• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider's garbage combat

geordiemp

Noticed it when I reviewed the game. I pretty much ran through the combat sections just to get through them. The input lag was dreadful, worse than the first game. Rockstar or Epic Games needs to show every developer how to do third person shooting controls ha.

Dont forget Killzone devs, they seem to like input lag and heavy controls as well.

I just cant enjoy games that do this, even GTA 5 I could not stomach for that long

noomi

This is what completely ruined the experience for me, and why I stopped playing until I am able to pick it up on PC later this month.

Not trying to start shit or anything, but anyone think it's due to the hardware limitations of the xb1? Curious to see what it's like on the ps4 later this year...

This is what completely ruined the experience for me, and why I stopped playing until I am able to pick it up on PC later this month.

Not trying to start shit or anything, but anyone think it's due to the hardware limitations of the xb1? Curious to see what it's like on the ps4 later this year...

Doubt it's hardware limitations, since the 360 version controls perfectly with almost no lag.

Marvel

could never
I find it really irritating how some post "Fix your tv" I'd like to think most of us here on GAF are fully aware about modern TV's and how to calibrate. Myself included.

Mine are and it's bad on both of my TV's, sucks to be sensitive to this in games tbh.

noomi

Doubt it's hardware limitations, since the 360 version controls perfectly with almost no lag.

Honestly it could be, but the 360 is also running at 720p (?) with lesser graphics.

Either way, it stinks that the input lag is so bad on the xb1, makes it very difficult to enjoy the game. Was nearly impossible for me to make precision headshots as well. Hope that this gets addressed one day.

$h@d0w

Thanks for the heads up on this, definately not buying it now.

I actually thought Tomb Raider 2013 was quite lagged.

zsynqx

I don't recall shooting at any waste or dumpsters

f344ac28fa332eb2fa5fdf793d39cd2b.gif

Anon67

I don't recall shooting at any waste or dumpsters

You're right, but if you look at your map, you can find all the trash in the world and pick it up. It's like you are combating littering aka garbage combat. And you learn languages by doing this! Lol

mindsale

Definitely noticed jankiness aiming - I rarely bothered to line up headshots because an enemy would move about 3 times before it aligned.

Also the first time I beat the game, it froze and crashed on the final section within 2 minutes of booting it up. This happened for about 10 attempts. I thought my save was corrupted and I'd never be able to complete it. Then I got through the scripting problem or whatever it was. That was day 2 or 3, I believe I was using a day-one firmware patch.

Both those problems pale in comparison to the game having the same weapons and upgrades as its prequel. The environments are splendid, but it's a different coat of paint on the same game.

jimboton

I picked up RotTR from my library this weekend and I noticed that the camera controls felt a bit off. I said, okay, it shouldn't be a big deal, given that it's a single player game.

But holy shit wtf. The sluggish camera controls are totally garbage for the combat in this game. I can't aim quickly and precisely in this game while I can in basically every other game (in either 30 or 60 FPS). There seems to be some sort of delay or a huge deadzone on the right stick causing input delay or something similar (because of bad Vsync?) How can I aim people in the head when I have to deal with unresponsive camera controls? WTF, the game is pretty awesome with the tombs and the explorations, but when it comes to combat...it's awful because of the camera. This reminds me of playing CSGO with a controller along with really bad VSync.

I had a similar problem in Halo 5 but that was basically alleviated when they added an option to reduce the massive inner dead zones. I have had no problems with any other games I've played recently or in the past. The responsiveness on the last Tomb Raider on PC was incredible.

Has anyone else noticed this? How is this not a bigger issue given the combat is somewhat a large component of the game?
The fact that you experience this with Halo is strange. What tv are you using?

I had no issues with the camera or controls in Rise of the Tomb Raider. I did have issues with the fact that the combat was largely boring. Enemies act in a very predictable and repetitive manner. Many of them rush you with melee weapons and simply run in a straight line toward you from a mile away, while they're supposed to be members of an elite secret society. No one trained them to do anything but "run" very slowly toward people shooting at them. None of the combat scenarios felt fresh, engaging or strategic. I also found the lack of a run and gun and/or blind fire from cover mechanic, odd. I don't seem to remember having issues with the previous Tomb Raider's combat, but Rise's stood out to me as fairly lackluster.

Anon67

The fact that you experience this with Halo is strange. What tv are you using?

The issue in Halo 5 was nowhere as extreme as it is in RotTR but I felt a very small delay that didn't help my aim at all. Reducing the deadzones helped a bunch. I didn't have a problem with any other Halo game. Idk what model my TV is but I have a Sony TV from 2009.

jimboton

The issue in Halo 5 was nowhere as extreme as it is in RotTR but I felt a very small delay that didn't help my aim at all. Reducing the deadzones helped a bunch. I didn't have a problem with any other Halo game. Idk what model my TV is but I have a Sony TV from 2009.

hmm, if I reall correctly 2008 sony tvs were exceptionally good for input lag.... but I think they drastically reversed that trend in 2009 which were pretty bad for games. In any case, if you don't have problems in other games perhaps it's something else. Use 'Game' or 'Pc' mode if the tv has it, that may help.

Teletraan1

Banned
I find it really irritating how some post "Fix your tv" I'd like to think most of us here on GAF are fully aware about modern TV's and how to calibrate. Myself included.

Mine are and it's bad on both of my TV's, sucks to be sensitive to this in games tbh.

The people who do adjust their TVs are probably the ones who are the most sensitive to it. I know I am one. My mother actually hated her HDTV until I shut off all that motion control bullshit. She thought she was going crazy because there was something wrong with the way she perceived the images. Once I shut it all off and calibrated the picture for her she loved it. My dad, totally opposite. I would adjust his TV every time I went over there, turn off all that shit, turn off torch mode and every time I went back it was all set to default again so I gave up on that.

I know a lot of people who game away blissfully ignorant of things such as input lag, low frame rate, screen tearing and judder/frame pacing. Often it isn't until it is pointed out that they start to notice. I have had multiple people give me shit for pointing out things they were ignorant to and now it bothers them, screen tearing being the most obvious. Same thing happened with Pan and Scan movies on TV. That shit used to make me queasy, other people didn't even notice it until I pointed it out.

The point of this is that it bothers some people more than others. I wish I was not as sensitive to it but I am. I think it has a lot to do with bailing on the 360/ps3 gen super early and going PC only where I always strive for high, stable frame rates over graphics. Do 5+ years where everything you play is 60 and this all becomes a lot more noticeable.

The only way to play through this game in harder dificulty levels is with shotguns and explosive/poison arrows. The input lag is real and is a shame that CD does not fix it yet

Anon67

hmm, if I reall correctly 2008 sony tvs were exceptionally good for input lag.... but I think they drastically reversed that trend in 2009 which were pretty bad for games. In any case, if you don't have problems in other games perhaps it's something else. Use 'Game' or 'Pc' mode if the tv has it, that may help.

I bought a Samsung 4K tv (7000 series) and I definitely noticed that the input delay was much less than that of my Sony tv. Playing Halo 5 pre-patch on the 4K TV was incredible, multiplayer became a joke since my aim was so good. I had to return it to Costco since it was an awful tv for movie watching, but from that whole experience, I've noted that my TV does have a somewhat large amount of input lag, probably more than average, I guess? Idk. I've had no problem in other Halo games and all of the cod games. I actually stopped playing CoD games because it became too easy for me LOL. I've connected my PC to my computer and played the Dead Space games at 60+ FPS and all of those games felt extremely responsive. Played Tomb Raider at around 45-60 FPS and I had no problems at all with aiming.

Amir0x

Banned
yup, thank god i didn't have to pay money to try this game. I mean they replaced good OG TR gameplay with tons of shoot-out arenas and then managed to fuck that part of the formula up too for the sequel.

Now sanitized exploration, sanitized tombs, sanitized puzzles and shit gunplay. 8.6/10.

dralla

I played the demo and I couldn't believe how poorly the game controlled. There's a delay on everything and Lara feels so unwieldy because of it. I don't understand how people are looking past it.

Anon67

so i went ahead and tried the demo....

....and i honestly thought it was fine. Seriously, it was more or less in line with how 2013 XB1 version felt. A little heavy but fine if youre not expecting this to be Uncharted @ 60fps or Titanfall

so yeah, im actually gonna take back what i said and pick this up now :)

I played the demo and I couldn't believe how poorly the game controlled. There's a delay on everything and Lara feels so unwieldy because of it. I don't understand how people are looking past it.

Well damn

Harlequin

I really have to wonder whether this was done on purpose or not. I mean, Lara used to have a heavier, less floaty feel to her back in the day (which is something many people nowadays make fun of but many fans of the series actually appreciate and hugely prefer over the floaty controls of, say, Legend) so if the input lag affects everything, not just the camera controls it could be Crystal's attempt at returning some weight to Lara's controls. However, the 360 version not having the input lag would suggest that it's not intentional.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If I slow down Titanfall it does that, or any game, there is always input lag of some sort, consoles don't poll the controller at 0 ms and TVs and monitors don't operate at 0 MS.
Your video shows ~200ms input lag. That's a LOT. Most 30FPS games are around 130 at most, and around 100 if developer knows what they're doing. 60FPS games are almost always below 100ms. It's bad enough already on your TV but consider that for some people it will only be worse if they have TV with more lag than you.

The only way to play through this game in harder dificulty levels is with shotguns and explosive/poison arrows. The input lag is real and is a shame that CD does not fix it yet
This kind of thing is usually deep rooted in the intertwining of rendering pipeline and game logic. It's unlikely it can just be patched. More than likely they have to rethink / rewrite the way their engine works.

I really have to wonder whether this was done on purpose or not.
Input lag is never a design choice. It's always bourne out of bad technical design or limitations.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It was mildly annoying, but I got used to it quick and didn't have many problems. I only played on normal though.

ethomaz

Banned
I really have to wonder whether this was done on purpose or not. I mean, Lara used to have a heavier, less floaty feel to her back in the day (which is something many people nowadays make fun of but many fans of the series actually appreciate and hugely prefer over the floaty controls of, say, Legend) so if the input lag affects everything, not just the camera controls it could be Crystal's attempt at returning some weight to Lara's controls. However, the 360 version not having the input lag would suggest that it's not intentional.
So they removed it on 360 on purpose too because Lara's body is lighter in this version.

C'mon I'm starting to think I'm an idiot reading these replies :(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Input lag is never a design choice. It's always bourne out of bad technical design or limitations.

Reminds me of the "bu bu bu Killzone is supposed to be WEIGHTY and REALISTIC!"

Yeah....naw son. They even significantly eliminated it in KZ3

This kind of thing is usually deep rooted in the intertwining of rendering pipeline and game logic. It's unlikely it can just be patched. More than likely they have to rethink / rewrite the way their engine works.

You seem to understand the underlining technology at play with regards to input lag. If you had to guess, what would you say is the likelihood of it being fixed in the PC version?

YOU!

Please do this with Xenoblade Chronicles X (if you have it). Because I KNOW that game has some of the worst input lag I've ever felt and not a single damn reviewer brought it up at all. It can't just be me.
Xenoblade X is not a shooter, so, is not a big deal...

No. Input lag is fucking horrible no matter what game you're playing.

Eh, for an exploration game with menu based combat I think a little lag is pretty acceptable, and probably has to do with all the shit going on in that game visually. It's low on the priority list.

The fact that there's people in this thread like "I finished the game on hardest and had no trouble lolololol" is hilarious. It's been proven to be a problem and saying you didnt notice it means nothing, or it means you were oblivious to it.

Agree with you, but is not the same, you can deal with a input lag on a action rpg like XCX, but no in a shooter like TR or something like COD, or a racing game.
True, it's less debilitating, but it still irks the shit out of me. I can't even handle it in classic JRPGs.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It was called out by Digital Foundry. The game has very large input lag. Somewhat humoroursly, the X360 version of the game has much less input lag than XB1 version does.

lol, that might be why I'm not noticing it because I played (and just recently beat the 360 version.

I found that the game didn't really get super combat heavy with wave upon wave of mooks until about the last hour. By the time I got sick of that shit, the game was over. Its really too bad because most of the enemy encounters...and the game over all is much better paced when everything slows down.

dedhead54

I had no idea this was a known problem with this game. I recently completed TR:DE and was excited to buy this very soon for my XB1. I still will and hopefully it won't bother me like it does some others.

I had no idea this was a known problem with this game. I recently completed TR:DE and was excited to buy this very soon for my XB1. I still will and hopefully it won't bother me like it does some others.

Playing the game a more stealthy way alleviates it because you aren't aiming quickly, but it is definitely something that's irritating. I don't think you should not buy it though, even though it was noticeable to me, the game is one of my favorites from this year.

Clockwork5

This is something I only began to notice in the past 3 years or so and god damn, does it ruin everything for me...

Thanks for the heads up, OP. I'll keep an eye out for this when the PS4 version arrives. I really like TR so I hope this isn't an issue.

Het_Nkik

YOU!

Please do this with Xenoblade Chronicles X (if you have it). Because I KNOW that game has some of the worst input lag I've ever felt and not a single damn reviewer brought it up at all. It can't just be me.

I'll do it once I start the game. No problem. I'll hit you up.

Just curious (for estimating timings): was the Splatoon footage captured at 30 FPS or 60 FPS?

The game was running at 60fps. The camera was recording at 30. The gif after being converted was running at 25 (40ms per frame) before I slowed it way down. I know those last two points were the same as the Tomb Raider gif.

I can re-test in the main plaza of Splatoon as I'm reading that runs at 30.

Top Bottom