• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revisiting the PS4 Pro Boost Mode and its effect on games (while we wait for PS5)

cormack12

Gold Member
Seems a mixed bag with what it was able to overcome. Some were engine based, CPU based and some were just bad choices made at shipping.

Summary of games tested

Bloodborne // 40 seconds

• Was already generally 'smooth';
  • Boost mode was not meant to address the frame pacing issue;
  • Boost mode did maintain 30fps when frames were dropped in original;
  • Still 'drops' the odd frame like the original but negligible;

Dark Souls III (pre Pro Patch) // 3min 55seconds
  • Was already generally 'smooth';
  • Boost mode did maintain 30fps when frames were dropped in original;
  • Still 'drops' the odd frame like the origina but negligiblel;

Dark Souls II: SotFS // 5min 27seconds
  • Ran at 60fps on base, but had signficiant drops throughout;
  • Maintained 60fps that chugged as low as ~50fps on the base;
  • Improved CPU speed managed to maintain during heavy physic based scenes;

Lords of the Fallen // 6min 57seconds
  • Maintained 30fps during drops to as low as cinematic eye 24fps;
  • Still get very minor drops at times from 1-2fps but these are negligible;

The Evil Within // 8min 10seconds
  • Base mode had severe drops in game to 18 fps;
  • Boost mode seems hit and miss, able to get problematic scenes closer to 30 but still goes as low as 23fps. Seemed to be bound to the CPU and virtual texturing;
  • Boost mode helps but doesn't fix fundamental issues to give you a steady 30;

Until Dawn // 10min 00seconds
  • Runs on Decima;
  • Unlocked frame rate which made the performance schizophrenic;
  • Boost mode managed to push up to 37fps at times, but also dropped as low as 22fps. Didn't really seem to overcome the issues so was largely pointless. Still left end user with juddery experience and wild fluctuating frame rates;
  • 30fps cap might have benefitted overall performance smoothness with significant drops;

Oddworld: New and Tasty // 11min 55seconds
  • Unlocked frame rate, based on Unity engine;
  • Base version highly variable, staying around 40fps;
  • Boost mode gives you an extra 10 frames usually hovering around 50;
  • Smoother experience but still not able to get smooth 60 from 40;

Witcher 3 // 13min 23seconds
  • Fully patched by CDPR almost gave a locked 30fps on base model;
  • Boost mode does cover those scenes which drop the fps into 24fps territory though;
  • Crookback bog now runs generally well on base PS4 with minimal drops and none in boost mode;

Arkham Knight // 15min 58seconds
  • Driving scenes on base had screen tearing and drops into 25fps territory;
  • Not a significant problem but jarring when it happens, boost mode helps smooth this out to locked 30fps;

Last edited:

Banned
that Boost mode was not that great, it simply runs the same amount of CUs but at slightly higher clocks.

even the One X's "boost mode" was way above that even tho it only used 50% of its GPU power, but that 50% would still mean a more than 2x increase compared to the base Xbox One

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
As a former pro owner the only two games I felt like I got real use out of it's beefed up specs were Horizon and God of War.

TonyK

The problem is that if a game is caped a 30fps a boost mode even in PS7 will make the game run at 30fps if they don't change some code. And I fear Sony will invest between zero and fuck you in a change to improve performance for free.

Last edited:

RookX22

If you played any fps targeting 60 fps on the pro you would tell the difference in the frame rate and resolution. All the battlefields and call of dutys felt and looked alot better on the pro imo.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
So all in all Pro was a total joke if you wanted extra perf.
The frame bump made bloodborne much more enjoyable actually. Also not boost related, but the native HDR on the pro is head and shoulders above the simHDR of the base/slim almost to the point of making it worth the upgrade alone if you have a decent display.

Vick

Most games with performance problems went locked on Pro with boost mode.

But still, nothing compared to Microsoft solution released shortly after.

Vick

I really hope Arkham knight runs better on ps5...
Arkham Knight since Pro launched is 100% locked though.. if you’re hoping for a 4K 60fps patch i don’t really see it coming, but would be awesome since it’s one the very, very few instances i preferred the console version and never wanted to 100% it again with all challenges and stars in every DLC earned.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
Top Bottom