• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios working on fucking Donkey Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doczu

I always assumed that Retro would make three DKC games before "moving on."

-DKC Returns is incredible
-Well reviewed
-Sold very well
-Outsold every other Retro effort combined (IIRC)
-DKCR was enthusiastically embraced when announced (basically the opposite of Tropical Freeze)

All signs pointed to a Donkey Kong follow up. Are people going to be surprised when the third Retro DK is announced?

Not now, not anymore. But still, nothing pointed to DK. Those signs are as good as for any other sequel. It's just that gamers wanted something else.

KrawlMan

lol. This. NOBODY saw DK coming. I think we considered it a distant possibility, but with the three year development timeframe I think I speak for many if not most when I say we expected something jaw-dropping epic.

I know I didn't see DK coming, especially not in the shape it's in. The game looks good, lots of detail, but at a glance it just looks like HD DKCR.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly looking forward to it, and I'm sure videos don't do it justice, but I couldn't help but want something bigger, something bigger to showcase Retro's talents finally coming to a more modern platform (relatively speaking).

Well, it's abundantly clear that any rational discussion of the topic has been exhausted. This probably should have been locked as soon as it was bumped, as there wasn't really any need to bump an E3 venting thread. However, any possibility of an interesting discussion weighing the pros and cons of Donkey Kong Country versus the other possibilities in the context of what it meant for the E3 reveal were clearly foolish, and now it's just a bunch of pointless bickering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom