• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review with Forrest MacNeil - Season 3 |OT| These pancakes couldn't kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

That was probably the best way to end the series, even if it was a bit rushed. It was the perfect punishment for Forrest that he loses everything even after he had the perfect out. Grant is such an evil, manipulative bastard. Now, Forrest is stuck in his own personal Hell that he brought about.

big ander

Kinda a bad ending, frankly.

I like the idea of "being pranked" being the last review in theory. But the ending itself was so anticlimactic, especially compared to the previous seasons. Like, you don't even seen the lights in the studio shut off or anything. We don't see any of what happens after—does he try to stay in the studio when a new show moves in? When he's kicked out where does he go? Does the camera crew keep following him? The way it happens is so abrupt and so normal, and that's odd.

More than that this whole third season felt mishandled. As Daly said in that sepinwall interview, the show had such bad ratings that it could've ended after season 2 but Kent Alterman worked it out so they could make a few more. That could've been fine if they'd been turned around more quickly, or if they'd all been aired on one night/week in a big event, or even if we'd just known ahead of time that it would definitely be only three episodes. Instead it took a year and a half to air, the airing was unceremonious, and the mystery of the episode count backfired completely. For anybody who knew the episode count was a mystery, the reveal that it would just be three is disappointing. For those who had no idea it was happening, it's confusing. And then there are the people who may have binged the show before the final eps if they'd known it would just be three.

I dunno. These final episodes were fine but...I sorta wish it had just been canceled after season 2.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Interesting end. It's funny how Forrest is going to be superficially okay in this altered reality ignorance, but he needs to hit a devastating rock bottom revelation to ever come out of it.

I immediately knew who that last suggestion provider was despite not having seen the original show.

Kinda a bad ending, frankly.

I like the idea of "being pranked" being the last review in theory. But the ending itself was so anticlimactic, especially compared to the previous seasons. Like, you don't even seen the lights in the studio shut off or anything. We don't see any of what happens after—does he try to stay in the studio when a new show moves in? When he's kicked out where does he go? Does the camera crew keep following him? The way it happens is so abrupt and so normal, and that's odd.

More than that this whole third season felt mishandled. As Daly said in that sepinwall interview, the show had such bad ratings that it could've ended after season 2 but Kent Alterman worked it out so they could make a few more. That could've been fine if they'd been turned around more quickly, or if they'd all been aired on one night/week in a big event, or even if we'd just known ahead of time that it would definitely be only three episodes. Instead it took a year and a half to air, the airing was unceremonious, and the mystery of the episode count backfired completely. For anybody who knew the episode count was a mystery, the reveal that it would just be three is disappointing. For those who had no idea it was happening, it's confusing. And then there are the people who may have binged the show before the final eps if they'd known it would just be three.

I dunno. These final episodes were fine but...I sorta wish it had just been canceled after season 2.
That's on Comedy Central, not the writers. These episodes were shot last June/July.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The ending was rushed but conceptually brilliant. The show was about how his life was made to fall apart and only the increasingly-religious devotion to the concept of life reviewing gave him any meaning or respite. To lose everything and fall completely into the delusion is the natural end for it.

big ander

Interesting end. It's funny how Forrest is going to be superficially okay in this altered reality ignorance, but he needs to hit a devastating rock bottom revelation to ever come out of it.

I immediately knew who that last suggestion provider was despite not having seen the original show.

That's on Comedy Central, not the writers. These episodes were shot last June/July.

I know, I'm blaming Comedy Central in that post for mishandling season 3, as they were def the ones who decided the episode count and air date. and I imagine also the ones who decided keeping the episode count a secret was a good strategy, for some reason

It's nice someone at the net wanted to give the show a proper send-off, but bringing it back for this truncated season was not that. gonna rewatch s3 soon since it's only 60min to be sure of my disappointment, but for now I stand by that I would've preferred it to just end suddenly after season 2.

B.K.

The ending was rushed but conceptually brilliant. The show was about how his life was made to fall apart and only the increasingly-religious devotion to the concept of life reviewing gave him any meaning or respite. To lose everything and fall completely into the delusion is the natural end for it.

I wonder if Forrest really does believe it's a prank or if that was the final straw and he finally snapped and lost his mind. He may have finally gone insane. For a long time, I wondered if there really was a show and if everything with AJ, Grant, and the people in his office was all a delusion and he was just going insane, but they ruined that theory when people outside the office and studio started to acknowledge the show was real.

A lot of stuff early in the series didn't make sense if there really was a show. Suzanne, for example, should have known about Review. She should have known what it was about and that Forrest was acting like he did because of the show, but from what I remember, she never even mentioned the show until the season one finale.

Blastoise

Banned
I had no idea it was the last ever episode. Caught me by surprise.

I think the concept actually worked. The weird pacing of this season also now makes sense.

o7 Forrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom