• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reuters] CD Projekt Red publishes Q1 results - expected net profit down by 64.7%

Flabagast

If the next gen version is looking remotely close to that this fall, I don't think there will be much issue in the game being successful again. Unless you prefer far cry 6 or call of duty 19 I guess ?

harmny

Banned
So, I'm not trying to get into a full argument here. I know how you feel about the game. I was disappointed with Cyberpunk - the bugs and crashes played a part for sure, but it was other aspects of the game that ultimately made me enjoy it far less than I anticipated. But let's leave it at that, for the most part.

Still, can you give any examples on how Cyberpunk is an iteration of Witcher 3's formula? Because that's one of my main issues, playing as Geralt I felt I still had much more control over my choices and character as opposed to playing as "V", which supposedly was my own creation.

well you have to understand that cp was announced in 2012 after the finished the witcher 2. and yet when you compare tw2 and cyberpunk they have almost nothing in common. but if you compare tw3 and cyberpunk you'll see that they have a lot in common. that means that the game was designed as an iteration of witcher's 3 formula after the fact instead of being developed and designed at the same time.

both are open world. in both games you have a map that you can see as a whole from the beginning with points of interest to visit (unlike the ubisoft formula where you activate a tower or something and it reveals part of the map). in both games you have a semi-open tutorial area and then the rest of the map opens up. in tw3 you have roach as your vehicle and you press a button and your horse spawns off screen and comes to you. in cp you have a car and you press a buttion and it spawns off screen and comes to you.

the game is an open world but if you think about it the world is pretty dead. now in the witcher 3 that wasn't a problem. it really didn't have a police system because you can't kill civilians as geralt because he's not a murderer. the random npcs are braindead too. you can't have converastions with them. you just pass by them and they insult you or say a random line and that's it. they won't really react to things you do. the only side activities are gwent and horse racing (which is mediocre). the point is that the game is a story driven experience. outside of the story (quests) there is not much to do. well cyberpunk is the same thing, the same formula. except it got destroyed online because it's set in a futuristic city and people expected GTA.

I understand what you say though. in terms of outcomes witcher 3 does give you more freedom. and it's longer. Also Geralt is a predetermined character so even though you can choose what he says or how he reacts it is always inside Geralt's personality and it feels more natural because he is basically an adult that talks in a more relatable manner.

In Cyberpunk even though they let you choose how your character looks V sounds like a jerk and all the time and maybe you don't want to play a jerk so you feel like the game lacks freedom and i get that. at the end of the day when cdpr decided that V was going to be voiced and talk using that street slang they gave it a personality like they did with geralt. it's really not yours anymore. if it was silent and the lines not as edgy you would feel more in control.

so when i say cyberpunk is an iteration of the same formula i mean the game's is structured in a pretty similar way. but that doesn't mean that the things you say are wrong. i'm just zooming out and analyzing how the game works as a whole.

nowhat

[...]
so when i say cyberpunk is an iteration of the same formula i mean the game's is structured in a pretty similar way. but that doesn't mean that the things you say are wrong. i'm just zooming out and analyzing how the game works as a whole.
Oh, wow. I was kind of prepared for this to end up as useless back-and-forth (that would have resulted in absolutely nothing meaningful - and I would have been an active party too of course, it takes two to tango), but while we may never completely agree on the game (which is fine), thanks for typing that out, I can now see more where you're coming from (as in, your point of view - I literally can''t see where you're coming from or where you're going to). So... truce for now, we'll continue this some other time? :)

Last edited:

Braag

Why would they buy a studio that churns out junk, they will buy their IP's and dump the useless devs.

Nmu3mTY.jpg

For those of you own this on base PS4 still, how does it perform currently? Did they even speak of the next QoL patch?

I'm guessing Sony QA wants to sit this one out, even if it take more than a year from now, and leave it to tech youtubers to finally give them a green signal for acceptable performance, to allow this on their store lol

Mozzarella

well you have to understand that cp was announced in 2012 after the finished the witcher 2. and yet when you compare tw2 and cyberpunk they have almost nothing in common. but if you compare tw3 and cyberpunk you'll see that they have a lot in common. that means that the game was designed as an iteration of witcher's 3 formula after the fact instead of being developed and designed at the same time.

both are open world. in both games you have a map that you can see as a whole from the beginning with points of interest to visit (unlike the ubisoft formula where you activate a tower or something and it reveals part of the map). in both games you have a semi-open tutorial area and then the rest of the map opens up. in tw3 you have roach as your vehicle and you press a button and your horse spawns off screen and comes to you. in cp you have a car and you press a buttion and it spawns off screen and comes to you.

the game is an open world but if you think about it the world is pretty dead. now in the witcher 3 that wasn't a problem. it really didn't have a police system because you can't kill civilians as geralt because he's not a murderer. the random npcs are braindead too. you can't have converastions with them. you just pass by them and they insult you or say a random line and that's it. they won't really react to things you do. the only side activities are gwent and horse racing (which is mediocre). the point is that the game is a story driven experience. outside of the story (quests) there is not much to do. well cyberpunk is the same thing, the same formula. except it got destroyed online because it's set in a futuristic city and people expected GTA.

I understand what you say though. in terms of outcomes witcher 3 does give you more freedom. and it's longer. Also Geralt is a predetermined character so even though you can choose what he says or how he reacts it is always inside Geralt's personality and it feels more natural because he is basically an adult that talks in a more relatable manner.

In Cyberpunk even though they let you choose how your character looks V sounds like a jerk and all the time and maybe you don't want to play a jerk so you feel like the game lacks freedom and i get that. at the end of the day when cdpr decided that V was going to be voiced and talk using that street slang they gave it a personality like they did with geralt. it's really not yours anymore. if it was silent and the lines not as edgy you would feel more in control.

I'll be annoying for a bit.
1- The thing is Witcher 3 came out in 2015, at the time the open world formula was very common and highly requested thanks to Skyrim. So with their lower budget and lower experience in making games Witcher 3 open world turned out pretty well, people liked it, because it was fleshed out in terms of lore really well, much better than other open worlds for example.
2- Witcher 3 world and despite coming out 5 years before Cyberpunk is still more alive, simply because of these things: - NPCs while you cannot interact with them, at least you can see them walking around, working, tending to their daily lives or work, compared to Cyberpunk you see them just braindead walking around, doing nothing, just walking back and forth 5 years before! That's not a good thing for Cyberpunk's World and NPC. Also i dont recall them appear and disappear out of thin air.
3- I believe if you want to add something you should add it in good state, otherwise not adding it is actually better, so in Cyberpunk they decided to add bounty/police star system, and marketed it with police chasing V, which is actually misleading since the chase doesnt happen and the police system is lame, its very bad. So i would rather have no police system at all than a broken one.
4- Cyberpunk was marketed as next generation open world adventure, that puts some weight/pressure into the game itself, if the world turns out in a slightly worse shape as an Open World than their previous game which came 5 YEARS before with LOWER budget then that is an issue.
5- Last one is the physics, try to cast Aard in near the water and you will notice the water effect particles, it shows you that Aard force impacted the water, try throwing bombs, explosion with water happens. There is more physics to its world than a 2020 next gen open world game, that is inexcusable my friend.
There is a big gap between these two games imo especially when you add in the factors of time it came out, budget and experience.

You are right that there are some elements that Cyberpunk took from Witcher 3 formula but the problem is they either made it worse or kept it the same with its problems, that is not evolving that is devolving and its not a good thing.

Also lets talk about the gigs a bit. In Witcher 3 world you had to go to Notice boards, pick up what interests you and go for it, you watch an immersive cutscene that puts you in the right mood for the quest, by watching characters interact you will most likely care about whats happening or what has happened instead of reading a lame shard with sound effect that fucks up your head.
Compared to Cyberpunk where fucking Regina Jones will give you headaches by constant calling you via the phone to give you her lame gigs and their premise of the mission, whether you answer the phone or not V will answer anyway, making taking out quests more annoying than ever.
Also as you said the extra to do which was Gwent (great minigame btw) is a good addition to make collecting cards in the world interesting, the minigame itself was enjoyable for me, they didnt bother to make collecting those weird pictures in Cyberpunk worthwhile or interesting, all you can do is scan them with your optical lens. Talk about downgrade. The easter eggs as well are less interesting/funny.
And we all agree that quest wise, writing wise, choice wise the game doesnt live up to its 5 years precursor.

Thats what makes me understand all the criticism towards it, when you think about it, its 5 years later with bigger budget, more man-power and more experience, they should have made the world more, yes they marketed it that way but it didnt live up to that. And yes i dont like the GTA crowd that wants a futuristic GTA, those people are shallow, all they care about are police chase, going rampage on NPCs and doing stupid shit in the world, but even choice, RPG, writing wise it didnt live up to it hype. Sadly when you think about it, the game never managed to make anything spectacular, its not a bad game imo but there is so much wasted potential, there, i would rate it 6/10. Actually maybe the ray tracing implementation is the spectacular thing here.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
The three paths are barely any different after like 20 minutes. They dialogue options leave wanting more and endings eh. Half baked systems. What is there to play through 4 times for?
Character is determined by choices, the game offers plenty of choices in both gameplay and role playing.

I've played a misguided Corpo who was back stabbed by the establishment and ended up finding his lot with nomads that value human connection. I've played a netrunner who came from the streets and relished in the power struggle in Night City and rose to the top with sheer obsession.

Now I'm playing a disillusioned Nomad who came to Night City and is pissed off at what the world is: both in and out of Night City. He's so depressed that Johnny's influence makes him more erratic and, ultimately, he'll give up his body in the pursuit of happiness in Cyberspace as a last ditch effort at any meaningful existence.

Next there's is a Corpo ninja who wants back into the corporate game at all costs.

These characters also play differently:

the first was a stealth solo,
the second was a pure netrunner
the third was a street fighter / quick hacker hybrid
the last one will be stealth and blades

Conversely, the game is bad if you enjoy complete and functional products
I'm not gonna burst your bubble if you enjoy being a passive consumer. Go nuts...

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Imagine being so entitled that you wish 1000+ people go unemployed. Which they wont. Worst case scenario is MS buying the studio.
At worst they will immediately find new work in other studios. Last time when relatively big studio was closed in Poland (Reality Pump) everyone who wanted had new job same day they were informed that studio will close. That's also why Blober had that suden jump in quality between Basement Crawl and Layers of Fear.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Character is determined by choices, the game offers plenty of choices in both gameplay and role playing.

I've played a misguided Corpo who was back stabbed by the establishment and ended up finding his lot with nomads that value human connection. I've played a netrunner who came from the streets and relished in the power struggle in Night City and rose to the top with sheer obsession.

Now I'm playing a disillusioned Nomad who came to Night City and is pissed off at what the world is: both in and out of Night City. He's so depressed that Johnny's influence makes him more erratic and, ultimately, he'll give up his body in the pursuit of happiness in Cyberspace as a last ditch effort at any meaningful existence.

Next there's is a Corpo ninja who wants back into the corporate game at all costs.

These characters also play differently:

the first was a stealth solo,
the second was a pure netrunner
the third was a street fighter / quick hacker hybrid
the last one will be stealth and blades

I'm not gonna burst your bubble if you enjoy being a passive consumer. Go nuts...
Its passive of me to want the products i buy to work and have the features that were promised? If you enjoy licking corporate boots, i wont shit on your parade

Top Bottom