• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

What a load of crap. Why can't they say if this is coming to PC/PS4/PS3 or not.

I think exclusivity is dumb, but come on. You know why. Because Microsoft probably paid them.

It's the same reason Crystal Dynamics isn't going to post a blog post saying "oh by the way that Xbox conference was bullshit, we actually are releasing in 2016 on other platforms" the day of the Gamescom announcement. If Microsoft did pay for timed exclusivity, part of that is the additional PR you get from saying "the game's only coming out on Xbox One!" You can't just turn around and say "actually it's not" because Microsoft wouldn't like it.

That said, this is why I hate timed exclusive announcements like this: because it's bullshit for the consumer. Imagine going out and buying an Xbox One because you heard the next Tomb Raider game would be exclusive, only to find a PS4 or PC version was actually coming a few months later. You'd be pissed if you spent $400 or $500 you didn't actually have to spend. Granted, there might not be that many people in that position, but whatever. It's cheating people out of money.

aTTckr

Does "holidays" end after Christmas or is New Year's usually also included? Otherwise it might be exclusive only until December 26, 2015.

I forgot who said it, but I'm starting to dig the theory that Square-Enix didn't want to pit this game against Uncharted 4 and Microsoft needed something to compete against it. It seemed like it was a mutually beneficial arrangement. Especially if CBOAT's claim is true, then Square-Enix can release the PS4/PC versions when the coast is clear.

Is it though?

While the game is too far off for the current PR nightmare/outburst to sustain itself, TR2 is starting off with a black mark on its identity. It needs to be really freaking awesome to shut down that negative PR.

Based on the official statement it really does sound like it's going to be exclusive only in 2015, as in other platforms will get it in 2016. They'll never admit to it being timed only though, they want you to get the game on Xbox rather than wait for other platforms.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
holy fuck

Shinobi and Cboat posting in the same thread?

we crossed the streams fuckers hold on.

Gozer-the-Gozerian.jpg

I just don't understand why MS would think this is a good idea. If it's timed, they should have known it'd leak and lead to even more negative press. That's the last thing they should want right now.

Timed exclusive for an entire game is still huge. People make a big fuss about timed exclusive DLC. Hope this sets a fire under Sony's ass to actually do something about the PS4, but somehow I think our next update is going to be yet another stability update.
Yes The good thing that came out of this is that Sony better get off their ass and do something. Desperate Sony, was such a good Sony during the PS3's comeback. And as you said, I think they're still comfortable enough to do nothing.

oti

Banned
Reboot was a great game. The fact it was a contender for GotY in 2013 speaks volumes.

It just got massively overshadowed by GTAV, BI and TLoU. Even more so for TLoU because it seemed like everything that TR wanted to achieve with Lara ( protect her, blahblah), Ellie did it better.

I liked it too, although not as much as others. At least it was more interesting than Uncharted 3 which really disappointed me :(

So TR vs. Uncharted 4 Fall 2015 maybe?

DynDasE

Neo Member
So, they think stealing studio is still working.

HALO -> Bought from Apple -> worked
Rare -> Bought from Nintendo -> Didn't worked

Now -> Bought (timed) exclusive of Tomb Raider ? -> Pretty much commercially flop.

At least hired them to make a new IP ! Sunset Overdrive looks ridiculously enjoyable.

Vorg

Banned
You know, I hate shit like this. Exclusive third party games are fine if they are new ip's or a dormant franchise being resurrected. Sunset overdrive, Titan fall, Scalebound.

But to put the fucking definitive edition on the ps4 and say "nope, you can't play the sequel" is really fucking scummy.

It's not even my biggest issue with this crap. It's the fact that it had been announced and Microsoft just paid for it to be taken away from all the other platforms.

Pikma

Banned
If this is indeed a "Timed" one, and it seems we're closing in on that being the case, this is even MORE of an insane deal for Square Enix to have penned. Piss off the majority of the franchises fanbase, damage sales, all for a one time cash boost in the short term.

On one of the biggest IP's in their stable.

That only benefits the struggling Xbox brand, whose future has recently had doubts raised about its longevity.

Theres just no fucking upside to this for CD or Square Enix. Morons.
Heh, piss off the majority of what? People don't care about this kind of things, PS4 users will still get it once it comes out there. Not everyone is a emotionally driven man children like we enthusiasts are.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I just don't understand why MS would think this is a good idea. If it's timed, they should have known it'd leak and lead to even more negative press. That's the last thing they should want right now.
Why would they think thisway tho lol? All companies make deals....

I mean I get it they arent the media darling right now but goddamn.

byropoint

I just finished the 2013 Tomb Raider yesterday on my PC, fantastic game, immediately went on my anticipation list and now this... :/ What the hell

I would lol if MS bought 'lifetime' exclusivity for TR2, just like they did for Titanfall, just to shut down these 'timed' speculations.

Because let's face, that was the reason they did it for Titanfall. They clearly didn't enjoy the implications of Titanfall (1)'s exclusivity was timed.

BlackJace

So, they think stealing studio is still working.

HALO -> Bought from Apple -> worked
Rare -> Bought from Nintendo -> Didn't worked

Now -> Bought (timed) exclusive of Tomb Raider ? -> Pretty much commercially flop.

At least hired them to make a new IP ! Sunset Overdrive looks ridiculously enjoyable.

How does buying a studio amount to "stealing" it?

Heh, piss off the majority of what? People don't care about this kind of things, PS4 users will still get it once it comes out there. Not everyone is a emotionally driven man children like we enthusiasts are.

I know a fair few casual gamers who are incredibly pissed off now. Obviously this won't be a majority but people I never expected to even know about the news.

meanspartan

Isn't Microsoft laying off lots of people?

Maybe don't waste money turning 3rd parties into your personal whores. And shame on Crystal Dynamics for spitting on their own fans

SykoTech

Still at work (lunch break), missed out on the craziness. :/

When I first heard though, my first thought is that this was entirely about Uncharted. MS obviously wants to have their "Uncharted-killer" and SE knows that there's no way they could take on U4 on the PS4 next holiday. So now, MS gets their (temporary) exclusive Uncharted-esque game, SE gets a bag of money, and Tomb Raider 2 gets some breathing room on the PS4 from U4. Seems logical.

I skipped out on the first game myself. Didn't like the direction they took with it at all. Sucks for PC/PS4 gamers that were really anticipating it next year though.

Also, I don't know how anyone could think this is anything other than a timed-exclusive. But nice to see some insiders confirming it for the super skeptical people.

Paracelsus

I can't think of one single western late port in the PS3 days that didn't end up bombing horribly, I could be remembering wrong though.

RoKKeR

I thought it was clear from the wording that it was timed for Holiday 2015.

I really don't understand why MS would shell out for this. is this really going to sell consoles when people know it will be coming to other platforms?

KoopaTheCasual

LOL I love watching all of Microsoft and SE trying to push the PR into making it seem exclusive, when its now obvious that its a timed exclusive from their wording (Plus the CBOAT and Shinobi posts too).

I bet its times like this they wish every gamer was a stupid as they treat us.
I bet they despise proliferation of internet forums in general. The message gained from the discourse in this thread would have taken months to spread without an easily accessible system like a forum.

Old tactics of timed-moneyhatting are running their course and will probably be much less common in the coming years.

LNBL

You think all gamers follow this news so tightly like we did here on gaf? They are still getting the game exclusively on Xbox one in that period of time. Negative press? You're making this a much bigger deal than it actually is.

Top Bottom