• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

That's just do to a theory that works pretty well.
Hunk would be around that age, the small views we have had of his face kinda fit, and since it's umbrella it would make sense for it to be him.

I don't think it's hunk though. I think capcom just fucked up.

Fucked up as in the helicopter should have said STARS?

Finished in 2:38, I'll take that. Also got resource manager out of the way. I decided to hold off on the healing trophy for another time lol

STARS get the odd games. Leon gets the even ones. Chris skipped his turn so he got relegated to cameo status.

Edit: Why do so many people want Chris to be Hunk. They spent way too much time building that character over multiple games for him to be another Chris.

I don't think anyone actively wants him to be Hunk, just a lot of people think this Redfield isn't the real Chris since the model and face are so different than previous ones.

Durock

I think the Resident Evil: Vendetta movie assists in cementing the theory that "Redfield" isn't Chris. Vendetta takes place on 2017 and Chris is still a member of the BSAA.

Jawmuncher

I think the Resident Evil: Vendetta movie assists in cementing the theory that "Redfield" isn't Chris. Vendetta takes place on 2017 and Chris is still a member of the BSAA.

It's send months prior to the events of RE7.
So if anything, the movie probably explains more as to why he left the BSAA.

Watching Jeff Green play this game after playing through it once myself, I definitely think the first part of the game, with the house, and Jack, and the cop, etc, are clearly the strongest parts.. It's so front loaded with cutscenes and interactions, and shocking intense moments, then as you are introduced to Momma, the game loses a bit of that and it only goes down hill from there, and fast.

Really wish they kept that style for the rest of the game, because it's awesome.

Yeah, I agree with this completely. Once you first leave the main house it kinda loses a lot of the tension

Zushin

Just killed Marguerite on Madhouse. Jesus christ, literally used every available resource and finally got her with 1 handgun bullet left. Very tough. Now I've got nothing left trying to get through the Moulded near the cops body with the key in it :S

It's send months prior to the events of RE7.
So if anything, the movie probably explains more as to why he left the BSAA.

Maybe but I'm not buying that Chris left the BSAA to go to work for Umbrella, I think it's someone else using his name. Also Umbrella are supposed to be gone (although I never truly believed that) so how are they even back ?

These are good cliffhangers to be explored in the DLC and eventually RE8.

Jawmuncher

Can you kill Jack without the car? Or is it scripted that it has to explode to knock him out?

The car has to explode.

Maybe but I'm not buying that Chris left the BSAA to go to work for Umbrella, I think it's someone else using his name. Also Umbrella are supposed to be gone (although I never truly believed that) so how are they even back ?

These are good cliffhangers to be explored in the DLC and eventually RE8.

Both the DLC and film should come out around the same time. The prior two movies have had a connection to the next game in the series (though they're usually small).
So this will probably have something. But yeah, regardless the DLC and maybe even RE8 should explore this more already.

Yeah, I agree with this completely. Once you first leave the main house it kinda loses a lot of the tension

It's really hard to maintain that tension throughout the whole game, even in older RE games. There gets to be a point where you know all of the threats, and you have enough firepower to handle it. I don't remember any tension in RE2 after the police station except for maybe when T-00 shows up in scenario B. Even Resident Evil 4 drops the ball hard on this with the regular enemies on the island (balanced out by the regenerators though)

That's why I liked the ship section basically resetting everything and making you start over with nothing. Not the most elegant way of doing it but it was a nice change.

The little spoiler the Chris is in RE7 at the end is no big deal. I haven't played it and knowing there is a connection makes me feel better but the major spoilers are the story before Chris shows up. Besides people might think that he is Chris's brother by how different he looks and sounds.

The journey is always more interesting than ending.

The little spoiler the Chris is in RE7 at the end is no big deal. I haven't played it and knowing there is a connection makes me feel better but the major spoilers are the story before Chris shows up. Besides people might think that he is Chris's brother by how different he looks and sounds.

The journey is always more interesting than ending.
Yes it is, it's literally something that happens in like the last minute. I was pissed as hell that someone in the main thread ruined it for me.

Yes it is, it's literally something that happens in like the last minute. I was pissed as hell that someone in the main thread ruined it for me.

Everyone expected a connection to the previous games. I mean, to each his own, I'm not bothered by ending spoilers. Makes the journey to meet Chris more interesting in my opinion.

Jawmuncher

It won't be a spoiler here in a few months.
Capcom isn't going to announce the DLC date/trailer and not mention you're playing as chris after all.

The car has to explode.

Both the DLC and film should come out around the same time. The prior two movies have had a connection to the next game in the series (though they're usually small).
So this will probably have something. But yeah, regardless the DLC and maybe even RE8 should explore this more already.

Would also like to explore more about Mia and who she was working for, it clearly wasn't Umbrella, as Lucas seems to be giving info to Umbrella and she had no part of that, so I'm guessing it's one of Umbrella's rivals.

Maybe Ethan secretly worked for Umbrella and that's why they helped him and picked him up at the end, plus the fact he wasn't as freaked out at some situations, like he had seen stuff like this before. A neat little hint can be seen in RE5, in the Spencer's notebook file, as the name Ethan W is listed, although he supposed to have been killed (maybe he wasn't ?) and when the chopper arrives at the end he says "The fuck, took you guys so long" like he was expecting to be rescued, despite never making a call for back up in the game.

Is the stuff in Beginning Hour canon or what? The ghost is psychotic Mia right?

Everyone expected a connection to the previous games. I mean, to each his own, I'm not bothered by ending spoilers. Makes the journey to meet Chris more interesting in my opinion.

You haven't played the game, so I'm going to spoiler tag this,
It really doesn't. The Chris thing is a throwaway cameo at the end used to hype their upcoming DLC. The Umbrella helicopter was enough of a connection.

I knew about it before playing the game and expected more than whatever THAT was.

Truant

I hope we get one more first person game in the main series, as I really feel Capcom is onto something with this game. My main criticism is that the first half was way better than the first. It was a lot of fun navigating the old houses, solving puzzles and scavenging for items.

I hope the next game takes place in a similar location, only with lots more to do and a bigger space to cover. A bigger building with a more complex layout, with more puzzles and optional areas.

Is the stuff in Beginning Hour canon or what? The ghost is psychotic Mia right?

I always thought that was adult Eveline. Not super familar with the timeline stuff, but seeing as she aged rapidly I would guess she was somewhere in between the child version and the grandma version.

Astral Dog

Yep. This is the main reason I don't like the game more. If more of the game was like that first section. This easily would've been one of my favorites.
I hope we get one more first person game in the main series, as I really feel Capcom is onto something with this game. My main criticism is that the first half was way better than the first. It was a lot of fun navigating the old houses, solving puzzles and scavenging for items.

Yeah,such a great introduction in the mansion you instantly feel the game is off when you leave it.poor enemy variety,uneven design.etc.
There are however great moments outside the main house,the area with the trailer and the trailer itself are awesome,you have a feeling for a moment the game still has lots to give.the rooms in the old house at the second floor,.Marguerite,Lucas Room,Lucas videotape ,Jack boss fight,etc.

It goes downhill in the ship with the Mia and Eveline stuff,makes the games weaknesses much more apparent like the poor enemy design,mediocre plot and poor combat.

A game that builds on this and really takes care of some of the major issues would be something special,however Capcom is too unpredictable im worried they will focus on fixing the combat at the expense of everything else :S

Jawmuncher

Yeah,such a great introduction in the mansion you instantly feel the game is off when you leave it.poor enemy variety,uneven design.etc.
There are however great moments outside the main house,the area with the trailer and the trailer itself are awesome,you have a feeling for a moment the game still has lots to give.the rooms in the old house at the second floor,.Marguerite,Lucas Room,Lucas videotape ,Jack boss fight,etc.

It goes downhill in the ship with the Mia and Eveline stuff,makes the games weaknesses much more apparent like the poor enemy design,mediocre plot and poor combat.

A game that builds on this and really takes care of some of the major issues would be something special,however Capcom is too unpredictable im worried they will focus on fixing the combat at the expense of everything else :S

Oh it did. The jack fight especially was great. Then the kid room as well was another highlight. Which is why i'm curious to see how an RE8 that takes this feed back will be.

Maedhros

Is there even a RE game that doesn't drop the ball in the later half?

Sorry, but none fits the bill, almost all of them have strong start/mid points and feels really weird on the end.

Except 5 and 6, they are bad from the start for me.

Jawmuncher

Sorry, but none fits the bill, almost all of them have strong start/mid points and feels really weird on the end.

I'm not saying any of the other games don't drop off as the game goes on.
But while I feel the other titles have more of a hill as they drop, RE7 to me felt like much more of a steep hill compared to the rest when only talking numbered entries.

Jawmuncher

1-3 don't drop in quality IMO.

I wouldn't say anything huge. But I think they still have their issues later game.
RE7 to me is the first one where the dip was really apparent. Which I think is due to the very high quality of the beginning. When you start from so high up, the fall is going to be more apparent. Even if the game is still good overall.

mkvl

Neo Member
Some entries in the series became a little different as the game goes on. Most became more action-centric and less survival horror and I think that is fine. The problem with the later parts of RE7 is not the shift in the tone, atmosphere or gameplay but the uninspiring execution of the aforementioned compared to the first half of the game imo.

Quality aside I didn't felt the impact of the end the game as I usually feel on a RE game. Lets see what they do in the DLC and RE8 because I think RE7 although far from perfect is a very good foundation.

I wouldn't say anything huge. But I think they still have their issues later game.
RE7 to me is the first one where the dip was really apparent. Which I think is due to the very high quality of the beginning. When you start from so high up, the fall is going to be more apparent. Even if the game is still good overall.

I would agree. I loved RE7 but everytime I think back on it, I recall the first 75 percent of the game. Nothing really stands out for the rest aside from the Mia tape reveal segment. It's super noticeable and wouldn't be surprised to know if it was a bit rushed or just ran out of money by that point. No new enemies, bosses, no stalkers enemies. Its very jarring really.

It's really hard to maintain that tension throughout the whole game, even in older RE games. There gets to be a point where you know all of the threats, and you have enough firepower to handle it. I don't remember any tension in RE2 after the police station except for maybe when T-00 shows up in scenario B. Even Resident Evil 4 drops the ball hard on this with the regular enemies on the island (balanced out by the regenerators though)

That's why I liked the ship section basically resetting everything and making you start over with nothing. Not the most elegant way of doing it but it was a nice change.

Totally agreed. The gradual process to becoming a bad-ass is an RE staple and this structure is one of the big reasons that RE7 feels like a core part of the series to me.

And I also liked the changeup with the ship- first with making you feel vulnerable in a way that you hadn't since the first hour or two and then with the flashback which was the closest the game came to going into badass action mode from the later games.

REMake 100% never falters as far as I'm concerned, I love that facility. (Oops meant to edit this into my prior post)

Finished in 2:38, I'll take that. Also got resource manager out of the way. I decided to hold off on the healing trophy for another time lol

Finished my first run on easy mode at 10+ hours, can't imagine being able to shave six hours off that - are subsequent playthroughs really that much easier? Are people literally just running past every enemy? (Semi rhetorical)

Jawmuncher

Technically if they wanted a prior RE character in the game, that hasn't been doing any crazy kung fu moves. Billy would fit the bill. Thinking about it, even with his soldier status. He wouldn't have done much more than Ethan did in the same game.

Finished my first run on easy mode at 10+ hours, can't imagine being able to shave six hours off that - are subsequent playthroughs really that much easier? Are people literally just running past every enemy? (Semi rhetorical)

Skip tapes and don't keep running back to the box. Pick up only what you need. Quit and load from menu on death. Skip optional things like the statue shotgun.

Running past enemies helps, but I don't see a big difference fighting them as easy gives enough to quickly deal with and eliminate them. But yes, it really is that much easier.

I don't really know what issues. Like I can't think of anything in the last third of those games that are lacking for me. And for me RE7 is still great in the ship. The salt mines are meh but it's like 10 minutes, and while the final boss is also meh, I loved the lead-in to it.

Top Bottom