• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Len Wein (Co-Creator of Swamp Thing, Wolverine, Storm, and more)

Kevinroc

Wein also created Thunderbird and killed him off two issues later.

That may be the shortest run of any character on a team book.

Didn't Grant Morrison introduce, and then kill off, Tomorrow Woman in the same issue? (I know she eventually got better, but who knows what her status is these days.)

Definitely one of the greats. Also a huge influence on Grant Morrison. Most of the cool 80s and 90s writers got inspired by Wein's 70s stuff.

Morrison said Seven Soldiers was a tribute to Wein's work:

"Some have seen the book as an ode to the King, Jack Kirby, and in so many heartfelt ways it is, but Seven Soldiers is also my personal hymn to the poetic imagination of Len Wein, whose 70s work turned me into a teenage fanboy. A great deal of Seven Soldiers – as with so much of the work I’ve done for DC – relates directly to, and expands upon, continuity established by Len. I owe an immense imaginative debt to Wein, who is humble, bemused and patient every time I collar him to tell how much his work meant to me. The way a hero ought to be."

MC Safety

Didn't Grant Morrison introduce, and then kill off, Tomorrow Woman in the same issue? (I know she eventually got better, but who knows what her status is these days.)

I don't think you can count one-off characters. Or maybe that's a pointless distinction.

rakhir

He was kind of a regular on a Nerdist Comic Book writers podcast a couple years back and he always had great stories to tell.
The amount of work he did, especially as an editor, is enormous and he truly was one of the best.

Neoxon

It's unfortunate to see such a legend leave us. My thoughts go out to Len's friends & family. May he rest in peace.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
...Marvel's like 50 words and never mentions DC?

"After cutting his teeth at DC Comics where he co-created Swamp Thing, Wein tried out at Marvel and following a smattering of stories for Westerns and horror books, he quickly showed his promise as a force to be reckoned with on super hero titles."

also RIP legend.

"After cutting his teeth at DC Comics where he co-created Swamp Thing, Wein tried out at Marvel and following a smattering of stories for Westerns and horror books, he quickly showed his promise as a force to be reckoned with on super hero titles."

also RIP legend.

Not in their first statement, the one linked here.

This was all there was when it was posted:
”We are deeply saddened to hear of Len Wein's passing, and send our deepest condolences to his friends and family. Len's contributions to the Marvel Universe as writer, editor, and member of the Marvel family will never be forgotten. He will be missed."

From the WW premiere:
DJZ3MPnUEAAYVeq.jpg:large

Top Bottom