• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard Spencer may be rallying at Univ. of Florida next...what is the way forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omadahl

Banned
This isn't a hearts and minds game. This is a punch these assholes back into their trailer game. If they are allowed to show up when and wherever they want without recourse, they will do it more often, more emphatically and eventually more dangerously to the point where they might just decide to burn down a business or try to publicly kill someone. This is a slippery slope and we stop it by countering with our fists.

The University President doesn't seem to have a choice in the matter?

Unless I'm reading this wrong.

No, he is pretending he has none. I would imagine that all colleges' rules do not permit violence, inciting violence, threats, and some type of racial harrasment laws in their code, for anywhere on campus.
Plus there is the whole reserving space thing, so he is giving them a platform in exchange for money.

Not

Banned
And again, if that Richard Spencer GIF makes you feel discomfort in any way rather than nearly unhinged joy, 99.3% chance I know two things about you:

1. You're a white guy

2. You're somehow afraid of getting punched for being a white guy even though you're not a Nazi

III-V

all is lost. Nazi are now a 'different opinion'

This isn't a hearts and minds game. This is a punch these assholes back into their trailer game. If they are allowed to show up when and wherever they want without recourse, they will do it more often, more emphatically and eventually more dangerously to the point where they might just decide to burn down a business or try to publicly kill someone. This is a slippery slope and we stop it by countering with our fists.

This is not the trailer park and we need to stop insinuating that it is. This is organized, youthful angry radicals MAGA white American.

The Kree

Banned
Large, peaceful counter-protests. Seriously.

This is not the answer. We're in a never-ending competition for hearts and minds, particularly of the impressionable youth. Racist use events like this to argue (with the greatest hypocrisy) that the left are violently silencing free speech, and they attract young, often disillusioned, white people to their cause. Those same young dumb people don't have to go that way, and we should do everything in our power to ensure that they don't. Even though he deserves it and much worse, punching Richard Spencer (and his ilk) is not the answer.

If the right continue in their violence and the left does not engage in it, the left wins the hearts and minds game.

You're working for them.

No, he is pretending he has none. I would imagine that all colleges' rules do not permit violence, inciting violence, threats, and some type of racial harrasment laws in their code, for anywhere on campus.
Plus there is the whole reserving space thing, so he is giving them a platform in exchange for money.
Yes, I think given the history of Spencer and his group, it is very easy to deny this based on the inevitable happening. They incite violence. So on those grounds, they should be barred.

I'm not sure why his general counsel isn't working overtime to craft the appropriate statement on it.

bachikarn

UF has one of the largest Jewish student populations of all colleges in the country. Don't think the students are just going to ignore the Neo Nazis.

As an alum, I definitely don't support the decision to allow Spencer etc. If there is legally nothing the university can do, okay I guess.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

This is not the answer. We're in a never-ending competition for hearts and minds, particularly of the impressionable youth. Racist use events like this to argue (with the greatest hypocrisy) that the left are violently silencing free speech, and they attract young, often disillusioned, white people to their cause. Those same young dumb people don't have to go that way, and we should do everything in our power to ensure that they don't. Even though he deserves it and much worse, punching Richard Spencer (and his ilk) is not the answer.

If the right continue in their violence and the left does not engage in it, the left wins the hearts and minds game.
How the fuck can you even remotely say this after yesterday?

BenjiGAF

Maybe this is distasteful, but I think people should protest silently and just hold up photos of American soldiers who fought and sacrificed everything to fight Nazis in WWII. Maybe even hold up photos of true Americans who fought the confederacy in the Civil War.

They need to see what true Americans look like.

I like this better than "Hit people" tbh. Sends a more powerful message

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Would you like to read an enormous and comprehensive counter-argument to what you're saying?

Start on this page. Scroll down. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418784&page=36

It continues for fifteen pages. At least. Settle in.

I've read much of it. There's very little in the way of argument. Here's a link to research about non-violent protest, on the other hand:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...ved=0ahUKEwjLuru9-dTVAhVnjVQKHdA5DPMQgQMIJjAA

I understand the primal urge, but it doesn't work. Think about what you value, and think about how you're going to get it. Violence is not the answer. Violence pushes dumbasses who might join your cause to the other side.

You're working for them.
This is seriously the worst kind of counterproductive nonsense. Not only are you not fighting for your cause, you're fighting someone who is clearly interested in similar long term outcomes about whether you should engage in violent protest. You're not trying to convince me. You're dismissing me as not one of you because I'm arguing that violence is counterproductive. It's seriously insane. Again, what do you care for? How are your actions achieving it? Don't fall for the emotional trap.

Kusagari

The world isn't as naive and idealistic as your final sentence implies.

Counter protest groups are already starting to organize themselves into a coalition in preparation, according to the No Nazi's at UF Facebook page.

The main desire there seems to be for a nonviolent counter-demonstration, perhaps a little interference such as by taking up parking near the school. There are a few who are arguing the event should just be ignored as promoted by President Fuchs but it doesn't seem to be popular viewpoint. I personally like President Fuchs even if I don't agree with him here, and I'd like to believe that his hands are legally tied here, though obviously I'd prefer some pretext to not allow this to happen.

Worst thing is that the 12th is a school day. I'll probably still attend class, but will obviously be a little more cautious.

Dadasch

Worked great in the 1930's OH SHIT WAIT
Look at the posts in this very thread...nearly all of them are eager to ridicule or use violence against these Nazis.
It's like they don't take this serious enough but it should be taken very serious, because this shit will spread more and more if you don't get to the core of the problem: Allowing hate speech in the first place.

It's not the time for pseudo-intellectual, witty, sarcastic comments. It's time for some initiative. Do something about it, go protest, regularly and inform people in your surroundings that Hate speech doesn't fall under Freedom of speech. If they don't get it, do it as long as you have to. Educate yourself on this matter and do some history research...

No. You're wrong and have no understanding of Nazis in history. The best way to deal with them is to put them down. There is no conversation to be had.

border

I don't really understand the letter from the University president. It sounds like they actually can say "NO" to this group without legal repurcussion, but for some reason it is still "under discussion".

I think the smart move is just to provide them with an "estimate" of security costs that is some astronomical, unaffordable amount. Like 10M for 10,000 security officers. After Charlottesville you can pretty easily justify it.

All this kumbayay shit tells me is that you spend all your time on neogaf and have never been in an altercation in your life

I have class on campus all day that Tuesday

It could very well get violent, and President Fuchs' message is clearly not going to happen (Ignoring the speech). I know of at least one Jewish frat that won't take kindly to hiss message, but we've had Nazi troubles/frats putting up Trump signs in the past. Probably won't be pretty

Nepenthe

Never forget that Trump got away with the entirety of the government by being a racist, sexist, xenophobic asshole, while people shat on Clinton for underestimating the amount of Americans who are irredeemable shitlords.

The right is not confused, nor are they lost. The right is pretty much conscious cartoon evil at this point. They do not give a fuck about equivalent moral standards across the board. They will call you a nigger to your face while clutching pearls when you call them racist over it. They don't care. It is obvious they don't care.

Stop treating them as if they need a talk. Negotiating is over.

Gotta win the hearts and minds game guys, even if it results in the hearts and minds of marginalized populations no longer beating or thinking.

[spoiler[/spoiler]

Hearts and minds game though.

Yeah we gonna get beaten to shit, but gotta win them hearts and minds. Right...

I know how to win hearts and minds, by driving Nazis out of this country by fucking them up.

Someone just punch him in the face please, preferably with brass knuckles.

Power of the punch.
power-punch.gif

Just wear a mask.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
All this kumbayay shit tells me is that you spend all your time on neogaf and have never been in an altercation in your life

Make an argument. You have no idea what my life has been like. My brother is in prison because he's black. My nephew has been through more hell than I can imagine because he grew up in the ghetto. I'm passionate about this because violence is the way we lose, and I'm terrified by how many of you don't see that.

Honestly I don't understand the whole "just debate them" mentality. How do you do that? How do you convince nazis that minorities are people who deserve human rights too? Like how the fuck do you even begin to make an argument for that? It should be self-explanatory. I don't know how you can possibly convert these people.

And again, if that Richard Spencer GIF makes you feel discomfort in any way rather than nearly unhinged joy, 99.3% chance I know two things about you:

1. You're a white guy

2. You're somehow afraid of getting punched for being a white guy even though you're not a Nazi

This tbh

Make an argument. You have no idea what my life has been like. My brother is in prison because he's black. My nephew has been through more hell than I can imagine because he grew up in the ghetto.

And you still want to give peace a chance when these people dont want any of your family to exist and that they're genetically infererior, and that your nephew should stay and die there preferably at a younger age so he doesnt grow into a "supernegro?"

theBmZ

Fuck. I live in Gainesville practically right on campus. I was wondering when these fucks were gonna come to my city. Really hoping we don't have another Charlottesville.

Nah

Fuck. I live in Gainesville practically right on campus. I was wondering when these fucks were gonna come to my city. Really hoping we don't have another Charlottesville.
Well if this letter is any indication, the upper administration is handling this poorly. That's not a good situation.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
And you still want to give peace a chance when these people dont want any of your family to exist and that they're genetically infererior, and that your nephew should stay and die there preferably at a younger age so he doesnt grow into a "supernegro?"

I said it in the other thread, but this discussion is too dispersed.

This is the last I'll reply in this thread. But it's not about the nazis. It's about winning long term, meaningful change for black people in this country. It's about the propaganda that the right will use to make their case. It's about not feeding that propaganda, but instead showing nazis for the violent, hateful pieces of shit they are. I am terrified by how few people don't understand this. Look up the efficacy of nonviolent protest, at least.

If some dumbass listens to you and massacres a bunch of nazis and the next nazi rally, we will be set so far back. It's not about the nazis, it's about the fact that I give a shit about the horror that black people in this country face, and I care more about that then feeding my primal desire to physically hurt fascist pieces of shit.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Make an argument. You have no idea what my life has been like. My brother is in prison because he's black. My nephew has been through more hell than I can imagine because he grew up in the ghetto. I'm passionate about this because violence is the way we lose, and I'm terrified by how many of you don't see that.
"But what about the strategy of non-violent direct action."
RCJtUMD.gif

Sianos

If ISIS, or any other organization that commits acts of terror that claim innocent lives, were to try and recruit at a United States university and hold a rally celebrating themselves, would that still be defended as just some harmless ideological diversity?

I don't think so.

Ms.Galaxy

Let's go with this. What's the worse that can happen?

main_900.jpg

Oops.

Yesterday should have been the day where we realized we are going too far by allowing Nazis to rally. They killed someone and hurt dozens of other protesters. This is what happens when you let them assemble. But no, we have to play a "hearts and minds" game while they continue to hurt and kill people and get support from the President. They want you to do that foolish endeavor, they want you weak. That's why the say things like "so much for the tolerant left" and shit, they want to paint you as hypocrites and make you submissive. You are extremely naive if you fall for this shit.

The left isn't tolerant, we are bloody and violent, and have been since our start in the French Revolution. Every thing that we call progress has come from paving the way with the blood and death of our enemies. Modern democracy, human rights, worker's rights, and so on. Nazism seeks to destroy everything we built on for a regressive genocidal regime, they are a threat to humanity, and if you're too cowardly to accept that violence might be the only solution for an ideology that is inherently violent and murderous, stand aside while others do it.

Feep

Banned
I'm an alumnus. Do me proud, current Gators, and resist.

Not sure of the legality of a public university refusing speakers but I feel like it can be done, and if so, shame on the administration. It's not much, but if that ends up being true, I'll be withholding any donations henceforth. And I'll be saying why when I get those phone calls.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
If someone sees a bunch of Nazis getting slaughtered and think "so much for the tolerant left!!" Then they aren't the hearts and minds you will ever win.

This is such insane bullshit. The left celebrating violence and death will push kids away. It will push moderates away. It will cause us to lose what we care about. Or do you care more for violence than for change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom