• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider controls: why is it so loose and clunky?

noomi

Input lag is what's killing it for me right now, I'm playing a PC monitor with very low input delay and I'm still having a hard time landing precision hits.

I really hope they address this sooner than later.

nynt9

Input lag is what's killing it for me right now, I'm playing a PC monitor with very low input delay and I'm still having a hard time landing precision hits.

I really hope they address this sooner than later.

Same, I'm also on a PC monitor with very low lag so it's really noticeable.

It isn't. The platforming is as automatic as ever. It's braindead. The only way you'll miss a ledge is if you are not near it at all...like at all. She is magnetic. If you're anywhere near a ledge, the worst that will happen is that she'll grab it and you'll have to press X to get your grip.

There is no challenge whatsoever to the platforming in this game.

The platforming is very automatic, and the jumping isn't challenging, I'm not complaining that it is, the problem I have with it is that the platforming is inconsistent and coupled with the input lag it's imprecise and unresponsive. What ledges you can actually jump onto is inconsistent, and there are some ledges that are basically at your jump height but you can't grab onto them so you can't actually jump there. It's just badly designed autoplatforming. In Assassin's Creed for example, everything that you can jump to is something you can grab and climb onto. Not so much here. And with old PS1 TR your movement controls were extremely consistent in how they reacted to you, so there were no surprises. Even in TR2013 the movement was better.

Yeah, this is also very disappointing, and the tombs are still small-ish challenge chambers that can easily become frustrating due to the horrible platforming, so the game isn't a big improvement over the original to me except visually (and it looks great), in fact it being the same thing a second time around kinda makes it worse and it's less focused.

Despite all the praise all I have seen about the game reminds me of TRR. I'm sure all the praise for the ROTR is based on the fact it is TRR with a fresh coat of paint. My interest is waning.

I lament the direction TR took in the reboot. TR was never about shooting but exploration and puzzles. I mean the shooting was there but that was second to exploration.All of a sudden the next games needs to be more gritty, more extreme, more covery system.

nib95

Banned
Is it significantly different from Tomb Raider 2013?

Yes. I had no such issues with Tomb Raider on the 360, which felt smooth and accurate in comparison. RotTR's aiming feels disjointed and imprecise. I think it's a combination of input lag, poor aiming acceleration, and an overly large deadzone. The weird thing is, I also feel that Halo 5's aiming acceleration and movement is also pretty erratic and imprecise. Something somewhere has to have gone wrong with this latest batch of games. Maybe dev kit or controller firmware differences?

Skilletor

Despite all the praise all I have seen about the game reminds me of TRR. I'm sure all the praise for the ROTR is based on the fact it is TRR with a fresh coat of paint. My interest is waning.

My initial impressions were more positive, because the "challenge" Tomb actually stopped to make me think for a second before I figured it out, as opposed to the first game where I figured out the solution and didn't realize it was supposed to be a "puzzle."

But now I've completed 7/9 of the challenge tombs and they're not huge multi-room events as I thought they would be (pretty sure I've read somewhere that that's what would happen). I don't know how far along I am in the main game, but yeah, this is more of the same. How much you'll like that will depend on how much you enjoyed the first game. For me, not much at all.

Devil

Movement and aiming is what I hate about Uncharted and thought was very well done in TR 2013 (on 360 though, don't like the DS3 for shooters at all). I'm eagerly awaiting the PS4 release of ROTR and bad aiming and movement would totally kill all anticipation :(

I'd be happy if it is close to TR 2013.

nynt9

My initial impressions were more positive, because the "challenge" Tomb actually stopped to make me think for a second before I figured it out, as opposed to the first game where I figured out the solution and didn't realize it was supposed to be a "puzzle."

But now I've completed 7/9 of the challenge tombs and they're not huge multi-room events as I thought they would be (pretty sure I've read somewhere that that's what would happen). I don't know how far along I am in the main game, but yeah, this is more of the same. How much you'll like that will depend on how much you enjoyed the first game. For me, not much at all.

Yeah the challenge tomb thing is disappointing. They're a bit more involved than the ones in the previous game, but not by far.

NZNova

Loved the game but yeah the aiming was really awkward. Didn't stop me from finishing the game, but it made the gun battles way less enjoyable than they should have been.

It was the first thing I noticed when I picked up the game. It was especially noticeable cause I was just coming in fresh off MGSV.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They patched the game this weekend and according to the patch notes it didn't fix this :|
I'm not sure if there ever was a game that patched input lag tbh. The circumstances that cause input lag to happen are usually centered around the design of rendering pipeline and its integration with the game logic. Basically the very core of what makes the game work.

jelly

I'm not sure if there ever was a game that patched input lag tbh. The circumstances that cause input lag to happen are usually centered around the design of rendering pipeline and its integration with the game logic. Basically the very core of what makes the game work.

Well, that sucks. Hope that isn't true.

DF said the 360 version doesn't suffer the same problem.

Wow... Had NO IDEA about the input lag and I literally just bought this (haven't opened)...

look like I'll just pick up the PS4 version down the road then (assuming there's no lag)

Thanks OP!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
A new patch for the Xbone version came out yesterday. Still no fix for the input lag.

So, I'm assuming now it will never be fixed.

Top Bottom