• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Sales Age Thread

Celine

C Celine Ah thanks for that link. I also came here hoping to get spreadsheets of retro software sales by dming ppl in this thread cuz I read posting that info publicly is a big no no. Also know any good sites for Sega software sales? I am really curious about Shinobi, Alex Kidd & Street Of Rage.
The problem with retro games sales data is that sell-through estimates from the like of NPD/Famitsu are unreliable for those old games.
Sell-in data by the publisher is what you should look for but it's hard to get such data from them especially for decade old games (all those publishers if they still exist moved on a long time ago).
Despite my best attempts I could never build a Sega sales archive, in the same way I did for Nintendo.
I'm not even sure who within Sega today could access and know where to look for the old company accounting (where should be recorded how much of X item was sold to retailers or overseas subsidiaries).
The impression I have is that if they had to cite something today about their past games modern Sega will just look up in the Internet instead.

Last edited:

Celine

B BKK

PCE shipments include PCE GT and PCE LT shipments (and Supergrafx).
A more detailed brerakdown (note that the 270K shipped after FY ending 92/3 may contain more PCE GT/LT units but by my educated guess at most 10K-20K).

J8iL2Yr.jpg

Last edited:

BKK

B BKK

PCE shipments include PCE GT and PCE LT shipments (and Supergrafx).
A more detailed brerakdown (note that the 270K shipped after FY ending 92/3 may contain more PCE GT/LT units but by my educated guess at most 10K-20K).

J8iL2Yr.jpg

Hi Celine, sorry I've only just seen this, awesome stuff! Do you have a source for these?

BKK

First update to OP in many years!

From Famitsu #471; FY 97/98 H1. We had most of these from secondary sources, but international Neo Geo & Neo Geo CD 97.03 sales are new!

qPPSpdc.jpg

Kanikuzu

Neo Member
I got some WonderSwan Shipment data.

Kanikuzu

Neo Member
88(12)in 88in 89 (prospect)
Famicom13.29m+1.59m+1.50m
PC Engine1.35m+0.75m+1.00m
Master System/ Mega Drive 6.25m
(including 0.25m MD)
--+1.50m

But I think Master System number is WW number.

NALij8E.jpg
6jwE7Rq.jpg
h1t2vnU.jpg

Halfbaked

Neo Member
Hi Cap, where did these EA figures come from?
I remember this MMC report, finally found the source for the GameGear numbers I had again. ^^

I think we can probably leave it in the ballpark of 83.000 units for 1990, because I don't know if we're going to get any better reports than this and ChartTrack/ELSPA seems to have used the same data for really old estimates.

Crazy how strong the MegaDrive/Genesis was compared to the SNES.

There's also some pre-1991 data for 8-bit systems by Electronic Arts (and some after 1993), numbers differ from MMC/ELSPA.
eauk0150sza.png

And some PC shipment data directly from Intel.
gregw2s3b.png

Top Bottom