• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

Mr Croft

greatness

Wow I'm totally on board with this right here. It would all make sense especially if Chris was on the radio but hunk got to him first. Chris does have a nack for being late to everything. We'll at least it would explain the voice actor in the credits anyway.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Agreed, it's HUNK. See the comparison photo here:

0wJHkBd.jpg

He has HUNK's four known signatures: wears a gas mask, rides in an Umbrella chopper, engages in Umbrella's B.O.W. disposal and clean-up, and has light-colored hair and stubble.

HUNK is presumably using Redfield's name and international reputation with anti-B.O.W. forces to lull Ethan into a false sense of security. We know that Ethan has weapons and biochemistry training, and that he mistrusts Umbrella because Mia had to lie to him about taking a job with them. Yet he was still okay with her taking a "babysitting" gig that involved extended travel, not a normal job by any means.

All signs point to Ethan Winters being "Ethan W. - Deceased" -- a Level 9 Umbrella scientist who was supposed to have been killed by Wesker during the Spencer purge, but who may have faked his death. This would explain both his lack of concern over B.O.W. monstrostities, and his fixation on Mia explaining her lies to him, rather than providing an explanation of what the crap is actually happening on this crazy plantation.

YXfwsLD.jpg

It also explains why the Umbrella operatives talking on the radio seem to know exactly who Ethan is, and the risks he poses. We can infer, too, that Ethan's previous experience and/or exposure to B.O.W. research is the reason that he alone can resist Eveline's mental coercion. He's clearly infected by the E-series, yet neither he, "Redfield," or Mia seem particularly concerned. Even Eveline seems to recognize this -- she instructed Mia to kill Ethan during their initial encounter in the guest house, and later even went so far as to imprison him in a molded near-death state, where his mind remained lucid and safe, talking to the Bakers. And while he and Eveline clearly shared a telepathic link, he was able to brush off her hallucinations and inject her with apparent ease.

In this light, the ending takes on a whole new meaning. Umbrella has been reformed, under new leadership, and they're bringing two former assets back into the fold. My personal theory is that Mia was an Umbrella freelancer, and she helped Ethan fake his death. That's why when Umbrella started up again without Spencer and Wesker -- presumably sometime after the obliteration of Neo Umbrella in 2012, and before the completion of the E-series in 2014 -- Mia decided she could take the risk. She lied to Ethan, who still refused to trust Umbrella, and went to work another B.O.W. mission.

Of course, we saw how it all went sideways, and now the two of them are wrapped up in Umbrella's clutches once again. That's how I see it, at least.
Thanks you for this post. This all makes more sense then Evil Chris.

Nemesis_

It's probably just some cousin / brother / something of Chris' if it's not Chris. I just find it strange he would say Redfield. It's probably that simple.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Posted this in the OT, but will also post here.

Bad Ending Path > Good Ending Path

The differences on the bad ending path I think are superior to the supposed 'good' ending, add an additional touch to the game's climax I think is more impacting, and I think the overall tone of the ending is much more fitting.

Also Madhouse Mode is great. Maybe not for the first playthrough, but I suggest if you like the game to play it through this. They really do remix a lot, and makes the game a lot more strategic. I got to a point where I had to start planning my routes carefully and choosing what I killed and didn't kill, something I never had to do on Normal. Add to that some surprising differences in pacing but that work, and you got yourself a good challenging arrange mode.

Anyone notice the note in the attic showing that the Bakers contracted Trevor and Chamberlain Construction to install the shadow doors? The must have also worked on those dog and centaur doors.

Lulubop

Posted this in the OT, but will also post here.

Bad Ending Path > Good Ending Path

The differences on the bad ending path I think are superior to the supposed 'good' ending, add an additional touch to the game's climax I think is more impacting, and I think the overall tone of the ending is much more fitting.

Also Madhouse Mode is great. Maybe not for the first playthrough, but I suggest if you like the game to play it through this. They really do remix a lot, and makes the game a lot more strategic. I got to a point where I had to start planning my routes carefully and choosing what I killed and didn't kill, something I never had to do on Normal. Add to that some surprising differences in pacing but that work, and you got yourself a good challenging arrange mode.

Is albert in the storage box if you start a new game on Madhouse?

Dusk Golem

Anyone notice the note in the attic showing that the Bakers contracted Trevor and Chamberlain Construction to install the shadow doors? The must have also worked on those dog and centaur doors.

Yea but didn't Trevor die way before that date?

I noticed! It was an easy to miss connection.

And the note was written that the order was placed and they installed it into the plantation in 1992, which would be before George Trevor died.

Is albert in the storage box if you start a new game on Madhouse?

Yes it is, all things you unlock are in the item box when you start new games on any difficulty. But things you collected in a playthrough otherwise don't carry over, only unlocks.

I noticed! It was an easy to miss connection.

And the note was written that the order was placed and they installed it into the plantation in 1992, which would be before George Trevor died.

Yes it is, all things you unlock are in the item box when you start new games on any difficulty. But things you collected in a playthrough otherwise don't carry over, only unlocks.

George Trevor died in the 1960s.

What was the date of the Umbrella staff purge? Ethan seemed a bit young to have been involved in that.

Linkura

0wJHkBd.jpg

He has HUNK's four known signatures: wears a gas mask, rides in an Umbrella chopper, engages in Umbrella's B.O.W. disposal and clean-up, and has light-colored hair and stubble.

HUNK is presumably using Redfield's name and international reputation with anti-B.O.W. forces to lull Ethan into a false sense of security. We know that Ethan has weapons and biochemistry training, and that he mistrusts Umbrella because Mia had to lie to him about taking a job with them. Yet he was still okay with her taking a "babysitting" gig that involved extended travel, not a normal job by any means.

All signs point to Ethan Winters being "Ethan W. - Deceased" -- a Level 9 Umbrella scientist who was supposed to have been killed by Wesker during the Spencer purge, but who may have faked his death. This would explain both his lack of concern over B.O.W. monstrostities, and his fixation on Mia explaining her lies to him, rather than providing an explanation of what the crap is actually happening on this crazy plantation.

YXfwsLD.jpg

It also explains why the Umbrella operatives talking on the radio seem to know exactly who Ethan is, and the risks he poses. Some think they're talking about Lucas, but if so, why not the same "shoot on sight" order as Eveline? We can infer, too, that Ethan's previous experience and/or exposure to B.O.W. research is the reason that he alone can resist Eveline's mental coercion. He's clearly infected by the E-series, yet neither he, "Redfield," or Mia seem concerned. Even Eveline seems to recognize this -- she instructed Mia to kill Ethan during their initial encounter in the guest house, and later even went so far as to imprison him in a molded near-death state, where his mind remained lucid and safe, talking to the Bakers. And while he and Eveline clearly shared a telepathic link, he was able to brush off her hallucinations and inject her with apparent ease. She has zero influence over him, despite her best efforts, and him being infected from early on.

In this light, the ending takes on a whole new meaning. Umbrella has been reformed, under new leadership, and they're bringing two former assets back into the fold. My personal theory is that Mia was an Umbrella freelancer or former employee, not quite so high-tier as Ethan, which is why he was exposed to whatever agent made him immune to Eveline, and she wasn't. I also believe Umbrella is likely where they met. This also explains why Umbrella would contact her to work on a freelance basis transporting the E-series host. When Umbrella started up again without Spencer and Wesker -- presumably sometime after the obliteration of Neo Umbrella in 2012, and before the completion of the E-series in 2014 -- Mia decided she could take the risk. She lied to Ethan, who still refused to trust Umbrella, and went to work another B.O.W. mission.

Of course, we saw how it all went sideways, and now the two of them are wrapped up in Umbrella's clutches once again. That's how I see it, at least.

Holy. Shit.
1408.gif

Which game is that list from btw?

Dusk Golem

He died in 1967 right? His death would pre date that installation.

George Trevor died in the 1960s.

What was the date of the Umbrella staff purge? Ethan seemed a bit young to have been involved in that.

You guys are correct, my mind flipped that 6 right upside down. But it's obviously meant to be a references, and there's a chance the simplification (especially with the tag name) is that whatever construction company Trevor ran is still in business just under different ownership after his passing.

i am working my way through madhouse and just got to the first bird cages. One of them is for the scorpion key. Im a bit confused, do you have to buy the keys in this mode? Or can you still just go find them?

Jake2by4

You guys are correct, my mind flipped that 6 right upside down. But it's obviously meant to be a references, and there's a chance the simplification (especially with the tag name) is that whatever construction company Trevor ran is still in business just under different ownership after his passing.
clearly the Bake's have ties to umbrella and not just the little references either.

Roni

Gold Member
Holy. Shit.
1408.gif

Which game is that list from btw?

RE5.

And Ethan working for Umbrella would be a nice twist. But I don't buy that's the reason he could resist Eveline. His infection was just too early on for it to deeply affect his mind. I remember the files in the Lab clearly state physical changes come much earlier than problematic psychological ones.

The fungus needs to be thoroughly installed in the brain for Eveline to be able to do anything beyond mild appearances. The E-Series in Ethan was enough to allow his hands and feet to be reconnected when stapled together, and for him to withstand some damage when blocking shovel strikes and whatnot, but not deep enough to make him Eveline's puppet.

dbl219

Neo Member
RE5.

And Ethan working for Umbrella would be a nice twist. But I don't buy that's the reason he could resist Eveline. His infection was just too early on for it to deeply affect his mind. I remember the files in the Lab clearly state physical changes come much earlier than problematic psychological ones.

The fungus needs to be thoroughly installed in the brain for Eveline to be able to do anything beyond mild appearances. The E-Series in Ethan was enough to allow his hands and feet to be reconnected when stapled together, and for him to withstand some damage when blocking shovel strikes and whatnot, but not deep enough to make him Eveline's puppet.

That's possible, but unlikely, in my opinion. We saw how quickly Alan fell ill during Mia's mission on the ship, and Ethan showed no signs of that. The ship's crew members turned into Eveline's playthings even more quickly.

Additionally, if this were true, when Mia was infected, why didn't she move to immediately terminate Eveline with the Necrotoxin-E? Clearly Mia survived the shipwreck, and by the end she had the tissue sample. If your theory is correct, it would've taken time for the E-series to take hold. And yet based on letters in the Baker house, we know that Mia walked essentially hand-in-hand with Eveline into their household. This would imply she was controlled within the first hours, and that most people are far, far more susceptible to the E-series's psychological effects than Ethan. I also recall Eveline taunting Mia that Ethan was dead, when clearly he wasn't, and was in fact dreaming. There's still no explanation for why Ethan is treated differently by Eveline than everyone else in the game. Again, I must note how Eveline orders Mia to kill him in the guest house when he won't join them voluntarily. That's not what she's done with everyone else. There's overwhelming evidence that Ethan is special.

I haven't come up with another explanation, aside from Ethan having some additional protections through Umbrella, or some sort of training in resisting the psychological compulsions of B.O.W. infection. I mean, you could chalk it up to a plot hole, too, but I just find my explanation more satisfying. ;-)

0wJHkBd.jpg

YXfwsLD.jpg

It also explains why the Umbrella operatives talking on the radio seem to know exactly who Ethan is, and the risks he poses. Some think they're talking about Lucas, but if so, why not the same "shoot on sight" order as Eveline? We can infer, too, that Ethan's previous experience and/or exposure to B.O.W. research is the reason that he alone can resist Eveline's mental coercion. He's clearly infected by the E-series, yet neither he, "Redfield," or Mia seem concerned. Even Eveline seems to recognize this -- she instructed Mia to kill Ethan during their initial encounter in the guest house, and later even went so far as to imprison him in a molded near-death state, where his mind remained lucid and safe, talking to the Bakers. And while he and Eveline clearly shared a telepathic link, he was able to brush off her hallucinations and inject her with apparent ease. She has zero influence over him, despite her best efforts, and him being infected from early on.

In this light, the ending takes on a whole new meaning. Umbrella has been reformed, under new leadership, and they're bringing two former assets back into the fold. My personal theory is that Mia was an Umbrella freelancer or former employee, not quite so high-tier as Ethan, which is why he was exposed to whatever agent made him immune to Eveline, and she wasn't. I also believe Umbrella is likely where they met. This also explains why Umbrella would contact her to work on a freelance basis transporting the E-series host. When Umbrella started up again without Spencer and Wesker -- presumably sometime after the obliteration of Neo Umbrella in 2012, and before the completion of the E-series in 2014 -- Mia decided she could take the risk. She lied to Ethan, who still refused to trust Umbrella, and went to work another B.O.W. mission.

This is the best post. Please be true. If not capcom should hire you.

Roni

Gold Member
That's possible, but unlikely, in my opinion. We saw how quickly Alan fell ill during Mia's mission on the ship, and Ethan showed no signs of that. The ship's crew members turned into Eveline's playthings even more quickly.

Additionally, if this were true, when Mia was infected, why didn't she move to immediately terminate Eveline with the Necrotoxin-E? Clearly Mia survived the shipwreck, and by the end she had the tissue sample. If your theory is correct, it would've taken time for the E-series to take hold. And yet based on letters in the Baker house, we know that Mia walked essentially hand-in-hand with Eveline into their household. This would imply she was controlled within the first hours, and that most people are far, far more susceptible to the E-series's psychological effects than Ethan. I also recall Eveline taunting Mia that Ethan was dead, when clearly he wasn't, and was in fact dreaming. There's still no explanation for why Ethan is treated differently by Eveline than everyone else in the game. Again, I must note how Eveline orders Mia to kill him in the guest house when he won't join them voluntarily. That's not what she's done with everyone else. There's overwhelming evidence that Ethan is special.

I haven't come up with another explanation, aside from Ethan having some additional protections through Umbrella, or some sort of training in resisting the psychological compulsions of B.O.W. infection. I mean, you could chalk it up to a plot hole, too, but I just find my explanation more satisfying. ;-)

There are a few things to consider:

1. We have no idea of the timetable of her escape on the ship, could've taken days for Alan to show symptoms from the moment he was unknowingly infected. There could be a clue in the timestamps of the two videos Mia sends Ethan. Need to check for that.

2. There are two implied types of E-Series infection. You can be infected to turn into "Mold", which seems to be quicker and can be sped up if Eveline so desires. But there's also the style of infection that turns you into a high-functioning puppet, like the Bakers and Mia. After all, they were infected for years without losing their human form. This seems to be the case with Ethan due to his connection to Mia. He was given the alternative infection because Eveline saw that as an opportunity to appease Mia and prevent her mood swings from becoming too dangerous - remember that, in the prologue, Mia talks about burning down the farm to prevent the infection from spreading.

3. We don't know how injured Mia was when she was taken in by the Bakers. She could have been bedridden for weeks, all the while the infection would've spread to her. And, as mentioned, it's clear that even though she is infected, she wants to destroy Eveline. Her dialogue in the prologue indicates as much.

3. Mia would have required a means to produce E-Necrotoxin, the case we used was in the Lab, which Mia didn't seem to be aware of based on the diary kept there. The E-Necrotoxin case from the boat was completely thrashed. This seems to imply there was no way to kill Eveline until either Lucas or Zoe began working for the corporation in secret.

So I'm left with no reason to think Ethan is special, except he was given the alternate infection route. Mia was kept in check all those years by sheer force. I don't imagine Jack was any nicer to her than he was with Lucas, so leg cutting was definitely on the table and we did find her locked in a cage. To me, he was just in the early stages of the high-functioning puppet route.

I screamed when i saw Chris lmao

Can't freakin wait for the dlc!

lol I think you mean you screamed when you heard him say he was Redfield. I totally thought this masked dude was gonna take off his helmet and reveal himself to be Chris or Leon. When he took off his mask I was like...wait...am I supposed to know this guy?

T.O.P

Banned
lol I think you mean you screamed when you heard him say he was Redfield. I totally thought this masked dude was gonna take off his helmet and reveal himself to be Chris or Leon. When he took off his mask I was like...wait...am I supposed to know this guy?
I thought they changed his face or something O_O

The fuck

I need to read this thread hard

Has someone pieced together a timeline of the events leading up to the game. Mia was gone three years right? Ethan got the email first right? Then When did Ethan see the video? How much time between the ship crash and the game?

I thought they changed his face or something O_O

The fuck

I need to read this thread hard

I mean, as far as we know, he is Chris Redfield. But if we were to only judge by face value, I wouldn't have known at all. It would have been a better reveal if he had the same face as in RE5/6. Did you know that he was Chris as soon as he took off the mask? I needed him to tell me. And then I went "ooooh."

T.O.P

Banned

0wJHkBd.jpg

YXfwsLD.jpg

Getting mind blowed here

Has someone pieced together a timeline of the events leading up to the game. Mia was gone three years right? Ethan got the email first right? Then When did Ethan see the video? How much time between the ship crash and the game?

Three years almost exactly I think. Because Mia was missing* for three years and if you remember the Sewer Gators tape, Andre says that the house was abandoned for three years.

dbl219

Neo Member
There are a few things to consider:

1. We have no idea of the timetable of her escape on the ship, could've taken days for Alan to show symptoms from the moment he was unknowingly infected. There could be a clue in the timestamps of the two videos Mia sends Ethan. Need to check for that.

Unlikely. During their conversation, I recall Alan noting that he was infected as a result of her escape. I could be misremembering. But even if I am, there's zero evidence that her and Eveline's exit from the ship took a protracted amount of time, considering the crash was a massive event. If survivors had mysteriously appeared many days later, that detail would likely have been in the Bakers' notes.

2. There are two implied types of E-Series infection. You can be infected to turn into "Mold", which seems to be quicker and can be sped up if Eveline so desires. But there's also the style of infection that turns you into a high-functioning puppet, like the Bakers and Mia. After all, they were infected for years without losing their human form. This seems to be the case with Ethan due to his connection to Mia. He was given the alternative infection because Eveline saw that as an opportunity to appease Mia and prevent her mood swings from becoming too dangerous - remember that, in the prologue, Mia talks about burning down the farm to prevent the infection from spreading.

You're clearly right about two types of infection, but the idea of appeasing Mia isn't correct. After all, Eveline wipes Mia's memories. There's no evidence Mia can exert enough autonomy to make anything more than empty threats. Otherwise why hasn't she acted sooner? Eveline and the Bakers have been killing for years. Clearly it's not the power of love, or else the Bakers themselves would have resisted while they were still a caring family. Mia's only moments of clarity come at Eveline's behest, as far as I can tell. Her interactions with Ethan at the beginning aren't resistance, they're just Eveline easing up on the reins for a moment to see if Ethan will play daddy.

The only exception seems to be before you administer the serum, but I'd argue maybe Eveline got hit with some psychic feedback after obliterating Jack. She comes at you again quickly enough and takes back Mia. I still don't think there's enough evidence that Mia has control until you cure her.

3. We don't know how injured Mia was when she was taken in by the Bakers. She could have been bed-ridden for weeks, all the while the infection would've spread to her. And, as mentioned, it's clear that even though she is infected, she wants to destroy Eveline. Her dialogue in the prologue indicates as much.

This is definitely incorrect. If Mia was infected with the E-series puppet variant, she would have gained regenerative abilities. It's too much to assume she was unconscious for some exact amount of time that allowed the infection to control her mind, while her body remained injured. That doesn't jibe with what we know, especially considering you yourself postulated it alters body first, mind second. The notes clarify that this regenerative capacity is inherent to the infection, and that the First Aid meds merely enhance it even further. Mia had access to First Aid meds, but even without them, she should have healed enough to regain consciousness, if she ever lost it. And there's zero evidence or justification for the notion of her being bed-ridden.

3. Mia would have required a means to produce E-Necrotoxin, the case we used was in the Lab, which Mia didn't seem to be aware of based on the diary kept there. The E-Necrotoxin case from the boat was completely thrashed. This seems to imply there was no way to kill Eveline until either Lucas or Zoe began working for the corporation in secret.

I was under the impression it was the same case, which had been retrieved from the boat, possibly repaired. I could be totally wrong, will need a second play through to check it out. I also picked the Mia ending, so I'm not sure if I missed something about Zoe and Lucas working for Umbrella. But with both of them infected, Eveline would presumably know if they were conspiring or if they received a new case from the company. Mia's lack of awareness can just as easily be due to mind control and memory wiping.

So I'm left with no reason to think Ethan is special, except he was given the alternate infection route. Mia was kept in check all those years by sheer force. I don't imagine Jack was any nicer to her than he was with Lucas, so leg cutting was definitely on the table and we did find her locked in a cage. To me, he was just in the early stages of the high-functioning puppet route.

The entire purpose of the E-series B.O.W. was to exert absolute control. In that regard, Ethan seems like an abject failure. And he really doesn't seem to care that he's infected, has no interest in taking the serum, which is incredibly odd, no matter how you slice it, unless he knows he's not in danger.

We also don't know how much time Mia spent in cages, or how Jack treated her. But the only reason Mia ever seemed to possess a degree of autonomy was because of Eveline's emotional attachment and desire for Mia to be her mommy. As soon as that's out the window, Eveline takes complete control, unless you've given Mia the serum.

I really appreciate you taking the time to debate this with me, but I'm still sticking to my theory! ;-)

I was under the impression it was the same case, which had been retrieved from the boat, possibly repaired. I could be totally wrong, will need a second play through to check it out. I also picked the Mia ending, so I'm not sure if I missed something about Zoe and Lucas working for Umbrella. But with both of them infected, Eveline would presumably know if they were conspiring or if they received a new case from the company. Mia's lack of awareness can just as easily be due to mind control and memory wiping.

Real quick - I believe Lucas was never under control of Eveline. Yes he has regenative powers since he grew his arm back after Jack cut it off, but he always had the cure/neurotoxin and I doubt Eveline would have left him alive if she knew. In the notes in the Lab (Lucas's lab) the message he sends is towards a company. The company who originally made the E series who is not Umbrella. So he's definitely in contact with that company whatever it is. It makes more sense too when you hear the radio talk between the two teams that say that he had third-party communication. "You can guess who that is" meaning the company that the new Umbrella is against.

JayEH

What's interesting to me though is Ethan's line "The fuck took you guys so long?" If the theory about him working for umbrella is true then it seems like he DID inform someone he was going to look for Mia. Which would make sense considering how stupid it would be for him to go to this creepy BOW infested place alone. Remember he does have that phone call in the beginning of the game with an unknown person. Could be he told umbrella (or some other company) about Mia and went out on his own before them. There's also talk about a rival company...maybe that's who Ethan works for now....maybe the rival is umbrella...there's a lot of possibilities.

dbl219

Neo Member
Real quick - I believe Lucas was never under control of Eveline. Yes he has regenative powers since he grew his arm back after Jack cut it off, but he always had the cure/neurotoxin and I doubt Eveline would have left him alive if she knew. In the notes in the Lab (Lucas's lab) the message he sends is towards a company. The company who originally made the E series who is not Umbrella. So he's definitely in contact with that company whatever it is. It makes more sense too when you hear the radio talk between the two teams that say that he had third-party communication. "You can guess who that is" meaning the company that the new Umbrella is against.

Good to know, thanks! I missed I think 4-6 documents my first go around. Going to do another round on Madhouse and will pay particular attention to this.

What's interesting to me though is Ethan's line "The fuck took you guys so long?" If the theory about him working for umbrella is true then it seems like he DID inform someone he was going to look for Mia. Which would make sense considering how stupid it would be for him to go to this creepy BOW infested place alone. Remember he does have that phone call in the beginning of the game with an unknown person. Could be he told umbrella (or some other company) about Mia and went out on his own before them. There's also talk about a rival company...maybe that's who Ethan works for now....maybe the rival is umbrella...there's a lot of possibilities.

This stood out so much to me because there was never a call in game for back-up or help. And it was never hinted at. Why all of a sudden did they come at that time instead of like days later or whatever. Or before this whole event with Ethan even happened. That line is definitely telling that he knew they were coming.

Also Ethan's lines about cleaning up the mess in the ending.

Ooccoo

I find it funny how this game almost ripped Silent Hill with Mia. But I guess this was expected from Capcom.

Also, of course it's Chris Redfield. Not sure why there's a debate.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Chris redfield is Hunk, he infiltrated umbrella. Think about it, where say Chris during resident evil 2? That's right, he was working for umbrella.

Dusk Golem

I find it funny how this game almost ripped Silent Hill with Mia. But I guess this was expected from Capcom.

Also, of course it's Chris Redfield. Not sure why there's a debate.

? How did Mia come off like a Silent Hill character? I think her backstory is anyways she's working for the organization that made Eveline and was keeping it a secret from her husband she was some badass secret agent, but the bioweapon infected her and made her a literal mother figure.

Top Bottom