• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters - Putin ally tells Americans: vote Trump or face nuclear war

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you guys dismiss Zhyrynovsky as a clown keep in mind that he was the one who started talking about taking Crimea back. And back then it seemed like clown talk. He is a clown but he is Putin-controlled clown.

RobertM

Ah, Vladimir Zhirinovsky, he's like Alex Jones of Russia, garbage keeps coming out of his mouth and no one can stop him.

dracula_x

Before you guys dismiss Zhyrynovsky as a clown keep in mind that he was the one who started talking about taking Crimea back. And back then it seemed like clown talk. He is a clown but he is Putin-controlled clown.

He wasn't the only one who talked about this.

Also, Zhyrynovsky doesn't predict anything, he's a populist. He speaks what people want to hear, that's it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Drone strike. Leave a smouldering crater the last place anyone threatening nuclear war was standing.

/sardonicism

Trumps popularity in Russia is almost as weird as David Hasselhoffs fame in Germany. When Trump loses, he should move to Russia and get citizenship there, and build a new Trump Tower next door to Eric Snowdens house
The thing is, I could actually see this happening. He could be the person he is without facing all of this criticism.

He is such a fucking baby I could imagine him saying "you know what? Fuck all of you. I'm moving to Russia."

He wasn't the only one who talked about this.

Also, Zhyrynovsky doesn't predict anything, he's a populist. He speaks what people want to hear, that's it.

Well that's kind of a scary indicator of popular Russian sentiment.

Well that's kind of a scary indicator of popular Russian sentiment.
Like the far right of any country all they want to hear is 'our country has a big meaty weapon and we're the strongest and the fastest and the bestest ever!'. its disgusting that it works but its working in the US and you can see it in the post-colonial fever-dreams of some of Europe too. Mainly the UK but I've piled on that enough today.

So what is the general sentiment of "normal" mainstream Russians, and the most common reaction to statements like this and Russia's recent posturing?

Do we have any Russians on GAF who can comment?

Kqep5TV.jpg

Its a election year remember

Yeah, this.

aa5f0Av.png

Look at little Russia down there next to Spain, an economic beast of a country.
Whilst GDP is a good metric, they're far worse if you calculate their GDP PPP, putting Russia between Latvia and St. Kitts and Nevis (World Bank). Theirs no way their population will be happy with such a lifestyle is a supposed 'Russian Post-Soviet Superstate', or you'd think.

FStubbs

Hillary Clinton is the only candidate that doesn't want boots on the ground in Syria. Try again.

Not true. Gary Johnson barely knows where Syria is and doesn't want boots on the ground in any foreign country. Jill Stein doesn't want US boots to exist period.

wow this cant be true haha.

if it is, Once Russia is wiped out by the bombing they receive, Sweden claims the northwest parts of Russia! I want to go fishing there without having to pay a crazy amount of money.

Corto

Not true. Gary Johnson barely knows where Syria is and doesn't want boots on the ground in any foreign country. Jill Stein doesn't want US boots to exist period.

I stand corrected. But honestly my mistake was of not even remembering Gary Johnson and Jill Stein are running too.

Oriel

Zhirinovsky has been saying mad shit for years. He called for the Russian army to invade Ukraine and annex it during that country's revolution. Russia has a thing for mental Rasputin types. Another chap with the ear of the President is Alexandr Dugin, a staunch proponent of "Eurasianism" which, outwardly, calls for a vast continental "federation" from the French Atlantic coast to Vladivostok. But really it's a vehicle for Russian hegemony in Europe.

Putin BTW launched his alternative to the EU called the Eurasian Economic Union consisting of Russia, Belarus and Armenia. Ukraine was to have been a member and the crowing jewel in this reformed Soviet Union.....until the Ukrainian people thought better and decided centuries of living under Russian tyranny and misrule wasn't for them, instead opting for the European Union.

Oriel

Whilst GDP is a good metric, they're far worse if you calculate their GDP PPP, putting Russia between Latvia and St. Kitts and Nevis (World Bank). Theirs no way their population will be happy with such a lifestyle is a supposed 'Russian Post-Soviet Superstate', or you'd think.

I think you meant to say GDP per capita. GDP PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) is a more accurate method of gauging a country's economy. The above image shows GDP (nominal) which isn't as useful given distortions due to currency fluxuations. Here's GDP (PPP) for countries:

O3MMa3J.png

As you can see Russia is in the top ten largest economies in the world, just behind Germany, which is a respectable showing in fairness.

nope. Luzhkov, Zyuganov, Rogozin, etc.
Do you really not understand what I am saying or are you just pretending? First of all there's a difference between saying that Crimea is Russian and calling to take it back. Plus what does Luzhkov have to do with anything? He was a mayor of Moscow. Who cares what he thinks about international politics?

dracula_x

Do you really not understand what I am saying or are you just pretending? First of all there's a difference between saying that Crimea is Russian and calling to take it back. Plus what does Luzhkov have to do with anything? He was a mayor of Moscow. Who cares what he thinks about international politics?

Ugh, please, stop. Luzhkov was a major figure in Russian politics in 90s.

Edit: you should probably read more about 1999-2000 elections in Russia. Before Putin, Luzhkov had a good chance to become next Russian president.

I'd rather face Nuclear War then have Trump as the President.

So, light those candles!

Kennedy proved Russia didn't have the balls to do it in the 60s and I doubt anything has changed since then.

Noted American dingbat Jill Stein seems to be receiving the same talking points:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...d_syria_policy_could_start_a_nuclear_war.html

Jill Stein: Trump Is Less Dangerous Than Clinton; She Will Start Nuclear War With Russia

It is now Hillary Clinton that wants to start an air war with Russia over Syria by calling for a no fly zone.

We have 2000 nuclear missiles on hairtrigger alert. They are saying we are closer to a nuclear war than we have ever been.

Under Hillary Clinton, we could slide into nuclear war very quickly from her declared policy in Syria.

I sure won't sleep well at night if Donald Trump is elected, but I sure won't sleep well at night if Hillary Clinton elected. We have another choice other than these two candidates who are both promoting lethal policies.

On the issue of war and nuclear weapons, it is actually Hillary's policies which are much scarier than Donald Trump who does not want to go to war with Russia.

Noted American dingbat Jill Stein seems to be receiving the same talking points:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...d_syria_policy_could_start_a_nuclear_war.html

Jill Stein: Trump Is Less Dangerous Than Clinton; She Will Start Nuclear War With Russia

She's just another puppet. Her role is solely to be a spoiler - She has no ambitions of her own beyond Putin's paycheck.

I look forward to NATO restoring order and purging all the traitorous scum like Trump, Stein, Bachmann, Farage, Le Pen, Duterte, and the whole lot. We must restore our dominance over the Russians, and that list is but a small excerpt of those who must be made examples of so Putin can know his place.

I_D

What the heck is Putin doing? First off, he won't even do anything, because he (most likely) knows better.

If he even remotely attempts nuclear war on the US, Russia will be blown into oblivion.

I doubt a war will actually reach nuclear proportions, but if it does there isn't a chance in hell Russia would win. He's seriously underestimating the capabilities of the US's nuclear options.

They are saying we are closer to a nuclear war than we have ever been.

Who are they?

What the heck is Putin doing? First off, he won't even do anything, because he (most likely) knows better.

If he even remotely attempts nuclear war on the US, Russia will be blown into oblivion.

I doubt a war will actually reach nuclear proportions, but if it does there isn't a chance in hell Russia would win. He's seriously underestimating the capabilities of the US's nuclear options.

He's trying to influence the election. Things will calm down by January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom