• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition on the Nintendo NA eShop this Thursday

Easily one of my favorite games of all time...

So I would need to buy a classic controller to play without waggle?? ugh...

Ōkami;193953659 said:
Best version of the game.

Compatible with the Wii Classic Controller, so it should be playable only with the gamepad.

Wii Remote+Nunchuk controls for RE4 are truly amazing. Fast. Responsive. Precise. Best controls ever for a RE game.

RootCause

It's the easiest version, thanks to the ability to aim the cursor while moving. I might pick it up down the road. I have every version of the game, can't possibly justify buying it yet again. Not for full price at least.

khaaan

Let's see.

Gamecube Original
PS2 Port
First PC port
Wii Port
PS3/360/PC port
Wii U eShop

Game has been released across three generations. Impressive.

You forgot Mobile Edition. I want to say there was a non-smart phone version of the game too.

Edit: Oh, looks like that's a video of the final boss.
EditEdit: Now a video of El Gigante. You can thank me for not being a spoiling sally of the Citizen Kane level of story telling you will experience.

Come onnnnn, 3DS/Vita port.

If it ever gets a handheld port, I'd imagine we would have to wait for the NX. Capcom wouldn't bother with the Vita and I don't think the 3DS could do a straight port justice.

It's the easiest version, thanks to the ability to aim the cursor while moving. I might pick it up down the road.

They actually adjusted enemy health and the effectiveness of headshots in the Wii version for this very reason.

Ridley327

Awesome! I misunderstood that post and thought it meant I would need a Wii CC to play this on my wii u. Thanks!

I can vouch personally for the game recognizing a CC plugged into the Wiimote at boot in the US release, so I guess you can string me up if it doesn't work!

Where's my PS4 version. Come on Capcom, it's out on almost every system known to man and ya still don't have the 60FPS HD edition for current gen?

TheMoon

Ōkami;193953659 said:
Best version of the game.

Compatible with the Wii Classic Controller, so it should be playable only with the gamepad.

I think it was confirmed NOT playable with the gamepad when it was released in Europe.

Correct. It's the one weird case where it's not compatible for some bizarre reason.

It's my least favorite version, but I wouldn't mind playing it on the Gamepad.

You can't. (unless you use a CC or Wiimote to control it of course)

Meesh

I should be in drunk gaf right now...

...but...

RE4 was my wife's dearly departed mom's favorite game. She loved watching me play it... so I'll gladly dl it again, buy some of those individually wrapped cheeses she loved, and relax with a good scotch while I play.

Long live RE, long live RE4.

antitrop

I gotta be the guy.

Never played RE4 before. Is this the best way to play it or is PS3 better?

Ultimate Evil Edition on PC is the only version of RE4 that's 60fps. It's pretty nice. It also has all the visual effects that were previously exclusive to the GameCube.

L00P

This is one of those games I don't mind getting ported over and over again. I want my grandchildren and their grandchildren to be able to play this game

The pointer aiming completely break the game from a difficulty perspective, but it makes the game just feel so damn good to play. It turns into an absolutely incredible arcade-like experience. You can pop-off headshots with ease and play through the game really quickly. And considering it's an action game, it works really well.

Oh, and Mercenaries mode becomes FANTASTIC with pointer aiming.

Wish it was a remaster

It's probably safe to say RE4 will get a remaster at some point, but not for a long time yet, seeing as how they're making plenty of of money rereleasing it over and over.

Ultimate Evil Edition on PC is the only version of RE4 that's 60fps. It's pretty nice. It also has all the visual effects that were previously exclusive to the GameCube.

And Wii no? Since that's a direct port of it, and I also recall the PS2 content included was enhanced with the GC version's assets right?

And Wii no? Since that's a direct port of it, and I also recall the PS2 content included was enhanced with the GC version's assets right?

They did work to make Assignment Ada look better with Gamecube textures, but they couldn't fix the cutscenes. It's especially bad on PC.

Also Assignment Ada is terrible still. No one fixed that.

antitrop

You're right. The Wii port does have the GameCube effects.

So yeah, the original GameCube release, Wii port, or PC Ultimate Evil Edition are definitely the way to go on RE4.

Flakster99

Best. Game. Of. All. Time.

I still have the Wii version so most likely I will not be purchasing this version of the game, yet I am absolutely thrilled to see it pushed unto newer platforms, everybody must play this masterpiece at least once in their lives.

If there is a game that deserves to be ported every single generation, it is Resident Evil 4.

Neff

I gotta be the guy.

Never played RE4 before. Is this the best way to play it or is PS3 better?

Bear in mind that the key difference -if you decide to go with Wiimote controls- is that two crucial stats (aiming speed and recoil) are instantly robbed from every single gun in the game, homogenising the entire armoury outside of stopping power, firing rate, damage and reload time. It simply makes the game effortlessly easy by disposing of the original game's sublime combat balance, and kills the awesome feeling of panic the game is famous for. The Wii version also allows for regular controls though if you have a classic controller.

Otherwise, the difference is mainly cosmetic. The PS3 version is of course much higher res, but lacks some of the graphic effects of the Wii/GC version, mostly pertaining to transparency- fog, water etc.

You can't really go wrong with either, but if you have the opportunity to play both, the PS3 version is probably best overall.

Play it with a Classic Controller first. Then play it with a Wiimote.

Why? Because the game is absolutely delicious with gamepad controls, and absolutely delicious with wiimote controls. It is truly the best game ever.

Nosgotham

Easily one of my favorite games of all time...

So I would need to buy a classic controller to play without waggle?? ugh...

IR pointing != waggle. I mean there are some waggle bits but they just replace tapping a button or swirling a stick.

IR pointing is the best way to play this game ( I think)

Neiteio

The pointer controls are a blast but kind of trivialize the game, allowing you to effortlessly shoot down incoming projectiles.

bman94

I'm glad we are getting more Digital Wii games but I guess I set my standards too high when I hoped we were getting Xenoblade when it was announced EU was getting a digital Wii game this week that we already got. I have this on 360 but never got to playing it, is this version any better?

atbigelow

I don't know why anyone would want to play this specific version with Gamepad controls. Playing this game with Wii pointer controls was one of the best gaming experiences I've had.

True Fire

I wonder when Resident Evil 4 iOS is coming out? It's only a matter of time now that Apple keeps increasing their max file size.

Wish it was a remaster

PC version when this is done

225J.jpg

RootCause

If it ever gets a handheld port, I'd imagine we would have to wait for the NX. Capcom wouldn't bother with the Vita and I don't think the 3DS could do a straight port justice.

They actually adjusted enemy health and the effectiveness of headshots in the Wii version for this very reason.
I didn't know that, but still, it felt much easier than when I played it on GC. Though that could've been the fact that I had beaten the game more than 20 times. Greatest game ever, in my opinion. A shame 5, and 6 didn't stack up.

And yes, I think the NX would have the more realistic chance at running the game without compromising the experience. Though, the vita could very well handle it.

NX, outsourced Vita port, either way someone needs to make it easier for me to play this game while I shit. My wife gets mad when I bring the laptop in the bathroom.

winjet81

I didn't know that, but still, it felt much easier than when I played it on GC. Though that could've been the fact that I had beaten the game more than 20 times. Greatest game ever, in my opinion. A shame 5, and 6 didn't stack up.

And yes, I think the NX would have the more realistic chance at running the game without compromising the experience. Though, the vita could very well handle it.

The only way Vita owners will ever be able play this game is through PS Now.

Obviously, not the definitive version, but better than nothing.

Top Bottom