• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riots erupt in Sweden’s capital just days after Trump comments (small scale)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

imrs.php

Just two days after President Trump provoked widespread consternation by seeming to imply, incorrectly, that immigrants had perpetrated a recent spate of violence in Sweden, riots broke out in a predominantly immigrant neighborhood in the northern suburbs of Sweden's capital, Stockholm.

The neighborhood, Rinkeby, was the scene of riots in 2010 and 2013, too. And in most ways, what happened late Monday night was reminiscent of those earlier bouts of anger. Swedish police apparently made an arrest around 8 p.m. near the Rinkeby station. For reasons not yet disclosed by the police, word of the arrest prompted a crowd of youths to gather.

Over four hours, the crowd burned about half a dozen cars, vandalized several shopfronts and threw rocks at police. Police spokesman Lars Bystrom confirmed to Sweden's Dagens Nyheter newspaper that an officer fired shots with intention to hit a rioter, but did not strike his target. A photographer for the newspaper was attacked by more than a dozen men and his camera was stolen, but ultimately no one was hurt or even arrested.[/B

Trump the prophet.

Source: Washington Post / Aftonbladet

Based on the footage, it wasn't a big affair:
http://www.dn.se/sthlm/dn-fotograf-misshandlad-i-rinkeby/
Aftonbladet reports only 30-40 people were involved. The initial cause was when police took a person related to a drug case into custody.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Just two days after President Trump provoked widespread consternation by seeming to imply, incorrectly, that immigrants had perpetrated a recent spate of violence in Sweden, riots broke out in a predominantly immigrant neighborhood in the northern suburbs of Sweden's capital, Stockholm.
This is hilarious. This guy should write for The Onion.

link1201

A photographer for the newspaper was attacked by more than a dozen men and his camera was stolen, but ultimately no one was hurt or even arrested.
So was the photographer attacked or not?

And this is why all the outrage about Trumps comments will lead to nothing...

Is he right? No.
Can the right wing media spin this as if Sweden is drowning in refugee violence? Well, at least for their audience this will work, and their audience is massive.

Can't we swedes just vote and opt out of being used by Fox, Trump and the right wing in USA? We really don't want to be a part of that.

Why would you riot in retaliation to the insinuations of a foreign president that you're a violent people?

Someone help me understand this.

Edit: Nevermind, it was related to a drug arrest.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
You could expect more damage following any given major sports championship game.

Isolated, tiny incident. Wake me up when this happens more regularly.

You could expect more damage following any given major sports championship game.

Isolated, tiny incident. Wake me up when this happens more regularly.

Pretty much this. I as a swede am more worried about the mess white football fans cause when certain teams play, then what immigrants do. And I'm a white swedish football fan myself.

Why would you riot in retaliation to the insinuations of a foreign president that you're a violent people?

Someone help me understand this.

It has no connection to Trump, they rioted because someone from their community was arrested and that gave an excuse to have a lil bit of fun.

link1201

The excerpt you just quoted says he was. And that no one was injured.
Hmm, I guess when I think of someone getting attacked especial by numerous people there are injuries involved. If no injuries that seems more like the photographer was harassed.

Glad no one was hurt.

Trump says there is riots and unrest because of immigrants.

He's told he's wrong by the leader of Sweden.

2 days later a riot breaks out but no injuries.....

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist here but this is an inside job right?

Hmm, I guess when I think of someone getting attacked especial by numerous people there are injuries involved. If no injuries that seems more like the photographer was harassed.

Glad no one was hurt.

Verbally attacked? It's a thing I guess

GhostBed

Trump says there is riots and unrest because of immigrants.

He's told he's wrong by the leader of Sweden.

2 days later a riot breaks out but no injuries.....

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist here but this is an inside job right?

Verbally attacked? It's a thing I guess

This was not an inside job. A community member was arrested, locals get upset, a couple of cars get burned and some stones are thrown.

If Trump didn't say what he said, this still would have happened and we would not be hearing about it.

This was not an inside job. A community member was arrested, locals get upset, a couple of cars get burned and some stones are thrown.

If Trump didn't say what he said, this still would have happened and we would not be hearing about it.

Very good point actually.

Aftonbladet reports only 30-40 people were involved. The initial cause was when police took a person related to a drug case into custody.

yeah totally related to trump

trump was behind college kids rioting at a pumpkin festival in new hampshire too

BajiBoxer

Banned
Just the one arrest though, for quite a bit of damage. Shame.

This doesn't seem very true for most countries.

At one time, riots were a weekly event following each Ohio State football game here in Columbus. Also had riots at Ohio U when the time change caused the bars to close an hour early, lol.

Keasar

Yeah from what I am reading, this was in total nothing major. Shameful it happened, but it's not like the Stockholm riots in 2013.

An arrest of a wanted man occurred in the area and it is likely that some criminal groups responded with this. If it was still ongoing, then I would be worried.

http://www.dn.se/sthlm/vrede-over-att-polisen-lat-upploppet-paga/

So the google translation was rough at parts, but sounds like the local police just opted to stay in their cars and do nothing? Also, the police there have a problem where press communication is run all through a central office, meaning answers are slow in coming and filtered?

Is right. According to the article, the police seem to have taken a defensive stance after the first patrols were pelted with rocks and some got injured. I can sorta understand them, last time a riot happened after a police incident, it escalated quickly when responded to and resulted in the 2013 Stockholm Riots I mentioned. They probably wanted to avoid a similar situation from happening? The thing however is that people in Rinkeby felt left alone to their own devices due to this.

And yeah, the press communication are going through Central, so when local police are trying to give answers to the angry locals, they are unable to give any proper ones.

Minamu

The photographer had to spend the night at a hospital so he was clearly injured somehow.

Also, the cops actually fired their guns at least once at the attackers, and not a warning shot either. Not "shoot to kill" perhaps, but to inflict damage nonetheless. Say what you will about the situation in Sweden in general, cops shooting their guns for real is significant as this is probably the first, and maybe last (?), time of the year.

Last year:

NRK team threatened and threw stones after in Sweden

https://www.nrk.no/kultur/nrk-team-truet-og-kastet-stein-etter-i-sverige-1.12934238

There are without a doubt problems with immigration in Sweden. How big the problems are, I don't know.

No one in Sweden is saying that we have no problems stemming from immigration. The reasonable people know that:
1. Sweden's GDP has benefited a lot from immigration.
2. That there will always be asshats doing fucked up shit, especially those who are more disenfranchised.
3. That the crimes perpetuated by immigrants stem mostly from neighborhoods that don't get integrated enough into Swedish society.

The progressives, leftist, liberals, centrists, moderates, and even right wingers of Sweden will just refuse any narrative that immigrants as people are harmful to our society, because treating them as such will never resolve any issues. Fear and hatred will never be the solution.

When being understanding, empathetic, pragmatical and objective, it's not hard to see why focusing on solving the issues around integration, will effectively solve any issues with immigration on a personal level.

Minamu

No one in Sweden is saying that we have no problems stemming from immigration. The reasonable people know that:
1. Sweden's GDP has benefited a lot from immigration.
2. That there will always be asshats doing fucked up shit, especially those who are more disenfranchised.
3. That the crimes perpetuated by immigrants stem mostly from neighborhoods that don't get integrated enough into Swedish society.

The progressives, leftist, liberals, centrists, moderates, and even right wingers of Sweden will just refuse any narrative that immigrants as people are harmful to our society, because treating them as such will never resolve any issues. Fear and hatred will never be the solution.

When being understanding, empathetic, pragmatical and objective, it's not hard to see why focusing on solving the issues around integration, will effectively solve any issues with immigration on a personal level.
This is true. Add to that a media climate that only report on negative news, so one's view of the country gets obscured and don't represent reality as there are always many more immigrants who don't do stupid shit. I'd like to think that most people understand this, but who knows.

Trump is an idiot and not capable of articulating a complete thought or argument, but he's certainly right that Sweden's immigration adventures have been pretty .... lets say bumpy.

At least there weren't any grenades involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom