• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revo K101+ (GBA hardware clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stalker

In the page they offer as optional a EURO plug AC adapter. But the picture of this accesory does not seem to be a micro USB cable, not sure if I need this or not.

Rich!

In the page they offer as optional a EURO plug AC adapter. But the picture of this accesory does not seem to be a micro USB cable, not sure if I need this or not.

You don't need it. You probably have a million USB power adapters at home already!

stalker

I just ordered, the blue one which is cheaper at the moment. Big GBA lover here, I have a nice collection. I hope this thing delivers!

Looks intriguing! This thread is as good of place as any to gloat about my purchase of a good condition game boy micro from little mom and pop store for $60 yesterday =D

Rich!

Found one issue. Might be an issue with just my unit.

The headphone socket. It doesn't work properly. You have to push the jack in and keep it there for it to work.

But I've already fixed it. the issue was that the plastic surrounding the port was too thick by a few mm - just shaved a bit off with a knife. Works fine now. Sound is fantastic through headphones - no crosstalk or noise which was always an issue with the GBA. The amp is loud as hell too.

I do not understand why you would buy a clone console when you can just get an emulation device or original hardware. Compatibility is a very minor issue for the most part. There are some games that are much better on proper hardware such as Boktai, but outside of those cases basically everything that isn't compatible isn't worth playing.

Rich!

I do not understand why you would buy a clone console when you can just get an emulation device or original hardware. Compatibility is a very minor issue for the most part. There are some games that are much better on proper hardware such as Boktai, but outside of those cases basically everything that isn't compatible isn't worth playing.

I take it you did not read my OP.

Thanks for that.

To elaborate just to save you the trouble, read the first paragraph to understand why GBA games on the real hardware is hit and miss (the screen and form factors). Then bear in mind the cost. This thing is £40. Anyhow, whatever.

Also, stop with the emulation talk. This device is targeted to those with a collection of game boy advance cartridges who want to play on a backlit screen without paying over £100.

I take it you did not read my OP.

Thanks for that.
I read your OP, and I'm familiar with this device as well as every other option for playing gameboy games.

I don't think you did a good job of actually distinguishing this product from the other options. This very much seems like a "jack of all trades master of none" solution, and I don't find that appealing.

If you want raw IQ, then you should go with a GBP running through Swiss or with the homebrew launcher, a micro, or emulation.

If you want compatibility, go with original hardware of any kind (except the micro, if you value GB/GBC compatiblity, which I'm not actually sure the K101 has).

If you want convenience or cost, then go with an emulation device.

Rich!

Fine, whatever. it's not for you.

You still missed the mark on every single point.

I own a backlit modded GBA OG. I prefer the Revo. Superior battery life, great screen, four face buttons and imo a better DPad. It's a GBA - how is it a " jack of all trades"? Unlike emulation devices, it is literally built for one thing.

And it plays all of my cartridge games. My PSP, Vita and N3DS can't do that.

I mean, this console isn't without fault as I've noted previously. It's simply a low cost way of getting a backlit GBA. That's it. No need to compare it to anything else.

Fine, whatever. it's not for you.

You still missed the mark on every single point.

And "jack of trades, master of none"? I own a backlit modded GBA OG. I prefer the Revo.

Where did I miss the mark? I don't feel any of the statements I made are remotely controversial lol.

And that's great. Preferences and what not. I don't understand why my disagreeing with you necessitates missing a point/not knowing as much as you/etc.

I read your OP, and I'm familiar with this device as well as every other option for playing gameboy games.

I don't think you did a good job of actually distinguishing this product from the other options. This very much seems like a "jack of all trades master of none" solution, and I don't find that appealing.

If you want raw IQ, then you should go with a GBP running through Swiss or with the homebrew launcher, a micro, or emulation.

If you want compatibility, go with original hardware of any kind (except the micro, if you value GB/GBC compatiblity, which I'm not actually sure the K101 has).

If you want convenience or cost, then go with an emulation device.

While I don't think the K101 is a perfect device, it is a perfect device for someone.

What's perfect for you might not be what someone else is looking for and the flaws you find in this device may be non-issues for someone else. You're taking a very itemized look at the alternatives and that approach ignores the real world issues that arise from "living with" the device.

Maybe someone doesn't want to go the GBP route because that's removes the flexibility that comes with a game designed for a portable system. That's why some people don't want a PS TV even though it's a cheaper alternative to the Vita.

Original hardware is there, but the best ones everyone wants are getting expensive and all carry their own disadvantages. No backlight on the originals, no headphone jack on the SP, Micro is a little too small for some people.

Most of the emulation alternatives are Android based, and I don't care what you run you are going to find some lag on an Android gaming platform. Another alternative is a GCW Zero, but those have hit-and-miss build quality and support is lacking, they can also be hard to configure for a newbie (that goes for Android too).

Overall, there's a lot to like about the K101. It's cheap, it's portable, it's accurate (from what I hear), they're all backlit, it has great battery life, it comes with its own flashcart and their build quality is improving (this is the only thing that keep me from ordering). If you put that next to any GBA made by Nintendo you can be sure some people will chose the K101. Maybe not you (or me), but it is the right device for someone.

Overall, there's a lot to like about the K101. It's cheap, it's portable, it's accurate (from what I hear), they're all backlit, it has great battery life, it comes with its own flashcart and their build quality is improving (this is the only thing that keep me from ordering). If you put that next to any GBA made by Nintendo you can be sure some people will chose the K101. Maybe not you (or me), but it is the right device for someone.

This is what I would describe as a jack of all trades, master of none product lol. It does a lot of things, but any single thing isn't best. The sum of its parts can be appealing for someone who wants all those things combined, but for someone looking for a specific aspect, there are better alternatives. I am the type who finds the more specified approaches more appealing.

And like I said, it's perfectly fine to enjoy these things. I'm not putting anyone down for that. I just personally don't see the appeal for the reasons I've outlined. I would rather play on my micro if I'm on the go, or play an emulator on my PSP or phone or laptop if I'm limited in what devices I can bring, or play on my monitor through a gameboy player if I'm streaming or sitting at my desk or looking for nice IQ. And others would rather play on this. And that's ok.

Rich!

This is what I would describe as a jack of all trades, master of none product lol. It does a lot of things, but any single thing isn't best.

The hell?

You're not making any sense here. It is significantly better than the stock OG GBA in almost every single way.

The hell?

You're not making any sense here. It is significantly better than the stock OG GBA in almost every single way.

the stock OG GBA is not particularly good at any single thing, either lol. I already outlined what I think the strongest performers are in the factors I think are significant.

soultron

Banned
Holy moly that opaque white shell is crazy hot. It's not listed on their site, AFAIK. Is that shell for sale anywhere?

Rich!

the stock OG GBA is not particularly good at any single thing, either lol. I already outlined what I think the strongest performers are in the factors I think are significant.

Oh sod off shitting up this thread.

You've made your point. It's not for you as it doesn't cater to your personal tastes. Who gives a shit.

Rich!

Had enough of shitstirrers today. Not doing well with stress right now, and I swear the next person who pisses me off will regret it whether it's in real life or here.

I'm out. I'll be back in the new year if I ever change my mind about coming back here. Doubtful.

Gaogaogao

Had enough of shitstirrers today. Not doing well with stress right now, and I swear the next person who pisses me off will regret it whether it's in real life or here.

I'm out. I'll be back in the new year if I ever change my mind about coming back here. Doubtful.

thank you for bringing this device to my attention! I think its cool!

Grief.exe

Holy moly that opaque white shell is crazy hot. It's not listed on their site, AFAIK. Is that shell for sale anywhere?

I get the impression they are sold out. I agree best looking version.

2nkt1PW.gif

Edit: not being sarcastic, trying to be helpful.

butalala

Dude you need to learn to let things go. If you don't like what someone is talking about in a thread and you've said your piece, just find somewhere else to hang out.

Does anyone have a copy of the original OP? It looks like Rich! removed it but I'm interested in impressions and information.

I'm really interested how well it would run Mother 3.

Jebusman

Banned
Dude you need to learn to let things go. If you don't like what someone is talking about in a thread and you've said your piece, just find somewhere else to hang out.

He needs to learn?

The OP threw a hissy fit that a single person was stating their opinion, took his ball and went home.

Like, the guy antagonizing him over this being just a "jack of all trades" wasn't great, but it's not like he was stating anything entirely controversial.

Wow. Now that is a meltdown. I like you Rich, but maybe take a day off and rest. You honestly seem a bit stressed out.

Morts

I kind of want one. I've flirted with the idea of a backlit modded GBA before but they gotten pretty pricey. This seems like it could be a good compromise.

In terms of GBA hardware, if you're at the point of ditching the link port and dealing with A/B in the wrong place in order to get a decent-quality backlit screen, you might as well just get a DS Lite and use that. At least then you'll have 100% compatibility and not have to deal with the quirks of clone hardware.

Edit: apparently this revision has a link port.

dock

I'm surprised that people in this thread are cool with playing games in the wrong aspect ratio and/or with blurry upscaled pixels.

240x160 doesn't scale nicely into 640x480.

I sometimes play Gameboy games scaled and blurry on the PSP Go or 3DS, but that's because there are no better options. I'm still itching to find a sensibly priced GBA SP 101, however.

Right, well, ignoring...well, most of the topic, I quite like the look of the device. There's obviously the question of worth of buying a device that only emulates the one console when there's other on the market, but on the other hand that console has an incredible library, plus it acutally can use the cartridges which is a big plus.

I want it. But on the other hand, I already have a GBA SP that still works.

Grief.exe

I'm surprised that people in this thread are cool with playing games in the wrong aspect ratio and/or with blurry upscaled pixels.

240x160 doesn't scale nicely into 640x480.

I sometimes play Gameboy games scaled and blurry on the PSP Go or 3DS, but that's because there are no better options. I'm still itching to find a sensibly priced GBA SP 101, however.

He discussed the 1:1 mode in the OP.

He only touched on it though, seemed to enjoy the full screen option.

Grief.exe

pixel perfect gives you the screen size of the Gameboy Micro, which is too small imo.

You sure?

I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence from the pictures initially posted in the op, but it seemed like it was still upscaling just not stretching the image to the native resolution of the display.

dock

You sure?

I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence from the pictures initially posted in the op, but it seemed like it was still upscaling just not stretching the image to the native resolution of the display.

39Cqid2.jpg

From what I can tell, it's about 3% bigger than the Gameboy Micro if you play pixel perfect at 480x320. I don't think it's doing any upscaler style processing on the image, it's just blurring the pixels a bit. Perhaps you can play some games at 720x480 if you don't care about content on edges of the screen.

Still much better than nearest neighbour scaling, like the NES classics on GBA.

Grief.exe

39Cqid2.jpg

From what I can tell, it's about 3% bigger than the Gameboy Micro if you play pixel perfect at 480x320. I don't think it's doing any upscaler style processing on the image, it's just blurring the pixels a bit. Perhaps you can play some games at 720x480 if you don't care about content on edges of the screen.

Still much better than nearest neighbour scaling, like the NES classics on GBA.

I got the impression from the pictures he was posting that there was an upscaled mode that doesn't stretch the image to meet the native resolution.

I may have been mistaken.

dock

I got the impression from the pictures he was posting that there was an upscaled mode that doesn't stretch the image to meet the native resolution.

I may have been mistaken.
720x480 is pixel perfect, but crops 11% off the sides of the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom