• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters/Ipsos poll: One in eight people who voted for Trump having second thoughts

KSweeley

Finally, some Trump voters are having second thoughts about Trump: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-poll-idUSKBN1A5127

July 20, 2017

NEW YORK (Reuters) - About one in eight people who voted for President Donald Trump said they are not sure they would do so again after witnessing Trump's tumultuous first six months in office, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll of 2016 voters.

While most of the people who voted for Trump on Nov. 8 said they would back him again, the erosion of support within his winning coalition of older, disaffected, mostly white voters poses a potential challenge for the president. Trump, who won the White House with the slimmest of margins, needs every last supporter behind him to push his agenda through a divided Congress and potentially win a second term in 2020.

The poll surveyed voters who had told Reuters/Ipsos on Election Day how they had cast their ballots. While other surveys have measured varying levels of disillusionment among Trump supporters, the Reuters/Ipsos poll shows how many would go as far as changing the way they voted. The survey was carried out first in May and then again in July.

The minority of Trump voters who said they would not vote for him again gave varying reasons in interviews for why they had changed their minds.

Some were tired of his daily trolling of Democrats, the media and the judiciary. Some were disappointed that the Trump administration has not yet swept illegal immigrants out of their communities. Others said the president has not ended the mistrust and hyper-partisanship in Washington as much as they had hoped.

I know people will say its not a lot but that represents 7+ million voters. Much more than enough to swing a re-election since he sure as hell isn't gaining any significant amount of new voters.

Heroman

Banned
4a4.gif

Anyone who says "that's it"

1) it's been only half a year full of self made chaos

2) there has been no actual disaster yet for him to deal with. Imagine what happens when Trump has to deal with, say, an Ebola epidemic?

3) The Russian investigation is still ramping up and more bombs will be dropped.

4) Losing one eighth of his support is a fucking lot

2) there has been no actual disaster yet for him to deal with. Imagine what happens when Trump has to deal with, say, an Ebola epidemic?

3) Losing one eighth of his support is a fucking lot

Second thoughts doesn't mean he lost all of them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Some of them sound like they're disappointed more that Trump hasn't been able to enact all of his horrible shitty campaign promises.

KHarvey16

His "strongly approve" numbers have been plummeting ever since the election. People clinging to the narrative that he has this vast unmoving base have always been wrong.

3) Losing one eighth of his support is a fucking lot
The 1/8 are merely "not sure" if they would vote for him again, not definitively saying they wouldn't vote for him.

The 1/8 are merely "not sure" if they would vote for him again, not definitively saying they wouldn't vote for him.

A large portion of his base are people who voted him in because they wanted something new.

If they are unsatisfied with Trump six months in out of a four year term, how do you think an extrapolation is going to look like mid 2019?

Trump isn't going to change, the Russian investigation is only going to grow and he's going to continue to lash out and do the same things the people who voted for him don't want him to do.

3) The Russian investigation is still ramping up and more bombs will be dropped.

4) Losing one eighth of his support is a fucking lot

Yeah, if he's bleeding support like this only six months into his presidency, and nothing of great import has even happened, imagine what his support will look like in a year.

Even if Trump lasts this whole term, I don't see him winning a second. Liberals will be more energized to vote, even if just to get him out, a chunk of his base will be disenchanted by his inability to enact change, and that's assuming the special investigation doesn't destroy his credibility or some disaster happens that he (will inevitably) bungle.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Who the FUCK are these people??

They're conservative voters. They won't change their mind about anything unless the consequences of their decisions personally effects their lives (and even then there's only a slim chance they'll regret it). We get involved in an unjustified war and send soldiers off to die, the economy collapses and small business owners take a hit, their health care goes away, their taxes go up, or the price of gas dramatically increases.... and then yeah, maybe a few more people will have second thoughts. But don't expect too much from his hardcore base. Trump is the type of person they have wanted for years. They're not going to give up on him unless it smacks them in the face and impacts their lives.

Mesoian

that's all?

That's it, huh?

Die hard Trump fans don't give a fuck. The smartest of them see his tenure as a way to get rich. The dumbest of them don't know when the wool has been pulled over their eyes. Either way, it's a "fuck you got mine" mentality.

Keep dreaming.

When he wins reelection in 2020:
bIuzpwQ.gif

Real talk, replace that text with "but her emails" and it'll probably be a lot closer to the truth of a year from now.

Keeps sabotaging ACA but can't make something remotely as good on their own. RIP healthcare...

A large portion of his base are people who voted him in because they wanted something new.

If they are unsatisfied with Trump six months in out of a four year term, how do you think an extrapolation is going to look like mid 2019?
and despite that large portion only 1 of 8 are "not sure" if they'd vote for him again? I'd expect more. Hence my post.

What does that gif have to do with anything?

Also, I sure would like your crystal ball

It's a joke. Iirc, that person being obliterated was Sarah Connor. I'm with her, get it?

Anyway, I have very low expectations for 2020. Don't get your hopes up. Trump voters will most likely stick with Trump when the time comes.

Neoweee

Hard to really judge these numbers unless you have good and meaningful historical comparisons. This seems pretty normal for presidents that start in a grace period and fall about ~10 points or whatever in their first few months.

and despite that large portion only 1 of 8 are "not sure" if they'd vote for him again? I'd expect more. Hence my post.

If you expected more out of this short of time period I think you're getting your hopes up for little reason other than you projecting your own personal feelings onto those who voted for him.

rjinaz

I know people will say its not a lot but that represents 7+ million voters. Much more than enough to swing a re-election since he sure as hell isn't gaining any significant amount of new voters.

That's my thinking and also it's early. Fatigue will set in even more so after another 3 years. The man is finished afaic

RPGCrazied

Some people are still forgetting he barely won. Just by thousands of votes in some states.

Even some breakage at this point is big news.

Hard to really judge these numbers unless you have good and meaningful historical comparisons. This seems pretty normal for presidents that start in a grace period and fall about ~10 points or whatever in their first few months.

Honeymoon phase doesn't end with a drop off of ten + points.

Also there was literally no honeymoon phase for Trump, he started off at record lows for an incoming president and is at record lows for every point in time after he took office.

Mesoian

If you expected more out of this short of time period I think you're getting your hopes up for little reason other than you projecting your own personal feelings onto those who voted for him.

I don't think it's crazy to expect the status quo from the first 6 months.

I don't think it's crazy to feel like your interests, regardless of what side of the aisle you're on, aren't being catered to by this administration.

It's probably worth noting that his support increased in that poll since May.

He gained back nearly everyone who said they would not vote at all given a second chance.

Edit: I'm kind of stunned no one in Trumpland or Fox etc. (that I heard, anyway) pointed out that Trump and Bill Clinton were polling approximately the same at this point in their terms. Well, it's more like Bill bottomed out to Trump's level in June, but he's comfortably back in the mid-40s by August and at 50% by the fall. Which I, uh, don't see happening for Trump.

chadtwo

On the one hand, it's sad (though not necessarily surprising) that that's all.

On the other hand, it's even more sad that if even just those 1 in 8 people who are now having second thoughts had those same thoughts back in November, things might be radically different today.

Top Bottom