it more complicated. The best sources on this are in Russia for a start; everyone was in the US and accessible for Watergate.

Someone made the point earlier, but even if they have already found hard evidence, it wouldn't surprise me if they are working out what to do and taking it slowly. Think about it all being true with certainty for a moment: The Russians installed one of their agents into the Presidency after hacking his political rivals alongside a massive disinformation and propaganda campaign aimed at the US to get him elected. (We only know this is half-true at the moment).

This would be an act of war, surely? How to even respond to that? At the very least, cutting all ties with Russia, withdrawing all diplomacy and Cold War 2; at the worst, an active state of war between the US and Russia.

So, if they do find hard evidence, they won't rush outside shouting it to the hills just to have all hell break loose. We may not know until weeks or even months later, depending on the course of action.

Unless Buzzfeed finds it first, heh.

Anyone who can corroborate anything substantial in the report is now the most wanted person in the world.

With the amount of mysterious deaths lately, it's possible they are already dead.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
For the people thinking the gop would never remove one of their own; remember that they wont be keen on letting trump remove sanctions, and he will certainly attempt to.
If there is one issue that could make the gop do it, it is this russia thing. If they don't ( and a lot of them wouldn't) do it, then it will ruin the reputation of the gop, not to mention cause infighting - which the democrats can use to their advantage.

At the end of the day, he has to go for their own good. If they don't, the gop is actually destroyed. Not in the public's mind, but in politics. No intelligence agency will want to be as open to the gop as they used to. No foreign country will rely on it or believe it's promises.

BowieZ

Banned
With the amount of mysterious deaths lately, it's possible they are already dead.
Exactly. This hypothetical 'most wanted person in the world' will surely be taking extremely cautious steps to ensure their safety.

The question is, who would have what information, and how far away are they from a guaranteed safety net?

I'm surprised there's no publicised international monetary reward for someone to come forward with relevant incriminating information.

Just reiterating though that this is all hypothetical. If there's no dirt on Trump, I'd be the first person to be relieved.

People are too impatient--with good reason, sure--but this will takes months at least. It could be years. Watergate took a year and it was simple compared to this; just the international nature of this one alone makes it more complicated. The best sources on this are in Russia for a start; everyone was in the US and accessible for Watergate.

Someone made the point earlier, but even if they have already found hard evidence, it wouldn't surprise me if they are working out what to do and taking it slowly. Think about it all being true with certainty for a moment: The Russians installed one of their agents into the Presidency after hacking his political rivals alongside a massive disinformation and propaganda campaign aimed at the US to get him elected. (We only know this is half-true at the moment).

This would be an act of war, surely? How to even respond to that? At the very least, cutting all ties with Russia, withdrawing all diplomacy and Cold War 2; at the worst, an active state of war between the US and Russia.

So, if they do find hard evidence, they won't rush outside shouting it to the hills just to have all hell break loose. We may not know until weeks or even months later, depending on the course of action.

Unless Buzzfeed finds it first, heh.

Its pretty much my biggest worry. Unfortunately I don't think there is any easy way out of this mess. I also read somewhere that speculated the IC could have already had enough suspicion and evidence in the run up to the election, but because it was widely expected Hillary would win anyway, they waited. So when Trump was elected it has presumably thrown their plans into disarray.

I still can't fathom his attacks on the CIA and the intelligence community. Isn't that suicidal? I was under the impression that the CIA's enemies disappear.

norinrad

For the people thinking the gop would never remove one of their own; remember that they wont be keen on letting trump remove sanctions, and he will certainly attempt to.
If there is one issue that could make the gop do it, it is this russia thing. If they don't ( and a lot of them wouldn't) do it, then it will ruin the reputation of the gop, not to mention cause infighting - which the democrats can use to their advantage.

At the end of the day, he has to go for their own good. If they don't, the gop is actually destroyed. Not in the public's mind, but in politics. No intelligence agency will want to be as open to the gop as they used to. No foreign country will rely on it or believe it's promises.

What the DNC needs is a good PR firm to help them communicate their messages. They seem to be always caught with the pants down.

This is like your neighbor, not really bright but its hard to convince him something is good for him no matter how hard you try until you manage to show him how certain policies are really going affect him and will continue to affect him in the future.

daxy

If the buck doesn't stop at supporting blatant racism, discrimination, misogyny, and corrupt conflicts of interest, then I don't think 'working with the Rooskies' will be difficult to swallow.

So we're just going to ignore the fact Trump tweeted about the Russian leaks almost immediately, making the situation blow up more?

There's no distractions. There's been several times that Trump's tweeting has escalated a situation or been side-by-side with a controversy. For example, his feud with the Khans was something that probably wouldn't have blown like it did if Trump didn't go after them so hard. You pick and chosr times where it seems like he's distracting without realizing that well before he was President he showed a hyper active attention span. It's all over the place, because all over the place he is getting criticized, and he has to run wherever anyone is saying bad things about him to whine. Thats the only real pattern. The reason the Russian thing ia being talked aboit now is there's nothing all that new to talk about, and Congress isn't doing enough publically to keep talk up about it.

This would actually be easy: Trump has given them an easy out with his unapologetic refusal to give up his conflict of interest. They could easily find him guilty of that and frame it as him lining his own pockets. There's a very easy path to a coup to take out Trump without even mentioning Russia. And the Dems wouldn't make a peep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom