• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

I loved the reveal that Granny was Eveline. Perhaps if I'd been more on the ball this would have been obvious ages ago, but when you leave the mine and bust back into the guest house basement and find the wheelchair, then the photo of Granny with E-001 on it, which you've read before right at the start of the game, but it meant nothing then and you were more concerned with Mia trying to murder you....and then you walk back through the guesthouse and see how it all played originally with Eveline in the background making Mia attack you. I thought it was really well done

It confused the shit out of me for a while until I did my 'all files' playthrough and then yeah I completely agree - good writing

Lucas's note is pretty explicit that Mia is the only one who switches back and forth (that's why he locks her into the basement). Jack is basically always full blown nutso.

I would've liked to have seen crazy Mia interact with the family.

The all play a board game or some shit and someone gets stabbed. In the head. Non-stop lolz for Evie.

bosseye

I would've liked to have seen crazy Mia interact with the family.

The all play a board game or some shit and someone gets stabbed. In the head. Non-stop lolz for Evie.

Heh. At the dinner scene when Jack for no apparent reason lops off Lucas hand with a knife and Lucas just goes "Aw man, not again!".

So we can assume Ethan is infected right? Seeing as he essentially regenerates use of his hand despite it being chainsawed off, sticks his decapitated leg back on (one of the molded in the basement cut it off, the cheeky tinker) with a splash of healing juice. Plus he can see Eveline and there is a note in the mine lab which makes reference to only infected subjects being able to see her...So is he still infected on the helicopter at the end?

Dervius

Heh. At the dinner scene when Jack for no apparent reason lops off Lucas hand with a knife and Lucas just goes "Aw man, not again!".

So we can assume Ethan is infected right? Seeing as he essentially regenerates use of his hand despite it being chainsawed off, sticks his decapitated leg back on (one of the molded in the basement cut it off, the cheeky tinker) with a splash of healing juice. Plus he can see Eveline and there is a note in the mine lab which makes reference to only infected subjects being able to see her...So is he still infected on the helicopter at the end?

I thought that all of those infected by Evie are "cured" when she dies?

Foffy

Banned
I liked the story, but I am left with a few questions.

- Is the protagonist in Beginning Hour just a nameless escapee? I assumed it was Clancy until I played the main game, and well..that can't be him. ;)
- How does Peter Walken die? Does he die in the DLC or that PS4-exclusive KITCHEN demo?
- Was Ethan infected by Eveline early on? One of the files in the game brought up that those linked to the E-Series host had regenerative properties, as Ethan gets full use of his severed arm (and leg, if you experienced this easter egg) as well as images of young Eveline. I originally assumed first aids had superpowers in the series.
- Expanding on this, there was no cure given to Ethan throughout the game. Is it fair to say he's still contaminated in the ending? What of Mia, as if you try to save her, she is once again under the control of Eveline. Is she reinfected?
- I'm not too versed on RE lore, but Umbrella Corps is not Umbrella, yes? They're just mercs that hunt B.O.W.s post RE5? I assume Redfield is a codename. I know next to nothing of the fictional universe past RE5, so I'm not even sure if Umbrella has core figures still alive at this point in the series.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorta surprised people are so down on the ship sections, I thought it was just as atmospheric as the mansion settings, particularly with the "old tape" offering some before-and-after reference.

On the whole, I really liked it, even if I still don't think Capcom have a clue how to put together a memorable boss-fight. They need to work on the structure and signposting of these encounters without turning them into full-on QTE-fests. Marguerite and mutant Jack were decent enough I suppose, but the two constrained environment encounters in the house are just sloppy and the while the finale is visually impressive, meh.

PR_rambo

Banned
I hope he stays forever in limbo with all the shitty RE characters

dPJpYxv.gif

Sorta surprised people are so down on the ship sections, I thought it was just as atmospheric as the mansion settings, particularly with the "old tape" offering some before-and-after reference.

On the whole, I really liked it, even if I still don't think Capcom have a clue how to put together a memorable boss-fight. They need to work on the structure and signposting of these encounters without turning them into full-on QTE-fests. Marguerite and mutant Jack were decent enough I suppose, but the two constrained environment encounters in the house are just sloppy and the while the finale is visually impressive, meh.

The ship is plenty atmospheric, it's just a slog to play through because of all the combat and lacks puzzles or any sort of fun set pieces (like a stalker, or a boss fight) to break it up. Plus the dull industrial steel of the area all starts to blend together after a while; it doesn't have any of the artistic flourishes that make the Baker estate so appealing.

duder92

Neo Member
I'm about half way through my madhouse run and it dawned on me that I didnt grab the coin from the first tape in the guest house (also didnt get the tape)

Is there anyway to get this later or am I screwed?

Apart from the final boss I'd put these bosses up as the best in the series alongside RE4. I thought they were really good, and contained a lot of cinematic flourishes and gimmicks to make them stand apart but keep you in full control, offering little tweaks on the mechanics and offering a surprising amount of options for how to fight them.

bosseye

I enjoyed the ship as an environment, it was very atmospheric, very cool; it just wasn't quite as compelling as the Baker properties which I felt were far more detailed and interesting and more 'Traditional Resident Evil' if that makes sense.

LifeLike

I thought that Lucas was immune to Evelyne. It means he cannot regenerate? No? Then why Jack can cut off his arm during the dinner? This is the only thing I dont really understand.

Foffy

Banned
I thought that Lucas was immune to Evelyne. It means he cannot regenerate? No? Then why Jack can cut off his arm during the dinner? This is the only thing I dont really understand.

He might have the benefit of the infection to regenerate, but not to be hooked as a "hive mind" to Eveline as a host.

I assume the serum he took helped negate that aspect of control, but still left him enough to appear as if he was under her wing as a member of her "family."

Durock

He might have the benefit of the infection to regenerate, but not to be hooked as a "hive mind" to Eveline as a host.

I assume the serum he took helped negate that aspect of control, but still left him enough to appear as if he was under her wing as a member of her "family."

He was under her control at one point. He was cured from that aspect of it by Umbrella, who he was somehow working with. His laptop when you enter the lab explains that it had been about a week since he was no longer under her control, but he was still acting as if he was. He even goes on to say that "Evelyn acts just like a child and is just as stupid as one too" lol Something like that.

As others said, he probably kept the regenerative ability as a side effect of his cure.

I enjoyed the ship as an environment, it was very atmospheric, very cool; it just wasn't quite as compelling as the Baker properties which I felt were far more detailed and interesting and more 'Traditional Resident Evil' if that makes sense.

For sure - by it's very nature a ship like that is not going to have a lot of nooks and crannies to explore compared to an old lived in house, but I think given that, the devs should have re-considered it as an environment given it contrasts so sharply with the house. I definitely agree it was atmospheric and scary, it just gets monotonous after a while.

These are parts where I had to use a walkthrough:

Birthday Cake (stupid water to clean the scope).

Finding the Fuse on the ship for the elevator (you had to take out one you used for a door - it wouldn't cross my mind to do that).

I'm sure I have another but can't remember.

Jack gets inside the car himself eventually if you don't.

If there ever was a boss fight with him just trolling because of his regenerative powers that would be it.

"wher u @ bwoy" (tanks shots)
"u seen this shit bwoy" (drives car around on fire)
"check this out bwoy" (shoots himself)

I'm like. . . k

YBTHMd0.gif

Dervius

For sure - by it's very nature a ship like that is not going to have a lot of nooks and crannies to explore compared to an old lived in house, but I think given that, the devs should have re-considered it as an environment given it contrasts so sharply with the house. I definitely agree it was atmospheric and scary, it just gets monotonous after a while.

Resi games have some fairly iconic environments. Mansions, Mines, Ships, Industrial Facilities, High-tech facilities.

I was actually very surprised to enter the ship after the first environment and enjoyed it for the most part. I agree it can feel a little sparse though.

Manu

I was finally able to beat chainsaw Jack and made it to the trailer in Madhouse. Surprised to find the grenade launcher there.

Foffy

Banned
He was under her control at one point. He was cured from that aspect of it by Umbrella, who he was somehow working with. His laptop when you enter the lab explains that it had been about a week since he was no longer under her control, but he was still acting as if he was. He even goes on to say that "Evelyn acts just like a child and is just as stupid as one too" lol Something like that.

As others said, he probably kept the regenerative ability as a side effect of his cure.

Are we sure it's Umbrella? I thought Mia worked for Tentsu, and presumably, the only people who should know of the E-Series is Tenstu and the Umbrella Corps.

I assume Redfield deals with Lucas in that upcoming DLC, as he appears to be the only surviving Baker. Didn't he also make his way to the salt mine near the end of the game, too?

I loved the reveal that Granny was Eveline. Perhaps if I'd been more on the ball this would have been obvious ages ago, but when you leave the mine and bust back into the guest house basement and find the wheelchair, then the photo of Granny with E-001 on it, which you've read before right at the start of the game, but it meant nothing then and you were more concerned with Mia trying to murder you....and then you walk back through the guesthouse and see how it all played originally with Eveline in the background making Mia attack you. I thought it was really well done

Yep, it was very well done!

I loved when Mia 'attacks' you again at the Guest House and you can see Eveline controlling her.

The music that played gave me so many feels! It gave off a huge sense of tragedy as you looked at the situation in a completely different way.

Being back at the Guest House at the very end of the game with all the answers opposed to not having a clue about anything at the start of the game in the Guest House was expertly done! It actually made me feel nostalgic when it all came full circle.

myco666

I don't like how you basically have to go through the area twice. Old Tape also feels like it constantly pauses your progress with the 'phone calls' from Alan. Machine gun is also awful and you are stuck with it for the whole section.

I was pretty disappointed with the final boss fight.

I had such an arsenal the fight lasted 10 seconds.

It is really bad. You don't even get to shoot it with rocket launcher.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Apart from the final boss I'd put these bosses up as the best in the series alongside RE4. I thought they were really good, and contained a lot of cinematic flourishes and gimmicks to make them stand apart but keep you in full control, offering little tweaks on the mechanics and offering a surprising amount of options for how to fight them.

I'd agree with you except the scarcity of ammo combined with their close-quarter nature actively discourages you from experimenting too much. The whole point of survival horror is victory whilst being mindful of, and economical with, resources.

Once you know where everything is and how the battles play out, its a whole different experience to coming in cold - which (for me at least) basically boiled down to not even trying to win, just running around and healing and shooting a lot whilst figuring out what and where everything is. All the while a nagging voice at the back of my mind wondering if survival drained of meds/ammo would actually be worse than death.

It pulled me out of the game because far from making me fearful, it just kinda irritated me knowing that I was gonna be looking at a loading screen in the very near future. It baffles me that people design these cinematic style encounters but make it a practical certainty that its not going to flow in any way because first time its basically pure trial-and-error with minimal time to soak up the environment.

Dervius

I'd agree with you except the scarcity of ammo combined with their close-quarter nature actively discourages you from experimenting too much. The whole point of survival horror is victory whilst being mindful of, and economical with, resources.

Once you know where everything is and how the battles play out, its a whole different experience to coming in cold - which (for me at least) basically boiled down to not even trying to win, just running around and healing and shooting a lot whilst figuring out what and where everything is. All the while a nagging voice at the back of my mind wondering if survival drained of meds/ammo would actually be worse than death.

It pulled me out of the game because far from making me fearful, it just kinda irritated me knowing that I was gonna be looking at a loading screen in the very near future. It baffles me that people design these cinematic style encounters but make it a practical certainty that its not going to flow in any way because first time its basically pure trial-and-error with minimal time to soak up the environment.

I can understand your criticisms, but this is in part dependent on how you approach the game anyway. The same argument could be applied to any new area, why go in cold and risk all of your resources when you could just rush in, look around then reload the checkpoint without losing anything?

Perhaps this is mitigated more on Madhouse when saves are less plentiful, but forcing yourself to continue despite mistakes you've made is part of the experience for me. Boss fights are also built upon that scramble to figure out whats going on whilst being pursued / attacked. If you purposely don't engage in the fight and simply use it to figure out whats happening (which is a legitimate gaming strategy) you diminish the survival part of the game, but essentially by your own doing.

Durock

Are we sure it's Umbrella? I thought Mia worked for Tentsu, and presumably, the only people who should know of the E-Series is Tenstu and the Umbrella Corps.

I assume Redfield deals with Lucas in that upcoming DLC, as he appears to be the only surviving Baker. Didn't he also make his way to the salt mine near the end of the game, too?

You're right. He was working with Tentsu. Did it show where Redfield went? I think that's a pretty safe assumption to make though.

I dunno, on normal the resources are pretty generous, and on madhouse you know what to expect (and have more powerful post game gear). I don't think its really trial and error at all because the fights are rooted in the base mechanics. Block to avoid damage, attack to expose weakpoint etc. For example the first Jack boss fight you can beat it without using the car at all, and the second you don't need to use chainsaw. But those methods reward the investigative player who can scan an environment under pressure, which is a skill the game builds up through most of the standard encounters.

Zomba13

I also like that you can't attack Eveline. Like at first you think "oh, she is just an old lady and the game doesn't want me to attack her because she is a non-aggressive NPC" but by the end it can also be that you can't attack her because of the link thing. Ethan physically can't harm her because of the control she has on him.

Dervius

I also like that you can't attack Eveline. Like at first you think "oh, she is just an old lady and the game doesn't want me to attack her because she is a non-aggressive NPC" but by the end it can also be that you can't attack her because of the link thing. Ethan physically can't harm her because of the control she has on him.

I dig this theory alot.

Kazuhira

Still wondering why that pic of the family in Lucas' puzzle room has old Evie when Lucas and Zoe are still kids.
Also,Jack has all the swag with that suit and his dog.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I dunno, on normal the resources are pretty generous, and on madhouse you know what to expect (and have more powerful post game gear). I don't think its really trial and error at all because the fights are rooted in the base mechanics. Block to avoid damage, attack to expose weakpoint etc. For example the first Jack boss fight you can beat it without using the car at all, and the second you don't need to use chainsaw. But those methods reward the investigative player who can scan an environment under pressure, which is a skill the game builds up through most of the standard encounters.

Its funny, by the end of my initial, normal, run I'd agree 100% with you that resources are super generous, but the first half of the game, I felt I was on a pretty tight leash, even being careful not to waste ammo.

I suspect its just a matter of how fast you get comfortable with the controls and mechanics; would also explain how I liked the ship more than most as by that point I was feeling a lot more competent and confident in my ability to deal with enemies.

Foffy

Banned
You're right. He was working with Tentsu. Did it show where Redfield went? I think that's a pretty safe assumption to make though.

They just flew off, IIRC. I would have to imagine Redfield and Umbrella Corps are heading to that location because Lucas is talking to the outside world about Eveline. They had a trace there to find Eveline.

I mean they set up that the Bakers had kidnapped a lot of people, but you never see any of them - barely even any bodies. The molded are just some mass of goop made out of Eveline residue, or something, so where are all the people they 'turned'?

I thought the Molded are the people they turned.

I got that from the fact that the Cop is changing while Jack says he's going to help, and from the guy in the incinerator room who was put in as plain ole Travis but came out as the first stronger-than-normal Molded.

I thought the Molded are the people they turned.

I got that from the fact that the Cop is changing while Jack says he's going to help, and from the guy in the incinerator room who was put in as plain ole Travis but came out as the first stronger-than-normal Molded.

Seems to be a bit of both. Infected people can turn into Molded like Jack does in his boss fight, or examples like "Travis" and the deputy. However, it seems like Eveline can also create Molded out of that black biomass she creates as she does on the ship.

Did my under 4 hour run (well just under 3 in the end). Just like classic Resi's, its crazy how fast you can clear through sections when on the run (at least when you have the Albert). Probably the only game I've completed 3 times in the space of a week since ...... 15 years ago ? This game man ......

Spinky

Anyone know what this is supposed to say?

"Every time I look at the ? I see ded ?(bodies?)"

2hX7rFI.jpg

It's in Lucas' room, crappy screenshot since PS4 condenses it, though.

EDIT: Wait, is it "river"?

2 things.

Hallucinations caused by Evie, despite Mia being grabbed by the arm on the ship and leaving clear marks on the arm (and still saying fucking hallucinations). What gives ?

In the black goo sit down with Jack, anyone think it looked a bit odd when he put his hand on Zoe's leg, she seemed to get creeped out, hold her arm and step up to walk away quickly .... very distant. I can't be the only one who saw that and thought "ey up ?"

Although it did seem Jack thought Lucas was a good, non killing non psycho boy .......

Foffy

Banned
Anyone know what this is supposed to say?

"Every time I look at the ? I see ded ?(bodies?)"

2hX7rFI.jpg

It's in Lucas' room, crappy screenshot since PS4 condenses it, though.

EDIT: Wait, is it "river"?

Every time I look at the river I look for ded bodies?

I have a new question to ask. Is Ethan the same Ethan W. mentioned in an Umbrella document in RE5? Also, apparently Umbrella Corps (the game)
implied Wesker exists again?

Enlil

What bothered me the most was that is was repetitive. If they added insane puzzles then it would be a cool place. Or even traps would do it. But yeah good game.

Truant

So... Just to sum things up for myself.

Umbrella(?) creates a BOW that can mind control humans, they shape it into the form of a little girl. Eveline was the fifth version, or at least the fifth iteration (could be several A's etc). The other ones were the creepy fetus in the box, as well as the corpse in the old house that you get the arm from.

Anyway, they do this on a research ship so presumably escape any ethical issues (like Umbrella(?) would care?). Eveline escapes her captivity and causes the ship to crash not too far from the Baker plantation. She survives and starts influencing the Bakers with her family cravings, and they start kidnapping people to turn them into molded.

Things get a little unclear from here, imo. The flashback states that the Bakers (except Lucas who was bad from the start and killed a kid before the Eveline stuff happened) are kind and normal people that do the awful shit because Eveline has them under her mind control spell. I also got the sense that the Bakers were trying to rid themselves of Eveline during their sane moments, but not sure how. Also, why are they bothering with creating Molded if Eveline did it just by coming in contact with living hosts?

Umbrella(?) presumably contacts Lucas and helps him get get free from the mind control. They seemingly work together to kill her, or at least contain her.

Also, why did Eveline turn into an old lady when Umbrella(?) created her with the image of a young girl? There's no explanation for this at all in the game. It's a great twist, but she didn't age naturally. Otherwise Mia would have been old as fuck.

Spinky

Also, why did Eveline turn into an old lady when Umbrella(?) created her with the image of a young girl? There's no explanation for this at all in the game.

There was a file (think it was a file, anyway) that said she aged rapidly after taking residence at the Bakers' because she wasn't able to get her regular medication. Twenty-five times the usual rate, I think.

Perineum

This game has a lot of loose narrative that we all hope DLC clears up.

There is one thing that I doubt the game will ever explain that doesn't make sense to me.

Mia wears that watch on the boat past to communicate with Allen. Ethan gets it put on his wrist after his hand is stapled on presumably by Zoe.

A) Why does she have one? (maybe it is Mia's old one sure)
B) Why put it on him? How do they even know what it does?
C) At various points it updates and receives data it seems. Who is it communicating with? Not Zoe, because she calls you to chat.
D) At the ending before you pick up the Albert, "chris" tells you to use it through the watch.

We are never told who Ethan is talking to at the start of the game either, are we?

Could it be possible that Ethan was jebaited to go there and he wasn't some "normal" guy like Capcom wanted us to believe? Maybe he is an ex Umbrella employee or Tricell or something, and hence his idgaf about BOWs all game attitude.

So if he was baited to go there, then someone was in cahoots with Umbrella or "Chris" to put this watch on him so they can monitor all this. Ethan was some kind of experiment. I mean hell if the good guys knew about what was going on at this house they would've lit it up LONG ago. They only show up towards the end.

The photo that we see in the demo and is in the full game of a chopper with the Umbrella logo "are they watching us from above?" or whatever indicates that the experimenting and research changed and advanced to letting Eveline do whatever she wants until Ethan screws it all up in the end.

Also, to the person who was saying that Lucas blew up the ship. No way. If you rewatch that animated in game engine scene where Mia will fall off the ship into the water, you clearly see Eveline is mentally pushing that hallway of the ship outwards and ripping it apart herself. She clearly tore the ship up. It also begs the question then why didn't she just tear Ethan apart? I mean that soldier who rushes down the hall gets vaporized mentally by her. My only guess there is as she has aged her mental powers weaken.

Are there just two tapes in the main game? Mia and Happy Birthday?

4 tapes.

Clancy tape (the one that's also in the demo), Mia, Happy Birthday, and then the mandatory one of Mia on the ship before it explodes.

I think they could have done a lot more with the tapes tbh. Kinda disappointed with that aspect.

4 tapes.

Clancy tape (the one that's also in the demo), Mia, Happy Birthday, and then the mandatory one of Mia on the ship before it explodes.

I think they could have done a lot more with the tapes tbh. Kinda disappointed with that aspect.

I was excited after the demo because of the potential of altering the present through the tapes (unlocking the drawer in the past to get the axe). They sort of do that with the Happy Birthday tape, but Lucas not reacting to you getting both locks instantly was kind of a bummer.

I guess you can do that with the ship tape too. Unlock the boxes with the remote mines in the past, and then use them in the present. Haven't tried it myself, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

There was a file (think it was a file, anyway) that said she aged rapidly after taking residence at the Bakers' because she wasn't able to get her regular medication. Twenty-five times the usual rate, I think.

That spoiled the twist for me, shortly after you read that note you run into the wheelchair (with no one in it) and I was like "Oh..." The actual injection scene was still pretty good though. Maybe it wasn't that same file, but one said something along the lines of "Eveline looks a lot older at times"

lome88

4 tapes.

I feel the opposite, actually. They all have a purpose for folks at that exact point in the game and, with the exception of the clancy one, never outstay their welcome. If there were any more tapes the entire game would no longer be a surprise and you'd know roughly the layout of the whole game before you got there.

Top Bottom