• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

The last one I played was Ark of Napishtim back when that came out on PSP. I've been meaning to give the series another try.

Also: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797309&page=22

You really should, the rest of the series IMHO is about 1000 than Ark.

Ark of Napishtim on the PSP was my first Ys.

Years and years ago it was mine as well, and I didn't get why people like the series. When I finally went back and gave other games in the franchise a try I realized how awesome it was and how bad a representative Ark was.

IrishNinja

okay for real, how do you clean SCART cables? a few of these, i really gotta fidget with to keep getting stereo sound + red green and blue, teach me some tricks here y'all

also the arguments for inflation always fall flat when thinking about how much of this was dirt cheap for like a solid decade and a half (or two full decades) before the spikes really showed

Holy crap, got my Akumajo Dracula X from PCEWorks; this is by far the best repro I have ever purchased. I will be purchasing all my PCE CD stuff from them from here on out.

whoah, what's all the extras? single page art flyers or what? looks cool

My first one was Ys on the Master System.

so jelly - Ys was one of the only SMS games of its era i saw universal praise for, but sadly the TRU around the way no longer stocked the system & lionel play world was gone too

Peltz

okay for real, how do you clean SCART cables? a few of these, i really gotta fidget with to keep getting stereo sound + red green and blue, teach me some tricks here y'all

You just leave them connected. Disconnecting and reconnecting them will wear out the pins and expose them to more dirt.

I have the same issue, by the way.

Tain

I definitely missed Ys back in the day, my first one was Felghana. I also played through 7 recently and liked it, though.

Looking forward to playing that recently-translated Ys V. Trying to go through the main Falcom games before VIII's localized release.

I just ordered an HD Retrovision cable for my Genesis myself. That's the only RGB I have going on console-wise, so the box will stick to supergun use from here on out.

Galdelico

nahhh the good ones looked too pricey..and I've SCARTS for SMS, Genesis, Saturn, DC, NES, SNES, N64, PSX, PS2, Duo-R and I forget what else so god knows it'd need some slots
This one could be your friend.
Sure, you'd still need 3/4 of them, to connect ALL your systems at once, but even with just a couple, I bet your life would be so much easier.
I have two of them, and I can quote everything good VGP wrote in their review.

BTails

This one could be your friend.
Sure, you'd still need 3/4 of them, to connect ALL your systems at once, but even with just a couple, I bet your life would be so much easier.
I have two of them, and I can quote everything good VGP wrote in their review.

I have 2 HAMA switches daisy-chained: they're pretty great, though there is a SLIGHT picture quality loss: I only seem to notice it on my RGB modded NES and SNES (Sharing the same cable), though I don't see it when I connect directly to my Framemeister.

Still, great value, and they're not butt-ugly like some SCART selectors out there.

Laws00

Only problem I have with Retro Game Super Translation Select is in black and white. And I can say that it's my fault for not looking into it more.
contrabook-cover.jpg

translationbook-front.jpg

BTails

RetroGAF, I bought myself a Switch! Is Blaster Master Zero the real deal? What else should I be getting to scratch that retro itch?

BTails

Fuggin Cave Story +. It's a fantastic game.

Worth it for someone who's beat Cave Story a few times already though?

I'm actually really excited to play Breath of the Wild. My wife and I are going on a 2.5 week vacation with our 1-Year Old at the end of the month, so we figure we'll get a lot of Zelda played since we'll have to be back at the hotel by 6:45-7:00 every evening to put our daughter to bed, hah!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Worth it for someone who's beat Cave Story a few times already though?

I'm actually really excited to play Breath of the Wild. My wife and I are going on a 2.5 week vacation with our 1-Year Old at the end of the month, so we figure we'll get a lot of Zelda played since we'll have to be back at the hotel by 6:45-7:00 every evening to put our daughter to bed, hah!

Tough to say. I mean, it's not like they really changed or added that much.

In which case, I second the Puyo Puyo Tetris recommendation. That game is amazing.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Blaster Master Zero currently has a free piece of Shantae DLC. You don't need to buy it before downloading the free DLC before it goes up to $1.99 on July 19th. Download the BMZ demo to see if you like it.

D.Lo

Blaster Master Zero currently has a free piece of Shantae DLC. You don't need to buy it before downloading the free DLC before it goes up to $1.99 on July 19th. Download the BMZ demo to see if you like it.
Busted scaling though, it looks horrible to me.

BTails

Get on that Wonder Boy.

Oh snap, forgot about this! Totally getting it. Mmmmm, FM soundtrack....

Nice! My Switch should be shipping tomorrow and arriving before the end of the week. Plenty of time to get that DLC... man, the Shantae games are great!

i need both of those games! also i need to get a switch...

crosspost:
grabbed some titles yesterday:
xtSARnRh.jpg

Damn David, that's some good Konami action right there!

D.Lo

oh snaps!

so you did the pieces for Ai Senshi Nicol, RollerGames, and Meikyuu Jiin Dababa?

Ai Senshi Nicol looks like something i'd be interested in playing
1395278689118.jpg
Indeed I did.

Nicol is one of the best games on the Famicom. Very similar to King Kong 2, but with better (FDS) music.

I actually also did Arumana no Kiseki but Kurt (the HG101 editor) had already written a piece for it.

Oh snap, forgot about this! Totally getting it. Mmmmm, FM soundtrack....

Nice! My Switch should be shipping tomorrow and arriving before the end of the week. Plenty of time to get that DLC... man, the Shantae games are great!

Damn David, that's some good Konami action right there!
thanks!

Yeah it's native on 3DS, will be fine. On Switch it uses a busted 4.5X scaling so shimmers when scrolling.

Say what? That is whack. Major fuckup in this day and age if you're aiming for a retro enthusiast audience.

Been thinking about scoring a New 2DS for Metroid. This game now edges the needle just a little further in that direction for me...

Oh god that would be... something I will buy. Nintendo has had so much of my money this year...

No joke I have 4 special edition 3DSes and the only thing holding me back from buying like a lot more was lack of funds... and it's not much of a factor any more.

Puyo puyo tetris has proven to be the hidden gem on switch for me. Mario kart, bomberman and snipper clips are great party games too but all anyone wants to play is puyo (and I'm fine with that)

There's been some great retro recommendations already but I'd say you should check out kamiko on the Eshop! It's a great hyper light drifter/og zelda style game.

I'm one of the authors of the Contra/Konami book ;)

I'm super interested in that. Tell me it's amazing so I can buy it!

A coworker just gave me a promotional VHS tape for Yoshi's Island. Excited to go view it(although I just literally let another friend borrow my VHS player just last week to convert some of his old tapes to digital format). Regardless the tape will be part of my very small Retro display that I have currently building up. It just basically consists of games I hold dear to my childhood.

Top Bottom